View Full Version : Hitting loose gravel in a turn

RedCromwell
July 25th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Two weeks ago, I entered a familiar curve to merge into traffic, and encountered some sand/loose gravel, I hadn't noticed, while leaning into the turn. To my surprise/horror my rear tire slid out from under me and my bike began to go down.

Instinctively, I put my right foot down and kicked off the ground to get upright. I saved the bike from going down but went across two lanes of traffic to do so. Luckily, I had the green light and there were no cars in either lane.

I was shaken up but continued my morning commute without incident.

One of the things I know I did wrong was forget to "SEE" prior to going into a curve I've grown comfortable with.

The day before, we had a big thunderstorm which generated flash floods. The flooding washed gravel and sand (probably still around from winter de-icing) down the road I ride and pooled right in the curve.

I should've taken it a little easier the day after the storm just to check out the road conditions.

Well, since then, I find myself timid when taking turns. I can't just bring myself to lean like before. I've been slowing waaay down and taking the turns fully upright.

I took a ride this morning on a nice quiet road with some easy curves and I still couldn't do it. I know it's all in my head... I just hope I'll get over it soon before my nerves make me a wreck... literally.

tapdiggy
July 25th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I had a crash like that on my 3rd ride ever on my ninja. I didn't keep the bike up though. It made me a bit scared of corners too. It took a few months to feel good about taking corners at full pace. It was really helpful for me to think about what I did that resulted in a crash scenario, and focus on refining my riding skills so as not to repeat the mistakes. It sounds like you are doing that self-evaluation already.
As far as that voice in your head saying, "I can't do this," it's right. You can't go fast if your brain isn't prepared to go fast. The mental aspect of riding is like the physical aspect of a sport. If a runner sprains his ankle, he isn't gonna be back at top speed the next morning.
Time and practice builds confidence. As you gain confidence in your ability, combined with what you learned from your near-crash, you will get faster. Hang in there>:thumbup:

00NissanNinja
July 25th, 2010, 11:10 PM
:whathesaid: Just have to build your confidence back up, it will come with time. I always try to assume there is gravel in a turn until I can see completely through the turn.

ally99
July 26th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Great advice already given, but I wanted to tell you that you are not alone! My hubby and I do a good bit of mountain riding. I low-sided once, and it took me months and several mountain trips to get back in my comfort zone on any corner. I was nervous, tense, and slow for a while. You will get more comfortable again, but it just takes time. The best thing about those kinds of mistakes (especially since you didn't actually drop the bike!) is what we learn from them. Upon reflecting and thinking about my accident, I became a MUCH better rider.
Good luck! Know that it's normal to feel like that and that most of us have been right there with you at one point or another. :thumbup:
Ally

Guinss
July 26th, 2010, 05:39 AM
The more you drive, the faster you will gain confidence again. So get back out there! ;)
Im impressed that you managed to save the bike like that, with your foot.

RedCromwell
July 26th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Thanks, I'm definitely still hitting the roads as much as I can.

I'm just disappointed in myself for not being able to "carve up the twisties" like I want to.

It's a battle in my brain right now... the analytical side runs through all the technical details before I take a turn... the creative (?) side says just "go with the flow".

adouglas
July 30th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Eventually reading the road becomes second nature. You can predict where gravel is likely to be based on the road configuration and avoid it long before you can actually see the gravel itself.

You also wind up with this unconscious habit of looking for sand and gravel at intersections.

Examples:

Curvy road with proper camber: Gravel will collect at, or just past, the apex of the curve because people in ginormous SUVs tend to pinch the line and go off pavement momentarily.

Hilly terrain: Gravel will collect at the bottom of the hill, but over on the right edge of the road because traffic will sweep the travel lane clean.

Tee intersections: There will be a triangular patch of gravel in the center of the tee, usually just off the travel line of the road that forms the top of the T. This is because turning traffic sweeps the left and right turn lines, but not the spot between them. Nobody ever passes over that spot unless they're on a bike.

Sailariel
July 30th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Great advice, Andrew. I remember way back when my instructor at The Jim Russell Driving school gave the same advice. You not only have to see around a curve but equally important is seeing the camber, crown, and erosion signs on the side of the road when you are going down a hill. You may find a surprise on the bottom.

adouglas
July 30th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Another one that I remembered on the ride home last night:

Look for construction sites and farms. When trucks come of the driveways they often spread all kinds of crap on the road.

welcome2thedawn
August 4th, 2010, 09:38 PM
wow...i'm really glad i read this...it's something i used to worry about quite a bit....now that i am much more comfortable, especially taking the usual routes, i don't think about it so much...that is pretty awesome that you were able to catch it with your foot...and that you were able to continue on...i think i would have had to pull over for bit and collect my nerves...glad you and the bike are ok :)