View Full Version : Sold 250r - what should I get now?

sixstring
July 26th, 2010, 09:28 AM
So after just a year of ownership, I had to sell my 250r recently to pay for some work that needs to be done on my new house.

Soon I'll be in the market for a new bike. Not sure what to get. A few bikes I'm interested in:

1992 or 1995 CBR250RR MC22
This bike is rare in Canada which means I'll have a unique bike but on the other hand getting parts for it would be a pain. Given the high rev nature of the bike and the age, I'm afraid I may be doing more maintenance than riding.

1998 or 2003 ZX7R
A classic racing legend. I love this bike but its really hard to find a clean one and it also uses carbs....

2008 ZX6R
Its fuel injected

Brand new 2009 zx6r
I managed to get a really good price on one... BUT I'm not a huge fan of the super aggressive riding position, or the looks of the bike, nor do I need the kind of performance its capable of. But its new which means I can break it in the way I like and I'm not inheriting anyone else's problems.

Any thoughts on these bikes?
Decisions decisions

ztrack157
July 26th, 2010, 09:48 AM
2009 GSXR 600 the seat is way more comfortable than the zx6r

almost40
July 26th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Literbike

bob706
July 26th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Ninja 250 - I hear it's a great bike :thumbup:

adouglas
July 26th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Dream bike: BMW S1000RR

More realistic performance-oriented step-up: Pick your favorite 600

Real-world practical step-up: Suzuki SV650S

The SV650 is, I think, under-appreciated. It's always gotten good reviews, appears to be popular with racers, reportedly has nice power delivery for real-world riding and is relatively inexpensive. The riding position is sportier than the 250 (and the Ninja 650), but it's not supersport-extreme. The seat is low enough to be called user-friendly. It's got fully adjustable suspension.

About the only thing I don't like about it is the styling, which I find to be rather bland and dated.

When I think about the next bike, my gonads tell me I want a supersport ... a ZX6R, a CBR600RR or a GSXR600. My head tells me I'd be happier with an SV650.

A supersport is the one you hop in the sack with on the first date and have the ride of your life... but you know you're going to have to put up with her crap the next day. An SV650 is the one you take home to meet the parents... but who is one of those "don't let the glasses fool ya" types.

Jaymi
July 26th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Dream bike: BMW S1000RR

More realistic performance-oriented step-up: Pick your favorite 600

Real-world practical step-up: Suzuki SV650S

The SV650 is, I think, under-appreciated. It's always gotten good reviews, appears to be popular with racers, reportedly has nice power delivery for real-world riding and is relatively inexpensive. The riding position is sportier than the 250 (and the Ninja 650), but it's not supersport-extreme. The seat is low enough to be called user-friendly. It's got fully adjustable suspension.

About the only thing I don't like about it is the styling, which I find to be rather bland and dated.

When I think about the next bike, my gonads tell me I want a supersport ... a ZX6R, a CBR600RR or a GSXR600. My head tells me I'd be happier with an SV650.

A supersport is the one you hop in the sack with on the first date and have the ride of your life... but you know you're going to have to put up with her crap the next day. An SV650 is the one you take home to meet the parents... but who is one of those "don't let the glasses fool ya" types.

Haha!! I love this!

adouglas
July 26th, 2010, 12:14 PM
There is much to be said for sexy librarians....

Actually, the analogy isn't bad. I've been married for longer than many of you have been alive, and here's a bit of wisdom.

In the grand scheme of things, one of the best traits a spouse can possibly have is the ability to be a good roommate.

Because, while things may start out all romantic, with the idea of finding your soul mate high up on the list, passionate white-hot sex, heartfelt devotion and all that...

... at the end of the day you have to live with the person.

So you have to appreciate your mate for her/his ability to form a lasting relationship.

A bike that you love to ride once a week but can't stand after a few hours for whatever reason (comfort, noise, too much to deal with in the real world) is probably not a great choice. A bike that you can hop on any time and go have a blast with will give you a much more rewarding experience. Even if she's not the kind who wears stilettos and short skirts all the time.

Snake
July 26th, 2010, 12:15 PM
My vote is for the ZX6R.

sixstring
July 26th, 2010, 12:18 PM
@adouglas

I can actually get a new S1000RR for about a grand more than the zx6. Great deal but the insurance will kill me. I'm also not positive that the listing isn't a scam :p

I thought about getting the SV650S for a long time. I've sat on the old and new models and I have to say the riding position feels about the same as the 2007 zx6. The looks of the SV650 just doesn't sit well with me. It looks much better as a naked bike or a street fighter custom.... which I'm not really into.

@snake
2007 or 2009?

Anyone have any thoughts on the ZX7?

sharky nrk
July 26th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I think I would like a ZX7 for a track bike, something about it draws me in. I have a 6R and really love it so no issues there. S1000RR is FTW but the cost and insurance = not so much.

Daeldren
July 26th, 2010, 05:08 PM
this

http://www.moriwaki.co.jp/product/photo/ccr/md250.jpg

Oh wait you wanted something for the street

Flashmonkey
July 26th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Well you got a hell of a list there....comprised of somewhat different bikes that span a few different generations haha.

Anyway...what are your priorities?

The 2008/2009 zx6r bikes are more or less identical...with the exception of one being brand new...which shouldn't really matter all that much to be honest.

A CBR250RR has the potential to be a PITA and a money pit....especially if buy a lemon, which is fairly easy considering the age (and the integrity of the available dealers in toronto ;))

The 7R is a big, old, outdated monster...somehwhat like my water buffalo gixxer 750. It's comfy (somewhat), stable at low and high speed, and makes a surprisingly good commuter. It's heavy, though. Unless you have the physical size and/or experience handling bikes this heavy, I'd suggest you check one out first to make sure you're comfortable with it.

sixstring
July 26th, 2010, 07:53 PM
@Flashmonkey

Have we met at Pannon Motorsports before?

Yes it is quite a list. It just goes to show that I really haven't made up my mind yet. The CBR250RR seems the closest option to the 250R. From seeing a few on the streets its capable of the same high-revving fun... but with about 15-20 ponies more it may do better on the highways. BUT the potential PITA factor is a huge turn-off.

I've sat on a few ZX7s and I like the level of comfort compared to modern sports bikes. Although its supposed to be 100 pounds heavier than the 205, I don't find it too bad but then again I haven't ridden it either... and finding a clean one is a bit of a pain.

I mainly do highway and inner city commuting (80kmph 50mph) but I love to carve up twisty roads whenever I get the chance. From what I've read so far, the ZX7 seems to be a great bike for that.

addy126
July 26th, 2010, 08:50 PM
My vote is for the ZX6R.

Ditto:thumbup:

gogoKawi
July 26th, 2010, 08:55 PM
As an owner of an 08 ZX6, I would say to not get one. I love my bike. But, the 09 is slightly more comfortable and has better mid-range power. I rode my friend's and the difference between the two is enough to recommend the 09 over the 08. Also, you can get a leftover 09 for a very good price right now.

The most comfortable super sport is the CBR (maybe the BMW) IMHO. I don't know how they do it. But, it doesn't feel aggressive at all but still feels like you can make the bike go wherever you want.

You have a wide range of bikes listed. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the newer bikes. They are all relatively close in performance. The style and ergos are the difference makers. That ZX7 has always been an eye catcher for me. Good luck finding a clean one. Everyone that has them refuses to sell them.

Flashmonkey
July 27th, 2010, 06:14 AM
@Flashmonkey

Have we met at Pannon Motorsports before?

I mainly do highway and inner city commuting (80kmph 50mph) but I love to carve up twisty roads whenever I get the chance. From what I've read so far, the ZX7 seems to be a great bike for that.

*rubs forehead*

I've been in to see Rob a few times but not lately...and I was pretty much the only person in there each time...so probably not. It's a possibility, though :p

Anyway, the big 7R is damn close to my gixxer in terms of power and weight...so i'll put my thoughts down for this one. Up at speed the weight isn't very noticeable...but when you're crawling around in a parking lot or struggling in traffic it gets a little tiring. This is the first thing you'll notice (aside from the torque). I believe the seating on the 7R is a lot more comfortable than my gixxer, mainly because Suzuki put the pegs up so damn high, but aside from that this bike is wonderful through corners and on the freeway. All of that hefty weight makes the bike incredibly stable and well planted.

If you can find a nice clean one, I say go for the 7R. Check with your insurance first, though. I read somewhere that if the bike's old enough, certain companies in Ontario wave the SS surcharge, so don't be afraid to look at some of the pre '98 models as well. I think that bike was unchanged from 95 onwards. :thumbup:

sharky nrk
July 27th, 2010, 07:00 AM
honestly you need to ride any bike here you are thinking of and see what fits you best

backinthesaddleagain
July 27th, 2010, 08:48 AM
As an owner of an 08 ZX6, I would say to not get one. I love my bike. But, the 09 is slightly more comfortable and has better mid-range power. I rode my friend's and the difference between the two is enough to recommend the 09 over the 08. Also, you can get a leftover 09 for a very good price right now.

The most comfortable super sport is the CBR (maybe the BMW) IMHO. I don't know how they do it. But, it doesn't feel aggressive at all but still feels like you can make the bike go wherever you want.

You have a wide range of bikes listed. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the newer bikes. They are all relatively close in performance. The style and ergos are the difference makers. That ZX7 has always been an eye catcher for me. Good luck finding a clean one. Everyone that has them refuses to sell them.

+1 on the CBR600 ergos. still some adjustment from the ninja, but you can tuck it or sit up pretty comfortable.

backinthesaddleagain
July 27th, 2010, 08:51 AM
@adouglas

I can actually get a new S1000RR for about a grand more than the zx6. Great deal but the insurance will kill me. I'm also not positive that the listing isn't a scam :p

I thought about getting the SV650S for a long time. I've sat on the old and new models and I have to say the riding position feels about the same as the 2007 zx6. The looks of the SV650 just doesn't sit well with me. It looks much better as a naked bike or a street fighter custom.... which I'm not really into.

@snake
2007 or 2009?

Anyone have any thoughts on the ZX7?

ZX6R were going for 7299 in RI, and S1000RR almost twice that depending on electronics. What are the prices for those 2 bikes where you are?

zilaniz
July 27th, 2010, 09:20 AM
You should look at the triumph street triple and R version. Its basically the daytona 675 turned into a street fighter. Its got a comfy riding posistion and isplenty fast(has the daytona 675 engine in it). plus it sounds sooo good.

sixstring
July 27th, 2010, 11:14 AM
ZX6R were going for 7299 in RI, and S1000RR almost twice that depending on electronics. What are the prices for those 2 bikes where you are?

ZX6 8500-9000

BMW S100RR 10000 - 11000

But I haven't responded to the ad.... not sure if its a scam or not. I mean if its too good to be true.....

backinthesaddleagain
July 27th, 2010, 11:26 AM
ZX6 8500-9000

BMW S100RR 10000 - 11000

But I haven't responded to the ad.... not sure if its a scam or not. I mean if its too good to be true.....

Sounds pretty low to me, buy you never know. Local dealer here had 3 S1000RR and sold them all. Still sitting on new R1's and a CBR repsol, but more like $12-13K.

Banzai
July 27th, 2010, 05:57 PM
The 2008/2009 zx6r bikes are more or less identical...with the exception of one being brand new...which shouldn't really matter all that much to be honest.

Uhhhh, yeah, you do know that the 2009 ZX6R is darn near a totally different bike from the '08? Guess not. The 09 fixed EVERYTHING that was wrong with the 07-08 model, and upgraded darn near everything on the bike at the same time.

To the OP, what are your priorities? Still want a crotch rocket or looking for something just as fun but a lot more practical? The 650s (pick any brand/model) are a blast! Cheap to purchase, operate, and insure. While they don't have the blinding speed of the super sport bikes, they have just as much torque (for around town) and go plenty fast enough with great handling (as most of the chassis are simply several generation old super sport bikes).

sixstring
July 27th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Unfortunately I can't stand the looks of the 650r. Looks for me arn't everything but I have limits on how much fugly I can stand.
:puke:
No offense to fans of the 650, just my personal opinion. The riding position also makes tucking in for windy highways rather uncomfortable and the bike feels awkwardly thin between your legs... even compared to the 250!

I want a bike that is good for both slow and fast speeds, has a sporty but not ultra committed riding position, turns well into corners and has enough speed to put a smile on my face but not too much to get me into trouble. Fuel injected is preferred but carbs are fine too.

So far I'm heavily leaning towards the ZX7R P model. Without having ever having had the chance to ride one, the reputation of the bike and the looks alone are enough for me to give it a shot. If only I can find one that hasn't been neglected to ****! I went to go look at a guy's ZX7R last wednesday and the dude just leaves it out on the curb wedged between two of his cars. It's seen an entire seasons worth of sleet, rain, hot, cold, bugs, leaves, mud etc. Brought a tear to my eye.... then he asked me for $5000 :der:

LazinCajun
July 27th, 2010, 07:17 PM
The 650s (pick any brand/model) are a blast! Cheap to purchase, operate, and insure.

YMMV on the insurance... The last time I shopped around, for me, insurance for 650's was still on the order of double (or more) the ninjette, and maybe 15% lower than supersport 600's with identical policies. :(

sharky nrk
July 27th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Uhhhh, yeah, you do know that the 2009 ZX6R is darn near a totally different bike from the '08? Guess not. The 09 fixed EVERYTHING that was wrong with the 07-08 model, and upgraded darn near everything on the bike at the same time.

You say that like there was alot that was wrong with the '07-'08 6R. Not saying the new bike is not better, cause it is - time in the middleweight segment demands it; but just about the only complaint with the previous generation 6R could be fixed with a piece of wire.

Maybe I am just being defensive of my bike, but its a fair statement. In many a review the '07-'08 6R placed at least mid pack due to its excellent drivetrain (minus peak power - which could again be fixed with a piece of wire), superior brakes, well sorted suspension, precise but stable chassis.

The highlights with the '09 are BPF and stomping motor which are noteworthy, but the '07-'08 bike is nothing to scoff at either.

gogoKawi
July 27th, 2010, 09:25 PM
You say that like there was alot that was wrong with the '07-'08 6R. Not saying the new bike is not better, cause it is - time in the middleweight segment demands it; but just about the only complaint with the previous generation 6R could be fixed with a piece of wire.

Maybe I am just being defensive of my bike, but its a fair statement. In many a review the '07-'08 6R placed at least mid pack due to its excellent drivetrain (minus peak power - which could again be fixed with a piece of wire), superior brakes, well sorted suspension, precise but stable chassis.

The highlights with the '09 are BPF and stomping motor which are noteworthy, but the '07-'08 bike is nothing to scoff at either.

I feel you... I thought the same thing until I rode my boy's 09. Even with the jumper mod, which I've done, the 07/08 still doesn't have the same power out of the turns as the 09/10. You have to scream the engine in order to get where you want to go. Not so with the newer ones.

Again, I LOVE my bike. But, the 09/10s are better bikes, and faster. :D

Flashmonkey
July 28th, 2010, 07:23 AM

LOL you're right...for some reason I still think it's 2009 and for some reason I thought the redesign took place in '08....:D

ANYWAY...that brain fart aside...most modern 600 supersports will be fairly similar with some being moderatly better than others. The OP (or most of us anyway) probably won't be able to exploit those differences that much other than discerning whichever one 'feels' better.

But ya the 09-10 zx6r is a bitchin' machine. I still like the 08's though...not a fan of the new lights. Sorry about the mix up there haha.

Edit: 636 ftw regardless

Kitdog
July 29th, 2010, 08:22 PM
http://www.triumph.co.uk/images/Daytona675_2010_gallery4L_1024x768.jpg

So so sexy!!!!

sharky nrk
July 29th, 2010, 08:50 PM
the 675 is dead sexy, probably more so than any of the other middleweights (except maybe if you count the 848), and the 09 and up versions were quite improved.

sixstring
July 29th, 2010, 10:34 PM
As sexy as modern bikes look, they'll seem outdated in five to ten years in terms of looks, performance, and features. And while the ZX7 may not be a competitive sports bike by today's standards it has the established legacy and pedigree that makes it a classic; a basic formula block that superbikes are built from:
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery/Kawasaki%20ZX7R%20%203.jpg

Low to the ground, twin ram air ducts, usd forks. The ZX7 looks like instead of slicing through the air, it plows through it. I'm really leaning towards it now.... especially since I managed to find a clean one. Problem is, its not green :(

I'll admit the shiny new ZX6 draws my attention. But simply because its brand new, easier to maintain, and has bells and whistles I'll likely never use.

50sGrl
August 5th, 2010, 06:15 PM
After a short time with my blue 250r, today I bought an 09 Yamaha fz6r. It's AWESOME! It's a perfect transition from the little Ninja, a little more power but not enough to scare me, with a verycomfortable seating position. I highly recommend it.

kyl18b
August 5th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I've always been a big fan of the FZR 600

backinthesaddleagain
August 7th, 2010, 08:22 PM
After a short time with my blue 250r, today I bought an 09 Yamaha fz6r. It's AWESOME! It's a perfect transition from the little Ninja, a little more power but not enough to scare me, with a verycomfortable seating position. I highly recommend it.

Congrats - post a pic.

HorizonXP
August 8th, 2010, 05:20 PM
2009 CBR 600RR or ZX6R if you're young and able-bodied. I rode the CBR the other day, and that bike is a dream. Holding out one more season until I upgrade though.

50sGrl
August 8th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Bike pix in a few days. Left it at the dealer for frame sliders and a gel seat (!).

00NissanNinja
August 9th, 2010, 04:34 PM
^Dang you got something new already? (Then again you could have been riding the 250 for awhile...)

tinng321
August 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM
How about this??
Only if I have some extra $$$ right now.

'79 honda cb650

sixstring
August 12th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Got the ZX7 :D

2003 model. It was bought new off the dealer floor in 2006. The original owner had it for a year and sold it to the guy I bought it from. When I picked it up, it had 16,000kms.

http://a.imageshack.us/img194/3693/img00251v.jpg
Riding the new bike back from Westport to Toronto (~350kms)

http://a.imageshack.us/img709/6730/img00270.jpg
The parking lot at work

The ZX7 has HUGE power (its also a huge bike). Got it up to 200kmph easily on the highway and didn't feel like going faster. Needless to say, the bike is capable of going faster than I actually want to go. Plus its very stable like everyone has been saying.

HorizonXP
August 12th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Looks freakin awesome. Sounds like you got a great deal. I'll be going stateside for my next one too.
Posted via Mobile Device

backinthesaddleagain
August 12th, 2010, 10:19 AM
cool liking bike. best of luck.

tjkamper
August 12th, 2010, 10:46 AM
An SV650 is the one you take home to meet the parents... but who is one of those "don't let the glasses fool ya" types.

Glasses are sexy:thumbup:

I would get an BMW RT 1200 if I was in the market for a bike right now.

monster250
August 12th, 2010, 08:04 PM
2007 yamaha r6

edbro
August 13th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Love the color, always dreamed about a 636 in orange. congrats on the zx7!

Flashmonkey
August 15th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Congrats on the bike! That's a hell of a colour too :thumbup:

sixstring
August 16th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the kinds words guys. Some more pics for ya:

http://a.imageshack.us/img203/7057/img00299r.jpg
Can't leave my bikes alone. Already cracked open the zx7:)

http://a.imageshack.us/img709/5510/img00274p.jpg
With my cage

http://a.imageshack.us/img7/8096/img00304z.jpg
Getting some nice trips in

http://a.imageshack.us/img826/5639/img00310.jpg
ZX7 handles much better on gravel :p

http://a.imageshack.us/img375/2130/img00300.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img155/9519/img00307.jpg