View Full Version : New Rider, Left Wrist Hurts

lux
July 30th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Hi all,

I'm a new rider and my left wrist has started to hurt. I’m making a conscious effort to firmly grip the tank with my knees, so I’m not sure this is because I might be putting too much weight on my wrists. But what do I know? :) My right wrist doesn’t hurt though. The underside of the wrist hurts when I pull back the clutch lever. Any suggestions or corrections to what I might be doing incorrectly?

Thank you for any assistance.

zilaniz
July 30th, 2010, 07:36 AM
this happened to me. A few things I suggest:
Pazzo levers, they are awsome.

with stock levers, try adjusting them more downward, so your wrist is more even when you pull in the clutch

If you are new to riding, your wrists are not use to all the use tey are now getting so it takes awhile for them to get adjusted.

spooph
pay particular attention at which angle both of your wrists are held when on the bike. If your left wrist is lower, and at a greater angle this can cause issues.

But really, I think your tendons are simply adjusting to the clutch, and having to pull it alot....

Do A LOT of "prayer" stretches - putting your hands together in the typical prayer fashion, and bringing them down and into your body, almost trying to touch your chest. You can also try and rotate the fingers to a horizontal position and pointing out, away from you. You'll feel the pull, and the burn.

If it continues, and/or gets worse, seek advice from a physician. Tendinitis and such are no fun!

https://sites.google.com/a/abilityphysicaltherapy.com/excercise/Home/december-wrist/Prayer%20Stretch.jpg

Riding takes it's toll on the body. I can no longer flatten my fingers against one another as this fellow above...

Cuongism
Usually hands hurt for new riders vs wrists. I'm assuming you're riding a ninja 250 which is pretty upright as well.
Do you find yourself bracing against the handlebars when braking? Also, does your clutch feel stiff? Pulling in the clutch does use forearm muscles so that might take some time getting used to, but ninja clutches are pretty light compared to other bikes.
Posted via Mobile Device

addy126
July 30th, 2010, 07:46 AM
This is merely "new rider" syndrome (NRS).... takes time to build up resistance when riding any style bike. Keep riding, give it some time, get the weight off the wrists as much as you can..... "pain before gain"... in a month or so you will not hardly notice anymore.:thumbup:

tjkamper
July 30th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Loosen you grip on the bars. Also give your wrist a rest as often as you can. When ever you are in a situation where you are comfortable. Use one hand and wiggle your left wrist around flexing all of the tendon to keep it loosened up. Take some Ibuprofen. Fight through it and you will get stronger and it will go away, but don't over do it. If you feel it hurts too much, take a day or two off and then go for it again.

Another thing that helps me loosen up is to do the "funky chicken" when screaming down the road. I just flap my elbows a little to loosen up.

Don't worry as you get more time on you bike these pains will go away and soon you'll be able to do three-five hour rides and not feel a thing.

CZroe
July 30th, 2010, 09:07 AM
My wrist hurt during/after the MSF but stopped after a few days of riding. It just needs to develop the muscle tone.

lux
July 30th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks very much for the replies and suggestions! I definitely need more practice; going to try to find a parking lot on Saturday.

Random thought: I think I'm going about 35mph, that feels scary enough as it is, look down and I'm going 25mph. Right now I can't even think about going on the highway.

Thanks again!

kkim
July 30th, 2010, 11:15 AM
All of what has been suggested above, plus... make sure your glove wrist straps aren't too tight. I leave mine as loose as possible after I found my hands would start to tingle and fall asleep due to the velcro being too tight.

Seemed great when I adjusted the gloves before I rode, but while riding, the position and the angle of the wrist to bars made the gloves just too tight for comfort. See if that helps. :)

adouglas
July 30th, 2010, 01:03 PM
The correct arm position is to have your forearms parallel with the ground.

Most newbs sit too upright, stiff-arm the bike and carry too much weight on their wrists.

Hold yourself up with your core and your legs.

Also... the grip is not a rattlesnake. It does not need to be strangled.

Good:
http://image.automotive.com/f/newsandupdates/9911339+pheader/122_0807_01_z+kawasaki_ninja_250R+.jpg

Good:
http://www.zbs.com.my/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/zxr250r.jpg

VERY good:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/60/Kawasaki_Ninja_250R.jpg/800px-Kawasaki_Ninja_250R.jpg

Oh, um, wait.... er......

WRONG WRONG WRONG
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3642&d=1251016304

spooph
July 30th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Good:
http://image.automotive.com/f/newsandupdates/9911339+pheader/122_0807_01_z+kawasaki_ninja_250R+.jpg

Anybody know her name? I know she's the original 250R Kawi model... But seriously!

BlueTyke
July 31st, 2010, 06:50 AM
As was suggested to me...

Handle bars are not hold onto for dear life bars... Ease it up. Do the chicken dance a little by flapping your arms to reduce it and get you into a better position.

Also.. You can move your hand up on the clutch so that when it rotates into the open position your wrist isn't at much of an angle.

As all have said. It's a new thing. You will find your way and so will your body. :)

lux
July 31st, 2010, 04:37 PM
Thank you for the replies and suggestions! My current position seems much closer to the picture of the black 250R, but I don't lock my elbows.

I tried positioning like in the pictures of the red 250R, and also found this: The proper arm position for any bike involves having your elbows at or slightly below the level of the handlebars… So that your forearm is parallel the ground (or bent slightly upward). I felt _very_ hunched over. Six or so more inches and I think I was in a full tuck. It felt weird. I'll work on it. :)

spooph
July 31st, 2010, 10:22 PM
Lux, I think you're over-complicating the issue....

Ride the bike how you feel comfortable... Then ride it some more. The "best way" to ride a bike is where you're comfortable, for there you'll be able to manipulate it in the best fashion, being safer and faster at the same time. If you're not comfortable with something, put it on the list of things to practice, and deal with it over time.

At first, my wrists hurt too. Then my back started hurting, but the wrists stopped. The back got worse, I got a different bike (the ninja). Now my butt starts hurting, and the only way I can practice for that? Ride more than 300 miles a day.... :D So I've just made amends with the fact that my butt will just have to hurt, because I don't have time for that... :mad:

Sorry, don't mean to seem like I'm instructing you. I talk to much. I hope my point got across in a respectful manner....

adouglas
August 1st, 2010, 03:53 AM
Six or so more inches and I think I was in a full tuck. It felt weird. I'll work on it. :)

To me a full tuck means just short of having the top of the eyeport on your helmet cut off the view ahead. My chest is resting on the tank and I'm just peeking over the edge of my double-bubble windscreen.

lux
August 1st, 2010, 07:44 AM
spooph, your point definitely got across in a respectful manner! Thank you!

adouglas, I know what a full tuck is, I'm a racing fan. :) Sorry, I meant I felt if I angled down six or so more inches I would be in a full tuck. I worded it incorrectly. :o

Practicing body position and smooth shifting and braking. Trying to keep weight off the bars, especially while braking, is quite difficult. At least for me.

Sailariel
August 5th, 2010, 07:18 AM
You are doing fine. All of the above gave some good advice. If you do have tendonitis, the pain will continue. I have tendonitis, and my physical therapist suggested using a Crampbuster on long trips. You can get one of those after you get more proficient on the bike. A loose grip on the bars is the way to go. Let the bike dance under you as it adjusts to road contours. A tight grip amplifies these road conditins.

demp
August 5th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I had that same problem on long trips, the pain in my left wrist would only get worse and worse as the trip went. I just kept riding and after a putting on some km's the wrist doesn't hurt anymore, no matter the length of the trip. I believe a big part of my problem was the weight I was putting on the handlebars, now it's all leg.

luizinho
August 6th, 2010, 06:46 AM
This topic has showed to me how i was wrong riding my bike...

My riding position is very close to the black ninja picture...

From now, i'll try to change my riding position according to the other pictures...

spooph
August 8th, 2010, 03:23 PM
luiz, as you change your riding position, pay attention to which areas in your body are working harder from your previous riding position. You might find your lower back, sides, legs, hips, and groin area all working harder....

The beautiful thing about a bike is that we can reposition ourselves on the bike for whichever situation it would best fit. The one thing you don't want to do, is stay frozen in one position for long, that is what hurts one particular part of the body the most.

lux
August 8th, 2010, 06:40 PM
The pain on the wrist has lessened! :) Still working on riding position and keeping weight off of the bars, especially while braking. Thanks again for the replies!

Blackwidow
August 9th, 2010, 12:06 PM
my palms hurt a little over the weekend cuz of pulling in the clutch. I guess i used muscles in my hands i've never used before. but its all better now...

spooph
August 10th, 2010, 04:44 PM
good news then!

Cali619
August 11th, 2010, 11:49 AM
its just conditioning of your clutch hand I think since only one wrist hurts. Some days when theres a lot of stop and go traffic and no room to split a lane, constantly feathering the clutch can cause some soreness. On the other hand if its your riding position, and you are tucked down a little, are you sliding your rear toward the back of the seat some so your not cramped up.

Flow
August 20th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Another thing that helps me loosen up is to do the "funky chicken" when screaming down the road. I just flap my elbows a little to loosen up.

Has an officer misinterpreted your exercise before? :p

its just conditioning of your clutch hand I think since only one wrist hurts.

Either that or his right wrist frequently gets some sweet, sweet conditioning. :eek:

Cali619
August 20th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Either that or his right wrist frequently gets some sweet, sweet conditioning. :eek:

lol some strong throttle action