View Full Version : Passed my license test last week

karlosdajackal
August 2nd, 2010, 03:04 AM
So its a bit harder to get a full license over this side of the pond, but I've finally managed it. Passed on my first attempt at the test, usually only 40% of people pass the test first time.

I still have a power restriction for 2 years, but now I'm allowed to take passengers, allowed to use motorway and don't have to wear a silly yellow vest with L plates on it. When my insurance renewal comes up next month it should be 30% cheaper for having a full license and another bit for having 1 year no claims bonus.

In case any one is interested this is the process I've had to go through so far.

First is to get a learners permit
1. do a theory test, this is a 40 question test, you need to get 36 right. The sample set of questions is 903. I got 40/40 only about 10 of them where bike specific
2. get an eyesight report
3. passport photos for the license
4. pay fee

this got me a permit, with the conditions that, it only lasts a year, have to wear L-vest, no passengers, not allowed to use motorways, you must hold this 6 months before you can do a test, grrrr.

so the test
1. after 6 months apply for test
2. wait 4 months for an appointment, take day off work
3. show up and sign a declaration that you have tax/insurance otherwise no test
4. hand in you permit or no test
5. answer questions on rules of the road (can loose 2 marks here)
6. get given earpiece and radio, so the tester can talk to you, this is one way, you can't talk back
7. go out to bike, tester asks you basic maintenance questions (where you check fluids and chain tension) (can loose 2 marks here)
8. tester hops in his car and follow you on public roads with real traffic, no parking lots used for this test.

They check everything like every time you start you need to look in both mirrors and look over both shoulders and indicate properly. You need to shoulder check every time you move in a lane, say moving to the right side if your going to take a right turn, stop at the stop sign. You have to put one foot down first (usually your left), if you want to switch feet you need to put your other foot down before you lift the first. You have to hold the bike on the rear brake any time you are stopped. You have to use both brakes front slightly before the rear. Miss any of these and you get 2 marks, get 10 marks and you fail. Your also asked to to an emergency slow down from 80km/h to 20km/h. Tester than passes you and pulls over and asks you to drive up to 80 and overtake his car, you must leave enough room that if his door opened you'd still be clear, obviously watching out for oncoming traffic. you do left circuits, and right circuits again checking out for positioning and observation. Then asked to do a u turn, more driving around and eventually you stop. Test takes about 45 minutes.

After all that you pass or fail. Like i said usually only 40% of people pass.

I got a few of the rules questions wrong, so that was 2 marks, I also got marked 3 times for not looking over my left shoulder when exiting roundabouts, so that was another 6 marks (total of 8) Of the other 48 test items i got no issues, so i passed :D

So I took the motorway to work today, and started the 2 year countdown till I'm allowed more than 25kw/34bhp. You guys in the states have it easy, maybe too easy ;) I should get a picture of the test sheet so you can see what the categories are when i get home if anyone is interested.

g21-30
August 2nd, 2010, 04:48 AM
Congratulations! Just be safe, wear ATGATT, and watch the other guy! :thumbup:

bob706
August 2nd, 2010, 04:48 AM
Your licensing system is brutal. To get licensed in Florida you just have to take the MSF coarse and your done. No restrictions of any kind. I could have gone and bought a Busa and been perfectly legal. And our test was painfully easy, both written and driving.