View Full Version : Developing positive riding habits/techniques

s2kenny
August 3rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
Hey there, I am a new rider with an msf course and about 2 weeks/350 miles under my belt. I am interested in improving my skill as a rider and take myself to a track day when I'm ready.

What I would like to know is what are some good habits to get into? Also what would be some bad habits to stay away from?

I have been reading a few forums and this is what I try to do on every ride.
- Tight bottom, loose top (Trying to pinch the tank with my knees and squeeze in my ankles, while remaining loose in the arms and elbows
- Looking through the turns (Not looking down or at street signs)
- Roll on the throttle through every turn
- Try to watch traffic behind me as I come to a stop sign or intersection. Set myself up for a quick getaway in-case some one is barreling down my lane.
- Keeping a 2 second distance from the car in front

I would appreciate your input

kkim
August 3rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Mentally prepare yourself even before you start the bike. Remember that you're on a motorcycle and the world is different than from sitting in a car. Be very alert... your life depends on it.

Ride defensively and always be in control of your motorcycle.

00NissanNinja
August 4th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Good tips already here:thumbup:, but one additional thing I like to do is either stop to the left or right and behind the car in front of me. That way I can easily pull next to that car if another person comes barreling down from behind

spooph
August 19th, 2010, 08:33 AM
great advice so far! All should have emphasis on them.

Word of warning, don't try to remember everything at once. Prioritize habits. It has always helped me to think of things as sub systems. For instance:

I am going for a ride:

Sub-system 1: pre-Launch sequence. (in this order: gear up, get on the bike, kick-stand up, turn the ignition, shift to neutral, kill-switch to "on", clutch in, thumb the starter, click into 1st gear)

Sub-system 2: launch sequence. (Check my "bubble" for possible hazards, primarily other vehicles, including pedestrians, secondarily road conditions, terciarily (not sure if that's a word) weather. Slip the clutch, add in throttle, negotiate slow-speed turns until I'm headed in the right direction.

Sub-system 3: maintaining safety on the road. Check my bubble, remember behind me every 12 seconds or so, AND for every change I initiate on the road - lane changes, changes in speed (braking accelerating), make sure to check my destination for hazards before I arrive there. Look for bad habits in other drivers - texting, eating breakfast, etc. If I look for the ridiculous things, and try and see the drivers, I'm actively engaging in making sure I see everyone around me, increasing my safety. Look for cops, if you're a habitual speeder like me, the benefits are obvious, but a secondary purpose is to increase general vigilance, emphasizing the previous point of looking for sketchy drivers.

and such forth. Sorry for the long reply, just thought I'd try to be thorough. You're process might vary from others, and you will optomize it towards your own goals. You're biggest concern on the road is to stay safe, and as long as you actively engage into the piloting process, putting yourself in other's shoes while on the road, you will learn with a quickness!

For instance, I've found on a two-lane road (one lane going each way), it's best to sit as close to the center line as you feel comfortable. For cars passing from behind see you and won't merge into you. Cars coming the opposite way see you, and should withhold from passing, and coming into your lane. The car in front of you will see you their side mirror (as long as you can see their eyes), and won't be able to cancel your glaring headlight by dipping their center mirror into "night mode". The biggest danger in this situation, are cars turning right into the lane traveling the same direction as you. So as you come up to an intersection, maybe move to the right, or outside of the lane for a hot second, to make sure "merging" cars will see you before they try and swipe that sweet sized spot currently occupied by you... :D

Good luck, keep the rubber side down, and hopefully we'll lots form you in the future!

MikeCG23
August 19th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Check left and right at intersections before proceeding to make sure that everyone is stopping. I do this even in my car. Good habit to form!!!

Talonne
August 19th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Lane blocking. If you are in the far left lane, stay to the right side of the lane so that you are visible to people who might try to cut in. Vice versa for if you are in the right lane (though keep an eye out for people merging in).