View Full Version : Class... Class??!! What Riding Skill Have You Worked on Today?

kkim
August 10th, 2010, 12:07 PM
With the host of new riders we've had on the forum lately and all the talk of what to do while learning to ride and how to do it, it got me thinking of my own riding and what I've been doing lately to learn and improve when out riding.

For me, it's been brake control. I've been riding some really nasty trails on the dirt bikes and have been learning the hard way :crash: how to feather/feel the brakes on loose, off camber, downhill, single track trails.

What does riding a dirt bike have with in common with the ninja?? Everything. With dirt bikes, the loose dirt you ride is the same as when you lose traction with a street bike, so in the dirt you are put into limited traction situations constantly which you normally do not encounter when on a street bike unless in emergency situations and fortunately the consequences are not as severe as on the street. You pick the bike up, brush off the dirt, compose yourself and are humbled by the fact you've just ridden over your experience level right before crashing. It all takes practice to gain experience to become a better rider. Does any of this sound familiar to those that have crashed their street bikes? :p

So, what have I learned?

1. With brakes, setup is crucial. Adjust the controls to fit your hands and feet correctly so you feel comfortable with their placement and amount you need to move the lever to start their engagement. Spend the time to set them up in the garage while sitting on the bike, loosening the perches and move them in/out, up/down so they are in the perfect position for you while you are in your normal riding position. Once you have them set, take the bike out and see if what you've come up with in the garage translates while riding. You may have to fine tune your control positions that only actual riding will reveal.

2. After you have the controls set, work on getting to know what the bike feels like while braking at different pressures at the controls. You want to be able to make the controls an extension of your mind so when you think "slow down" the bike reacts to your input seamlessly. The brakes become an extension of your thoughts and you should be able to "feel" the bike/tires through your controls. That's when you know you've got the controls setup properly.

3. Check your tire pressures. The tires are your only interface between the bike and ground. Too much pressure will make the bike skid easier, too little will mask the feedback you get through the bike/controls. The recommended pressures are fine to start out with, but there are ways to fine tune once you start to work on nuances. Main thing is to check your tire pressures so you know what they are.

4. Last... "practice, practice, practice". I can't count how many times those words have come up lately on the forum and until I sat down this morning to write this post, I hadn't realized I needed to take my own advice and brush up on my own skills to become a better rider than what I am currently. You need to practice till you become "one" with your bike and every input you make through the controls, be it brakes, throttle, body positioning, peg weighting, reflect what you are thinking.

Learn, also, that riding conditions change and your input has to vary accordingly. What was once a corner you could rail through when it was dry, spells disaster if there is a light mist of water on the surface which limits traction in that very same corner. Read the terrain/scan ahead and recognize the difference to be able to see it before you enter the corner.

I've been riding dirt bikes for over 40 years... I thought I had this thing wired. A few sessions back in the dirt proved to me how much I still need to learn to become that better rider that I want/need to be for the type of riding I will be doing. We all need to keep current with our skills, no matter what our age, skill level or number of miles under our belts.

So, what have you done recently to improve your riding skills and what have you learned from it that you can share with us to make us all better riders?

Blackwidow
August 10th, 2010, 12:35 PM
great thread! thanks Kim :)

luoyuejia
August 10th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Enlightening to a new one like me :)

Rosie
August 10th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Great thread!! :thumbup:

kkim
August 10th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks... appreciate the feedback, but the purpose of the thread was to get people to share what they have learned today with others.

I know some of you were out there today working on your skills :) ... share what you've learned or what problems you've encountered along the way so we can collectively learn/help with skills that you are building/learning.

Rosie
August 10th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I know some of you were out there today working on your skills :) ... share what you've learned or what problems you've encountered along the way so we can collectively learn/help with skills that you are building/learning.

Not yet.. I will be out practicing once I get out of work later tonight, and I will definitely post here my comments on new skills learned! ;)

00NissanNinja
August 10th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I've been working on my upshifts and downshifts. Sometimes I think when I upshift I don't hit it hard enough and it pops out of gear (maybe adjust the shift lever down some more but it doesn't happen that often). I also have been practicing quick braking without locking the fronts (thanks to that little episode I had with a cager). I think I'm finally getting used to giving it a lot of brake with a nice controlled grab of the brake lever. Just need to get this down to instinct in all situations so making progress.

CC Cowboy
August 10th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I didn't ride today. I was going to but it rained this morning when I was about to leave. I went to the gym and then the beach instead.

I did ride last night. A short ride to get gas (maybe 10 miles). I worked on acceleration a few times, a couple shiftless (clutchless when not under the influence) shifts, keeping the front wheel down, and not getting any tickets.

kkim
August 10th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I didn't ride today. I was going to but it rained this morning when I was about to leave. i went to the gym and then the beach instead.

I did ride last night. A short ride to get gas (maybe 10 miles). I worked on acceleration a few times, a couple shiftless shifts, keeping the front wheel down, and not getting any tickets.

lol... I'm sure you spent a good amount of time bending elbows, too, eh? :D

alex.s
August 10th, 2010, 02:37 PM
a couple shiftless shifts

Hmm... wuts that? missing the gear? :D

ally99
August 10th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Well, I took my Lil' Ninj out yesterday and practiced U-turns and figure-8s in a parking lot. I've found my main problem is transitioning to do these in real-world situations. I have mastered them in a parking lot, but when you are riding along at a spirited pace and you all of a sudden have to do a tight U-turn, it's a tough transition.
I've also been practicing stopping w/ only one foot down to prepare myself for riding my bigger, taller Ninja 650 more often in the future. I can't flat foot that baby, so one-foot-down stops need to be 100% comfortable for me to feel relaxed on the "Big Ninj".
On a slightly different note, I've been practicing balance on my pedal bike by riding no-handed! Does that count? lol!

CC Cowboy
August 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Hmm... wuts that? missing the gear? :D

That's clutchless shifting after a few beers.

Thanks for the reprimand.

eddiekay
August 10th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I've been trying for years and practicing occassionally but I still can't sit at a dead stop for more than maybe 10 seconds. Every light i stop at is a chance to practice that one. I also have a 1 x 4 x 12' board I lay in the street, that one's pretty easy but, I still flip the board every so often.
No practial application for either skill but...it's a personal best thing

spooph
August 10th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I haven't particularly practiced anything, but I do tend to focus on balancing at stop lights/sign, and carrying my speed through corners. 90 degree merge lanes still get me, because you don't have to stop for it. I can only do about 32mph through them, and I can feel the ninja has plenty of lean to go.

I'm getting concerned though, it seems I'm getting scared of something, riding slower on a day-to-day basis.... Not sure what it is. I'm going to rebuild my over-due forks and see if that doesn't re-inspire confidence....

Rosie
August 10th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Ok.. so today I practiced my U-turns in a bunch of neighborhood cul-de-sacs.. did some emergency stops in an empty parking lot using mostly my front break (surprise.. it actually works! :happy20:), and finally I practiced canceling the turn signals right after the turn.
I did pretty good! I did 35 mph tops since it was mostly residential areas, except for one road we took where the limit was 45 and I did 40. Going slower helps me focus on my controls and how to use them. I'm getting better! :happy90:

I have one question for the experts: when you leave right after a complete stop (such as a red light or a stop sign) and you have to make a turn, do you upshift to second before or after completing your turn? :confused:

Bols
August 10th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I try not to shift/brake during a turn, because then its very easy to upset the bike. If you have to do it for some reason, be sure to be really smooth with the clutch for gearing/light on the brakes.

If i have to stop at an intersection and im going to turn right or left, i usually wait with shifting up to 2nd until the bike is coming upright again and im accelerating out of the turn.

dubojr1
August 11th, 2010, 04:44 AM
I love your comparison of dirt bikes to street and I truly believe the same idea's. I feel as if I am a better street rider due to my experience on a dirt bike. The skills gained by riding in loose dirt has definitely saved me a few times on the street. It's almost as if it is second nature to regain control in emergency situations on the street due to the experiences learned on dirt.

Braking for cornering is what I'm working on right now. When I first got the the Ninja I noticed how much braking power is allowed with the rear brake. The rear braking power on my super sport bikes is never been as much as what the little ninja has. Due to that I have formed a habit of braking more so with the rear and blipping the throttle to match engine RPM with the gearing. It has really worked well for me and I love the smoothness it provides me preparing for turns. I have realized due to other threads that for maximum performance it's really time to work on throttle control combined with front and rear braking control. The habit I formed is making the transition difficult but I'm sure I'll get it. There are some good video's on technique in other threads for those interested.

Happy riding! :thumbup:

ally99
August 11th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I did pretty good!
I have one question for the experts: when you leave right after a complete stop (such as a red light or a stop sign) and you have to make a turn, do you upshift to second before or after completing your turn? :confused:

Yay for you!! :-) Glad things are going well!
You ask great questions! I learned to ride a year and a half ago, and I didn't even know how to operate a manual transmission in a cage! I had MANY of the same questions you are having, and to be honest, I didn't ask a lot of them. I'm glad you feel comfortable asking! Most of these questions, you will answer for yourself w/ experience b/c what's right for one rider may not be right for another, however, I'll tell you how to do it to give you some ideas. If it's a quickie turn (ie: a right or left turn on a normal, 2-lane road), I'm in 1st and I'll upshift when I straighten the bike up. However, if it's one of those longer turns (ie: a 4-lane+ road and I'm in the outside lane), 1st gear isn't always enough before you find yourself in mid-turn at the rev limiter. I do not like to upshift while turning, especially if there is traffic behind me b/c occasionally I hit false neutrals and the person behind me expects me to be accelerating the entire time. It just don't like that feeling, so I avoid it. If I'm at one of those longer turns from a stop, I actually start accelerating in 2nd. You just have to give it a little more throttle up front. Next time you're practicing in the parking lot, get a feel for how it feels to stop and start from 2nd.
Good luck! The fact that you're doing U-turns (one of the hardest techniques on 2-wheels, IMHO) is awesome!! :-)

Rosie
August 11th, 2010, 08:19 AM
If it's a quickie turn (ie: a right or left turn on a normal, 2-lane road), I'm in 1st and I'll upshift when I straighten the bike up. However, if it's one of those longer turns (ie: a 4-lane+ road and I'm in the outside lane), 1st gear isn't always enough before you find yourself in mid-turn at the rev limiter. I do not like to upshift while turning, especially if there is traffic behind me b/c occasionally I hit false neutrals and the person behind me expects me to be accelerating the entire time. It just don't like that feeling, so I avoid it. If I'm at one of those longer turns from a stop, I actually start accelerating in 2nd. You just have to give it a little more throttle up front. Next time you're practicing in the parking lot, get a feel for how it feels to stop and start from 2nd.
Good luck! The fact that you're doing U-turns (one of the hardest techniques on 2-wheels, IMHO) is awesome!! :-)

Good point!! I didn't even think of those turns into 4+ lane roads!! I just thought I could take it in 1st all the way through the turn and THEN upshift to 2nd once I'm straight up again, but you're right, on longer turns it may not be that easy. I'm going to start practicing upshifting to 2nd before I start leaning into a turn, in case I need to :thumbup:

I will be asking a lot of questions because I really want to make sure I am learning how to do things correctly from the very beginning. I don't want to be stuck into some bad habits just because I learned the wrong way :nono:

U-turns are quite difficult (in my MSF class I couldn't manage to stay between the lines :( ), but I'm doing much better now! I find it easier to stay in second gear during U-turns and work with the clutch in order not to stall the bike in case RPM's fall too low.

Flashmonkey
August 11th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Turns. I'm always looking to improve my turning ability. Not just to get more speed or to get lower or whatever through the turns, but to be more consistent with them.

I commute to work on my bike so I pretty much ride every day, and traverse the same streets....so I usually see the same turns day in and day out. Every day those turns are different...despite being the same exact corner, or sweeping right-hander, or tight, decreasing left-hander, each time I attack that turn it feels different and requires adjustment on my part to execute properly.

I've discovered that there are a number of factors that makes things different when it comes to riding on the same roads day in and day out:

1. Fatigue. After work or in the morning, my level of fatigue varies, and so does my riding. Leaning into corners when you're fresh and well rested is easy, but doing so after 4 hours of sleep, or after a long day at work, or while holding in a ridiculous amount of pee (:D) changes the conditions drastically.

2. Condition of the bike. Those of you with newer bikes may or may not have this issue, but with an 18 year old clunker like mine, the ambient air temperature plays a huge roll in how responsive she is to my inputs (like a woman...sorta). On hot, humid days she is an absolute PIG. Throttle response is brutal, the brakes are sluggish, the frame gets red hot, and the transmission gets kinda 'wishy washy'. Cooler days are different and ideal. Adjusting how much braking input and throttle input I have to put in before and during a turn has to be adjusted on the fly. This is especially difficult when you're trying not to piss yourself.....

3. Condition of the road. It's shocking how much crap can build up over night. Rocks, pebbles, stones, sand, grass clippings...dead birds. Oh yea, I've probably seen it all and have run it over mid-turn. Having the front wheel wobble on you because you ran over a pebble isn't the greatest feeling in the world. Especially when a bunch of cute girls are watching you as you try and show off to them.

Well I guess most of this stuff applies to general 'dynamic riding'...and not just turns...but let's face it, turns are the difficult part. I guess the take home message from my post would be: go to the washroom before you set out on a 40 minute ride home. Oh and don't be an idiot in front of cute girls at a bus stop. :thumbup:

Blackwidow
August 11th, 2010, 09:48 AM
pulling my bike out from the parking spot i had it in gear, and pushed the bike without holding in the clutch. (didn't know i wasn't suppose to do that). Well when i started up the bike, it backfired. lesson learned, do not push the bike forward while in gear without the clutch engaged.

dubojr1
August 11th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Don't think that has anything to do with it backfiring. Backfiring has happened to others and myself. No resolution to my knowledge.

Blackwidow
August 11th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Backfiring has happened to others and myself.

its called farting. lol again, dry humor. :D

Rosie
August 11th, 2010, 10:43 AM

:lol:

demp
August 11th, 2010, 12:08 PM
pulling my bike out from the parking spot i had it in gear, and pushed the bike without holding in the clutch. (didn't know i wasn't suppose to do that). Well when i started up the bike, it backfired. lesson learned, do not push the bike forward while in gear without the clutch engaged.

I so gotta try that :D, Never tried bump starting the bike before

edit - i see thats not quite what you mean

Alex
August 11th, 2010, 12:22 PM
No worries on the backfiring, it'll happen from time to time.

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/My_Bike_Backfires

CC Cowboy
August 11th, 2010, 02:32 PM

Paulette, he was talking about the bike! You better hope it's dry!

Blackwidow
August 11th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Paulette, he was talking about the bike! You better hope it's dry!

LOL i know, just trying to be funny. sheeesh.

if it wasn't dry, it would have been called sharting...ewww...

ok i'll stop high jacking this thread. :o

ally99
August 11th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I will be asking a lot of questions because I really want to make sure I am learning how to do things correctly from the very beginning. I don't want to be stuck into some bad habits just because I learned the wrong way :nono:

Awesome! Just take online advice with a grain of salt. If you read something questionable or that something dramatic that you want to try, talk to your hubby first. You'll hear a lot of bad disinfo online (albeit a lot of good advice as well!).

Rosie
August 12th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Awesome! Just take online advice with a grain of salt. If you read something questionable or that something dramatic that you want to try, talk to your hubby first. You'll hear a lot of bad disinfo online (albeit a lot of good advice as well!).

I always ask my hubby's advice too, but you guys have also given me a lot of good info :)

Bols
August 12th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I'm practicing throttleblip-downshifting while braking, talk about coordination work :p Only learned the normal shift and let clutch out easy method at the driving school, so this is new to me. But i think the blip method will be better once i get the hang of it. Getting there tho, just need to work abit on the timing and making it quicker and smoother :thumbup:

What kind of method do you people use for downshifting?

FrugalNinja250
August 12th, 2010, 11:21 AM
If I'm downshifting to adjust to a new speed, make a turn, or any other scenario where I'm likely to either maintain a constant speed or accelerate I use throttle matching. If I'm coming to a complete stop I downshift through the gears with the clutch held and no throttle, but I time the shifts so that each gear is appropriate for the speed at that moment. That took lots of practice to get OK at it and I'm still working on it.

I don't shift into first until I'm almost at a complete stop, mainly because shifting into first at high speeds seems to be a lot harder on the transmission (louder clunks) and because I don't want to abuse the neutral finder mechanism.

It's a lot different shifting a sequential transmission than a car where you can pick any gear at any time.

spooph
August 12th, 2010, 07:36 PM
concerning turning from a dead stop: I will accelerate as much as I can in 1st, then shift to 2nd, and then dip the bike into the turn. Sometimes there is very little time to do this, and I shift at say 4,000rpm, and it seems to work for me just fine.

Concerning shifting: I try and shift proportionally quick to the engine's speed. You can get away with shifting slower and still smooth if the engine is spinning slower (4,000rpm), but to stay smooth, without "lurch", you have to be freakin quick at the higher RPM's... I still botch high-end shifts, and I still find false neutrals, at least once, on every ride I take.... I think it has to do with the shifter being to high (and it can't be adjusted down anymore), so it's time to design a new shifter peg... all in good time.

Concerning the bike responding to ambient temp: Oh yea. On a hot morning and pull out thinking something is wrong with the bike due to the lack of power. On a nice cool/cold morning, she's got all kinds of power....

kkim
August 12th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I think it has to do with the shifter being to high (and it can't be adjusted down anymore), so it's time to design a new shifter peg... all in good time.

the shifter can be moved on the transmission splined output shaft to get the shifter into any position you want.

Blackwidow
August 16th, 2010, 04:05 PM
yes i did, it was very hard to push. i did hear clicking noise, but i didn't think much of it....at the time

Cuongism
August 16th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I think it has to do with the shifter being to high (and it can't be adjusted down anymore), so it's time to design a new shifter peg... all in good time.

The shifter should be able to be adjusted to any position (I even had it where my left foot were perpendicular to the ground to see how it felt). Twisting the rod will fine tune the position and is only good for a couple of inches. You can reposition the rod itself though. I can take pics and put up a diy if you'd like.

Flow
August 16th, 2010, 11:59 PM
You pick the bike up, brush off the dirt, compose yourself and are humbled by the fact you've just ridden over your experience level right before crashing.
One of the things I love about dirtbikes, provided you don't land on your leg wrong or something and tear your ligaments and cartilage in your knee. :o

Check your tire pressures.
I learned this the hard way on my DRZ125L. I had just taken it out to ride it around for a while. The tire was really low on air and I didn't notice. On the first turn (in my yard!), the bike skipped and I messed up my wrist. Still can't rotate it fully anymore. I'll never be able to forget that lesson.

gogoKawi
August 17th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Not really a skill, but I've been working on my flexibility. I never realized how inflexible I was until recently. My hope is that it will make hanging off the bike easier and not feel like I'm forcing it.

ScorpionNinja
August 17th, 2010, 07:53 PM

I just ride out 1st gear, then complete the turn, then shift into 2nd.

Rosie
August 17th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I just ride out 1st gear, then complete the turn, then shift into 2nd.

I did both today.. on some longer turns I upshifted to second before the turn, some shorter ones I turned on 1st and shifted to 2nd then. I'm getting better at it :)

Lesson learned today.. never assume cars coming the opposite way on a narrow road are going to stay on the right hand side and out of your way :mad:
I was preparing to exit the parking lot I always practice my U-turns and quick stops on, and in order to get out I have to go through a rather narrow road with a right curve that leads to a street light. So.. as I was preparing to lean into my right curve, this big azz SUV pops out from the other direction taking up the entire road! I promptly squeezed the front break and stepped on the rear and came to a complete stop.. without locking my tires! Whoo hoo!! I gave a dirty look to the chick driving the SUV who didn't even bother looking back at me... /@{"@//\ :mad: !!!

kkim
August 17th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Not really a skill, but I've been working on my flexibility. I never realized how inflexible I was until recently. My hope is that it will make hanging off the bike easier and not feel like I'm forcing it.

Funny you should mention that... I'm working on my balance by standing on one foot and putting my arms in different positions to see how to counter weight them by sticking my butt in the opposite direction. Needless to say, my balance sucks. :p

CC Cowboy
August 18th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Funny you should mention that... I'm working on my balance by standing on one foot and putting my arms in different positions to see how to counter weight them by sticking my butt in the opposite direction. Needless to say, my balance sucks. :p

Sounds like you are practicing for that next DUI test.

kkim
August 18th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Sounds like you are practicing for that next DUI test.

well, I do have the first part down pretty good. :drunk1:

Blackwidow
August 20th, 2010, 09:42 AM
after being off the bike for what seemed like eternity (6 days), i got it last night...and if felt soooooooo gooooooooood.

I took the lil devil to a parking lot and practiced quick stops. it was getting late and there wasn't much light in the parking lot, but i was really wanting to go a straight line at low speeds. I guess i'll wait for the weekend.

question; how long do you guys warm up the bike before hitting the road? i warmed her up last night for about 5 minutes and when i took off, it seemed she didn't want to move...sounded like gas wasn't getting into her organs fast enough.

Snake
August 20th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Especially in the part of the country that you live it should only take about a 1 minute warm-up time. About the time it takes to put on your helmet and gloves which are the last to pieces of gear I put on.

Blackwidow
August 20th, 2010, 09:51 AM
even after its been parked for 6 days?

Snake
August 20th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Yes...If it was a month or more then I would say put in fresh fuel and go for a high speed run to "blow the gunk" out.

dubojr1
August 20th, 2010, 10:07 AM
even after its been parked for 6 days?

Mod time....

Need to shim the needles and remove the snorkel.

Here ya go... http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11963

Cuongism
August 20th, 2010, 04:02 PM
You might have to use the choke if it doesn't feel like it's moving. Warm it about a minute with choke so you're idling at 1500ish, take off and keep it at lower rpms for a few minutes until it's fully warm. You'll know it's warm when you idle higher than 1500 with the choke on. Don't forget to turn off the choke and then go WOT! Well, maybe not yet...

spooph
August 20th, 2010, 07:39 PM
How was it acting by the time you returned from the ride?

If it was fine after the ride, twas just a bit gummed up.

If it wasn't, has the temp/weather changed a bunch?

+1 on shimming the carbs.

Blackwidow
August 24th, 2010, 01:59 PM
it was fine after a while...the initial stall was as i was coming out of the parking lot into the main street. i had to roll the throttle a lot to get it going. but it fixed itself up.

Blackwidow
September 7th, 2010, 08:31 AM
had a situation yesterday thought i'd share it. I had friends over for a bbq, so I decided to pull my bike out of the garage and bring it to the front of the house so i can show it off. anyway, after all was said and done...it was later at night around 9.30pm when it was a lot cooler out. I turned the bike on and let it warm up for a few minutes, I went around the block and went into the drive way...the driveway is a small steep hill, i was on second gear going up the hill, I rolled the throttle like i normally do and the bike stalled. I came to a complete stop on the damn hill and I was petrified!!!!! I put my left foot down and I was literally stuck, I got too scared to shift legs cuz of the weight of the bike and my awkward position on the hill, so i couldn't get the bike on first gear to take off. I kept my right foot on the back break and took my helmet off and started yelling for my bf to come and help, after what seemed like an eternity, the bf finally heard my cries and came to my rescue. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED???? I went around the block just fine and right at the incline the bike totally stops. HELP PLEASE.

backinthesaddleagain
September 7th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Paulette maybe it wasn't quite as warmed up as it needed to be. Might want to use 1st gear next time until its warm for sure.

Blackwidow
September 7th, 2010, 09:00 AM
what are my other options in case it happens again?

backinthesaddleagain
September 7th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I would grab front brake and clutch. Start the bike. Try to get it into first, I know that was a problem for you last night. Maybe gently let the clutch out to the friction point, pull it back in and try to downshift to first again (keep hand on F brake). If it still won't go to first then smoothly release some brake to SLOWLY roll back a couple INCHES, and see if you can get first gear. Bikes just don't like to shift when stationary, and its always at the worst times. Just imagine if you had to kick start it. Up hill is worst place to stall IMHO.

RedCromwell
September 7th, 2010, 09:09 AM
what are my other options in case it happens again?

Sounds similar to what I deal with leaving my driveway (incline up to main road).

Like "backinthesaddleagain" suggests, the bike probably wasn't as warmed up as you think. Especially if you were "cruising" through the neighborhood instead of revving through the gears like you would on a spirited ride. I know when I go through neighborhoods I'm usually in low gears and frequently coasting to stop at stop signs, etc..

If you can't "warm up" enough on short rides, I'd recommend leaving a little choke. The richer fuel mix will prevent the bike from stalling.

Or you could always have gunned it from the street and up your driveway and do a stoppie at the top. :wink:

Blackwidow
September 7th, 2010, 09:24 AM
well, i felt so helpless...i was very scared cuz i didn't know what to do. the damn weight of the bike scares the bejezus out of me, if I could shift legs, i would have gotten out of the situation with no problems, but having to hold up the weight on the incline road wasn't fun. Could i have put it in neutral and roll it down the hill backwards? would that be a good idea?

Cuongism
September 7th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Hills definitely suck! If you can (height issues might make it harder), hold your front brake and shift over to your right side so your left foot can drop the gear to first.
If you feel like you can't do that without dropping the bike, you should be able to start the bike in second gear as long as your clutch is pulled in. Turn your choke on full to prevent a stall since you have to be revved up higher to start out in second gear. Not sure how long your incline is, but be prepared to brake if its short. Starting out in second gear generally will accelerrate slower though until it gets to speed.

backinthesaddleagain
September 7th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Tough skill to practice. A dirt bike would make it so much easier to practice. I might not put in in neutral to roll back if I were you. Maybe leave it in gear and use the as an extra brake, of course then you let clutch out to slow you, the opposite of the brake. There is also a way to back down a bit, get it sideways on the hill, and then roll down the hill forwards (if a long hill). But again Paulette these are best practiced with a bike you don't mind dropping.

backinthesaddleagain
September 7th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Hills definitely suck! If you can (height issues might make it harder), hold your front brake and shift over to your right side so your left foot can drop the gear to first.
If you feel like you can't do that without dropping the bike, you should be able to start the bike in second gear as long as your clutch is pulled in. Turn your choke on full to prevent a stall since you have to be revved up higher to start out in second gear. Not sure how long your incline is, but be prepared to brake if its short. Starting out in second gear generally will accelerrate slower though until it gets to speed.

yeah I should have mentioned pull in the clutch and start the bike in my prior post, then try to get it down to first, by letting the clutch out gradually and back in or rolling back a few inches.

Cuongism
September 7th, 2010, 09:42 AM
yeah I should have mentioned pull in the clutch and start the bike in my prior post, then try to get it down to first, by letting the clutch out gradually and back in or rolling back a few inches.

I think she feels uncomfortable switching legs on a hill (she's probably not flatfooting). Just want to let her know she can take off in second gear if necessary.

CC Cowboy
September 7th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I working on a new rear tire.

Blackwidow
September 7th, 2010, 11:52 AM
i tried that, but as i would let the clutch go a little the bike would turn off. totally sucked!!!!

addy126
September 7th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I'm thinkin you are going to have to master your "friction" zone and throttle up... its a very fine balance to "stalling and not stalling", uphill especially. Baring this, one of those "I've fallen and can't get up" pendants may be helpful when trying to get the b.f.'s attention to come help instead of waking up the neighborhood.:thumbup:

bQlpDiXPZHQ

Cab305
September 7th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I barely use first gear. I literally shift into second the moment the bike is rolling. Sometimes approaching stop signs I'll downshift to first and try to do a rolling stop, without putting feet down, then right back to 2nd.

Flashmonkey
September 7th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I've had a couple of incidents lately where my front tire almost washed out on me mid-turn. Now I'm noticing that I'm a little more hesitant to lean into turns. I gotta work through this crap now....damnit!! :rolleyes:

kkim
September 7th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I've had a couple of incidents lately where my front tire almost washed out on me mid-turn. Now I'm noticing that I'm a little more hesitant to lean into turns. I gotta work through this crap now....damnit!! :rolleyes:

on the 750? if so, front fork suspension setting adjustment/tuning needed, maybe?

Flashmonkey
September 7th, 2010, 07:16 PM
on the 750? if so, front fork suspension setting adjustment/tuning needed, maybe?

Ya on the 750. I think the suspension is okay. Most of the incidents involve me running over rocks (damn rocks...) and the latest, most devastating incident involved some street car tracks (damn street car tracks....). I don't spook easily but when the front tire wobbled mid-turn as I went over the tracks I almost pooped myself. :D

The suspension does feel a little loose in general, though. I may have to tinker....

addy126
September 7th, 2010, 07:47 PM
lol Toronto is loaded with those slippery streetcar tracks... I never turn on them but set up for the move by picking my line across the groove as upright as possible to avoid goin down or getting caught up in the rail "groove". Those things can be a slippery prospect! :thumbup:

Flashmonkey
September 7th, 2010, 07:55 PM
lol Toronto is loaded with those slippery streetcar tracks... I never turn on them but set up for the move by picking my line across the groove as upright as possible to avoid goin down or getting caught up in the rail "groove". Those things can be a slippery prospect! :thumbup:

I couldn't agree more. I had a bit of a lean angle when i went over those tracks. It was a bright, sunny day and I figured things would be cool....but they weren't....they totally weren't.

Lesson: street car tracks are the devil

Blackwidow
September 8th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I'm thinkin you are going to have to master your "friction" zone and throttle up... its a very fine balance to "stalling and not stalling", uphill especially. Baring this, one of those "I've fallen and can't get up" pendants may be helpful when trying to get the b.f.'s attention to come help instead of waking up the neighborhood.:thumbup:

LOL bite me... men like to save a woman in distress, so i'll stick to the yelling and honking of the horn to get the bf's attention.

i know the friction zone, but being on second gear on a hill I couldn't get the bike to move.

Sailariel
September 8th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I decided to enroll in a Sportbike Driving School for a weekend--in two weeks. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

addy126
September 8th, 2010, 07:28 PM
LOL bite me... .

Now if u were just a little bit older..... one might consider it:D

backinthesaddleagain
September 8th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I decided to enroll in a Sportbike Driving School for a weekend--in two weeks. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Awesome Alex? Whose putting it on, and where?

Sailariel
September 8th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Tailspin Riding School Loudon, NH.

kkim
September 8th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
certainly not me! :D

Have fun, Alex... arrive at class in "sponge" mode.

Blackwidow
September 9th, 2010, 09:43 AM

what exactly do they teach you? do you take your own bike?

00NissanNinja
September 9th, 2010, 05:59 PM
what exactly do they teach you? do you take your own bike?

They teach you a lot of things like, cutting the apex of a corner, properly gauging your speed through a corner, proper body positioning, safe ways to overtake, visualizing the proper line through a corner, and so on. I'm gonna do the same one day. For now though I gotta get over my not wanting to lean much dilemma.

JeffM
September 12th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Todays ride - Worked on being smooth (usually every ride) but specifically, worked on keeping my head up and looking through turns as far as possible. One set of turns was cool as I could look up through the second set of turns while in the first.

Indy250r
September 12th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I've been working on rev matching while braking. Not easy!

eddiekay
September 21st, 2010, 09:12 PM
OK...I swear this is true.
Only in NYC.....
straight road ( BQ expressway)...straight road
we're behind some gangsta on a sport...not going fast...maybe 40
we see the bike veer sharply, then he straightens it out
he repeats this maybe 3 more times but always straightens up and continues to ride.
Finally... meet him at an exit ramp and ask what was wrong back there?
His reply...I was tryin' to knee drag

mrlmd
September 22nd, 2010, 03:38 PM
"question; how long do you guys warm up the bike before hitting the road? i warmed her up last night for about 5 minutes and when i took off, it seemed she didn't want to move...sounded like gas wasn't getting into her organs fast enough. "

It's not really a good idea to let the bike sit at idle for 5 min, for it to "warm up". And not good for a car either. At idle there's very little battery charging and poor oil circulation through the engine. Start it up with some choke. set it to run 2000-2500 rpms and go - ride off at moderate speed, that warms up the engine a lot quicker, charges the battery and circulates the oil much better. It should be fully warmed up within a few minutes or a mile or so of riding. As you are riding, just turn off the choke slowly, It should be off within a mile or two or a minute or two without a problem.

CC Cowboy
September 22nd, 2010, 06:44 PM
I practiced my squid skills tonight. I still got it!

Flashmonkey
September 22nd, 2010, 08:46 PM
I practiced my squid skills tonight. I still got it!

With or without underwear?

Blackwidow
September 23rd, 2010, 12:14 PM
i learned something new today, but it wasn't about skills, so i apologize in advance Kelly if this isn't the right thread to put it in.

On my way to work I saw a biker come up next to me, so i moved the car to the side to give him ample space to pass me safely...I noticed he had his hazard lights on...I didn't even know bikes have that option. I'm not sure what type of bike it was, but it was sport and a really big one that looked super fast.

dubojr1
September 23rd, 2010, 12:18 PM
i learned something new today, but it wasn't about skills, so i apologize in advance Kelly if this isn't the right thread to put it in.

On my way to work I saw a biker come up next to me, so i moved the car to the side to give him ample space to pass me safely...I noticed he had his hazard lights on...I didn't even know bikes have that option. I'm not sure what type of bike it was, but it was sport and a really big one that looked super fast.

I think Suzuki's have hazard and parking lights. Sounds like a Hayabusa.

Cuongism
September 23rd, 2010, 12:52 PM
Doesn't the ninja 650 have them too?

Blackwidow
September 23rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
i looked online to see pics of Hayabusa, and yup, you're right Jason...it was a Hayabusa...awesome looking bike.

Cuongism
September 23rd, 2010, 01:05 PM
By awesome, you must mean extremely fugly :p
Back on topic, I replaced my fork seals and dust covers.

Flashmonkey
September 23rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
Back on topic, I replaced my fork seals and dust covers.

Good God...how messy did it get?

Cuongism
September 23rd, 2010, 02:07 PM
Messy? The fork oil I use is dark greenish, but I have a pan that collects all the fluids. It's not really messy, just time consuming.

Blackwidow
October 4th, 2010, 12:28 PM
YAY- i'm at 358 miles, what does that mean? well in 142 more miles I get to rev that sucka up and hit the freeway...woot woot.

Staying on topic....i learned that going 70mph isn't as scary as I thought. going riding this weekend I actually hit that speed and it felt sooooo good. though I realized i really need that double bubble windscreen...the wind was pretty hardcore.

kkim
October 4th, 2010, 12:53 PM
well in 142 more miles I get to rev that sucka up and hit the freeway...woot woot.

you do know you really don't have to wait till then, don't you? :)

Blackwidow
October 4th, 2010, 01:23 PM
yes...but i rather wait and have a peace of mind. I mean i hit 70mpg while keeping the rpm under 7K, but i don't want to constantly look at my gauge, I want to keep an eye out on the road. thats why i want to wait till 500 miles, get my oil changed and get on the freeway.

kkim
October 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM
well then I hate to break it to you, but it's 600 miles, not 500... and full break in doesn't occur until 1000 miles according to Kawasaki.

Blackwidow
October 4th, 2010, 01:30 PM
i love it..."i hate it break it to you BUT i'm gonna anyway" lol

The kawi dealer said 500 miles...so i'm sticking to that. i'm following directions so they don't have an excuse to void my warranty.

kkim
October 4th, 2010, 01:36 PM
unfortunately, your warranty is with Kawasaki, not your dealer.

Blackwidow
October 4th, 2010, 01:41 PM
ok damn it, i'm scared!!! lol there i said it!! people here drive like a-holes! im using the break in excuse to avoid the freeway as long as i can. its the story i keep telling the bf..and its the story i'm gonna use to tell you fine folks.

i'm waiting to hit 500 miles because of the break in period not because i'm scared. thats my story and i'm sticking to it. loool

Flashmonkey
October 4th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Ah the freeway. My very first thought upon entering the freeway on my ninja 250 was "Holy sh*t...is it always this windy?!?!?"

Good times.

Anyway, take your time with this. You'll know when you're ready.

kkim
October 4th, 2010, 02:12 PM
yeah, get some time on uncrowded roads other than the freeway to become comfortable with the speed. long rides in the country are nice.

gl... take your time. you need to be confident in yourself and abilities before moving to the next step. baby steps... remember? :baby:

riding is supposed to be fun. when it ceases to be that, take a step back, regroup and clear your mind before proceeding.

Ryosen11
October 4th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Ah the freeway. My very first thought upon entering the freeway on my ninja 250 was "Holy sh*t...is it always this windy?!?!?"

Good times.

LOL +1
and yes no need to rush.

And for myself, lately I've been working on my acceleration through the turn. I need to be more smooooth!

Flashmonkey
October 4th, 2010, 06:50 PM
And for myself, lately I've been working on my acceleration through the turn. I need to be more smooooth!

It's worth mentioning that cleaning and lubing your chain helps with the smoothness.....a LOT. If the throttle is a little choppier than normal...clean your damn chain. :D

Ryosen11
October 4th, 2010, 07:29 PM
It's worth mentioning that cleaning and lubing your chain helps with the smoothness.....a LOT. If the throttle is a little choppier than normal...clean your damn chain. :D
I wish I could blame my chain for the choppiness but....it's me...my skill. :p

But I didn't know it makes that much of a difference!

Flashmonkey
October 4th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I wish I could blame my chain for the choppiness but....it's me...my skill. :p

But I didn't know it makes that much of a difference!

Oh yea. It's not earth shattering or anything, but I find that maintenance throttle is a little easier to maintain when your chain is nicely lubed.

Rosie
October 4th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Like Paulette.. I'm scared s%#$less of the highway speeds :scared:
As soon as I get close to 65-ish that wind blowing so much scares me!! :(

How do you get used to that?? I mean.. that's a lot of wind hitting you sometimes.. :o

Flashmonkey
October 4th, 2010, 08:25 PM
How do you get used to that?? I mean.. that's a lot of wind hitting you sometimes.. :o

It does take some getting used to. Especially when there's a fairly strong cross wind. You'll get used to it, though. Depending on your personality type, you may even get addicted to it. :D

Rosie
October 4th, 2010, 08:52 PM
It does take some getting used to. Especially when there's a fairly strong cross wind. You'll get used to it, though. Depending on your personality type, you may even get addicted to it. :D

I always feel like I'm gonna get blown off the bike! :eek:
I guess it's still too soon for highway WOT :p

Ryosen11
October 4th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Like Paulette.. I'm scared s%#$less of the highway speeds :scared:
As soon as I get close to 65-ish that wind blowing so much scares me!! :(

Upper body relaxed. Arms not stiff. Light grip.
If you are tense, your upper body movement will cause your bike to move as well. Use your leg, squeezing the bike to hold you securely on.

You'll get use to it. Increase your travel distance little by little on a familiar freeway. :)

ally99
October 5th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I always feel like I'm gonna get blown off the bike! :eek:
I guess it's still too soon for highway WOT :p

Trust that you won't. Make a conscious effort to relax that upper body. There are time we all want to tense up on the bike. When this happens, feel free to transfer that tension to your thighs. They can grip your tank all you want! It's much more important that your upper body be loose and fluid. (What? No smiley for being blown off your bike by the wind? Smilies are lettin' me down! :D )

Rosie
October 5th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Trust that you won't. Make a conscious effort to relax that upper body. There are time we all want to tense up on the bike. When this happens, feel free to transfer that tension to your thighs. They can grip your tank all you want! It's much more important that your upper body be loose and fluid. (What? No smiley for being blown off your bike by the wind? Smilies are lettin' me down! :D )

I find it very easy to tense up when the wind blows.. I feel like if I don't I'll loose control of the bike. One time I even thought to tuck so the wind would not blast on my upper body, but I do realize a tuck at 60 mph looks pretty stupid :rolleyes: I suppose it'll come with time. I have already learned how to shift very smoothly and break without issues and without locking tires, I guess this will be my next skill to learn :)

onetruevibe
October 5th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I've been working on throttle matching when downshifting. To get a feel for it, I started by looking at the tac before pulling the clutch...so I knew what to match....but I quickly realized that that's a stupid crazy thing to do.:eek:

So...I'm working on just "getting a feel for it" and keeping my eyes on the road.:thumbup:

I've stayed away from the highways to this point. Mainly because there's not much need for them around here. The twisty country roads get me where I'm going just fine. Besides, there are no cows to dodge on the highway. zzzzzz.

That said...the highway does feel a bit like unexplored territory that must be conquered. Maybe next season.;)

rockNroll
October 5th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I find it very easy to tense up when the wind blows.. I feel like if I don't I'll loose control of the bike. One time I even thought to tuck so the wind would not blast on my upper body, but I do realize a tuck at 60 mph looks pretty stupid :rolleyes: I suppose it'll come with time. I have already learned how to shift very smoothly and break without issues and without locking tires, I guess this will be my next skill to learn :)

A tuck at 60mph isn't stupid, it might be functional as well as fun. Just make sure to keep your head up enough that you can still get your big picture view. Easy on your bars, relax them arms. Practice swerving, using pressure on your bars only (when not in wind). When a wind gust throws you, this is all it takes to keep things under control :D

Rosie
October 5th, 2010, 10:31 AM
A tuck at 60mph isn't stupid, it might be functional as well as fun. Just make sure to keep your head up enough that you can still get your big picture view. Easy on your bars, relax them arms. Practice swerving, using pressure on your bars only (when not in wind). When a wind gust throws you, this is all it takes to keep things under control :D

The tuck felt pretty silly to me :p Like, I'm no Wayne Rainey or Valentino Rossi you know? :rolleyes: I did have to push on the bars once when the wind was blowing a bit too hard just to keep the bike straight, and that scared me so I figured highway speed is just going to be worse. Practice, practice, practice ;)