View Full Version : Pre-Gen Tire Hugger

Snake
August 11th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Question for all you pre-gen owners:

If a Tire Hugger were available for our pre-gen bikes would you buy one?

Personaly I would buy one. I have chopped my fender and I think it would add to the look while keeping some of the rain and road grim from being kicked up.

CZroe
August 11th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Question for all you pre-gen owners:

If a Tire Hugger were available for our pre-gen bikes would you buy one?

Personaly I would buy one. I have chopped my fender and I think it would add to the look while keeping some of the rain and road grim from being kicked up.

I'd buy a pregen just to stick it on!

hubcapbandit
August 13th, 2010, 03:54 PM
You bet I would :thumbup:

Snake
August 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Sorry but there does not seem to be enough interest on this forum to try and convince someone to produce them for me. I had hoped I would have got more replies of people showing interest.

CZroe
August 14th, 2010, 06:59 PM
A swingarm cover/tire hugger is all the Ducati 999 Ninja 250 really needs!

Snake
August 15th, 2010, 05:56 AM
A swingarm cover/tire hugger is all the Ducati 999 Ninja 250 really needs!

??? :confused:

CZroe
August 15th, 2010, 10:40 AM
??? :confused:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22424
http://www.davisracingteam.com/ducati999ninja250

bamaland
September 14th, 2010, 04:26 AM
snake, you know i'd get one!

if there's still not enough ppl maybe i can ask my local machine shop friend to maybe come up with something affordable to everyone?

Snake
September 14th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Chris, that would be great, thanks. Most are made out of plastic or fiberglass but if he could make something lightweight that would do the trick.

bamaland
September 14th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Chris, that would be great, thanks. Most are made out of plastic or fiberglass but if he could make something lightweight that would do the trick.

yea i was thinking maybe some thicker aluminum? hell if i had a roller machine i'd make em my damn self! actually.. think i just figured out how to make my own...

will give an update later today if possible

Snake
September 14th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I can't waait to see how it comes out.

Raybot
September 19th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I would get one! I think that would look awesome!

komohana
September 19th, 2010, 10:57 AM
snake, you know i'd get one!

if there's still not enough ppl maybe i can ask my local machine shop friend to maybe come up with something affordable to everyone?

yo i'd be interested if it lookd good and price was right...AND shipping cant be more than the product

:(

darrell85
September 19th, 2010, 04:13 PM
definately interested, I've wanted one ever since I chopped the rear fender. Let me know if you all figure something out.

sudapuff
September 19th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I'd buy one

bamaland
September 22nd, 2010, 01:38 PM
will keep ya'll informed. soon as im done rebuilding the 500 ill start the fab work again and hopefully come out with something cool!

if ya'll would like to give any suggestions on the shape of the hugger feel free to post something up :thumbup:

also would ya'll like to have a chain guard built in also? i think that would be pretty neat :)

Snake
September 22nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
Yes, definetly have the chain guard built in.

Rosie
September 22nd, 2010, 04:32 PM
Nice.. I'd consider buying one too :)

CZroe
September 23rd, 2010, 04:45 AM
will keep ya'll informed. soon as im done rebuilding the 500 ill start the fab work again and hopefully come out with something cool!

if ya'll would like to give any suggestions on the shape of the hugger feel free to post something up :thumbup:

also would ya'll like to have a chain guard built in also? i think that would be pretty neat :)

I saw a pretty cool reshaping of the front fender that I think goes well with a hugger...

bamaland
September 23rd, 2010, 09:21 AM
i was thinking the below style would be the cheapest production way to make these. in 2-piece sections (hugger and chain guard) which will be bolts together during assembly.

now im sure i would be able to offer it as a hole piece (fiber glassed together) but it will be a higher cost of course.

this style offers being able to be mounted on the left side by using just the chain guard's stock mounting holes.(how other side is mounted is unknown) the center is mounted to front part of the swing arm (via 1-2 holes)
http://www.xdcycle.com/discount-motorcycle-accessories/images/P/kawasaki-zx10r-hotbodies-tire-hugger-abs-plastic.jpg

as for price right now it is still undetermined. heck i wouldn't really know what to charge. i see other huggers going for anywhere from $90-$150

i'm hoping to be able to keep cost down as much as possible!

i do need a head count on 100% buyers. the most there are the quicker i can get started. the bike will be finished by wednesday next week(9/29/10)

also like i said, i can only offer 2 material types right now. aluminum or fiber glass (fiber glass being more expensive)

so please give me some numbers on buyers and what you would ideally like to pay for one.

all parts will also be available in 3 make ready styles. fresh fab with no paint/primer, fully primed, fully polished

CZroe
September 23rd, 2010, 06:02 PM
i was thinking the below style would be the cheapest production way to make these. in 2-piece sections (hugger and chain guard) which will be bolts together during assembly.

now im sure i would be able to offer it as a hole piece (fiber glassed together) but it will be a higher cost of course.

this style offers being able to be mounted on the left side by using just the chain guard's stock mounting holes.(how other side is mounted is unknown) the center is mounted to front part of the swing arm (via 1-2 holes)
http://www.xdcycle.com/discount-motorcycle-accessories/images/P/kawasaki-zx10r-hotbodies-tire-hugger-abs-plastic.jpg

as for price right now it is still undetermined. heck i wouldn't really know what to charge. i see other huggers going for anywhere from $90-$150

i'm hoping to be able to keep cost down as much as possible!

i do need a head count on 100% buyers. the most there are the quicker i can get started. the bike will be finished by wednesday next week(9/29/10)

also like i said, i can only offer 2 material types right now. aluminum or fiber glass (fiber glass being more expensive)

so please give me some numbers on buyers and what you would ideally like to pay for one.

all parts will also be available in 3 make ready styles. fresh fab with no paint/primer, fully primed, fully polished

Cheapest, yes, but I would still be dreaming of one that disguises the swingarm. Think about how ugly that Ducati 999 Ninjette's swingarm is compares to a real Ducati's beautiful, flowing single-sided swingarm.

With a few small enhancements, I think a pre-gen can look VERY modern.... just a false cowl-line seat cover from Becky at CustomSeatCreations.com, a double-bubble windscreen + reshaped headlight with body color (on the headlight and outer "bubble" of the windscreen), some sportier mirrors, DIY fender eliminator with flush and integrated signals (the tail is already set up for this; the stalky signals were a DOT reg change) and a hugger that also hides the swingarm. It would be BEAUTIFUL.

bamaland
September 23rd, 2010, 09:13 PM
Cheapest, yes, but I would still be dreaming of one that disguises the swingarm. Think about how ugly that Ducati 999 Ninjette's swingarm is compares to a real Ducati's beautiful, flowing single-sided swingarm.

With a few small enhancements, I think a pre-gen can look VERY modern.... just a false cowl-line seat cover from Becky at CustomSeatCreations.com, a double-bubble windscreen + reshaped headlight with body color (on the headlight and outer "bubble" of the windscreen), some sportier mirrors, DIY fender eliminator with flush and integrated signals (the tail is already set up for this; the stalky signals were a DOT reg change) and a hugger that also hides the swingarm. It would be BEAUTIFUL.

so you mean one like this?
http://www.xdcycle.com/discount-motorcycle-accessories/images/P/kawasaki-zx6r-tire-hugger-2005-2006-hotbodies.jpg

i considered it a possibility on down the road when i get more experience with fiberglass work. I'm sure i could do it now if i took my time with it and had the spare $$ to do so.

sudapuff
September 24th, 2010, 08:30 AM
the most i would be willing to pay is $120 but it would have to be painted of some color for that price ( i think a glossy black would work with every bike).

bamaland
September 24th, 2010, 08:39 AM
yes of course, like i was saying, i want to be able to keep the cost as low as possible because the difference in cost will come back to you no matter what, meaning if i was to sell them for say $80-90 i think i would sell maybe twice the amount compared to if they were say $100-120. so i'll still be able to make enough on my end in the long run. because believe me with the time i put in for this and then having to perfect it and possibly paint it for each order the cost of everything will just pile up but so long as i dont spend more time building then shipping them i should come out just fine.

my expected material cost is around $160 to make maybe 2-4 of them, won't know exactly until i can start..

im almost done with the painting on my bike then ill be off to start motor work so were looking at about a week or two before im able to even start doing some hands on work.

CZroe
September 26th, 2010, 12:39 AM
so you mean one like this?
http://www.xdcycle.com/discount-motorcycle-accessories/images/P/kawasaki-zx6r-tire-hugger-2005-2006-hotbodies.jpg

i considered it a possibility on down the road when i get more experience with fiberglass work. I'm sure i could do it now if i took my time with it and had the spare $$ to do so.

That swingarm has extra bulk to it already, to which the hugger attaches. The current gen 250 has the same problem (blocky little swingarm), which Sportisi fixes by "faking" the style you show above:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8300&d=1280029494

There is a fake arch connecting the left and the right "arms."

bamaland
September 26th, 2010, 06:47 AM
yea... im not to much of a fan of that lol. mine would lay directly on the swing arm not making it bulkier

CZroe
September 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM
yea... im not to much of a fan of that lol. mine would lay directly on the swing arm not making it bulkier

Well, the swingarm on the one you just posted has a bar that rises up and wraps around just like the fake on on the Sportisi with the only difference being that one is fake and has the area in between filled in. It doesn't have to be... there is a GSX-R styled one, also from Indonesia, that does it that way. It apes the GSX-R swingarm so well that it looks like it even fits the OEM Suzuki hugger piece, though I feel that it doesn't match the new-gen Ninjette very well (it may match the pregen better).

Edit:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/wayanlam/JAMS/dsc02473.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/wayanlam/JAMS/dsc02297a.jpg
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4484&d=1254907849

That one is VERY similar to the one you suggested. You can see the copy on a J-series Ninjette and the original GSX-R hugger with the only difference I can see on the hugger piece being a mounting hole on the other side. The fake swingarm piece looks convincing and doesn't take too much of the angular look away or fill in the area, in case that was the visual aesthetic you didn't like about Sportisi's. It's the concept I'm trying to show, not the style of a particular design.

bamaland
September 26th, 2010, 11:59 AM
it's similar yes but not 100% like i was thinking.
there wont be any 'fake' swingarm addition.

the 1piece design i was talking about would first be a molded hugger that will flare out for the chain and then sit flat on the swingarm itself.

so no dividing gaps just smooth n sleek.

ill try to mock something up with photoshop and play around with it see what i can come up with...
would use cad but dont really have a computer capable of handling that yet lol

the above style is to complicated for me, plus in the even in a crash all that bulky stuff would be trashed. mine will be out the way of certain dangers so you wont have to worry about all that bulkiness cracking and stuff :)

Snake
September 26th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Chris, If you do not have a pre-gen in your area I can ride down for the fab & fit process.

bamaland
September 26th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Chris, If you do not have a pre-gen in your area I can ride down for the fab & fit process.

yea imma need you n your bikes help :)
imma fab it off the ex500 but gonna need fitment testing on the ex250

Hunsy34
April 14th, 2011, 03:40 PM
So is there any update on the tire hugger for the pre gen's?

choneofakind
April 14th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Updates would be nice. I would be interested as long as the price is right. Would it work with a 90 height tire?

Snake
April 14th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Sorry, I searched but could not find anyone that would manufacture one for the pregens.

fjyang
April 14th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I would be interested too, hope to see pics

Hunsy34
April 15th, 2011, 04:52 AM
I wonder how bamaland is making out or if anything became of his project he was gonna start.

Jinx250
April 15th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Considering how little of it you'd see because of the tail, no way. The Old gen does not have the rear end shape that is well suited to a hugger IMO. But it would be interesting to see what he comes up with.

CZroe
April 15th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Considering how little of it you'd see because of the tail, no way. The Old gen does not have the rear end shape that is well suited to a hugger IMO. But it would be interesting to see what he comes up with.

With a taller current-gen shock and turn signals moved into the pods with the fender taken off, there's plenty of room to see. Remove the passenger pegs and add a sport cowl or race tail or even a cowl-line seat cover and the tail end looks very up-to-date except for the dinky swingarm. A hugger with a swingarm cover would seal the deal.

CZroe
October 5th, 2011, 06:52 AM
OK, back to this: I've read in other threads that you can use the entire rear suspension setup including the complete swingarm from the current-gen, so I imagine you can use huggers too. This excites me. Now I want that Duc999 EX250-F and a J-series swingarm and a J-series hugger. :)

Chim
October 5th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Bonus, that is all.

choneofakind
October 5th, 2011, 07:09 AM
while you're at it, do the front end as well. Might as well get the improved forks, cooler fender, and same diameter rim as the rear.

Now you'll be able to run a 140 rear tire as well. cool looking pre-gen. or you could really go for the big rear look and get the 4.5 inch rear wheel from sportisi in the same order that you get your hugger from. save on shipping.

but at that point, I bet that a pre-gen with basic upgrades like sticky tires, new-gen shock, and fork work would handle better in the twisty stuff

CZroe
October 5th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Front end wouldn't be a simple swap. :(

choneofakind
October 5th, 2011, 01:22 PM
It wouldn't? How different are the head bearings? Couldn't you just swap triples along with the forks? I'm no expert in this area

cerberusrex25
October 5th, 2011, 08:23 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8765&d=1281893988

This is sooooooo hot, Too bad it eliminates the taillights and renders it race only.

choneofakind
October 5th, 2011, 08:30 PM
http://www.aerostich.com/stopper-led-brake-light-versa-light.html

You could do one of these on both top and bottom of the license plate. I know it's awfully minimalist, but if you wired some red LED's on the passenger pegs also, you would be mostly legal.

It looks like he did something like that in this picture

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8765

there's one red bar above his plate. I would assume that's his brake light

cerberusrex25
October 5th, 2011, 08:50 PM
http://www.aerostich.com/stopper-led-brake-light-versa-light.html

You could do one of these on both top and bottom of the license plate. I know it's awfully minimalist, but if you wired some red LED's on the passenger pegs also, you would be mostly legal.

It looks like he did something like that in this picture

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8765

there's one red bar above his plate. I would assume that's his brake light

I actually love clean and minimalistic. I am already thinking of buying another pregen to experiment with. Glad ius winter and I kinda wanna do modding ,fab and general motorcycle mechanics for a living.

choneofakind
October 5th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Go for it! you could be the guinea pig for every "can this be done to a pregen?" question. :D

cerberusrex25
October 5th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I dont mind being an innovator, although this time I didn't do it first just perfected it LOL.

what about these for an udertail set of pipes:

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/t-replacement_muffler_TRC_undertail.aspx?imsec=road

CZroe
October 6th, 2011, 04:44 AM
It wouldn't? How different are the head bearings? Couldn't you just swap triples along with the forks? I'm no expert in this area

I'm making an assumption. If they were easily compatible, I figure I'd see a lot of switches after crashes considering how often forks get tweaked.

This is sooooooo hot, Too bad it eliminates the taillights and renders it race only.

I'm pretty sure that strip above the plate has integrated LED signals and brake light. I mean, why else have the license plate? :P

choneofakind
October 6th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Those pipes are sweet. heck yes.

choneofakind
December 26th, 2011, 09:00 AM
bump on this thread. I just ordered an OEM hugger for the 2011 CBR250R. I know it fits the new-gen bike, and I've been told the swingarm on the new-gen is only a touch wider than the pregen.

I will post up my results on if it fits well or not, along with pictures eventually. if not, it was only $24 including shipping :thumbup:

I just hope that it gets here before I have to go back to school, or else my DIY will have to wait till spring break

Ninja Nut
December 28th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Looks like it still has lights to me.

cerberusrex25
December 28th, 2011, 03:23 PM
It does, I noticed later but never cared to edit my original post. I still want to see about getting me that undertail exhaust, I wonder how much would it be for a custom job like that?

choneofakind
January 6th, 2012, 02:35 PM
when I took apart my bike for my uni trak service and swingarm service, I played around with the exhaust a little bit.

I came to the conclusion that the Ducati 250R guy must have just gotten rid of the tail fender completely, and then just routed the exhaust up there. If you could find a pipe bender and made some mock-ups on your bike with flexible plastic tubing, you could get a set of two brothers slipons, then make your own mid pipes based on the mock-ups. All you would need is to mount the two mufflers off the frame right under the seat and go from there.

You could get a pair of any brand cheap exhaust slip-ons for that matter (DanMoto could look cool), and then just bend the pipes on your own, and get them coated. It would look sweet. There's plenty of space under there once you take off the fender and get rid of the tail light.

Personally, I think a high-mount system would look cooler than the undertail. Same idea with making your own mid-pipes, and then mount them off the frame, only the high-rise system would keep the storage area.

plus you seem to be good at doing fabrication work on your own. If you could find a secure way of mounting the cans and a good way to bend the pipes, you could do it for the price of parts and whatever finish you wanted on the mid-pipes

choneofakind
January 9th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Bump on this one more time. My apologies, my hugger still hasn't gotten delivered to my house even though it was expected to be delivered by 1/6/12 :mad:

Long story short, my possible pre-gen hugger installation DIY will have to wait until my spring break, which is the first week of March.

Sorry guys.

*edit*
My hugger got delivered today (1/11/12) at my house! Spring break can't come soon enough!!
*/edit*

Tony B
January 10th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Just tossing an idea into the melting pot : anyone thought about using a spare front mudguard to fab their own hugger .......... ? If not using it, then at least it would be a good start for a mould :thumbup:

choneofakind
January 10th, 2012, 12:47 PM
It's not wide enough to fit over a 130 rear. Especially because the BT45 and the sport demon are both 138mm wide. It's also meant to hug the front tire which is a smaller diameter than the rear.

Tony B
January 12th, 2012, 01:18 AM
It's not wide enough to fit over a 130 rear. Especially because the BT45 and the sport demon are both 138mm wide. It's also meant to hug the front tire which is a smaller diameter than the rear.

Good point ! I double checked this with a spare wheel and front mudguard, (tyre was something obscure - can't remember what). Yes, fits tight.

Might still be a starting point to use as a former for a mould though, just have to make sure you use a couple of layers OVER the front 'guard to ensure it ends up big enough.

Alternatively, if you prefer steel, perhaps a trailer 'guard might be the answer. On the custom forums, the guys often use these, especially on trike builds. Just need to use your imagination, and there's nothing better than the satisfaction of making a one-off item rather than buying something off the shelf.:thumbup:

choneofakind
January 12th, 2012, 09:12 AM
True, but after some inspection of the pictures my mom sent me of my CBR250 hugger, that looks like it should fit. It only has the swingarm fattener on one side, so that there's no issues with the hugger needing to be trimmed for the side with the brake like the newgen guys do with the Byson hugger.

Plus it was only $24 shipped, and I can take satisfaction in having something that I was creative enough to make work and looks OEM and was still not expensive. Assuming I can get it to work that is... :rolleyes:

I just want a hugger that will keep my shock clean, and looks like it belongs on the bike. yeah one from a trailer would do the former, but IMHO, not the latter. They look right on a trike, but the 250 is no trike

*edit*
would it be possible to heat a spare front fender up a little and make it wider so that it would fit over the back wheel? I'm not sure if that's how ABS plastic works or not...
*/edit*

Tony B
January 12th, 2012, 10:18 AM
True, but after some inspection of the pictures my mom sent me of my CBR250 hugger, that looks like it should fit. It only has the swingarm fattener on one side, so that there's no issues with the hugger needing to be trimmed for the side with the brake like the newgen guys do with the Byson hugger.

Plus it was only $24 shipped, and I can take satisfaction in having something that I was creative enough to make work and looks OEM and was still not expensive. Assuming I can get it to work that is... :rolleyes:

I just want a hugger that will keep my shock clean, and looks like it belongs on the bike. yeah one from a trailer would do the former, but IMHO, not the latter. They look right on a trike, but the 250 is no trike

*edit*
would it be possible to heat a spare front fender up a little and make it wider so that it would fit over the back wheel? I'm not sure if that's how ABS plastic works or not...
*/edit*

Ah, who's going to be the first on this forum to trike a Ninjette ? :D

I don't think heating ABS type plastic will work. It's injection moulded and very stiff. Also, it's got those tube shapes for the forks, so actually, come to think of it, my idea was pretty crap !

Yes, adapting something from another machine that does the job, and, looks good, is a great idea :thumbup:

choneofakind
January 12th, 2012, 10:29 AM
TRIKE NINJETTE!!! :D

actually, you likely could get a front fender to work still. The rounded parts for the forks could likely sit on the swingarm. Hack off the back half of the front fender and find some way to mount it?

If it was far enough forward, it might clear the wheel, and if you trimmed it like this

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/bike4.jpg

which i got from this thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51876)

It might make it around the back wheel without touching. It would be worth it to give it a try if you have an old/cheap front fender running around loose

Tony B
January 12th, 2012, 10:39 AM
TRIKE NINJETTE!!! :D

actually, you likely could get a front fender to work still. The rounded parts for the forks could likely sit on the swingarm. Hack off the back half of the front fender and find some way to mount it?

If it was far enough forward, it might clear the wheel, and if you trimmed it like this

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/bike4.jpg

which i got from this thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51876)

It might make it around the back wheel without touching. It would be worth it to give it a try if you have an old/cheap front fender running around loose

Hmm, nice. I might just have a 'play' ......... ;)

choneofakind
January 12th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Play. Post results. I know I'm being a hypocrite in that statement since I have yet to try the CBR hugger, but that's because the hugger is in the 3-3-0, and I'm in the A-D-A :cool:

cerberusrex25
January 12th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I want that Muzzy exhaust, is drooltastic!!!!

choneofakind
September 8th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Bump on this thread, with my post from this thread:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111255

Hmmm, I just got it to work, no contact issues, no nothing like that. I apparently was full of tartar sauce when I did it last time and didn't have the can on right or something... :o

I took plenty of pictures to show you where I trimmed the undertail. I think we'll be able to get yours installed without clearance issues yet!!! (idk for sure though, I have my tail raised a lot which helps. I'll see about getting all these pictures up in a decent time.)

EDIT TO ADD SOME PICTURES FOR Monkeytofu:

I started by cutting down the chain guard a little:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=893&pictureid=9198

Then I made cuts for the tabs on the swingarm. They are on the right and left corners of the front of the hugger:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=893&pictureid=9197
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=893&pictureid=9196

Then I hacked off the bottom of the front mounting tab. I cut that a bit, and used JB Weld to connect the tab to the hugger. I worked for me, even after riding for 130+ miles with it :idunno:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=893&pictureid=9195
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=893&pictureid=9199

Then I made a little bracket for the back. To attach the hugger to the bracket, I needed a screw, a nut for the back, and a washer, because the hole was bigger than the head of the screw that I chose. The bracket attaches nicely to the swingarm using the stock bolt:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=893&pictureid=9194

I also trimmed my undertail drastically. I think this is the step you need to make to gain some more clearance and stop rubbing the top of it at least. My tail is also raised, which helps I think. This shot shows the general line that I followed. I think I could have taken more off that corner on the left, but meh:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=893&pictureid=9190

For the right side, I used the stock holder for the brake line and drilled a hole in it. I used a ziptie to connect the hugger to the modded brake line thingy. I think I will make a long bracket in the future that will go from the torque link to the modded brake line thingy so that it doesn't shift forward and make the hugger off-center like it does now. The bracket will only be to stop the modded brake thing from moving; the modded brake holder will actually hold the hugger:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=893&pictureid=9189

The front mounting hole on the tab lines right up with the stock mounting point:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=893&pictureid=9193

Here you can see that the hugger sits just in front of the cross-member of the swingarm when installed like this. I hope that this means it will drip down onto the wheel, and not onto the swingarm:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=893&pictureid=9187

and here's what it looks like installed. Pardon the dirt, the ride I went on was a little wet and threw some dirt everywhere:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=893&pictureid=9192
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=893&pictureid=9191
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=893&pictureid=9188
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=893&pictureid=9184

damn that was pic-heavy. I think in the winter, I will trim off the portion at the rear end of the faux-swingarm thing so it doesn't stick out quite so bad. I might also get some krylon flat black paint for plastic and get it a fresh coat of black, because it gets scuffed up easily as you can see. There's little scuff marks all over it from when I bumped it into things on the bike like the plate, or the undertail, etc :(

I'm still debating on getting matching lime green paint from colorrite and masking off the hugger part and painting it. But I'm not really good at paint, so I likely won't go green, because that would have to actually look good, or else it would just look bad, so leaving it black might just be easiest.

NOTE: I made the bracket with tin snips, a drill, and some basic thin sheet metal. I also cleaned up the edges made when trimming the hugger with a blowtorch.

Monkeytofu
September 8th, 2012, 11:47 PM
To be honest, I think the CBR250 hugger makes the back of our bikes look way too aesthetically messy; especially if you're running a stock exhaust like I am.

I think a a more modern/stylish mud guard would really help the back of our bikes.

Snake
September 9th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Chris, thanks for including your post to this thread. I think it looks great.

choneofakind
September 9th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I think if it was more modern looking, that would confuse the bike style-wise.

The bike is classic. It really needs a classic, basic hugger like what is on mid-90's Ducati's

spent_too_much
January 3rd, 2015, 08:22 PM
I just ordered an OEM hugger for the 2011 - 2013 CBR 250R as well. Let's hope it looks as good for me, as it does for others. :thumbup:

FYI - local dealer price for me was $25

Snake
January 3rd, 2015, 09:20 PM
I just ordered an OEM hugger for the 2011 - 2013 CBR 250R as well. Let's hope it looks as good for me, as it does for others. :thumbup:

FYI - local dealer price for me was $25

Please post a pic when you are done.

Ghostt
January 4th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Not a hugger but a better looking chain guard, look at one of my blogs,

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?b=8358

spent_too_much
January 14th, 2015, 08:49 AM
The hugger arrived yesterday. Hopefully, within the next few days I can modify and mount it. I'll be sure to post pics of the process. I have a spare swingarm to facilitate test fitting.

spent_too_much
January 15th, 2015, 06:04 AM
I spent an hour, sizing things up. I'm not sure if should place it so that it sits closer to the frame of the bike, or closer to the wheel. I also thought having the swingarm by itself would make things easier to align, but not so. When I have things lined up on the chain side, the overhang is too much on the brake side. I also find myself twisting the huger to make it al line up, to find that I have twisted the "fender" part out of alignment. Thoughts?

spent_too_much
January 16th, 2015, 07:23 AM
I worked on fitment last night for a while, and decided to mount the hugger on the wheel side of the swingarm crossmember. I used blue tape to measure the before and after, for a reference of just how much I trimmed. I started off strong, with pictures, but then focussed on the trimming, not photographing. Some highlights...

CZroe
January 16th, 2015, 09:17 AM
Might I suggest that you paint the swingarm and lower portion of the hugger black to match? I'd paint the footrest mounting stays as well. All that gray/silver just looks weird and I think it goes a long way toward updating the look of an old bike.

I think the flat black high temp grill paint looks perfect except that the pregen has gloss black on the frame.

crazymadbastard
January 16th, 2015, 09:39 AM
spent_too_much can you weigh the swinger? also how wide it is at the pivot axle to the frame?

spent_too_much
January 16th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Might I suggest that you paint the swingarm and lower portion of the hugger black to match? I'd paint the footrest mounting stays as well. All that gray/silver just looks weird and I think it goes a long way toward updating the look of an old bike.

I think the flat black high temp grill paint looks perfect except that the pregen has gloss black on the frame.

Yes, I agree. It will be painted, once I complete the hugger. I was thinking of black plastidip for it.

spent_too_much
January 16th, 2015, 07:24 PM
spent_too_much can you weigh the swinger? also how wide it is at the pivot axle to the frame?

I'll get back to you with that information.

Ghostt
January 16th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Yes, I agree. It will be painted, once I complete the hugger. I was thinking of black plastidip for it.

All depends on color scheme of the bike.

spent_too_much
January 20th, 2015, 09:12 AM
I'll get back to you with that information.

Hopefully this information will help someone. I took a broad picture for reference, then a close up of the measurement.

All are in inches.