View Full Version : Think you're fast at the track?

almost40
August 17th, 2010, 12:38 AM
I spent yet another weekend at the track enjoying myself.
What made this weekend so special?
Everyone who was riding advanced at Gingerman raceway found out how fast you have to ride a 600 to be a Pro AMA racer. We were all lucky enough to get passed by Jason Disalvo. He and his crew spent the weekend at the track, testing and refining the suspension on his 600.
Now I run a respectable 1:48 avg lap on the new lay-out (on my outdated but lots of fun FZ6) Instructors without slicks riding newer 600's run in the 1:44- 1:46 range and with slicks run 1:39-low 1:40's depending on mods and rider. Theres a "crew" called the Apex boys (we call them that) and they are the Go fast guys there at Gingerman. They run as fast, and in some cases faster than some of the instructors. It was amazing to watch them ALL get dusted off like novice riders by a PRO.
We were pitted right next to Disalvo and chatted with him a bit.(mostly about the awesome passes he made on all of us in my little group) Midway thru Sat he was running 1:31 and Im sure I heard his dad say something about low1:29's on Sunday. THATS FLAT FLYING.

He said the front forks on his bike were almost $10,000. $30,000 in the motor (race replica) and $20,000 for the frame. (total custom) The guy is riding a $100,000+ bike on the track with morons like me out there. lol

Needless to say That was by FAR the fastest 600 I have ever seen. He dusted off modded liter bikes down the straight like they were missing 2 sparkplug wires and the guy can ride like hes been doing it since he was 12.(duh, he was 12 when he started according to his dad) Disalvo is a great guy and friendly enough to spend time chatting with a guy who rides a Fugly FZ6 without being rude.

To sum it up, He can pass anywhere, anytime, anybody and thats all she wrote.
My favorite quote of the weekend is "DAMN THAT GUY WAS WICKED FAST". said by a fellow rider in advanced who didnt know who Disalvo was.

sharky nrk
August 17th, 2010, 06:13 AM
lol - no; I know I am slow. But I can definately appreciate the ability to be on the track with a pro and see the job done :thumbup:. Too bad pros don't ride in 'B' :o

CC Cowboy
August 17th, 2010, 09:56 AM
He said the front forks on his bike were almost $10,000. $30,000 in the motor (race replica) and $20,000 for the frame. (total custom) The guy is riding a $100,000+ bike on the track with morons like me out there. lol

To sum it up, He can pass anywhere, anytime, anybody and thats all she wrote.
My favorite quote of the weekend is "DAMN THAT GUY WAS WICKED FAST". said by a fellow rider in advanced who didnt know who Disalvo was.

There is such a BIG difference between a race bike and a modded bike you can't imagine.

There is such a BIG difference between a professional racer and a trackday rider, but now you can imagine.

Next time you see a Graves Ex-race bike for sale (I've seen them for cheap, kinda) you would not regret buying it. Not only will your lap times come way down, it is actually safer to ride, since it can handle the track so much better.