View Full Version : finally dropped bike, cracked mirror, options?

dimeified
August 18th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Finally in my second season of ownership i dropped my bike at zero mph. Serves me right after shaking my head when reading similar stories. Anyway i lucked out, i was holding the bike as much as i could as i dropped it, so the right side fairing didn't crack, and the exaust and everything else is ok. However, the glass on the mirror cracked right across, the housing is ok. How to I remedy this? The bike is fully insured. Do i go that route? Will my rates raise? Should i buy a mirror/housing off ebay? Order a new one from the dealer? Just bring the mirror to an autoglass place and have them replace the glass? What does everyone think?

backinthesaddleagain
August 18th, 2010, 09:33 AM
small item why go through insurance? see what a new mirror costs or have glass company put new glass over cracked one.

awesome_r6
August 18th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Dont even bother this with your insurance. Look on ebay or see your local glass shop to see if they can cut you a new piece.

RedCromwell
August 18th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Sorry to hear about the drop. Always makes me nervous "walking the bike".

Once after washing her I was walking her back into the garage and my wet feet slipped on the garage floor; almost dropped her.

Like others have posted probably better to just take the mirror to some glass shop and have them custom cut a replacement. I've done that to replace a side mirror on my car.

dimeified
August 18th, 2010, 10:53 AM
will they remove the old glass or just stick the new glass on with double sided tape? I would like to do this properly.

Ryosen11
August 18th, 2010, 11:09 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Ninja-250R-250-EX250-Right-RH-Mirror-OEM-08-10-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ190432649255QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

There were several other listings

RedCromwell
August 18th, 2010, 11:35 AM
will they remove the old glass or just stick the new glass on with double sided tape? I would like to do this properly.

Place I went to removed the old glass and glued in new.

Tofergstaff
August 18th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I cant imagine the stock mirrors to be all that expensive either... I mean probably run you about the same as having a glass place do it? Idk for me I think i would rather buy a brand new one instead because they people that have fixed my auto's around here are terrible at their job... "If you want something done right, do it yourself" right? :thumbup:

TrueFader
August 18th, 2010, 12:47 PM
dont need a right side mirror here, just put a bar end mirror on the left and take the other antennae off

dimeified
August 19th, 2010, 08:26 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Ninja-250R-250-EX250-Right-RH-Mirror-OEM-08-10-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ190432649255QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

There were several other listings

i saw that, thanks. even though it says new unopened, the picture shows it opened, and he says you get exactly whats pictured above, but then says no bolts, but the picture shows bolts. so i wrote an email to clarify that its an oem piece and the glass isn't blemished. hoping for a reply soon.

tinng321
August 19th, 2010, 08:30 AM
any scratches on the fairing?
don't you have deductible?
if you do i'm sure it will be way cheaper just to buy the mirror and call it lesson learned.

dimeified
August 19th, 2010, 08:41 AM
there were light small scratches on the fairing, nothing that bothers me. in the music scene we call those battle scars. gives the bike character

tinng321
August 19th, 2010, 08:46 AM
there were light small scratches on the fairing, nothing that bothers me. in the music scene we call those battle scars. gives the bike character

you can get it repainted for $70.

smcbride11
August 19th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I broke my mirror a couple years ago - the new OEM replacement cost $40 and took about 9 minutes of work to put it in... I wouldn't bother with having a glass company do it, even if it's a little cheaper; the stock replacement is simple.

dimeified
August 20th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Yea i got the one off ebay that sho linked. I talked to the seller, hes shipping it this morning. Thanks everyone!