View Full Version : Had my first fight with gravity :(

Sk8dude
August 19th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Well after about 600 miles on my new 2009 Ninja 250R (black) I finally had a fight with gravity that i lost. Pulled up to a stop sign that had a really steep incline. 3 way stop ( had to go left or right).

My first few attempts to get moving on the hill I didn't give it enough throttle and it died. The 4th or 5th attempt i gave it a bit more throttle and this time i was off and going only to my huge surprise with the front wheel off the ground. as it came down my grip just opened up the throttle more. For a sec I thought I had it under control again but with the extra throttle I ended up finding the ditch on the other side :-/

Luckily I wasn't going to fast when I feel. I ended up with scrape on my right forearm, and a bump on my left shin where I think it hit the pegs, as well as some bruising in my right calf where my leg was under the bike when it fell. Thank god for full gear!

My bike as it turns out took a bit more of a beating as you can sorta see in these pics from when i got it home.. mounting point where the front and side fairings meet busted through both of those fairings. I lost the right turn signal. and the rear break lever busted off from its mounting point taking part of the mount with it. few other minor scratches on the rear seat and the front wheel fender.

Got the bike upright and there were several people that stopped to ask if we needed help.. we let it sit for about 5min and we then managed to get it running. Engine just got flooded but once we burned off the extra fuel ran fine to get it home. I'll be taking it in to see how much it will be to fix the things that are a bit more major.

All in all it could have been much worse and defineatly a lesson learned. Steep Incline + tad to much throttle = good chance of a wheelie. the thought of a wheelie just didn't cross my mind, but now its on my radar. I could have probably reacted better and gone for the clutch to get away from that power but it happened so fast.

Glad that it was just my pride and some cosmetic damage to my bike, it could have been a lot worse.

edit:
In the last picture below is a quick diagram of the intersection. I pulled up to the circle in the red. the green circle is where i ended up. In hindsight i probobly should be been down where the white line was.. but I didn't like the fact i couldnt seen around the corner i was going, though back to the line wouldn't have been quite as steep to get moving

tinng321
August 19th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I'm glad you're ok.
Dang...another rider down.:(

FrugalNinja250
August 19th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Classic loss of throttle control. The habit of grabbing clutch whenever the throttle starts to scare you is a hard one to get ingrained. Imagine what would have happened if this had been on a 600.

I've found that on a incline I'll work the clutch while applying throttle with two fingers on the brake to control acceleration and keep me from rolling back. With a little practice this gets you to an easy to control situation on hills and such.

Glad you walked away.

Sk8dude
August 19th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Indeed, this is the main reason i went for a 250 for a first bike. Glad to be in one piece and have some things to practice once i get the bike fixed up again. I also shudder to think of the damages to myself if I hadn't been wearing all my gear. ATGATT. It is a learning experience that hopefully will prevent a similar thing to happen again in the future.

Talonne
August 19th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Ouch... I'm glad you had all the gear on!

Do you think you may have let the clutch out too quickly on takeoff?

Sk8dude
August 19th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Definite a possibility. Usually am pretty smooth at letting it out. I think the incline may have messed with my head and the thought of rolling back. Need to find a good place to practice starting from a stop on a steep incline so I know how to get moving without getting the front end off the ground in the future. Slight inclines usually don't bother me... as slipping the clutch will usually keep me from rolling. in that incline didn't so much.

Flashmonkey
August 19th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Brian, you're alive and in one piece and that's all that matters!

In the future, though, keep your foot on the rear brake as you fumble around with the clutch...it'll alleviate the associated pressure of having the bike rolling backwards on you. I find that helps with keeping panic and 'urgency' at bay. :D

But ya it's all mental dood...mennnttaalll *puts fingers up to temples*

Sk8dude
August 19th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Yeah so much of the motorcycle riding is mental. I think the biggest thing that helped mentally after the fall was the fact it was ridable to get home and i got right back on and got it home safely. Though even with that will probably rattle me for a while when i get into similar types of starts, until i can get some practice in a similar situation and know how to react.

And like you said the best thing is I wasn't hurt, Just need to get back on the horse and show it who's boss.

Flashmonkey
August 19th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Exactly...it'll be tough not to develop a phobia of hills after this, though. Best thing to do is go find one immediately and try it again. Being calm at the controls is the key, though, so do whatever you have to do to stay on top of yourself.

Use the brakes and the clutch anyway you have to as well...don't be shy. ;)

bob706
August 19th, 2010, 09:58 AM
In the future, though, keep your foot on the rear brake as you fumble around with the clutch...it'll alleviate the associated pressure of having the bike rolling backwards on you.

+1

TrueFader
August 19th, 2010, 10:16 AM
have you tried rear brake on inclines? keeps you from rolling back and allows you to find the right balance of clutch and throttle. you can adjust your throttle to give you the pull you desire but the rear brake will keep you put until you release it.

Sk8dude
August 19th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Very good point, Thanks so much to everyone with their pointers. I look forward to getting to practice this stuff once i get my bike fixed up :). If it's one thing I've learned from this is the fact that I don't know everything and there is always something new to learn to prevent the same mistakes again.

demp
August 19th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Sorry to see another ninja all scraped up =( those plastics aren't cheap, just keep practicing with that clutch and you'll get it, you basically have to use both hands to adjust your speed on a hill like that, but this has all been said, good luck on cleaning her up!

Flashmonkey
August 19th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Since buying new fairings or getting scratched up fairings can be an expensive and painful process, I'd like to present everyone with an alternative option:

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v248/157/109/513112941/n513112941_829003_9452.jpg

Woot...stick gixxer! I believe this bike started out as a project, and the guy who originally owned it started off by asking people to donate stickers to him. Donated stickers are free :D

Rosie
August 19th, 2010, 11:14 AM
First of all, glad you're ok!! :thumbup:

You sure gave me something to think about. I have a very steep incline myself to get back home, and also have a stop sign right when it starts getting steep. So far so good, but then again I never thought of the possibility of a wheelie (darn inexperience!!)! So now on whenever I get to that stop sign, I'll make sure not to give too much throttle to my Ninja.. certainly not up for a wheelie yet! By the way, I always use the back break to get the bike not to roll back and then play with clutch/throttle to get it going, I think that works the best, I don't even consider the front break in that situation ;)

Sk8dude
August 19th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah wheelie hadn't even crossed my mind either before that. From what my dad said it was pretty spectacular up until i lost control and found the ditch. He got a front row seat as he was in his Honda Shadow right behind me. Definatly will take a while before i'm comfortable starting on an incline again, but want to get out there in a safe place and practice it as soon as I can.

noche_caliente
August 19th, 2010, 11:23 AM
sounds all too familiar
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12123
glad you're ok!
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24584
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52346

KJohnson21
August 19th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Glad you're OK!

Thanks for including a picture of the turn/intersection. That's not the usual layout! If I was you I'd probably use only the left side of that lane regardless of if I was turning right or left. That way you wouldn't have to use the steepest and most awkward part. Drive around the problem instead of through it.

Hope she cleans up OK!!

GeneJunkie
August 19th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I deal with a similar hill every single day on my way onto campus. I knew when I got the bike I would have to deal with it, just never knew how much of a devil it is. The first time I encountered it I stalled, and kept stalling for about 5 minutes, luckily Ryan was there. This was on the weekend when I expected no one would be using campus roads but it turns out that a couple cars wanted to go that way and had an ass of a pickup blast his horn at me when I was obviously struggling and stalled out.

In the future, though, keep your foot on the rear brake as you fumble around with the clutch...it'll alleviate the associated pressure of having the bike rolling backwards on you. I find that helps with keeping panic and 'urgency' at bay. :D

That is exactly what I do. I actually found similar steep hills in a parking lot on campus and practiced for about 2 weeks stopping on the hill, then going. I tried with the front brake but my hands are too small and I couldn't give enough throttle and hold the front brake at the same time. I find using the rear break helps a ton, you get stability with 1 foot down and can concentrate fully on throttle/clutch control. I still stall out at that intersection sometimes just because it's just a sharp incline on a right hand turn.

I'm glad you're ok, I hate hills :mad:

CC Cowboy
August 19th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Brian, I hate to tell you but I'm sitting here laughing my ass off imaginning how it looked. Stuff like this is priceless when caught on video.

Sorry about your bike. This never happens to green bikes.

demp
August 19th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Brian, I hate to tell you but I'm sitting here laughing my ass off imaginning how it looked. Stuff like this is priceless when caught on video.

Sorry about your bike. This never happens to green bikes.

to be honest I was chuckling when he mentioned his dad was behind him watching :o (don't worry I know the pain of having your bike look like that:D)

RedCromwell
August 19th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Glad you're alright. A wheelie?! That would've freaked me out. I probably would've been screaming through the entire thing until I crashed into the ditch.

I too am glad to start out on a 250... very forgiving for all the noob mistakes I've made.

Cab305
August 19th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I think you are just a natural born stunter and couldn't help doing a wheelie.

.... glad you are ok.

Cab305
August 19th, 2010, 08:20 PM
By the way. I think that sticker bike looks awesome.

Dano
August 19th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I always forget how many new riders there are on here as our bikes are great for new riders. Glad you are all right and the bike can be fixed. Like someone else said practice with the friction zone and I am jealous I haven't been able to wheelie my bike at all, not enough power and I am too old and experienced to go popping the clutch, damn I miss the 650s wheelie power.

welcome2thedawn
August 19th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Brian, you're alive and in one piece and that's all that matters!

But ya it's all mental dood...mennnttaalll *puts fingers up to temples*

this...........i used to feel really panicky taking off on a steep incline...especially being somewhat short, so i can't really dig my feet into the ground to hold the bike well on an incline

edit...oh, i just noticed you are in portland....have you ever gotten off I5 north, at the ross island bridge exit, to go across the bridge, and you have to loop back around, merge to the right, and then take a right up that super steep hill with a stop sign at the top? there is always stop and go traffic going up that hill, and they all think they should stay right on your ass...or the steep hill going up woodstock, passing 39th? when i was learning stick, i would either go super slow to try and avoid stopping, or if i saw a green light, i would gas it to get through...kinda funny looking back, but i would get so much anxiety on that hill :lol:

Minnesotah
August 19th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Hey sk8dude this looks like your where down around bald peak is that correct? There are some nasty corners up there you gotta watch out for.

Sk8dude
August 19th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Minnesotah:
yeah was coming up from Laurelwood on to Bald Peak and was hoping to head up and over to 219 and back up into Beaverton. done Bald Peak a number of times. just hadn't hit it from that direction before. Fun road to ride. Was sort pissed that I didn't get to ride the fun section. Ended up just going down the hill the easy way and back home.

welcome2thedawn:
Yeah i know that exit never taken it on the bike though.

Minnesotah
August 19th, 2010, 09:53 PM
this...........i used to feel really panicky taking off on a steep incline...especially being somewhat short, so i can't really dig my feet into the ground to hold the bike well on an incline

edit...oh, i just noticed you are in portland....have you ever gotten off I5 north, at the ross island bridge exit, to go across the bridge, and you have to loop back around, merge to the right, and then take a right up that super steep hill with a stop sign at the top? there is always stop and go traffic going up that hill, and they all think they should stay right on your ass...or the steep hill going up woodstock, passing 39th? when i was learning stick, i would either go super slow to try and avoid stopping, or if i saw a green light, i would gas it to get through...kinda funny looking back, but i would get so much anxiety on that hill :lol:

There is a trick to this actually, Two exits before the ross island bridge exit you can cross above the free way on drop down onto Powell from up there and avoid that crap.

Minnesotah
August 19th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Minnesotah:
yeah was coming up from Laurelwood on to Bald Peak and was hoping to head up and over to 219 and back up into Beaverton. done Bald Peak a number of times. just hadn't hit it from that direction before. Fun road to ride. Was sort pissed that I didn't get to ride the fun section. Ended up just going down the hill the easy way and back home.

welcome2thedawn:
Yeah i know that exit never taken it on the bike though.

Well if you ever want to ride hit me up for sure. Ill pm my number

Sk8dude
August 24th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Well just got the bad news from the dealership.. they quoted me 2500$ for parts + labor. Again i think they listed any part that got any sort of scratches on it, not just the pieces that "need" replacing. at that price tag, makes it a tough call to report to insurance as there is a good chance they may total it.

based on the parts list and what i remember of the damaged sections of the bike i think there is maybe 500-700$ in parts that would be nice to get replaced and not fix the parts that are just scratched up. And really only about 200$ that are mechanically needing fixing to be able to ride.

Flashmonkey
August 24th, 2010, 01:20 PM
If the frame isn't dented, and the engine isn't damaged, I highly recommend doing those fixes yourself. You'll save thousands of dollars.....

Sk8dude
August 24th, 2010, 01:51 PM
from the list of parts , doesn't sound the frame is dented at all... Defineatly don't want to pay 2500$ or risk turning it into insurance and then they total it out. Espcially since the main parts needed to function are still in working order.

FrugalNinja250
August 24th, 2010, 01:52 PM
They likely won't total it, or you could elect to have a few things not repaired to get the claim cost down. Remember, you choose how much to repair/replace, not the insurance co. But a bigger consideration is what will happen to your rates with a claim. When someone else causes the wreck the insurance co goes after the other party, but in a single-party wreck like this they will likely raise your rates significantly.

As an alternative, you can elect to effect repairs on your own and not file a claim (I highly recommend this course of action), sourcing good used parts over time and fixing it yourself. Not only will you save money (increased rates) you'll also learn how to fix your bike when you wreck it again. There's always an "again" for most riders.

Remember, "totaled" is an insurance company construct based purely on replacement/repair costs, and has nothing to do with actual bike repairability.

Sk8dude
August 24th, 2010, 01:56 PM
very true, and well said. In the process of getting the parts list whittled down to just the absolute needed items for it to be a safe bike to ride and then maybe fix the rest of the stuff overtime. most of the pieces that are just scratched I probably wouldn't bother fixing in the first place.

Flashmonkey
August 24th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I'm with frugal.....if you can avoid going through insurance at all, then that's the best course of action haha.

jae.trini
August 25th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Welp, as you mentioned it could have been a lot worse. Thank God damage was minimal. Thanks for sharing your experience. It will definitely help us all if we find ourselves in that same situation.

ally99
August 25th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Dang gravity...always bringing you down! :faint2: