View Full Version : Off Topic

austexjg
August 26th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Is there any way to remove new postings in the "Off Topic" from showing up on the Portal Page?

It seems like this place has turned into a "tween girls sleepover" versus a place to discuss the Ninja 250 and related topics. I could care less about most of the stupid topics discussed or questions asked in this section. It seems like the only activity is in that section - a recent explosion.

Am I the only one that feels this way? :blah: :hitself:

Alex
August 26th, 2010, 04:06 PM
It's a phase. It'll pass. :) To see more of what you do want and less of what you don't want, try the Unread Posts link on the forums page, or even the New Posts link. It'll show 25 threads rather than the 10 on the Portal page, so can find more non-off-topic content to browse as you'd want.

Awhile back I used to run an add-on that would allow people to customize which forums they didn't want to show up when they hit the new posts or unread posts button. The add-on was a little buggy, and it turned out 1 out of 100 users max every used it anyway. So I hardcoded those searches to exclude the "moto-news" section, and that was it. More reliable, does what 99 out of 100 (or more) users were interested in doing anyway, and didn't require any handholding by me on software updates of the forum software.

Turns out that off-topic is often one of the busiest sections in online forums, no matter what the subject matter of the forum itself, and ninjette.org is no different. At least it's not the busiest forum area, and comes in third behind "General Motorcycle Discussion" and the new-gen Tech Talk forum.

Blackwidow
August 26th, 2010, 04:13 PM
then don't click on it, and if by chance you do...its quit easy to get out of. I'm taking it personally because I have been one of the individuals starting the threads that you may think are stupid. I'm being respectful enough to keep it in the OFF TOPIC section!! Try to be respectful yourself by not critisizing people that actually want to get to know each other and hear each others opinions.

addy126
August 26th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Not to mention the "dick talk" and "berries are being squashed by the tank" etc etc.... do you hear us complain.......... no...... just don't enter segments you don't want to bother with, much like I do without b****in about it.

austexjg
August 26th, 2010, 04:24 PM
So getting to know each other includes sexual desires, practices, and how we keep our pubic hair? Go to Facebook or Myspace for that kind of "Getting to know you...".

And, yes Paulette, you have made this place a "Tween Slumber Party", since you take offense anyway. Gossip, idle talk, and loose lips are the downfall of most females.

The reason is above......

Snake
August 26th, 2010, 04:29 PM
+1 Way to go ladies. The minority of the people want to rule over the majority just because they get offended instead of just tuning it out and going about their own business. A very small majority caused a rescent thread to be locked and thats not right.

ok, rant over

Blackwidow
August 26th, 2010, 04:33 PM
well i really do apologize you feel that way JG... it was all in fun and to get people to talk. And it seems that has worked for the most part. Its unfortunate that grumpy people like you always have to throw their weight around and kill it for the ones that actually participate. Again, if you don't like it then i'm sorry... but you don't have to view it or post in it. just stay away from it and continue talking about motorcycles till your face turns blue.

addy126
So getting to know each other includes sexual desires, practices, and how we keep our pubic hair? Go to Facebook or Myspace for that kind of "Getting to know you...".

And, yes Paulette, you have made this place a "Tween Slumber Party", since you take offense anyway. Gossip, idle talk, and loose lips are the downfall of most females.

The reason is above......

This is definately one person I do not want to get to know.... here or facebook/my space.... etc. etc. Sounds like a serial woman hater... :eek:

austexjg
+1 Way to go ladies. The minority of the people want to rule over the majority just because they get offended instead of just tuning it out and going about their own business. A very small majority caused a rescent thread to be locked and thats not right.

ok, rant over

Trying to rule.... :violin:

austexjg
August 26th, 2010, 04:35 PM
:confused20:This is definately one person I do not want to get to know.... here or facebook/my space.... etc. etc. Sounds like a serial woman hater... :eek:

A woman hater because I don't care about your personal/sexual desires? Trust me, I love women, but respect them more.

dubojr1
August 26th, 2010, 05:13 PM

Appears that way...

ally99
August 26th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Is there any way to remove new postings in the "Off Topic" from showing up on the Portal Page?
It seems like this place has turned into a "tween girls sleepover" versus a place to discuss the Ninja 250 and related topics. I could care less about most of the stupid topics discussed or questions asked in this section. It seems like the only activity is in that section - a recent explosion.

Dude, lighten up and have some fun. I'm a woman and feel absolutely NO disrespect in regards to the recent posts. It's all in good fun. You might consider trying it some time! :rolleyes:

Yes.

BlueRaven
August 26th, 2010, 05:25 PM
If you choose to not see any "Off Topic" threads all you have to do is go to the "Forum" page and choose whatever categories you prefer to see threads on. Just don't choose "View New Post". Simple.

bob706
August 26th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Am I the only one that feels this way?

No. Just skip over them.

sombo
August 26th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Well, I wasn't going to pipe at first but decided to anyway.

JG, if you're not interested in any of those topics then just skip over them like I do. I have no real interest in quite a few topics that come up. So as a mature adult, instead of trying to force others to talk about what I want to talk about and not what they want to talk about, I just simply ignore those threads. This way they get to have fun their way and I can just go about my business and have my fun in the threads I do like.

It's part of growing up and being a mature adult. You can't make people be like you, so stop trying. All you can do is find your fun factor, enjoy it, and leave others to enjoy their fun factor. To do otherwise is not only immature but also very rude. Not everyone has fun the same way, or interacts with others the same way.

Forums are a place of social interaction in sort of virtual world. They typically use a theme to draw in people of similar interests. This doesn't mean that it's strictly an information board about that particular theme. Forums that try that strict of posting restrictions never make it long. This is because of the social aspect side where people want to just share. Share what? Anything and everything. With who? With people of similar interests and taste. It's part of being in a social circle no matter what it is or where you go. You can't escape it and it's pointless to try.

ally99
August 26th, 2010, 06:42 PM
:whathesaid:

Mike,
You are so cool. Incredibly mature explanation there. :-)

Rosie
August 26th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Well, I wasn't going to pipe at first but decided to anyway.

JG, if you're not interested in any of those topics then just skip over them like I do. I have no real interest in quite a few topics that come up. So as a mature adult, instead of trying to force others to talk about what I want to talk about and not what they want to talk about, I just simply ignore those threads. This way they get to have fun their way and I can just go about my business and have my fun in the threads I do like.

It's part of growing up and being a mature adult. You can't make people be like you, so stop trying. All you can do is find your fun factor, enjoy it, and leave others to enjoy their fun factor. To do otherwise is not only immature but also very rude. Not everyone has fun the same way, or interacts with others the same way.

Forums are a place of social interaction in sort of virtual world. They typically use a theme to draw in people of similar interests. This doesn't mean that it's strictly an information board about that particular theme. Forums that try that strict of posting restrictions never make it long. This is because of the social aspect side where people want to just share. Share what? Anything and everything. With who? With people of similar interests and taste. It's part of being in a social circle no matter what it is or where you go. You can't escape it and it's pointless to try.

Well said. I don't participate in most of those threads either, yet I don't feel bothered by them in any way. Just ignore what you don't like and move on :)

rockNroll
August 29th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I find myself caught in the middle on this one... I think more pictures in them threads would move me more to the "for" side :thumbup:

FrugalNinja250
August 30th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I used the ignore function, only once so far, but it helps. I wish the ignore function would also hide topics, but oh well.

Alex
August 30th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I was wondering why you were ignoring my posts! :)

FrugalNinja250
August 30th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Har....

Nah, not ignoring your posts. Maybe not reading them, but that's an entirely different matter... :)

Alex
August 30th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I can't hear you, I have you on ignore. ;)

demp
September 1st, 2010, 04:26 AM
Appears that way...

+1 A lot of those topics don't appeal to me either, but I'm kinda glad to see everyone discussing a little more than just their bikes. Jeeze I'm starting to sound like the gf.... :rolleyes: