View Full Version : Impression after 1200 Miles

Sailariel
August 24th, 2008, 03:30 PM
My general impression is that the Ninja 250R is a terrific machine. It performs exceptionally well, handles well, and is built to a high standard of quality. The only shortcoming that I have found (Have E-Mailed Kawasaki) is that the stock rear view mirrors are useless. In order to use them, you must move your forearm inboard so that you can see traffic behind you. On a performance sportbike a quick glance without any movement should suffice. The problem can be solved two ways: 1) You can take off the fairing mirrors and plug the hole with a decorative cap and then install stalk mirrors on the handlebars--cost: about $40.00. 2) You can order aftermarket fairing mirrors with a longer stalk--mirrors for the larger Ninja. Cost: about $70.00. I chose option #2 and plan to install the new mirrors when they arrive tihs Tuesday. In either case some fairing removal will be necessary and the job will be time consuming. It would be costly if you had to pay a mechanic. Since I am a mechanic, (Bicycle Mechanic) I plan to do the job myself. I`ll keep you posted.

Alex
August 24th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I tend to agree with you, but the sad fact is that the mirrors on the 2008 250R are as good and as wide as the mirrors on just about every sportbike out there today. In fact, they are wider and more useful than the ones on the Ninjette's big brother, the ZX-10R. People riding these bikes get used to just moving their forearm a smidge when doing mirror checks.

If you want to see some truly useless mirrors, sit on a new Ducati 1098 (or even an older 999). The mirrors don't even show your arms, they barely get a view around anyone's torso.

Sailariel
August 25th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Alex, You are right. The mirrors on most sport bikes are totally inadequate. I plan to change that. We are not talking about a major change--a few cetimeters outboard would solve the problem and would not detract from the appearance of the bike. I build bicycles, and the majority are road racing machines. My bikes have superlight teardrop shaped mirrors in the bar ends. the mirrors weigh again as much as the bar end plugs they replace. I have converted many a die in the wool racer. Since the 250 Ninja is perfectly interstate highway capable, it should have a mirror system at least as good as a touring bike. My Norton had mirrors mounted low on the fairing which worked fine and looked good as well. I may explore that route on my Ninja. Will keep you posted on this project.

JCCJMM_
August 25th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Yes, mirrors are an issue. I am looking in to the Bikemaster convex stick- ons. I have heard good things about them.

I guess in reality though, it is always safer to head check.

Alex
August 25th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Alex, You are right. The mirrors on most sport bikes are totally inadequate. I plan to change that.

One thing to keep in mind is that the mirrors need to stay in place at the top speed of the vehicle. Which isn't much of an issue on a 250R that will hit a true 100 mph only with a good tailwind. But on a sportbike that has to be electronically limited to 186 mph, the force of the wind pushing those mirrors back is astronomical. Putting them an inch or two further outward does have design ramifications, and the stalk may need to be significantly stronger and heavier, and the mounting base may need to be upgraded as well. That's a key reason why they aren't sticking out in the breeze further on sportbikes, and the ninjette copying that styling now has a similar limitation.

Sailariel
August 27th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I installed the mirrors--Part#0640-0380 Left and 0640-0381 Right from Parts Unlimited. These mirrors are made for the Kawasaki ZX6R and fit the stock mounts on the 2008 Ninja EX250R. They are not cheap at $32.00 each, and when you add 5% sales tax, you are up to $67.00. I do, however, feel that it was a good investment. I no longer get a great view of my arms. These mirrors are just slightly larger and stick out an inch farther than the stock. In aesthetic appearance a person can`t tell that they are not OEM. Aerodynamically, I would seriously doubt that they would change anything. I did have that possibility in mind when I ordered them. Aerodynamics is something I am very cognizant of since I do Time Trials on a bicycle and build road racing bikes. Weight is also a consideration. Incidentally, these mirrors weigh less than the OEM.

Alex
August 27th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Good job! Can you post up a picture of what your bike looks like with the new mirrors? I'd venture a number of folks will be interested if it does make the them more usable without hurting the aesthetics of the bike.

Sailariel
August 27th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Alex, One of these days I will have to join the 21st Cenury and get a digital camera. When my father in law gets back from CA in two weeks, I`ll do a photospread of my Lime Green Ninja. It feels good to be into motorcycles again I have been gone since 1982. Actually I am glad that this bike has carbs--when my shop manual comes in,I should be able to do all my own service. I thought that my Norton handled quite well. This little Ninja is an absolute terror on winding roads. It`s quite a rush when you go around a curve and your knee is a few inches from the pavement and there is no sense of traction loss. The thing corners like it is on rails.

Sailariel
November 2nd, 2008, 04:04 PM
As you can see, I have done some riding since I got the bike in June. There is no question in my mind that this is the hottest 250 on the market (that holds true for all of the 250 Ninjas beginning in 1986) I am surprised that the motorcycling press has not discovered this little jewel until recently. Pick up any publication and you see rave reviews. There does not seem to be anything in the offing that can compete with this bike. Unlike the Honda Rebel which gets traded for something bigger in short order--tne Ninja seems to enjoy a longer period of ownership. My initial research also shows that Kawasaki buyers seem to buy Kawasaki again. I think that I have found my ideal bike. With a little tweaking, it will be perfect.

Ninja007
December 21st, 2008, 04:52 PM
yes, any pics you could get of the new mirrors would be awesome! cheers!

CRXTrek
December 21st, 2008, 05:35 PM
yes, any pics you could get of the new mirrors would be awesome! cheers!
:whathesaid:

g21-30
December 21st, 2008, 05:47 PM
I installed the mirrors--Part#0640-0380 Left and 0640-0381 Right from Parts Unlimited. These mirrors are made for the Kawasaki ZX6R and fit the stock mounts on the 2008 Ninja EX250R. They are not cheap at $32.00 each, and when you add 5% sales tax, you are up to $67.00. I do, however, feel that it was a good investment. I no longer get a great view of my arms. These mirrors are just slightly larger and stick out an inch farther than the stock. In aesthetic appearance a person can`t tell that they are not OEM. Aerodynamically, I would seriously doubt that they would change anything. I did have that possibility in mind when I ordered them. Aerodynamics is something I am very cognizant of since I do Time Trials on a bicycle and build road racing bikes. Weight is also a consideration. Incidentally, these mirrors weigh less than the OEM.

How about a direct link to where you ordered these? I'm getting bad part numbers supplied.

Thanks

CRXTrek
December 21st, 2008, 05:55 PM
I see these for ZX-6r
i don't know if these are what he talked about
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=393233&store=&catId=4&productId=p393233&leafCatId=&mmyId=9900081#fitment

Sailariel
December 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
The mirrors I got came from Parts Unlimited. I also added stick on adjustable blind spotmirrors from Wal-at the cost of $1.99

Ken
April 2nd, 2009, 01:01 PM
Alex,

Thanks for the tip on the mirrors. I just ordered a pair. Hope to install these soon.

Cali619
April 2nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
Has anyone tried using just bar end mirrors and removing the ones from the front cowl completly? Preferably smallest ones available to still have the room to split lanes....

Bill N
April 2nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
I agree the mirrors are not adequate and cause me concern when driving in traffic, especially when stopping at an intersection when the light changes. I stuck a $1 Kmart fish eye mirror on the right side and it helps a little bit.
I also agree with the original post that this is a well made capable motorcycle. Its overall package of great looks, functiionality, and fun factor are amazing. Combine this with fuel efficiency and Kawa has developed a winner. I have long term ambitions for my 250 and plan to keep it for many years.
Bill

komohana
April 2nd, 2009, 02:33 PM
Has anyone tried using just bar end mirrors and removing the ones from the front cowl completly? Preferably smallest ones available to still have the room to split lanes....

you know i don't think i've ever seen any bar-end mirrors for these. but will look when i get home.

chess
April 13th, 2009, 07:34 PM
This is the ONE thing that I'm missing about my Virago since I "upgraded" to the Ninjette. The Virago has round stalk mirrors that are out wide, and with a pair of round stick-on convex mirrors, I had 360 degree visibility at all times. Now, I'm fully blind to what's directly behind be and only marginally trust my view to the sides.

I got another pair of the bigger stick-ons, but they are just a bit too tall to fit on the mirror. The small ones are too small. The squarish ones work reasonably well, but look like ass.

I'd gladly give up a bit on aesthetics for a little peace of mind.