View Full Version : New Here (San Diego) + Pics

lemmiwinkz
August 25th, 2008, 02:59 PM
hi there! Just joined this forum a couple minutes ago and decided to post up some pics of my wonderful ride.

Short background of me: I'm a graduate student at SDSU who started riding a few months ago. After lots of research, MSF course, etc. I decided that the best ride for me would be the 08 250. So far it seems like I made the right choice and am very happy with my ride!

mods:
-bikelitez led front turn signals
-bikelitez ss no cut fender eliminator+led blinkers

in box waiting to be opened:
-corbin seat (weee)

thanks everyone, i hope to get to know all of you!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/moneybagsjose/img_0979.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/moneybagsjose/img_0970.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/moneybagsjose/img_0977.jpg

Alex
August 25th, 2008, 03:16 PM
:welcome: lemmiwinkz!

Nice pics of your bike! Please post up when you get the Corbin put on; I'd be very interested to hear if it makes the bike more comfortable for you. I've popped your pics up into the forum gallery (info here (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=701)).

JCCJMM_
August 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Awesome ride!
I really dig the Kawasaki green!
Welcome to the forum.

dw8
August 26th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Welcome! Love the green.

247Blackout
August 26th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Nice bike! I lived in San Diego when I went to UCSD. Started riding in college too, great roads especially the ones that leads you to some pie in Julian!. Be sure to check out www.hypercycles.org for the San Diego riding community.

FlamingYellowInsanity
August 27th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Dude! I'm diggin' it!!! Nice ride! I love the new 08's, especially in green! :D

Welcome to the forum!

Travis

lemmiwinkz
August 28th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! i'm very happy to have joined such a cool community.

Blackout, thanks so much for the link, that's exactly what I was looking for!

I will get some pics up with the corbin on! the ride from bakersfield to san diego left me hurting, so I'll let you know the comfort changes the seat brings.

buffnymo
September 2nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the pics of your mod's. Do you have any web links for the front signals and fender elimination kit? I'm looking to do both of these mod's myself but am still shopping. I can't find any flush mount signals that will work with the 08. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

SV-Mark
September 3rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Nice 08... Lucky!!.. My current 250 is a black one, I tried to find a green one, but no luck and then this low milage 07 turned up and the rest is how they say... history, Those 08s are sure nice

Now about that fender eliminator... Ok someone has to be the old fuddy duddy here. The police will not like it, I bought a used bike that had the same set up a few years ago, While I must admit it is the best looking way to tidy up the rear, you don't want to be on the side of the road trying to talk your way out of a speeding ticket while you are displaying a minor case of "hide the license plate"

Occasionaly the CHP or local sheriff's deputy will un-officially "inspect" the bikes at Alices on the weekends, looking for equipment violations, exhaust, turn signals mirrors etc. A Fascist/Nazi tactic employed to cut down on the fun factor of motorcycling, while the law pertaining to license plate placement is vague and unclear, I prefer not to argue with "The Man" over these minor issues, preferring to save my tickets for "truly evil speed crime"*

I think your bike looks great and if you ever find yourself this far north, it would be pleasure to show you some of the local roads.

Enjoy the Ride, Mark

**courtesy of BB

dw8
September 4th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Seeing how you live in the "country" of California, the rest of us don't really have a problem with eliminating the rear fender. I do believe there is a right and a wrong way to do it. For instance, Lemmiwinks is done wrong. Once he sits on the bike, the plate disappears. Not too mention there is no light shining on it at night. He's just begging to get pulled over. I've seen many of 08's that have the plate up under the taillight that look great. I've got the fender eliminated on my 07. The only thing I don't have are red side reflectors.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w160/focusw8/Ninja/DCP_3798.jpg

Alex
September 4th, 2008, 09:56 AM
The rear end of the 08 is a bit stiffer than the 1st gen, and there is much more open space up above the rear tire to begin with, so it's possible that his plate does not sink below the tire, and is still somewhat visible from the rear. The laws are pretty vague, and it is up to the LEO's discretion about whether the plate is visible enough, but the lack of a license plate light isn't vague; that's pretty cut and dried. That said, I didn't have a license plate light on several of my bikes with fender eliminators and have never had an issue. The 1st-gen 250 does have that neat feature where you can pull off that part at the bottom of the rear brake light for a makeshift license plate light; AFAIK that isn't possible on the 2nd-gen.

dw8
September 4th, 2008, 11:28 AM
True, it isn't possible to make the light like on the 1st gen. But the wiring for the light is there. He just didn't want to use it. His bike doesn't have to drop very far down to put that plate at an unreadable angle. But to each their own. :thumbup:

SV-Mark
September 4th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Dan, your fender job looks great, I don't think you will have a problem anywhere with that setup, I have removed the red reflectors on my "other" bike because it looks to be an afterthought thrown on on it's way out of the factory.

I am going to leave my rear end alone on my 250 not because I am an old geezer (somewhat) but rather looking at resale value when I finally get a next generation bike, I avoid bikes with "farkles" when shopping for something used, "no sir, my wife just drove it to church on Sundays" that's my sales pitch

Mark

dw8
September 4th, 2008, 01:26 PM
That is why I have a spare stock rear fender hanging on the wall. ;)

Alex
September 4th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I am going to leave my rear end alone on my 250 not because I am an old geezer (somewhat) but rather looking at resale value when I finally get a next generation bike, I avoid bikes with "farkles" when shopping for something used, "no sir, my wife just drove it to church on Sundays" that's my sales pitch

Not a bad idea in general, but not necessary with a Ninjette. If priced correctly, it will sell in hours regardless of whether there is a fender chop or not. And it would be a rare buyer who would pay extra (even $100) if the fender is stock. We're blessed with a bike with tremendous resale value that is easy as pie to sell quickly, pretty much no matter how it has been taken care of...

I had a similar kit on our 2004 Ninjette:

http://aciurczak.smugmug.com/photos/365708043_iqVQt-M-1.jpg

JCCJMM_
September 4th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Here is a shot of my bike's rear end.:)

I just trimmed the fender down a bit with my cordless dremel.
Finished it out by sanding it smooth and painting the edges.

I have since put some 3M Reflexlite tape on the back to serve as reflectors.

SV-Mark
September 5th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Good point Alex, I almost overlooked the bobbed fender of a green one I was looking at, It's the green I tell ya, it makes me do crazy stuff:)

SV-Mark
September 5th, 2008, 08:28 AM
That is why I have a spare stock rear fender hanging on the wall. ;)

Touche' :o

dw8
September 5th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Touche' :o

:fencing: :laugh:

Sailariel
October 10th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I took the square reflector off the bottom of the fender and replaced it with a quick flashing red LED with six LEDs. It takes two AA batteries with a runtime of 300 hours. They are made by Blackburn and are made for bicycles. Was cruising on Coastal Rte#1 in broad daylight when I heard a police siren yelp behind me. I pulled over and started going for my license, registration, and insurance card, when the trooper said, "Didn`t mean to scare you, but where did you get that great light? I saw you two miles away." Turns out he has a red 08 Ninjette. He really wanted a green one like mine. He has since put one of those lights on his. I have also mounted two driving lights on the front of my Ninjette. I want to show a white triangle forward so that I am not mistaken for a "one eyed car" The LED driving lights are 20W each and only use 1W of power. They also are also less prone to failure due to vibration than halogen lamps--even though halogen lamps are brighter. My experience from riding about 4000 miles a year on a road racing bicycle is that one needs to take every opportunity available to be seen. An aside: My road racer is worth $1500.00 more than my Ninjette.

watcanido
January 31st, 2009, 02:41 PM
Welcome! Nice bike dude! was it hard to install? did you put in resistors front and back lights? and where did you mount them? close up pics please...

CRXTrek
January 31st, 2009, 08:09 PM
True, it isn't possible to make the light like on the 1st gen. But the wiring for the light is there. He just didn't want to use it. His bike doesn't have to drop very far down to put that plate at an unreadable angle. But to each their own. :thumbup:

Although i wouldn't want this plate kit, it does have a plate light and sigs. included. They are on this bike . just hard to see.

VeX
January 31st, 2009, 11:20 PM
I was literally just saying, "Oh cool, a new guy in San Diego!"... Then I looked at the OP's post dates :P

kkim
January 31st, 2009, 11:26 PM
did you see there's another member in your area on the member's map? :)

VeX
February 1st, 2009, 02:17 AM
Well yes and no... He's NOT a new member, I was pointing out that this thread wasn't made recently it was made like 6 months ago. Furthermore he hasn't signed ON since August, 2008 :p Might explain why he's not on the member map ;)

HKr1
February 1st, 2009, 04:51 PM
SAN DIEGO SUCKS!

Just kiding :boink: Welcome :) Wish I could still call SD home ;)

Snake
May 23rd, 2010, 07:18 AM
Hello and welcome.

CZroe
May 23rd, 2010, 10:48 AM
... For instance, Lemmiwinks is done wrong. Once he sits on the bike, the plate disappears. Not too mention there is no light shining on it at night...

I see a notch in the center of the turn signal bar which I'm pretty sure is a built-in plate light. It makes sense for such a thing to include, it looks like it does, and it's not like he couldn't connect the plate light just as easily as the signals beside it, so why assume he didn't?

Granted, this is so old that neither of you appear to be around anymore, but I still want to point out the assumption.

noche_caliente
May 23rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
welcome Jose!

CZroe
May 23rd, 2010, 03:29 PM
welcome Jose!

Note: August 25th, 2008, last sign in was 2008. I think we should be bidding him adieu. :(

Godzilla35
September 27th, 2010, 03:03 PM
welcome man! word to another SD rider...
yes this a thread jack but i'm desperate!

HELP! yes, I'm spamming everyone from SD because I need help...
I finally found a ninja that I can afford, but I don't have a way to transport it.
I just passed my MSF so no license to ride it yet because it's in the mail and the seller has it registered as non-op...

If anyone could help me out, please email me asap kyug35@gmail.com with your number.
I need a truck with ramps / straps.. I'll pay you in gas + beer.
Chula Vista to Carmel Valley area....