View Full Version : Sometimes life just sucks...

AndyRavag3
September 10th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Saw this floating around YT, not sure if it has been posted.. sorry if it has!!!

vVcE_K6Ufgw

Scary stuff

bob706
September 10th, 2010, 06:31 PM
wow :eek: that would most certainly suck bad

jApOrMs
September 10th, 2010, 06:32 PM
this sucks even more
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=141334252573507

00NissanNinja
September 10th, 2010, 07:06 PM
:eek:Another example of s*** happens. That is pretty horrible

bob706
September 10th, 2010, 07:09 PM
this sucks even more
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=141334252573507

did not need to see that:puke:

sombo
September 10th, 2010, 08:54 PM
But I thought all accidents could be avoided?

Here's another good example of $h!t happens.

G0eootaHR0Q

BIGT94z
September 10th, 2010, 09:02 PM
what did that civic do lock up his back brake with the e-brake or what!?

sombo
September 10th, 2010, 09:19 PM
That's the theory most have. Seems the most probable.

00NissanNinja
September 10th, 2010, 10:00 PM
That's the theory most have. Seems the most probable.

Wow I watched her interview happy she made it out without extremely serious injuries. I agree with the locking of the rear, it is common for a FF car to swing out like that if you lock the rear and give a slight steering input while braking hard. Idiots on the road:angry7:.

Blackwidow
September 11th, 2010, 03:41 PM
WOW...totally sucks!

Snake
September 11th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Wow... not a good day.

00NissanNinja
September 11th, 2010, 05:05 PM
You guys should watch her TLC interview it was pretty interesting.

JeffM
September 12th, 2010, 11:33 AM
link?

00NissanNinja
September 12th, 2010, 11:41 AM
link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xZtetIzIW4 IDK know how to embed videos lol
EDIT: Oh I guess it worked then

CZroe
September 12th, 2010, 11:50 AM
5xZtetIzIW4 IDK know how to embed videos lol

Ugh. I hate that kind of reporting. Manufactured drama. Ridiculous statements that they don't dwell on long enough to realize that it wasn't even worth using. Cutting off quotes mid-word over and over. Ugh.

00NissanNinja
September 12th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Ugh. I hate that kind of reporting. Manufactured drama. Ridiculous statements that they don't dwell on long enough to realize that it wasn't even worth using. Cutting off quotes mid-word over and over. Ugh.

They always make more drama than there really is, that is how reporting is. I just wanted to see the after effects of the crash cause I am curious:)

CZroe
September 12th, 2010, 12:25 PM
They always make more drama than there really is, that is how reporting is. I just wanted to see the after effects of the crash cause I am curious:)

The coup de grace is when they get a chiropractor to say "This is the most extraordinary accident and recovery I've ever had in any of my patients." The accident is his opinion, but if that's the most extraordinary recovery he's ever had without even broken bones, how does he ever expect to convince people that chiropractors aren't useless quacks? It's just a bone-headed thing to even say and I'm sure they coached him to say it. Most people would not take a chiropractor's statement as proof of being hurt anyway, especially when he admits that it's just inflammatory. And "months" or no, there's no evidence that the therapy helped for a simple case of inflammation. When I slipped in oil and went down in full gear from a standing position, there was absolutely no impact on my ribs and my gear absorbed everything else, yet I still had a horribly painful cramp in my right rib cage for almost two months. It didn't even feel like it was getting better for the first month. I couldn't even get up from a laying-down position. If I was in therapy the whole time and it took the same time to finish, would they have tried to take credit?

Just because they were able to talk to her they thought they could take a little crash clip and blow it up into a full segment without adding ANYTHING worth watching. Pointless clips of the subject walking around and discussing their unrelated job just to kill time? Check. Looping the video while completely unsubstatiated statements like "This is the moment that Dawn's dedication to her craft literally saved her life" (as if getting thrown over the handlebars was a skill)? Check. Stupid music and go-nowhere focus on paralysis, to raise suspense? Check. Oh, and that is considered an illegal lane split, even in CA.

00NissanNinja
September 12th, 2010, 12:42 PM
The coup de grace is when they get a chiropractor who admits that it was all inflammatory to say "This is the most extraordinary accident and recovery I've ever had in any of my patients." The accident is his opinion, but if that's the most extraordinary recovery he's ever had, how does he ever expect to convince people that chiropractors aren't useless quacks? It's just a bone-headed thing to even say and I'm sure they coached him to say it. And "months" or no, there's no evidence that the therapy helped for a simple case of inflammation. When I slipped in oil and went down in full gear from a standing position, there was absolutely no impact on my ribs and my gear absorbed everything else, yet I still had a horribly painful cramp in my right rib cage for almost two months. It didn't even feel like it was getting better for the first month. I couldn't even get up from a laying-down position. If I was in therapy the whole time and it took the same time to finish, would they have tried to take credit?

Just because they were able to talk to her they thought they could take a little crash clip and blow it up into a full segment without adding ANYTHING worth watching. Pointless clips of the subject walking around and discussing their unrelated job just to kill time? Check. Completely unsubstatiated claims like "This is the moment that Dawn's dedication to her craft literally saved her life" (as if getting thrown over the handlebars was a skill)? Check. Stupid music and focus on paralysis, to raise suspense? Check. Oh, and that is considered an illegal lane split, even in CA.

Oh yeah I do feel you on that stuff. when that chiropractor said all that stuff I was like that is some bs she definitely was not as injured as they made it seem. I see a chiropractor (well used too), for an accident where I got rear ended that caused my back and neck to become out of sync, I really feel that nothing really happens as a result of getting the treatment. Within an hour my pains come right back and my neck stiffens right back up and cracks. Only thing that really works is for me to do things that help it out.

sombo
September 12th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Oh, and that is considered an illegal lane split, even in CA.

Ummm, what lane split? She was never lane splitting. She was in her own lane when the idiot to her left locked up the rear and turned sideways in her lane blocking her path completely.

edit: Oh you meant in the longer video, I didn't watch that one till after I commented. I thought you meant in the one I posted.

Cazper
September 16th, 2010, 12:04 AM
For an "accomplished" rider she made a stupid move putting herself in a pinch point. She could have easily avoided the whole crash if she would have simply swerved into the HOV lane to her left instead. Why would you put yourself infront of a moving vehicle?

The first video, still a slight chance of avoiding the scenario by possibly serving to the right out of the path of the oncoming vehicle.

I'm done now.

harlumjp
September 16th, 2010, 12:58 AM
video trips me out a bit since I was riding 2-up on that same freeway today...

CZroe
September 16th, 2010, 06:05 PM
For an "accomplished" rider she made a stupid move putting herself in a pinch point. She could have easily avoided the whole crash if she would have simply swerved into the HOV lane to her left instead. Why would you put yourself infront of a moving vehicle?

The first video, still a slight chance of avoiding the scenario by possibly serving to the right out of the path of the oncoming vehicle.

I'm done now.

I probably need to watch it again but, obviously, when a vehicle comes from your left, you look to go right for many reason, one being that the vehicle coming from the left may correct and return to the left and another being that there may be another vehicle blocking entry to the left and another being that it's good general practice (shoulders are always on the right, oncoming lanes are always on the left). First she uses the available space to move right while checking to see if she can continue moving right. She can't but it made sense to check there first rather than wasting time checking to the left (same chances of being occupied, worse chances of being appropriate). By that time, it was too late to change her mind and go left. Split-second decisions are often irrevocable, and I think she went the right direction.

Obviously, the reverse is true for places that drive on the left.

Edit: I watched it again. Sure enough, we viewers have no idea what was to her left because the camera was mounted on the right and the FOV wasn't wide enough. FWIW, I got the feeling that there was a vehicle there.

Cazper
September 16th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Well, I suppose even if that was the case (a vehicle being there that is) she could have easily slowed down enough to get behind the silver car to her right instead of pushing herself between the two vehicles... either way... totally avoidable.

I still say that I would prefer to go behind the out of control car that especially once it turned 90 deg. than going in front of it. The chance of it "coming back into that lane" are very slim at that point. Just my .02

revstriker
September 17th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Well, I suppose even if that was the case (a vehicle being there that is) she could have easily slowed down enough to get behind the silver car to her right instead of pushing herself between the two vehicles... either way... totally avoidable.

I still say that I would prefer to go behind the out of control car that especially once it turned 90 deg. than going in front of it. The chance of it "coming back into that lane" are very slim at that point. Just my .02When you watch the video in real time, the whole thing happens in about 1 second. She has very little time to react and is probably going much too fast to swerve so sharply that she would go around the car.

Cazper
September 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I watched it about 10 times in a row, I still say that at the exact time that she begins to swerve right... if she would have swerved left she would have went behind the car.

Also, if she was "going to fast" thats easily prevented too... SLOW DOWN (in general not just for the accident). I'm not going to justify that there was no way that crash couldn't have been prevented... all you have to do is take out some of the conditions and suddenly this video isn't seen by anyone because it's just a normal commute to work with no crash.

I'm done now, no point in me saying the same things over and over... I'll leave this thread alone now.

CZroe
September 19th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I watched it about 10 times in a row, I still say that at the exact time that she begins to swerve right... if she would have swerved left she would have went behind the car.

Also, if she was "going to fast" thats easily prevented too... SLOW DOWN (in general not just for the accident). I'm not going to justify that there was no way that crash couldn't have been prevented... all you have to do is take out some of the conditions and suddenly this video isn't seen by anyone because it's just a normal commute to work with no crash.

I'm done now, no point in me saying the same things over and over... I'll leave this thread alone now.

Even when the car was completely sideways/perpendicular, it was still covering the majority of the left lane. Moving there would have been equally risky than staying in her current lane. Also, moving left takes away from he forward distance covered in X time so, even if there wasn't a vehicle there (which you seem to be assuming there wasn't), it would have allowed another vehicle to catch up a bit.

IOW, if a car is behind you in a lane to either side and you change lanes using a sudden swerve, the car will be closer to you than it would if you used a gradual change.

Snake
September 19th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Rosie
September 20th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I can't re-watch the video cause I'm at work now but I remember at some point in the long video she picked up her bike and flipped it to the opposite direction like it was made of feathers :confused:

She was saying something like "it's not about the weight, but about the balance". Can you really pick up your bike like that? I want to know how so I stop backing up from my driveway all the time :D

jApOrMs
September 20th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I can't re-watch the video cause I'm at work now but I remember at some point in the long video she picked up her bike and flipped it to the opposite direction like it was made of feathers :confused:

She was saying something like "it's not about the weight, but about the balance". Can you really pick up your bike like that? I want to know how so I stop backing up from my driveway all the time :D

it looks like it's on stand and she just did pivot on it.

Rosie
September 20th, 2010, 04:10 PM
it looks like it's on stand and she just did pivot on it.

Can you do that on the side stand? :confused:

k-os
September 20th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Can you do that on the side stand? :confused:

You can, although I'm not sure how much I would trust the sidestand to hold up after many times of doing it.

Rosie
September 20th, 2010, 04:31 PM
You can, although I'm not sure how much I would trust the sidestand to hold up after many times of doing it.

I think I'll keep backing up from the garage then :rolleyes:

Cuongism
September 20th, 2010, 05:04 PM
L6XAK8syAEA

When I had a garage in Boston, I did this everyday for a year with no issues (bike was also about 450 lbs). I preferred to do this since my driveway was a steep hill so rather ride out.

Rosie
September 20th, 2010, 06:39 PM
L6XAK8syAEA

When I had a garage in Boston, I did this everyday for a year with no issues (bike was also about 450 lbs). I preferred to do this since my driveway was a steep hill so rather ride out.

Nice!! So I showed this video to the hubby, whose major concern was: "Just don't drop it on MY bike!" :lol: :rolleyes:

FrugalNinja250
September 29th, 2010, 11:01 AM

One thing to understand, is that it takes several hundred milliseconds for the brain to actually process and present to the consciousness what the eyes see. You can see a video viewpoint of something happening, but keep in mind the video is ahead of the consciousness. That's what reaction times are all about. To a third party two things may happen simultaneously, but to the parties in the event the action and perception appear to occur at two different times.

As to the Honda driver, he jerked the emergency brake to skid the rear tires on purpose, and then lost control. Notice his front tires are not only not countersteered but are actually initially steered toward her lane.

Other than not being on the road that day there's not really anything she could have done to prevent this event. The Honda driver is 100% at fault in this scenario, all theories of possibilities aside. Yeah, that lying scumbag is just another reason why I video record every inch I ride my bike.

TrueFader
September 29th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Nice!! So I showed this video to the hubby, whose major concern was: "Just don't drop it on MY bike!" :lol: :rolleyes:

kickstands have been broken using this method, just a warning

akima
October 10th, 2012, 10:43 AM
G0eootaHR0Q

Long-winded, corny-american-tv-style interview with the rider:
5xZtetIzIW4

alex.s
October 10th, 2012, 10:53 AM
i think it's funny when i hear people say that they are in complete control of their bike and nothing could make them crash because they ride within their limits and so they don't need to wear gear.

right.

Fappy
October 10th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Wow. noob driver. Motorcyclist was lucky.
It looks the driver basically wasn't paying attention, and then looked and had to slam on the brakes really hard, causing a skid, which they then had no idea how to recover from...

Scary/ouch. I'm sitting in my office but I kind of want to just put my helmet on anyway lol.

akima
October 10th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I'm sitting in my office but I kind of want to just put my helmet on anyway lol.

ATGATT :thumbup:

Fappy
October 10th, 2012, 11:24 AM
ATGATT :thumbup:

^Lol. ESPECIALLY while sleeping. You never know when a cager's gonna come crashing through the wall on ya. ;)

Nemesis
October 10th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I actually know the motorcyclist (female) who was involved in that crash. When the police arrived the cager tried to blame the motorcyclist that it was she who caused the accident. When she heard this, she told the officer to watch the vid she just so happened to record and the police just smiled and showed it to the driver. Busted!

From that day on recording my rides (when I used to ride the street) became part of my daily commutes.

Fappy
October 10th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I actually know the motorcyclist (female) who was involved in that crash. When the police arrived the cager tried to blame the motorcyclist that it was she who caused the accident. When she heard this, she told the officer to watch the vid she just so happened to record and the police just smiled and showed it to the driver. Busted!

From that day on recording my rides (when I used to ride the street) became part of my daily commutes.

wow, REALLY? After that... she tried to blame the motorcyclist? are you serious? And with that many other witnesses around!? People are so asinine... I'm glad she was recording, and was ok.

I wonder what excuse the driver tried to use to blame it on the cyclist lol. "SHE MADE ME NERVOUS SO I SKIDDED!"

Kevin2109
October 10th, 2012, 11:58 AM
i think it's funny when i hear people say that they are in complete control of their bike and nothing could make them crash because they ride within their limits and so they don't need to wear gear.

right.

Like @"A" ? :lol:

Nemesis
October 10th, 2012, 12:01 PM
wow, REALLY? After that... she tried to blame the motorcyclist? are you serious? And with that many other witnesses around!? People are so asinine... I'm glad she was recording, and was ok.

I wonder what excuse the driver tried to use to blame it on the cyclist lol. "SHE MADE ME NERVOUS SO I SKIDDED!"

Wanna know how I know you're a sexist? LOL

FYI - The cager was male. The motorcyclist = female.

Anyhow, I know what you were trying to say.

Fappy
October 10th, 2012, 12:03 PM

Haha. Whoops. Well, at least I assumed that both the driver AND motorcyclist were female xD.
But still... I'm curious to know what the driver tried to use as an excuse.

Kevin2109
October 10th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Ah. Too many "she"'s in there I guess hah. But still... I'm curious to know what the driver tried to use as an excuse.

Me too, she was so far away from the car

Nemesis
October 10th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Oh, and what caused the car to spin around was the fact that he used the e-brake. Yeah, so don't use the e-brake unless you know how to control the car using your e-brake.

Fappy
October 10th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Oh, and what caused the car to spin around was the fact that he used the e-brake. Yeah, so don't use the e-brake unless you know how to control the car using your e-brake.

That would definitely explain why he lost traction at the rear wheels... Who stops with the E-Brake lol? Maybe he was trying to "drift"...:crazy:

5evenz
October 10th, 2012, 12:34 PM
The heart of the mindset of the western world. We Shouldn't have ever called it an "emergency brake" that gives the wrong idea. and when your so stupid you have to consciously focus on breathing these things can be a problem.
They should've called it a "use when you dont have any other brakes or when parking on a hill brake.." but that doesn't really roll of the tongue now does it. Enter the mind.

-"... Oh i thought i was supposed to use it" -"... I didn't know it would cause a skid" -"... Whats a skid??" -"it was the fault of the guy in front of me!!!"
Oy...

Nemesis
October 10th, 2012, 12:38 PM
The heart of the mindset of the western world. We Shouldn't have ever called it an "emergency brake" that gives the wrong idea. and when your so stupid you have to consciously focus on breathing these things can be a problem.
They should've called it a "use when you dont have any other brakes or when parking on a hill brake.." but that doesn't really roll of the tongue now does it. Enter the mind.

-"... Oh i thought i was supposed to use it" -"... I didn't know it would cause a skid" -"... Whats a skid??" -"it was the fault of the guy in front of me!!!"
Oy...

Hmm...I THINK you just called us stupid? :D

alex.s
October 10th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Wanna know how I know you're a sexist? LOL

that was you driving wasn't it. damn asians!

... come back racing, sweetheart. we miss you.

Nemesis
October 10th, 2012, 01:10 PM
that was you driving wasn't it. damn asians!
... come back racing, sweetheart. we miss you.

If I won't race no moar, no one will too. I'm gonna take each and every one of you out! :D

BTW, you and your stooge friends have only raced once! -_-

alex.s
October 10th, 2012, 01:21 PM
T_T

Jiggles
October 10th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Pain level 9

:lol:

Asspire
October 10th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Vtec just kicked in, yo.

lgk
October 10th, 2012, 03:14 PM

that why most people call it a parking brake.

the function of it is lost for people who drive cars with automatic transmissions.

5evenz
October 10th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Hmm...I THINK you just called us stupid? :D

More of a comment on way our society works in general. :P

Yeah traffic is moving quick but it does look like she could have reacted quicker (brake sooner) to the swerving car ahead of her. :confused20: just wondering.

Nemesis
October 10th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Yeah traffic is moving quick but it does look like she could have reacted quicker (brake sooner) to the swerving car ahead of her. :confused20: just wondering.

Nah, it's easier to sit there & watch the vid and judge but unless you've been in those type of situations (boxed in, cars immediately braking, etc.) it's very hard to react to such situations especially when the last thing you expect is to spin around and end up in your lane.

But who knows...maybe she did have an opening...maybe she didn't. Either way no one was seriously injured.

CZroe
October 10th, 2012, 08:15 PM
We've definitely talked about this video before and linked to it as an example of how to turn the bike around on the side-stand. :)

I remember LOLing at the stupid over-dramatization. "She faced paralysis" Oh, wait: No she didn't. Whe didn't have a broken bone in her body. Then they took her to a quack chiropractor! :D Of course she has "severe" whiplash injuries: YOU TOOK HER TO A FRICKIN' CHIROPRACTOR! OMG, look at all the PT she had to endure! :rolleyes:

Jiggles
October 10th, 2012, 08:34 PM
They should do a story on me.

Would be way more entertaining

CZroe
October 10th, 2012, 08:39 PM
They should do a story on me.

Would be way more entertaining

They'd probably say that you were ATTACKED BY A RAVENOUS CAGER... and they'd be right :thumbup:

thisisbenji
October 10th, 2012, 09:27 PM
My civic starts to slide side ways like the when you slam on the brakes and lock the wheels without the parking brake. Although I'm pretty good at recovering from it due to driving in the snow (it'll actually do a 360 just from the brake pedal in the snow), I'm clueless as to why he didn't let up on the brakes and correct and go towards the median.... I mean everything happens in slow motion in these situations had plenty of time to react from when he hit the brakes to when he was sideways.

CZroe
October 10th, 2012, 09:43 PM
My civic starts to slide side ways like the when you slam on the brakes and lock the wheels without the parking brake. Although I'm pretty good at recovering from it due to driving in the snow (it'll actually do a 360 just from the brake pedal in the snow), I'm clueless as to why he didn't let up on the brakes and correct and go towards the median.... I mean everything happens in slow motion in these situations had plenty of time to react from when he hit the brakes to when he was sideways.

E-brakes ratchet and you can't simply "let off" if you had let go and allowed the button to pop back out (controlled E-braking manipulates it up and down while holding the lock button). I bet the genius snapped it up and let go.

Bassman
October 10th, 2012, 09:45 PM

\ Truly that's the "cookie" defense... I murdered my grandma because she didn't give me a cookie when I wanted one. Why can't peps take responsibility for their actions? This video really makes me want to video all my rides just for defense like having insurance, geez.....

Just got to remember defence defence defence, few care about others, sad, so be careful, I hate to see anyone here hurt :-(

Alex
October 10th, 2012, 10:57 PM
/merged

psych0hans
October 10th, 2012, 11:30 PM
That S**T is crazy man.... HOLY F**KING S**T!!!! :eek: