View Full Version : WERA weekend at Jennings GP

JS73
September 22nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Did my first race this past weekend in the WERA event at JGP in the E Super Stock class (i.e Ninja 250s).
Started 5th, had a good start, passed 4th and 3rd going into turn 1. Passed 2nd before turn 3 and got behind the leader.

It was a hard battle for duration of the 8 lap race, battling for the lead but I guess being 75 lbs heavier than the leader (13 year old kid and an excellent rider) didn't help, as soon as we picked up the bikes out of the corners, he would just drive away from turns 11 to 13, 14 to 1 and 1 to 3, pulling a few bike lengths and had to make up the gap in the corners. That was basically how the whole race went.

The pace was around mid to low 34s and finished with a 33.9 on the last lap, about 0.3 secs or so, behind at the line. When it was over, we shook hands in the cool down lap, ala GP, :lol:. Once in the pits I went over and congratulated him for his win, it was the most fun I have had on two wheels. I need to lose some pounds now :( :rolleyes: :lol:

So all in all, the weekend was great, finished a very close second in my first race and set a new PB of 32.5 on Sunday practice.
Prior to all this my PB was a 34.6.

Some pics my friends took of me. Wearing the provisional novice shirt over the leathers.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/jsanabria/JGP/WERA_JGP_2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/jsanabria/JGP/WERA_JGP_1.jpg

Bike in the pits ready to go. (sorry, crappy cel phone pic I took)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/jsanabria/JGP/Pits.jpg

Me in the pits.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/jsanabria/JGP/WERA_JGP_4.jpg

Accepting the trophy/plaque and thanking my friends for all their advice and support. This is a cel phone pic from my friend and JGP control rider Jessica, who won the WERA womens regional championship at the event. She rocks!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/jsanabria/JGP/WERAJGP2nd.jpg

My friend Roger and I also rode the Clubman race just for fun. Here's video he took of us in Clubman. 2 laps of JGP on Ninjettes.

9-znKeTZnK4

Alex
September 22nd, 2010, 04:10 PM
Nice! :thumbup:

CC Cowboy
September 22nd, 2010, 06:38 PM
Good job Joel

illrational
September 22nd, 2010, 07:21 PM
whats average speed going into those turns?At what speed are you getting your knee down or is it dependent on the radius of teh turn?ireally should read twist of wrist!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cab305
September 22nd, 2010, 07:57 PM
Awesome congratulations!

JS73
September 23rd, 2010, 06:16 AM
Alex, CC Cowboy, Cab305- Thanks, it was a good time for sure, but I was a ball of nerves on the warm up lap and staging on the grid, :ohno:

illrational- The knee touching can depend on several things, turn radius, speed, how much you lean and how much you stretch out your leg. You can make it touch on the same corner at different speeds.

As far as going into the corners, I am curious about this myself. The only turn I have seen the gauge is #3 as you're still tucked just before tipping it in, the speedometer reads from 100 to about 104 depending on how good the drive is coming out of #1. Turn 3 at Jennings is a 6th gear wide open throttle corner on the ninjette.

I would have to get a cam and record the gauges to know the rest.

HKr1
September 23rd, 2010, 08:43 AM
2nd's pretty sweet! Congrats :thumbup:

Nice pics too :)

CC Cowboy
September 23rd, 2010, 09:12 AM
Joel, you blew by that 600 in the video (on the front straight too), pretty impressive.

dubojr1
September 23rd, 2010, 09:19 AM
Would someone mind explaing the #'s as your nearing the corners?

JS73
September 23rd, 2010, 09:23 AM
Joel, you blew by that 600 in the video (on the front straight too), pretty impressive.
Oscar, the guy I went by was also on a ninjette. Although I have passed 600s and 1000s in the back sections.
Posted via Mobile Device

JS73
September 23rd, 2010, 09:24 AM
2nd's pretty sweet! Congrats :thumbup:

Nice pics too :)
Thanks!!
Posted via Mobile Device

HKr1
September 23rd, 2010, 10:06 AM

Braking zone markers. Plus jennings has the corners numbered.... along with meatball signs, showing where you should be in the corners.

Thanks!!
Posted via Mobile Device

You bet. Hope to see you out there sometime :)

JS73
September 23rd, 2010, 10:07 AM

ETA: Duh. What Kerry said ^^.

The meatballs are there to play "connect the dots" to get you on the standard race line.

Now for the ninjette, this varies a little since you want to keep up the momentum and have to make a little wider swooping turns. But the dots still give you a good starting reference of where you should be.

The video starts going down the front straight.
Here's a map of the track with turn numbers for your reference.
http://www.jenningsgp.com/images/trackmap.gif

dubojr1
September 23rd, 2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys.... I see I have a lot yet to learn.

tiggen
September 23rd, 2010, 05:59 PM
... but I guess being 75 lbs heavier than the leader (13 year old kid and an excellent rider) didn't help, as soon as we picked up the bikes out of the corners, he would just drive away from turns 11 to 13, 14 to 1 and 1 to 3, pulling a few bike lengths and had to make up the gap in the corners. That was basically how the whole race went.

Gavin, the kid, is pretty fast (and a great kid), but he also has a fast bike. His dad owns a dealership, and it's set up good.

Dude, if you beat Dave, the guy who came in 3rd, I think you should definitely feel good. He's leading or in the hunt for CSS, CSB, Senior MW SB, and BSS in the Southeast, and he does it all on a CSS legal R6. He's also a CR for NESBA. In other words, well done.:thumbup:

You gonna drive up to Nashville this weekend?

JS73
September 23rd, 2010, 06:29 PM
Gavin, the kid, is pretty fast (and a great kid), but he also has a fast bike. His dad owns a dealership, and it's set up good.

Dude, if you beat Dave, the guy who came in 3rd, I think you should definitely feel good. He's leading or in the hunt for CSS, CSB, Senior MW SB, and BSS in the Southeast, and he does it all on a CSS legal R6. He's also a CR for NESBA. In other words, well done.:thumbup:

You gonna drive up to Nashville this weekend?

Thanks John! I feel pretty good and am happy about my result.

Yes, Gavin is a great kid and very respectful, something you don't see in many kids now a days.

I will be out of town this coming weekend and cannot make that race. I'm thinking of going to the GNF to hang out with my JGP friends. I won't ride as I know it's invitation only, but it will be fun.

Again, thanks for your words John.

CC Cowboy
September 25th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Joel, how do you get the slow fat out of the way?

MpIFvxUhniw

This isn't me, but still pretty fast.