View Full Version : 2-fiddy's in the Pacific Northwest-WMRRA

tim61
September 23rd, 2010, 08:50 PM
Hi all,

New to the forum. Thought I would share recent experiences with 250 Ninjas in the Washington Motorcycle Road Racing Association (WMRRA).

We have been having the same issues as most clubs in this economy...numbers are down, racers are dropping out due to cost, not enough new racers, etc. Couple this with an extrordinarily bad year for Novices (one fatal accident and only 2 heats seeing the checkers, the rest ending in red flag accidents).

After the August race, I was visiting with our Race Director, Jeff Weiand, and Referee, Phil Cook, about the general bad state of things. We all agreed we needed an affordable class that generated excitement and allowed Novices to race something other than a 600/750/1000 or a vintage bike. Neither of these are good options, as the moderns are too fast and the vintage bikes require the rider to be an expert mechanic. I think it was Phil that mentioned the obvious choice. "What about 250 Ninja's?".

In 3 weeks we had assembled 6 racers, 2 new gen and 4 old gen. The idea was to run sans bodywork to keep it cheap. I bought an 05 and had it race ready for $1150. I also bought an 09 salvage title bike and had it on the track for $1275. So, we had affordable covered. Next we had to see how popular it would be. Best part is we converted both to racers at the track on the morning of raceday while spectators watched. They were really showing some interest

We entered the little racers in 125GP and Early Lightweight GP. In practice, Tim Weig threw his 05 down in turn 5 and broke his footpeg plate and ruined the front master cylinder. So we were down to 5 bikes. But, response from spectators was pretty positive.

So the flag drops for the Early Lightweight GP race and Phil jumps to a lead with me hot on his tail. His 05 is much quicker on acceleration than my 09, but I have the advantage of having 4 seasons of CB160 racing under my belt, so I sotra have the corner speed thing figured out. We swap the lead back and forth and generally have a lot of fun, then on the last lap I twist it up a little for the win. And I was laughing all the way, it was so much fun! But best of all were the spectators. The fences were lined and you would have thought some sort of championship was on the line, with some rooting for Phil and some for me. It was awesome. And in the pits afterwards it was like being rock stars. EVERYONE loved it. All I kept hearing over and over was "I need to get one of those!".

Hmmmmm....maybe we were onto something!

In 125GP Phil and I repeated the same back and forth race, with Phil taking the win when I was unable to complete a last lap draft pass in time. Again, the spectators loved it.

That was 2 weeks ago, and as of last night we have 18 250 Ninjas in the hands of WMRRA racers...for next season! The response has been amazing, so much so that Jeff has asked Phil and I to draft rules for our own race. So next season WMMRA will have a Ninja Cup class! We are making rules so that there will actually be 2 classes, Ninja Cup, with some sort of contingency from Kawasaki, and a Cheapionship Cup class for those who want to do it cheap and dirty...no fairings, early gen, Canadian ZZR's, 17" wheels on early gens, etc. Both classes will require stock engines, carbs, airboxes, etc. We should have the rules ready and online by the end of November, with sponsorship for both classes. And both classes will run at the same time, which will REALLY give the spectators something to root for!

So keep an eye on www.wmrra.com and get ready for a road trip to the Pacific Northwest for a race or 2. I promise you will be welcomed like family!:thumbup:

Tim O'Mahony
WMRRA Chief Tech Inspector
WMRRA #220

Alex
September 23rd, 2010, 10:52 PM
:clapping: Sounds like fun!

tim61
September 23rd, 2010, 11:09 PM
It was an absolute hoot! I have been racing off and on since about 1982, and that had to have been one of the more enjoyable experiences I have had on the track. Ranked right up there with racing Doug Polen on CB160's at Miller last year!

I took the 09 and 05 to a trackday a few days ago and probably put 60 or so laps on the 09. I took a friend and let him ride the 05. We agreed we would swap bikes every other session. After one session he refused to let go of the 05, and rode it all day! Now he wants to buy it. Another convert!

It was a blast railing around the outside of big bikes in the corners, and even more fun pass 3 and 4 at a time on the brakes! These little bikes are really too much fun.

The ironic part for me is I started my racing career in 82 on the predecessor of the 250 Ninja, the GPz305, at Willow Springs. Who would have thought that some 28 years later, here I would be, on another tiny Kawasaki, laughing my ass off...:crazyloco:

TimO

JS73
September 24th, 2010, 04:53 AM
That's great! Sounds like you guys had a blast. Sweet pictures too :thumbup:

choppedsled
September 24th, 2010, 09:13 AM
" Couple this with an extrordinarily bad year for Novices (one fatal accident and only 2 heats seeing the checkers, the rest ending in red flag accidents). "

How will a dedicated Ninja 250 class help with the novice issues? Lower power output / speeds? I can see that helping, maybe greatly, maybe not. I ask because I come from a racing background, BMX, Motocross, Karts etc, and have ridden many a sport bike over the years. I have a 17 year old son with a 250R and he’d like to try his hand at some track days, and eventually racing. Heck at 50 years old I’d love to hit a race track again and the little Ninja class would be affordable enough. I started pondering if it’s something we should pursue. We went to Portland and Seattle 3 times in the last couple of months and I was shocked at the amount of accidents in the novice class. What do you attribute it to? What could be done differently? I feel what’s going on between the ears of a novice is more important than anything else.
Thanks…

tim61
September 24th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Choppedsled,

Thanks for the questions! I am very happy to answer!

I feel that the problem we have with Novices has several layers.

The obvious is track safety which is being addressed. Spokane is and OMG unsafe old school track. With no run-off in several of the fastest corners on the track, it was only a matter of time before an incident like Khalil's took place. And Spokane County is in the process of re-designing the track to eliminate the most dangerous run-offs, which we hope will be in place before the 2011 season.

The issue of the speed and power of current sportbikes is another concern. When I started racing nearly 30 years ago, we were restricted to 250 cc's as Novices. I personally feel that the vast majority of riders out there simply cannot learn safe racing skills on a machine that is capable of speeds over 150mph on the straights. Even on slow machines, most novices can't tell me where all the corner stations are at Pacific Raceway. They are trying so hard to get around the track that they suffer from tunnel vision. And as the field of view goes down, most riders slip into a "survival" mode, in which very little learning is happening. I think that until you are going slow enough that you can look around and analyze what is taking place around you, you will likely not learn a whole lot about how to race safely.

Then you have the issue of Novices racing Novices. How can you safely pass or ride alongside someone who is in as far over his head as you are? How can you learn from watching someone race who is as inexperienced as you? Obviously, you can't. But, in WMRRA, Novices are restricted to the Novice class (which was more of a Demolition Derby class in 2010), 125GP (I doubt you could learn much while trying to keep an RS125 running), or Vintage (which requires you to be a mechanic as well as a rider). The bottom line, again in my opinion, is if you want to really learn, you need to be running with more experienced riders, that you can watch and can watch you. I know for myself, following really good riders and watching what they were doing made alll the difference in my learning curve.

Lastly is the attitude of the Novices. That one I don't have an answer for. The bottom line is with the possible exception of Kevin Schwantz, no racers started in their late teens or early twenties and went on to become factory racers. All club racers are just that, club level racers, doing it for fun. If you think that you are going to be the next Valentin Rossi, you are wrong. If you think you are going to show up as a Novice and set the world on fire with your amazing speed, you are wrong. And, you are a danger to yourself and your fellow racers.

So, the idea of running the 2-fiddy's and allowing Novices to run them just makes sense to me. They are cheap, so you are likely to come back for a second season (currently, most Novices don't, as they typically spend the next couple years fixing the damage they did to their finances trying to race and crash the 600/750/100 they are already making payments on!). You get to race with Experts, who can critique you and help you to become an Expert yourself. You will not be traveling at warp speed, and are more likely to be able to get into a learning mode rather than a survival mode. And, if you do well, you can actually win contingency and score points. Currently, Novices can only score points in 125GP and Vintage. Ninja Cup would likely be added to that list.

So, at the end of the day, it all seems like a win/win to me. I can see no downside to racing 2-fiddys at all. Neither can the rest of the clubs E-board, which is why it will be its own class for 2011.

I hope you and your son will come out and give it a try! We would love to have you in our tribe, and work with you and your son to become safer, more skilled riders.

TimO

tim61
September 24th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Oh, and while I am at it, my friend Sean bought a pile of new gen Ninjas in Oregon to turn into racers. He has one left, a salvage title 09, straight and clean with no bodywork other than a tank, runs great. He is selling it for $1350!!!!!

With the current deal we have (for 5 more days) on Hotbodies plastic($360), you could be on the track race ready on a new gen for around $2K!!! What a deal!!!

Here is the link if anyone is interested
http://www.wmrra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12017

TimO

Alex
September 24th, 2010, 12:18 PM
The bottom line is with the possible exception of Kevin Schwantz, no racers started in their late teens or early twenties and went on to become factory racers.

And Troy Bayliss. :thumbup:

choppedsled
September 24th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the insite. You definately have your finger on the novice issue. I see the new class as a possability for my son, and maybe even myself, where I never would have considered him jumping into the fray of a 600 on up. We plan on hitting PIR this weekend and doing some more spectating.

Thanks!

tim61
September 24th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Choppedsled,

You should give it a whirl. I can almost promise you will not be the oldest 2-fiddy rider in the class! Mick Hart is 57, if I remember right, and I think Tom Deem is as well. There are no better riders in the club to learn the art of roadracing from!

And I stand corrected...Troy Bayliss as well. Bottom line, you are a lot more likely to get hit by lightning than become a factory racer when starting your racing career as an adult!:D

TimO

ithaca00
September 24th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Oh, and while I am at it, my friend Sean bought a pile of new gen Ninjas in Oregon to turn into racers. He has one left, a salvage title 09, straight and clean with no bodywork other than a tank, runs great. He is selling it for $1350!!!!!

With the current deal we have (for 5 more days) on Hotbodies plastic($360), you could be on the track race ready on a new gen for around $2K!!! What a deal!!!

TimO

If I didn't already have a '08 race bike I'd be driving up there right now! That is a good deal.

Order
September 25th, 2010, 12:47 AM

TimO

+1 for a good deal!

I better get on the Hotbodies deal! Did yours arrive yet? Curious to get your feedback on it.

tim61
September 25th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Yes, I got the Hotbodies kit from Mark yesterday. It is really nice stuff, and what a deal! Fairing upper and lower, tail, front fender and windscreen for $365!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I might just buy a second set at that price for a spare!

TimO

steadyeddie
September 26th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Choppedsled, get off the fence and come on out to play. I promise you won't be the oldest out there. My mechanic is coming back after a few years off; he's 62. This WILL, above all, be a fun class to be in.

choppedsled
September 27th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Choppedsled,

You should give it a whirl. I can almost promise you will not be the oldest 2-fiddy rider in the class! Mick Hart is 57, if I remember right, and I think Tom Deem is as well. There are no better riders in the club to learn the art of roadracing from!

And I stand corrected...Troy Bayliss as well. Bottom line, you are a lot more likely to get hit by lightning than become a factory racer when starting your racing career as an adult!:D

TimO

Choppedsled, get off the fence and come on out to play. I promise you won't be the oldest out there. My mechanic is coming back after a few years off; he's 62. This WILL, above all, be a fun class to be in.

Ok,Ok, even against my better judgement I hear ya...lol. I've got a tall list to take care of before I can set foot on a track. I gotta work at getting my ol busted up body back into shape over the winter. So now I'm on the lookout for a donor bike to build for next season. I should have pulled the trigger on the 09 that was for sale, I see it's been sold...:mad:, I'm such a dumbass sometimes. So if ya know of a donor late gen for sale let me know. How many days left on the body work deal? Might have to snatch that up for starters.

tim61
September 27th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Till Friday on the bodywork. Bike will be the easy part.

Rexbo
September 27th, 2010, 10:05 PM
oh man I definitely dig the auto parts store drain pan for an undertray!

Check out the AFM racing class or WERA class ninja 250 rules, they're nearly identical, and the production(AFM) or 250 cup (WERA) rules keep the costs way down!

rwheelz
September 28th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Wow I would kill to have something like this local! You guys are lucky.

ztrack157
September 28th, 2010, 02:43 PM
You need to call brian bartlow. We are working on something big with Kawasaki for next season.