View Full Version : wife went down last night.......on the bike that is

stang65pony
September 25th, 2010, 07:07 AM
we were riding some back roads before dark and apparently (her words) she went into the turn too fast and braked too hard causing the bike to slide out from under her sideways. she is ok, thanks to her padded jacket, helmet and gloves. she was wearing jeans which helped but she hit her knee on the ground and its hurting her. just scrapes and scratches really.

as for the bike, its mostly cosmetic with the exception of a slightly bent clutch side handlebar. i picked it up, cleaned out the grass and dirt, and fired it up and took it down the street and back. she hopped back on and we rode home.

i might be looking for parts soon but i think were going to turn it into the insurance.

she is a champ

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/stang65pony/2010-09-24204520.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/stang65pony/2010-09-24204532.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/stang65pony/2010-09-24204549.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/stang65pony/2010-09-24213629.jpg

Samer
September 25th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Glad your wife is OK. Too bad about the bike. I wonder if she could have made it through without braking :confused: I know it takes nerves of steel to ride it out if you came in too hot, but I think that is generally the best thing to do, from what I've read.

Hope she keeps riding!

Snake
September 25th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Sorry to hear about your wifes accident but I am glad to hear that she is ok. You might want to think about some new tires. The stock tires are not very sticky.

almost40
September 25th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Glad she is ok.
Glad you guys wear your gear.
If you live in a state where you can buy your bike back from the insurance company, Id turn it in.

Cab305
September 25th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Glad she is ok!

mrlmd
September 25th, 2010, 08:32 AM
You can't ride with the front wheel turned then hit the front brake hard and not expect the bike to go down. It will happen at 2 mph or can do at 60mph, Next time, just turn harder, add more steering input and lean, and the bike will probably make it around the turn. You may have a brown spot in your pants but the bike will probably handle it fine. The tires are not necessarily to blame, it's the technique that matters more. If you have to brake hard in a turn because you're entering it too hot, depending on the room to the sides, you have to straighten out the bars and steer straight ahead, then apply the brakes hard. You can't brake hard going around a turn or you go down, that's the way it works.
Glad to hear she's OK and didn't get seriously hurt, other than maybe her pride. But that's how we learn, and she had the balls to get back on and ride home. Good for her! The bike will recover after some TLC, a badge of honor.

ninjabrewer
September 25th, 2010, 09:05 AM
ouch, glad to hear that she is ok.

nb

Rosie
September 25th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Sorry about the bike, but glad to hear your wife is ok :thumbup:
It happens, I'm sure now on she'll be more careful on those turns. Sometimes the only way to learn is the hard way, but the imporant thing is that she did not get hurt too bad! :)

00NissanNinja
September 25th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Glad she is alright. Invest in some knee guards that you can put on under jeans. Well, hope she feels better soon!

CC Cowboy
September 25th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Hopefully you explained to her that you're not supposed to crash.

Some people think it's a rite of passage.

Sailariel
September 25th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Glad your wife is OK. The bike took quite a hit--that plastic is pricey, unless you are good at bodywork. I don't have a clue as to what the insurance company will do. You are lucky that you have a wife who rides. Mine will not get within 10 feet of anything on two wheels. She got hit by a car twice while riding a bicycle and suffered some pretty extensive damage--both times she was hit by drunks. If she were willing to ride, I would have bought a touring machine or a Ninjette for herself. She is terrified. Hope you make out well.

stang65pony
September 25th, 2010, 04:07 PM
all is well. we decided to just fix the bike instead of turning it into the insurance company and having to pay a deductible and having our insurance go up. im an ASE and ICAR certified collision tech so anything that can be fixed will lol. i am however looking for;

a left hand handlebar
a left hand side rear cowl (under the seat) any color
a left hand side blinker

everything else i can repair. the left and upper fairing would be easier to just replace but we dont have the funds for that.

thanks for the condolences (sp) and let me know if you have any of these parts! thanks!

JMcDonald
September 25th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Hey, good on your wife for admitting rider error! I am so tired of "I guess there was light sand" and "maybe I didn't warm up my tires enough" or just the generic "I dunno what happened, I take turns like that all the time... [implication that motorcycles just up and decide to fall over when they feel like it]."

Glad she is OK! You should get some knee armor for her. You can get it for as little as like $15 (mine was $12 that I just added on to a larger order). Knee injuries are quite common and, even if nothing is damaged, even a light knock will leave it tender for a good while. Just another bit of cheap insurance!

VT Wes
September 25th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Having worked in a autobody shop for years I learned long ago that vehicles can be fixed or replaced, the only important thing is that your wife is okay. The lesson here is that proper gear is needed every ride because you just don't know when, where or how something like this might happen.

JS73
September 25th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Sorry to hear about the crash, but I'm glad that your wife is ok.

250rStar
September 25th, 2010, 08:00 PM
well at least she is ok and since the handlebar is bent you have an excuse to buy clipons lol

karlosdajackal
September 26th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Tell her to turn more and don't brake, apart from being the right thing to do leaning the bike actually scrubs off speed. If she insist on braking hard she is going to have to stand it up which can bring its own issues in a turn.

Get her some proper riding pants and a copy of twist of the wrist 2 as get well soon presents also!

ally99
September 26th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Glad she is ok. We may have some parts available, so PM me what you need if you decide to restore it.

stang65pony
September 26th, 2010, 11:11 AM
yup she is still learning and knows what to do different next time. since our riding season is almost over we decided to just fix the bike as its just cosmetic (so far).