View Full Version : Best riding in CA? Thinking of a mid-winter trip...

rwheelz
September 28th, 2010, 03:58 PM
We are considering taking a vacation, possibly around xmas, to go riding in the middle of the harsh MT winter. We would tow the bikes down on a trailer. Where should we be looking? We would also consider Vegas area or AZ, but we want to go wherever the best riding will be, and SoCal sounds about right!

Palm Springs has been recommended and is high on our list. We are hoping some friends of ours (a couple from Calgary) will join us, and everyone can fly into Palm Springs easily for whatever reason. I will have the pleasure of towing all the bikes 1200+ miles each way alone. We would be looking to rent a condo or something for a week (a garage to keep the bikes in would be a plus, since I am told theft is actually an issue down that way...?).

If anyone has suggestions, let me know!

Havok
October 6th, 2010, 02:03 PM
The only issue with palm springs and the time you want to go is it is going to be pretty cold out there and the roads in and out as well as the foot hill twisties can be randomly closed due to snow. San deigo is good year round pretty much. L.A is good as a central point as it's an hour and a half away from all the twisties north, south and east. It should be a dry winter for us as last winter was an el ninio for us so it's pretty dry the year after those.

The main problem with so cal for you guys is that you won't want to leave! Surf in the morning and snow board in the afternoon with twisties and crap to do at all hours of the day and night! There is no place better on earth! Lol

Blackwidow
October 6th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I agree wtih Havok, palm springs is pretty far out of everything and since its a desert, it gets really cold and some of the roads close down. LA would probably be your best bet, either in the manhanttan beach area or Santa monica area. There is a lot to do and close to PCH for a great ride. Its also close to all the mountains if you're looking for twisties.

kkim
October 6th, 2010, 03:14 PM
There is no place better on earth! Lol

I'd tend to disagree with that statement. :p

rwheelz
October 6th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Hmmm yes if only I could get our bikes to Hawaii mid winter!

Glad you guys gave me the info about Palm Springs. I was told it was desert-like out there so guaranteed good riding weather :confused20:

My only concern about LA is that we do not want to be stuck sitting in traffic. It is something we have not had to deal with since moving to MT. We spent 4 years in Houston and the traffic is brutal there. I am told LA is even worse, but I assume we could stay on the outskirts somewhere and avoid it...?

Thanks for the suggestions. I figure if I do enough research ahead of time the only variable will be the weather. It we show up and it rain all week I will PISSED after towing the bikes 1500 miles!

GeneJunkie
October 6th, 2010, 03:48 PM
But you can lane split in Cali... no such thing as traffic on a bike ;)

Blackwidow
October 6th, 2010, 04:02 PM
well we do get rain in the winter....so don't be too pissed if it rains, but our rains come and go, its not constant. And remember, its better then snow ;)

Traffic is the worst from 7am till 9am then from 3pm to 7pm...stay off major highways at that time and you'll be fine. people make it seems much worse then it is, i've been to other states that make our traffic look like paradise.

ithaca00
November 30th, 2010, 01:25 PM
anywhere along the coast is a good place to ride. There's loads of good riding down south but also up north, towards the Santa Cruz mountains. There's a lot of good roads in the foothills of the Sierras on the eastern side of CA but that could be presented with snow in a freakishly good storm.

What type of riding did you want to do? 100 mile days? 500 mile days?