View Full Version : Just Completed MSF

jnninja250r
October 3rd, 2010, 08:47 PM
Took my MSF course over the weekend. Passed:D It was my first time really riding, and I learned quite a bit. Plus, I had a blast. The best part were the bikes though. All 2010 Ninja 250's. After getting several hours of seat time on one, I'm reassured that a Ninja is what I want to get.

ally99
October 4th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Wow, how lucky to have such incredible new bikes for your class. My MSF put us on OLD crappy 125CC suzukis. lol! Welcome and ride safe! :thumbup:

JMcDonald
October 4th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Yeah, a friend of mine took the MSF course on all new ninja 250s. Aaargh. Most of our bikes were old Rebels and such. Mine even had a bent handlebar :-/ . However, he took it through the military so I bet they chose those so all the young military guys would feel cooler :P (not joking though).

On the other hand, I am surprised people would use 250Rs, given their seat height. It isn't super high, but there were several people at my course who I am sure wouldn't have been able to get a solid hold on the ground even on the Ninjette, vs the ~26" seat height of the bikes we had.

Did they have frame sliders?

g21-30
October 4th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Took my MSF course over the weekend. Passed:D It was my first time really riding, and I learned quite a bit. Plus, I had a blast. The best part were the bikes though. All 2010 Ninja 250's. After getting several hours of seat time on one, I'm reassured that a Ninja is what I want to get.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

bob706
October 4th, 2010, 05:39 AM
a Ninja is what I want to get.

ahhhhh......another addict. Welcome to the forum :thumbup:

JMcDonald
October 4th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Funny thing is, that friend justified his purchase of a brand new CBR600RR by saying "well, I started on a Ninja 250 like you." He thought a few hours of parking lot experience meant he was ready for an "upgrade."

He's gone down twice now... :doh:

Snake
October 4th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Congratulations on passing the class. Remember that the learning doesn't stop after you pass the MSF course. I have been riding for many years and learn something every time I ride.

Blackwidow
October 4th, 2010, 07:14 AM
congrats. so when are you getting your bike?

jnninja250r
October 4th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Yeah I was relieved when I saw the bikes we would be using. The class here in Lincoln is apparently partly sponsored by Kawasaki, and held in the parking lot of their local rail car plant, so that might be why we had all new Kawasaki bikes.
Anyway, I'd like to find one over the next month or so. The local dealer doesn't really have any new or used right now, but there are a few out in the western part of the state. Guess I've got some shopping around to do. If not its about to the end of the season here, so I'll have most of the winter to look.

Snake
October 4th, 2010, 12:18 PM
The end of bike riding season is a very good time to shop for a bike as dealers and private sellers are more likely to lower their prices since the bikes go slower during this time. You should also be able to get a good deal on a 2010 bike because the dealers are trying to make room for the 2011 models. Happy hunting.

jnninja250r
October 14th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Well it's been a frustrating couple weeks of bike shopping. Seems like every stealership I walk into is hell bent on getting me on a 650R. The have have very limited selections of 250s.
What I've looked at so far:
Kaufman Kawasaki: New '10 250R (Green SE) $3999, but trying hard to push me towards a new 650R
StarCity: Will be getting 12 slightly used '10 250R's in assorted colors from the local MSF class on 11/1, but won't discuss price until then. Trying to get me on an '07 650R with 11,100mi for $4450. Seems a bit pricey to me compared to others in the area.
Several other places I checked had nothing that interested me, except for the Thruxton 900 at Omaha's Triumph dealer. That was one sweet bike, though most likely more engine and more money than I should get in a first bike.

highpsiguy
October 14th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Don't let THEM *stealership* spend YOUR money! Forget a dealership!!! Craigslist and the local paper. Find someone who has alot of bike buying experience and get them to help you.

MikeCG23
October 14th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Wow! 2010 Ninja to learn on is awesome. I had a pre-gen to learn on so I'm glad to have rode a pre-gen and a new-gen.

setasai
October 15th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Not fair! All mine had were rebels and being 6ft and new made the rebels extremely tricky to ride on. I felt like I was on a tricycle it was so small. Legs were sore for days after that. Lucky. You'll love the 250. I paid quite a bit more for mine 2009 SE Green back then. While it's important to get a good deal on it. I promise you, you wont care the day after you take it home. :-)

TrueFader
October 15th, 2010, 03:20 PM
no fair, when i took the msf i dont think a ninja redesign was even a twinkle in a jr engineer's eye, i was stuck on some 125 cruiser with a shotty transmission. first time i went to put my feet on the pegs i aimed for under my ass and missed completely.

Rosie
October 15th, 2010, 07:47 PM
first time i went to put my feet on the pegs i aimed for under my ass and missed completely.

:lol: Ditto!! I did my MSF class on a Honda Rebel and kept missing the foot pegs too!! :lol:

Shwig
October 18th, 2010, 11:43 PM

lucky i had to take mine on a honda night hawk that was used and abused. congrats

TeamGreen
October 19th, 2010, 12:58 AM
One more here for lucky to use 2010 ninjas. We got beat rebels and some 125 cruisers, think they were kawis. One rebel I had would die every time i came to a stop. Finally got them to get me a different bike.

SVBS
October 27th, 2010, 10:07 AM
you're a lucky SOB, all we got were rebel and GZ250,:happy130:

supermanzdead
October 28th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I just did my MSF last weekend, we did it at the Harley shop on Buell Blasts...