View Full Version : Kreiga US-20 Tailbag Thoughts

setasai
October 6th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hello, everybody's been a great help and since I havent seen any posts here about this particular bag I thought i'd jump in.

Lets begin:
Its from Kreiga obviously and it's rated for 20 liters. It's shape resembles that of a stuff sack so if you like easy and fast access then it might not be what your looking for. I like the fact that it is waterproof and once off the bike there are shoulder straps that can be worn courier style similar to a timbuk2 classic messenger. There are only 2 pockets on the outside, one on top that's accessible when strapped to the bike, one that's on the bottom that holds all the straps when not in use.

Attached are photos of what it looks like attached to the passenger seat. You just lay it under and put the seat overtop (I am considering adding support bars in case the latch mechanism isnt strong enough). Anybody have issues w/ the passenger seat delatching itself? When not in use you can either remove the straps or latch it like I have. The latches are extra unfortunately.

The rest is self explanatory. Just a quick 360. Personally, I was looking for something that didnt look like a lunch box when off the bike and latched on the bike fast. I tried using a backpack but I just wasnt thrilled by the idea nor the look of it. The neat thing is that the US-20 is designed to attach to the US-10 and US-5 to add capacity and make it essentially a US-40 (latches indicated on photo w/ red circles). I will probably avoid buying 2 more US-10's only because they're $60; atleast not yet anyways. Instead I thought that I could probably retrofit a stuff sack from the camping section and latch it on in a similar fashion for when I want to take some longer touring trips someday maybe.

For the photos, I have a standard sized pillow stuffed in it. I havent had a chance to take it out for a ride and see how it holds up but from first appearance, it's stable (cant be sure yet since theres nothing of weight inside). Only issue I forsee right now is that when the straps are clipped to itself, there is alot of slack that doesnt go anywhere. I tucked it under the seat but otherwise it would be flapping around like no tomorrow if i decide to ride without the pack.

Questions welcomed. I'll add more photos of what it looks like on an actual ride w/ better scenery soon. Hope it works out.

DaBlue1
October 6th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I like it. Looks as big as a backpack.

addy126
October 6th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I like the looks and attachment of this item..... cool and probably something I'd consider if I needed a tailbag like this. I've never had a latch problem on the passenger seat with tailbags that I use. :thumbup:

setasai
October 6th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I like the looks and attachment of this item..... cool and probably something I'd consider if I needed a tailbag like this. I've never had a latch problem on the passenger seat with tailbags that I use. :thumbup:

Good to know. That's the only thing I'm worried about but then again I suppose if i have to put brick-like objects into a tailbag, I should probably use a car. lol

setasai
October 7th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Ok took it out for a spin. It is extremely stable and fairly quick to get attached. I find that depending on what is in the bag, the straps can be long but I just tuck it under and it stay's well.

Off the bike, it's even better. I have the shoulder strap always attached and i tuck it under the bag when on the bike so that when i detach it, it's a quick grab away. When on your shoulder, it feels and (to me) looks like a typical messenger bag. One neat thing I found was convenient is that the top zippered pocket is perfectly accessible so that I can leave my wallet and keys there.

Used it at night so no photos yet. Will get some next time I head out to starbucks to study. Btw, it holds my HP Elitebook 2530p 12inch laptop + my Kindle with room for 2 small takeout boxes wedged on top. So far I'm quite satisfied.

rwheelz
October 8th, 2010, 12:16 PM
How much?

setasai
October 8th, 2010, 04:24 PM
How much?

Cost me $124 + $9 shipping. It's fairly expensive when compared to the cortech sport tailbag, but I like the look of the kreiga much more. Especially when using it as a courier/messenger bag off the bike.

setasai
February 9th, 2011, 04:56 PM
So I've had this Kreiga US-20 for a while and here are my thoughts after using it daily for the last couple months for my commute.

I love the way it looks, and handles itself. I feel much more comfortable about the fact that it's strapped down at 4 points instead of bungee cords, which mean they stay tight and would never bounce around or off even if it were slightly loose. Expensive? Yea kinda but as much as I like form over fashion, I cant get over how normal it looks and how well it works. It makes the extra cost worth it over say the cortech tailbag I was looking at previously. I can fit several notebooks and my old iBook without any issues. I've also attached 2 10L stuff sacks exactly how the US-10's are supposed to be connected to it and it becomes a custom US-40.

One tip, unrelated to the kreiga, If you use a tailbag that uses straps and clips, expand the straps to their farthest intended use and then sew the ends. It makes resetting the straps when lengthening or tightening much easier, faster, and a bonus, they will never dangle around.

Forgot to add, If you're interested in how the straps are now tucked under the passenger seat, here's the thread.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62684

00NissanNinja
April 9th, 2011, 11:10 PM
So as not to fill up the other thread I was talking about this in, do you have any pics of the bag opened with stuff in it. Is there only one opening to the bag? Thanks:thumbup:

phr3ek
April 10th, 2011, 12:10 AM
So as not to fill up the other thread I was talking about this in, do you have any pics of the bag opened with stuff in it. Is there only one opening to the bag? Thanks:thumbup:

there is only one opening for the bag
and two out side pockets, one water proof, the other is just a rubber mesh

the inside looks like a nylon fabric trash bag, this is a removable waterproof liner

ive been able to stuff two size 7 shoes, 2 pairs of pants and 2 t-shirts
still enough room for maybe another pants

setasai
April 10th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Like phr3ek described. One opening with a waterproof white nylon lining. It looks like a trashbag but the fabric is very high end nylon. White so you can see inside it easily. The end rolls up and clips so that it becomes waterproof and to a certain extent, windproof because if I close it up empty, it's like a balloon for a while.

Here is a picture of it filled with textbooks. I fit my 1300 page physiology text, 1100 page biochem, and 1200 page organic chem texts in there. The top is a little tight so I doubt you'd fit anything else more than maybe a small notebook or folder. It is quite heavy at this point and feels no different from a filled messenger bag. There is still space to put a pencil bag before you roll up the opening I think. Hope that helps.

shiroganeshinobi
April 10th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Good review! I have the RS25 but sometimes I dont want to have a backpack. I'll definitely consider this. Thanks!

00NissanNinja
April 10th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks dude:thumbup:. I think you sold me on getting one for the days when I don't have loads of stuff to carry.

setasai
April 10th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks dude:thumbup:. I think you sold me on getting one for the days when I don't have loads of stuff to carry.

Haha, anything I can do to help. Next, hardcase and/or saddlebags of some kind. It's great for everything but grocery shopping. I just dont want to get it all dirty.

Good review! I have the RS25 but sometimes I dont want to have a backpack. I'll definitely consider this. Thanks!
Question: The RS-25 has 4 buckle clips. Does it look like you can use them to secure the backpack in a similar way the US-20 is secured on the tail? If so, the RS-25 might be a potential dual backpack/tailbag system worth using if you need backpacks. I only ask this because the buckles look like they're in a similar location and unless the dimensions are too bulky, it should be easily adaptable.

shiroganeshinobi
April 11th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Question: The RS-25 has 4 buckle clips. Does it look like you can use them to secure the backpack in a similar way the US-20 is secured on the tail? If so, the RS-25 might be a potential dual backpack/tailbag system worth using if you need backpacks. I only ask this because the buckles look like they're in a similar location and unless the dimensions are too bulky, it should be easily adaptable.

I'm not sure, I need to get the strap system to make it a tail bag. Looking at my pack the only problem I foresee is the front straps for the shoulders would hang off if wasnt fasten together somehow.

phr3ek
April 11th, 2011, 07:48 PM

they are there to attach the US-5/10/20 to the back pack

all kriega items are pretty much meant to attach to each other

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0024/2882/products/R2510_large.jpeg?16http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0024/2882/products/R25-5_large.jpeg?16http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0024/2882/products/R25F_large.jpeg?16

setasai
April 11th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I actually meant the circled buckles in the picture below. There isnt anything special with the buckles. Just buy some from REI.

What shoulder straps are you talking about? Just tuck everything under the bag and cinch it down.

00NissanNinja
April 16th, 2011, 06:52 PM
^Yeah I am curious about that as well. I know they are for cinching the backpack tightly together or using the US attachments but I wonder if you can use them to strap the backpack onto the tail like the US-20.

phr3ek
April 16th, 2011, 07:41 PM
you can but you would have to buy a separate set of straps

what mike meant by strap are the actual harness of the backpack
he's thinking strapping it to the seat reflective side down

setasai
April 16th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I see. Not sure how that would work. Buying those straps are easy. You can technically make your own from some 1inch climbing spec webbing and some buckles from REI. Would probably cost under $5. Still though, if that works, we'd have the option of US-20 for courier tail bag and the RS-25 for a backpack tailbag. Pretty cool combo I think.