View Full Version : Smoking deal on a very good helmet

RaceBikeRentals
October 7th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Picked one up myself :) These helmets are rated very highly. Price is right :)

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4891

austexjg
October 7th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I have been trying to decide about this helmet for a few months. I really would like to know about the wind noise level - I ride with ear plugs, but I really want a quiet helmet with the internal sun visor. Too bad the XS is sold out at that price.

Look forward to the personal review before I decide to buy.

Boosted139
October 7th, 2010, 10:14 AM
This is beyond temping, it's a shame I just bought a Bell Apex, but I may just have to pull the trigger on this one. Nothing wrong with having a bunch of helmet right? :cool:

*edit* Couldn't resist, had to get it

bob706
October 7th, 2010, 10:21 AM
That is a great price for that helmet. I have my heart set on an exo-900 helmet but I may have to rethink that now :thumbup:

DKB827
October 7th, 2010, 10:28 AM
that is quite the steal.....I have a 700 that is great and always wanted a 1000 so I definitely jumped on this :)

Thanks for the post

ally99
October 7th, 2010, 11:35 AM
In need of a new helmet after my recent spill. I LOVE the Scorpion helmets and always wanted a 1000! How cool that it includes an internal retractable sun visor! Sure wish they had an x-small with this deal, but I wonder if the air-adjustable cheek pads would mean that a small might fit. My head size has been defined as in between an XS and small. I hate to think of what that says about me. lol! GREAT find!

kkim
October 7th, 2010, 11:41 AM
My exo-700 ran a bit small so you might be able to go with a one size larger helmet than what you normally take. I had to go with an XL vs a LG that I normally buy.

Again, watch out for head shape when buying a helmet. I bought my Scorpion before knowing they run on the narrow side and regret doing so as it's not comfortable for me at all.

edbro
October 7th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Great price, I'm tempted, but could spend that $100 elsewhere.

wellcraft
October 8th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Bastard, you just made me spend $110.00 on a new helmet:D, and i just got a CF helmet for more than $500 a couple of weeks ago. I always wanted this helmet. I went today to cycle gear just to try them so I could not which was the best size for me.

Great find.

QUOTE=RaceBikeRentals;222433]Picked one up myself :) These helmets are rated very hcighly. Price is right :)

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4891[/QUOTE]

c-dog
October 8th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Saw this deal too. I passed on it for a few reasons - I like very plain helmets, solid colors without graphics. And I thought the gadgetry of the helmet might be a little much, I'm into simple things. Also after reading the webbikeworld.com review on it I decided a EXO-400 or EXO-700 would be a better buy for me.

But that $99 price really tempted me... It's funny you brought this up - I was almost pulling the trigger on this last night. Instead - I took a drive 1 hour away to a dealer today that had a solid black EXO-700 for $130, which I thought was an ok deal.

For people into more advanced helmets and gadgets this one is the ticket though. I was so close to buying this too but wanted a solid black.

rwheelz
October 9th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Bah! They are out of larges. Grabbed a medium hopefully I can stand it. Picked one up for my wife as well. Great score.

bamaland
October 9th, 2010, 03:45 PM
i almost went for this but when i found a shark s650 in my size and on clearance for just $59.99 from $239.99 i instantly hit buy :D

i like this helmet but i like the s650 more for a better view range

Boosted139
October 9th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Got mine today, shipped in 2 days. Like kkim said they do run a big smaller/narrower. Personally I previously had a small bell apex and ordered the small exo 1000. The 1000 is most definitely smaller, but for me it fits perfect as I was in between a bell apex extra small and a small.

As far as wind noise, I only can compare to my apex, but the 1000 is quieter. If anyone has any other questions, I'd be glad to try to answer them. I only wore the helmet for a short ride today, but will wear it for a full day of riding tomorrow. :)

c-dog
October 9th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Are you enjoying the visor feature? How does it compare to using a full tinted standard visor? Do you have to pump up the cheek pads very much?

My friend might be picking one up and he had these questions. Thanks!

Boosted139
October 9th, 2010, 04:23 PM
At first I thought the visor feature was not going to be near as good as a full tinted visor because I didn't think the visor deployed low enough. I was wrong and it does a pretty good job. It's not as complete as a full tinted visor in the sense that if you look down without moving your head, you'll look through a non-tinted section (if that makes any sense). Personally I am enjoying the visor feature so far just because of its ease of use and you don't need to switch out visors. The inner tinted visor is very easy to pull down on the fly.

As far as the pump goes, it's not just some gimmick that sounds cool. It legitimately works. The helmet fits me well, but a quick 10-15 pumps really snugs it up on my cheeks.

Again as kkim said earlier, the Scorpion helmets do seem to run narrow/smaller so as always I'd suggest trying on one before you buy (even if its a lower model and not the 1000) if you can.

c-dog
October 9th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to him. I told him he'd have to really move on the deal if he wanted to get one.

devmasa
October 10th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I am right between a medium and large..do you recommend buying a large size then?
I use a medium size on shoei..and that fits me perfectly.

want1sobad
October 10th, 2010, 06:30 PM
fyi - cycle gear has exo-1000's for $150 in more colors and sizes......

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5000&L2=43&L3=178&L4=&item=SCE_05-028-02-02_G&name=SCORPION_EXO-1000_Apollo_Full-Face_Motorcycle_Helmet

rwheelz
October 10th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Oooooh this medium may not fit me if they run small. By measurement, I am between a M and a L but they were out of larges. If I can't fit into the M, I will have to order one at $150 from the other site.

Where did you find the Shark helmet for $60?

RaceBikeRentals
October 11th, 2010, 08:42 PM
My exo-700 ran a bit small so you might be able to go with a one size larger helmet than what you normally take. I had to go with an XL vs a LG that I normally buy.

Again, watch out for head shape when buying a helmet. I bought my Scorpion before knowing they run on the narrow side and regret doing so as it's not comfortable for me at all.

Shoot KK, now you have me all skeeered. I had ordered a large, but now I'm thinking its going to be small. Went ahead and ordered an XL just in case... so for some of you looking for a large, I might have one for you :)

devmasa
October 11th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Shoot KK, now you have me all skeeered. I had ordered a large, but now I'm thinking its going to be small. Went ahead and ordered an XL just in case... so for some of you looking for a large, I might have one for you :)

dibs on the large one if my order for the large one doesn't go through

kkim
October 11th, 2010, 09:44 PM

Richard,

I really think it all depends on the shape of your head. I now know the Scorpions are not a good fit for me so the large I got was tight in the temples an cheeks. I need a round head helmet. Hope you get one that fits. :thumbup:

rwheelz
October 12th, 2010, 12:10 PM
2nd dibs on the large! I could not even order the Large it was not an option on the selection, they must have already sold out!

dchun
October 15th, 2010, 11:53 AM
thanks to this thread i am $110 poorer.

i needed to replace my aging HJC AC-12 so this was perfect timing.

the scorpion does run smaller than the HJC. I had a medium AC-12 and got a medium EXO 1000 and it is a little tight but it should be fine after a little break in.

according to STG the shell sizes for medium and large are the same so you could just buy the large size lining for $35 if you find the medium to be too small. i might do that if i find the helmet is still too snug after a few weeks of riding.

addy126
October 15th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Update on this deal...... as of 10/15/10 SOLD OUT of all sizes. Yay for Brian Van!!:D Now if they'd only mark down the white one I'd jump on the small..

Racer x
October 16th, 2010, 01:18 AM
I just love my Scorpion Helmet. The Scorpion helmet company is very active in supporting grass roots Motorsports.

I had an Aria before so I was worried the EXO might seem cheep , I was very happy with the fit feel and sound proofing. I have only raced with it once , But I have to say .I did not give a second thought to the helmet while at the track . It fit will was not hard to get on or off. and I love it. :thumbup: to Scorpion.

Ninja_Moose
October 17th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I picked one up as a spare, thanks for posting the deal.

FYI, I normally wear a Shoei large and the Scorpion in XL fits about the same.

addy126
October 17th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Went up to Cycle Gear today and had a look at the EXO 1000 Apollo. I'm passing on their deal which is pretty good. It's much heavier than all my other helmets, read that seals leak, and visor doesn't fit quite right. Nice lid but question the quality.

devmasa
October 17th, 2010, 11:23 PM
received my large Scorpion EXO 1000 from sportbiketrackgear.com on saturday.
I will give a detailed review once I test a couple of times on the freeway.
First impressions :
1) Weighs almost the same as my old Shoei
2) These surely run a size smaller than regular sizes.
3) Inflatable cheek pads are great.They work pretty well.
4) Anti-fog shield works well as promised
5) The retractable sun visor is a great addition however it is not 100% optically correct there is some distortion with the sun visor down but nothing too bad

dchun
October 18th, 2010, 08:08 AM
went for a ride yesterday with the exo 1000
some observations:
-much quieter than my HJC AC-12. might be due to the chin skirt.
-flows plenty of air
-internal visor is a nice touch. I used it for most of the ride.
-my initial impression was that it was heavy but after riding with it, i didnt feel it was that much heavier.
-it does run smaller than my HJC (i have medium for both) but its not too small for me. this might be an issue for those that are on the borderline between M-L but i think my head is right in the middle for M. order one size up if you feel M is on the snug side. the M and L shells are the same size so you can change the size by ordering a different size liner if you are going between M and L.

RaceBikeRentals
October 31st, 2010, 04:56 PM
I have a brand new size L available. $120 shipped.

rwheelz
October 31st, 2010, 06:35 PM
I have a brand new size L available. $120 shipped.

SOLD! Send it to me! Sent you a PM.

RaceBikeRentals
November 1st, 2010, 08:24 AM
PM sent. Sold!