View Full Version : mounting turn signals

bhalv
October 11th, 2010, 07:46 PM
anybody know if there is a regulation against mounting turn signals to your gas tank? wrecked the bike last week so the front fairing is gone and i figured out that the stock turn signals will thread into the fairing mounts on the gas tank.

sudapuff
October 12th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Im not sure on the law but if you putting different bolts in the faring mounts on the gas tank BE CAREFUL . i heard if you put too long of bolts in there you will puncture you gas tank http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_remove_the_fairing%2C_fuel_tank%2C_etc%3F

FrugalNinja250
October 12th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Second that bolt length issue. All it takes is a hair too long and you've punched holes in the tank and rendered it junk. I have yet to see a safe and permanent repair method, and new tanks are in the $600 range with shipping. Used they go for $200-400 but finding one in the correct year/color/graphic will be next to impossible. I'd figure out a way to mount them on the forks instead, say with angle brackets clamped in place with the lower triple clamp bolts.

bhalv
October 12th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Second that bolt length issue. All it takes is a hair too long and you've punched holes in the tank and rendered it junk. I have yet to see a safe and permanent repair method, and new tanks are in the $600 range with shipping. Used they go for $200-400 but finding one in the correct year/color/graphic will be next to impossible. I'd figure out a way to mount them on the forks instead, say with angle brackets clamped in place with the lower triple clamp bolts.

i might just work with the lower fork clamps, hadn't thought of that one

bhalv
October 14th, 2010, 01:15 PM
ended up ordering the the Asian Cycle flush mount turn signals and snatching the fairing off a parts bike.