View Full Version : Tankslappers are scary!

Flying Pig
October 16th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Housemate had one today.. and I just happened to have the GoPro on.. and facing backwards :angel:

jZk2eEiTf8k&hd=1

dubojr1
October 18th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Wow... did he run over something to cause it?

ally99
October 18th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Good question! What in the world caused that? I couldn't see anything other than maybe a TINY groove in the road, but it sure didn't look enough to cause that!

Apex
October 18th, 2010, 05:43 AM
I put a fairing on my GS500 back when I had it. Anything over 90 would result in the bars working their way towards a tank slapper. There was one stretch of road I'd go on just for fun to get my "quick thrill". I'd rack up some speed and I'd start to feel it. It would get pretty far along before I brought it back in. Now when it happens (which is rare on my 250), I just react the same way I did back then and I have never had one go out of control on me.

I may be lucky too. :p :D

A gust of wind is what always caused mine. It was how the fairing was shaped. When wind hit it just right, the front end would lift up just slightly, causing the bar wobble. Sometimes it was pretty bad, others not so bad. 90% of the time I could feel it right before it happened and tapped the rear brake to keep the nose down.

That one looked like a difference in lane height. Where the tires of a car run, looks like it packed down the asphalt. To my eye (I wear glasses, so that isn't saying much) it appeared that he was running right between the two "elevations". May have hit a bump, causing front suspension compression, then made a steering input. Since the front was light, it may have slid slightly. Once the weight came back down it bit and caused the wobble.

Of course, that is only a hypothesis.

Flying Pig
October 18th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Good question! What in the world caused that? I couldn't see anything other than maybe a TINY groove in the road, but it sure didn't look enough to cause that!

It would seem as if she hit the small grooves on the road. The tire got caught and tracked it.
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=336592
(Picture taken from Andy of SBR)

Here is her personal response on another thread:
Seriously, going in straight line in the mellow group. I hit a bump then the front tire landed in a crack in the road and lost control of the front for a few seconds. I was pretty sure i was gonna eat it. Andy got it. Aww still a good ride today. No major incidents no speeding tickets.
:ride

highpsiguy
October 18th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Yet one more reason I carry "wet-ones" and extra pair of underwear on the bike. SERIOUSLY though I do carry tp. That looked scary. Never happened to me on the street, but has happened on a dirt bike or two.

rockNroll
October 18th, 2010, 10:10 AM
My first thoughts are that there's something wrong with that bike. Have it checked over.

2WheelGuy
October 18th, 2010, 10:27 AM
:whathesaid:

DaBlue1
October 18th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Because the Ninja has narrow tires it is easy for it to do what some call tramming or tramlining. That is where the tire rides in and up or up and over a groove, making the rear or whole vehicle move from side to side or giving the feeling like it is.

spooph
October 18th, 2010, 11:07 AM
scary! No harm meant towards your friend, but it made me giggle. Just chillin, cruising, and then all of a sudden the bike has a conniption.... Good on your friend though! I saw that rear tire skip sideways quite a distance. I'm with Apex on this one. Although mine have never been as violent, I've experience such situations on the 250....

Flying Pig
October 18th, 2010, 01:31 PM
My first thoughts are that there's something wrong with that bike. Have it checked over.

I'll be going over the bike with her after we get some more free time. My first check was the forks at the seals, and they weren't leaking :thumbup:

Anyways, a local well-known rider has informed me on another forum that that spot is a popular "gotcha" zone, and the best way to avoid the incident is to avoid that particular part of the lane when riding there.
Let me play detective and guess where this tankslapper occurred Solomon.

- Hwy 1, southbound, in a long straight, in righthand 1/3 of the lane, in the section after Gazos Creek Road, about half-way before getting to the Swanton Road junction.

Is that right??? :smilewink

If so, can't tell you how many folks I've seen hit that patch and get a white-knuckle tank slapper out of it. Knowing of it, I always make it a point of being on a line in the rightmost 1/3 of the lane, in that section. Smooth sailing there! :thumbup

Believe that Heidi (Mightslip's wife) had one of those "moments" in that spot on Hwy 1, a few months back when doing one of the Saturday group rides on her Ninja 250. :eek

TrueFader
October 18th, 2010, 03:43 PM
ya my bike threw me into a tank slapper from the road dots on the freeway. was scray ****. what was even worse tho is afterward i had to take the exit and i had no front brake from the pads separating. i've been told that if the bike isn't on it's way toward settling after the stops hit 3 times you're probably gonna go down. mine only hit 4.

bob706
October 18th, 2010, 08:17 PM
That was a good save :thumbup:

peachdiddy
October 19th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Ahh yes. I had something similar to this happen to me due to a gust of wind. The ass slid out a bit, caught it, then to fight the wind I was riding at one hell of an angle. Everyone here's talking about crapping themselves, my cornhole could have stopped a missile I was so puckered! :S

CZroe
November 9th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Hmm. I get pulled into grooves all the time and it just tends to follow them.