View Full Version : rear brake making noises

Domagoj
October 17th, 2010, 10:32 PM
When i use the rear brake, and brake hard with it, i hear some sort of skipping sound, and the bike is shaking the rear and making it unstable.
Sound is similar (the same?) as when the gearbox engages in gear, that "click", but in rapid succession, and it stops when the bike stops moving or when i release the rear brake.

It is there whenever the rear is pressed hard enough, and its there regardless of the front brake or clutch being pressed or not, it appears just about the same time when the rear tire locks and starts to skip.

This worries me, a lot.

any ideas on whats causing it and how to fix it?

Alex
October 17th, 2010, 10:39 PM
You're locking the rear wheel. Stop doing that. :-)

(Use much more front brake and much less rear brake.)

Domagoj
October 17th, 2010, 11:29 PM
You're locking the rear wheel. Stop doing that. :-)

(Use much more front brake and much less rear brake.)

Right, but why do i hear metallic clicking? Locked wheel should not make that sound, or am i wrong?

Alex
October 17th, 2010, 11:33 PM
The wheel locking and unlocking is likely clicking the rear brake caliper a bit (it can move slightly in its carrier). Also, if the clutch isn't all the way in, locking the rear wheel even for a moment is sending a shock all the way through the drivetrain, momentarily stopping the entire engine and all of its moving parts, until the release of the brake allows everything to immediately restart. It can cause all sorts of noises, and ultimately cause you to lose control of the bike, especially if the locked wheel is allowed to start rolling again while it is out of line with the front.

It's a common problem for new riders to over-use the rear brake at the expense of the front. There's nothing wrong with your bike. :2cents:

/moved to riding skills area

onetruevibe
October 18th, 2010, 06:05 AM
These bikes have a rear brake?

:ride:

After taking the MSF, I was pretty intent on using both brakes, but my use of the rear has increasingly diminished. The front brake is your friend. :thumbup:

dubojr1
October 18th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I believe the standard is 70% use of front with 30% use of rear. I do however recommend newer riders to adjust that to maybe 90% front and 10% rear. The last thing you want to deal with is a locked rear tire. Bad situation!

ally99
October 18th, 2010, 09:54 AM
After taking the MSF, I was pretty intent on using both brakes, but my use of the rear has increasingly diminished. The front brake is your friend. :thumbup:

True, but rear brake can be your friend too, especially in low-speed, parking lot maneuvers or when trying to slow or stop w/ the bars turned. Using front brakes while bars are turned makes gravity your enemy...learned that the hard way. In parking lots, I'm always on the rear brake, and it smooths out those types of maneuvers and makes them more comfortable (for me anyway). I also use the rear when I'm nearing a stop w/ my bars turned. It makes me feel more confident that I can slow down while turning without worrying about the bike toppling over. Yes, front brake is my best friend of the 2, and I use it (and only it) at ANY regular speed slow or stop until I get to that snail's pace, then I add a little rear. Just my :2cents:

onetruevibe
October 18th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Using front brakes while bars are turned makes gravity your enemy...learned that the hard way. In parking lots.

Yea - that's a good point, Allyson. I won't argue with that.

Flashmonkey
October 18th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Yea - that's a good point, Allyson. I won't argue with that.

+1

Rear brake is pretty good at keeping the bike stable at low speeds. If you're in the habit of touching that front brake when the bars are turned, get out of it.

JeffM
October 18th, 2010, 09:41 PM
The front brake is your best friend and should be used all the time when stopping and slowing down.

When you need stop or slow down right-now, the instincts you learn while riding around are the ones you will use in those make it or break it situations. Practice, practice, practice.

I practice using the rear brake in coordination with the front; but lately, like Brian, I have been concentrating on using the front brake and learning its nuances. Adding rear brake will stop you quicker but being good with the front brake is the key.