View Full Version : My review on Chuckwalla Raceway

Nemesis
October 25th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Met up with a friend @ Anaheim Hills and we carpooled to Chuckwalla. The trip took us about a little pass 2 1/2 hrs to get there. I've never been to this track before and I've heard mixed things about the track. A few trackday riders (who are more than capable of racing & getting on the podium) said the track is smooth, wide & fun. While other people (racers) have said that the track flows too well making it a less challenging track.

A map of the track's layout:
http://richardsf1.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ChuckwallaValleyRacewayMap.gif

Here's my impression of Chuckwalla:

What an awesome way to end the season riding and hanging out with local forum members from Socalmoto.org. Luv' you guys! :thumbup:

I didn't know what to expect from this track so I took the '09 CBR600RR. I couldn't have taken the 250 anyways since I crashed the weekend before in my race.

This was my first time @ Chuckwalla and my impression of the track wasn't all that great based on the first two sessions. I felt the track was REALLY bumpy for a "NEW" track. But the track flowed no doubt. A bit too much IMO because that made for a lot of C riders to ride in B pace, and a lot of B riders in A pace. If you know what I mean. As for the turns all I saw were double apex turns after turns then a couple Buttonwillow "Lost Hill" type turns followed by a STEEP banked turn.

Was I impressed? Not really.

However, that all changed after the 3rd session. :D My friend Rudy who's been there more than a handful of times and is wicked fast lead us out there to show us the lines. I was 4th in line but Rudy and company pulled away from me because I got held back in traffic. Despite the bruise/broken ribs, something clicked inside and I got my WSMC race face on! :lol: I started to pass people left & right then another friend (Stephen) who was behind me out braked me into a turn and that just even got me all pumped up. Determined to pass him, we were headed into a double apex turn. We apexed the 1st turn then he drifted wide to set himself for the 2nd apex but I kept on the throttle till I passed him and drifted slightly out then back in. Now, that was exciting! I poached riders after riders till I caught up to Rudy and I was determined to poach him :lol: but the damn checkered flag came out. Dammit! Just my luck :lol:

So, what's my final impression of the track? The track is only bumpy if you take the wrong line. The track flows REALLY well so it's not hard to learn the lines. But what makes it hard/challenging about a track that flows so well is finding ways to pass riders without sacrificing your speed. That's the challenging part.

All in all, this has got to be my all-time favorite track. I couldn't stop thinking about the turns after leaving the track. :thumbup: If you haven't gone to this track, I HIGHLY recommend that you go. It's worth the drive & money. I kid you NOT!

This track is perfect for the Ninja250. The straightaways aren't too long and there are 17 turns--short & long! The track is SUPER wide and plenty of run-off room. Next time out, I'm taking both the 250 & 600. I can't wait!

Btw, that first "Lost Hill" turn (T8/T9) can really bite you BAD so watch out! :eek:

Rexbo
October 28th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Thanks! I'll be there next friday and hopefully get some ninja 250 video of it!

Nemesis
November 5th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks! I'll be there next friday and hopefully get some ninja 250 video of it!

Cool can't wait.

Next Friday (today), huh? Have fun and post that vid!

Rexbo
November 10th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Cool can't wait.

Next Friday (today), huh? Have fun and post that vid!

Sorry didnt get any video, but you definitely called it. This track is GREAT for the 250! You're really only going between 4th-5th gear the entire time, so acceleration is pretty much out, forcing you to carry as much speed as you can through the corners, and making you regret every time you touch the right hand lever!

The course is VERY smooth, except for some small bumps in turns 4-5, but there's still a TON of grip. Even so, the track is very easy on tires (or maybe I just wasn't going hard enough!). Very easy to find a pace on the track, but not so easy to get right every time, as most of the corners are double apex, or fast transitions that really force you to find the perfect line for you.

I want to go back again soon before I forget the course! Not as easy to learn as streets of willow, and not as bumpy and severe as Buttonwillow, definitely worth the trip.

Nemesis
November 30th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Glad you had fun!

Yeah, I'm itching to get back out there but considering how the weather's acting up I suspect it's going to be freezing cold thru February. So, most likely March for me. We'll just have to wait and see.

I'll most likely do both days so one day I can ride the 250 and the next 600.

I love this track...by far my favorite.

Hopefully we can get a bunch of 250 riders up there together and just OWN B or C group. LOL!

JS73
December 3rd, 2010, 09:18 AM
That track looks like a ton of fun. Talked to Ed Bargy about it last month, said he used some pro riders for feedback. Colin Edwards said it has a Jennings feel to it.
I would love to ride that track someday. But it's so damn far :(

Rexbo
December 3rd, 2010, 10:46 PM
I'm in for sure for a ninja rumble! Just need to find some good weekends when its not freezing cold/blazing hot!

nope
December 7th, 2010, 01:53 PM
in.

dino74
December 7th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Can't pass on a ninja rumble! I think thats Nope on the right.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3474/3841264209_f77b6780e1.jpg

nope
December 7th, 2010, 03:29 PM
hahahaha
k, that's hilarious.