View Full Version : Highway Riding

Snake
October 28th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Here are some highway riding tips I have learned through the years. If you have more please post them and I will add to the list on the original post.

1. Do not follow to close to the vehicle in front of you. -
Following too close lessens your reaction time when an obstacle (tire tread from big rig, dead animal,etc.) passes underneath the vehicle in front of you.

2. Stay to the left or right of the lane never in the middle. -
For the same reason as in #1. Obstacles tend to be in the middle of the lane.

Snake
October 28th, 2010, 09:20 AM
You can also ask a question about highway riding and through a discussion of past experience of myself and others we will come up with the best answer and add it to the list.

rockNroll
October 28th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Always use your signals when changing lanes while riding a wheelie

wvninja
October 28th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Always use your signals when changing lanes while riding a wheelie

^^^^LOL ..

3) Never try to race the guy that keeps trying to get you to race.
This seems pretty straight forward. Seems like almost everytime I'm on the highway someone tries to race me (speed up slow down speed up slow down) right beside me as if edging me on to just floor it. Most of the time I ignore them but sometimes when I see a problem that could occur i speed up and lose them then resume normal speeds.
4) Always pass a simi in a lane position furthest from it so that your seen "better"
Moving to the side of the lane furthest from the truck not only allows you to see more around you and the vehicle your passing. You don't receive as much pull from the air passing around the truck and you are more visible to everyone around you.
5) Never sit to long beside a big truck or van on the highway.
Sometimes this cannot be avoided and in stop and go traffic it maybe less of a risk. I feel (as most prob) that sitting beside a big truck or van is uncomfortable and it would seem that you can easily fall into a blind spot and find yourself being pushed out of your lane.

JeffM
October 28th, 2010, 01:06 PM
6) Try to use the far right lane for entering and exiting only.
Too many people flying around trying to get on and off the freeway.

CThunder-blue
October 28th, 2010, 01:53 PM
7.) When lane splitting (where allowed):

Slow down and check ahead before beginning to lane split. Many times, when traffic slows down it's because someone up ahead is trying to merge into a lane in medium/heavy traffic.

Keep a steady pace and not much faster (maybe +5mph) than surrounding traffic.

Make sure you have a space to slip into in case of emergency.

Bleak21
October 28th, 2010, 04:02 PM
8) If stuck in crawling or bumper to bumper traffic all around, follow a tractor trailer.
Since they drive manual too, they don't annoyingly fake you out by braking to the next car. Instead, like you the motorcyclist, they give it some gas and let the engine do its thing. Only at the very end do they use brakes, so you know when to actually stop.

Not to mention, they make great sunscreens in warmer weather or in glare if the position of the sun is right.

tjkamper
October 28th, 2010, 04:19 PM
The CARPOOL/HOV lane allows motorcycles for a reason. USE IT!

Bleak21
October 28th, 2010, 05:11 PM
The CARPOOL/HOV lane allows motorcycles for a reason. USE IT!

Oh wow... I didn't know this. I've sat in traffic for 30+ minutes while an HOV lane was beside me. THANKS!

edit** I may never follow my tractor trailer tip again! lol

Flashmonkey
October 28th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Oh wow... I didn't know this. I've sat in traffic for 30+ minutes while an HOV lane was beside me. THANKS!

edit** I may never follow my tractor trailer tip again! lol

Will this vary from state to state? You may wanna look into that haha.

JMcDonald
October 28th, 2010, 05:58 PM
9) Try to go slightly faster than traffic.

If you maintain speeds slightly faster than traffic, you pretty much only have to worry about what is between 11 and 1 O'clock. Also, especially on our bikes, you can stop much faster than you can accelerate at highway speeds. That means, if bad traffic is catching up to you or is surrounding you, it is much more difficult to quickly accelerate to get out of the way. Staying faster than traffic gives you that momentum to make those quick decisions. It also keeps soccer moms in their 6000lb SUVs off your butt.

I range from +5mph over the fastest traffic, to... more :P .

As far as Point 6), I would go even further and say stay in the leftmost lane possible (but only if going slightly faster). This keeps you from being surrounded by traffic and blending in. It also gives you one less point of threat. Of course, if you live in a city with several lanes on each side of the highway, and you will only be on for a mile, it might be an unnecessary headache (and risk) to try to get all the way over and back. But if you will be staying on there any length of time, I say stick to the left lane if traffic is anything more than leight.

Bleak21
October 28th, 2010, 06:31 PM

Actually I researched this a bit and it looks like a federal law in 1991 lets motorcyclists use HOV lanes in ALL states! @@@

Feds <3 motorcycles???

Flashmonkey
October 28th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Actually I researched this a bit and it looks like a federal law in 1991 lets motorcyclists use HOV lanes in ALL states! @@@

Feds <3 motorcycles???

Ah you lucky bastards! They don't let us use the HOV lanes up here :(

CThunder-blue
October 29th, 2010, 08:44 AM
There are still many places that don't have HOV/ Carpool lanes tho. I don't think St Louis has any, but it's been a year since I've been back.

Domagoj
October 29th, 2010, 09:50 AM
10) Always be aware of things behind you.
Even if you do go faster than most of other vehicles around you, there is a chance that someone is sitting on your tail. And when they do, they come very quickly. Move away and let them pass. You dont need someone so close to you at those speeds, because if it comes to hard braking, its you who gets creamed.

11) Beware of "forming" of jams.
Right lane usually gets stuck sooner, and you always have those wise guys who decide to go to left from standstill without checks or blinkers.

tjkamper
October 29th, 2010, 10:30 AM

This is from the DOT Website:

"Motorcycles are permitted by federal law to use HOV lanes, even with only one passenger. The rationale behind allowing motorcycles to use HOV lanes is that it is safer to keep two-wheeled vehicles moving than to have them travel in start-and-stop traffic conditions. States can choose to override this provision of federal law, if they determine that safety is at risk."

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freewaymgmt/faq.htm

So the feds says yes. Check with the HighWay Patrol in your area to be curtain they have not overridden this law in curtain areas. :rolleyes:

Blackwidow
October 29th, 2010, 10:37 AM
great thread...thanks Rick!

Snake
October 29th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Those are all great tips everyone. As soon as I can I will be adding some but not all to the original list. Some have some very good points but either they clash with exsisting laws or go against MSF training.

JMcDonald
October 29th, 2010, 08:33 PM
10) Always be aware of things behind you.
Even if you do go faster than most of other vehicles around you, there is a chance that someone is sitting on your tail. And when they do, they come very quickly. Move away and let them pass. You dont need someone so close to you at those speeds, because if it comes to hard braking, its you who gets creamed.

Ah, yeah I meant to clarify that I meant while there are fewer surprises if going faster than traffic, and this eliminates most from the rear, always keep an eye on traffic and such in all direction. Good call on my omission.

Bleak21
November 10th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Hey all, I just wanted to confirm that the HOV thing is TRUE!!!! I tried it out for the first time today and was in the lane but got stopped by a cop near the end (the end was the geroge washington bridge). I gave him my license and registration as he asked but said "sir I don't mean to disrespect your authority, but a federal law [written in the early 90's] stipulates I can use HOV lanes". He went in his car, said a word to his partner who confidently shook his head, then handed me my stuff back and said have a nice day!

WOOOOOOOT!!! 30 minute commute to midtown in rush hour from now on!!!! :D

SVBS
November 10th, 2010, 08:23 PM
.... he asked but said "sir I don't mean to disrespect your authority, but a federal law [written in the early 90's] stipulates I can use HOV lanes". He went in his car, said a word to his partner who confidently shook his head, then handed me my stuff back and said have a nice day!

nice , show the copper who's boss :thumbup:

caliente103
November 10th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Hey all, I just wanted to confirm that the HOV thing is TRUE!!!! I tried it out for the first time today and was in the lane but got stopped by a cop near the end (the end was the geroge washington bridge). I gave him my license and registration as he asked but said "sir I don't mean to disrespect your authority, but a federal law [written in the early 90's] stipulates I can use HOV lanes". He went in his car, said a word to his partner who confidently shook his head, then handed me my stuff back and said have a nice day!

was it a NY cop or NJ cop
Posted via Mobile Device

Bleak21
November 19th, 2010, 03:34 PM
oh sorry,

it was a port authority (neither) since it was at the gwb

Cab305
November 19th, 2010, 04:47 PM
12) Wear clean underwear so you have a record of the days events.

bluepoof
November 19th, 2010, 05:39 PM
13) If it's a long freeway trip, stop more often than you think you need to.
For all-day trips on the interstate, it' easy to fall into a zoned-out hypnotic trance as you pound mile after mile. Stop early and often for snacks, water (or refill a Camelbak), and to stretch/walk around. It'll keep you physically and mentally fresh.

Snake
November 19th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Great tips everyone!

Apex
November 21st, 2010, 04:23 PM
9) Try to go slightly faster than traffic.

I range from +5mph over the fastest traffic, to... more :P .

I live in Houston, my bike doesn't go fast enough to do that. :lol:

ninja3575
November 26th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Here are some highway riding tips I have learned through the years. If you have more please post them and I will add to the list on the original post.

1. Do not follow to close to the vehicle in front of you. -
Following too close lessens your reaction time when an obstacle (tire tread from big rig, dead animal,etc.) passes underneath the vehicle in front of you.

2. Stay to the left or right of the lane never in the middle. -
For the same reason as in #1. Obstacles tend to be in the middle of the lane.

for that second tip... at least here in California, the motorcycle handbook says to stay in the middle unless there is some heavy oil stains.. then of course you would ride to the right or left of center... Otherwise when following a car... you give them the minimum 2 second lead and you follow in the MIDDLE of the lane since the car in front of you can see you best from the rear view mirror as opposed to the side view mirrors... Also, if you tend to stick to the left side of the lane that can potential lead to cars coming into your lane thinking theres room...

So basically, when riding, occupy that portion of the lane that makes you most visible to everyone... which is near the CENTER... and thats my :2cents:

tapdiggy
November 26th, 2010, 06:24 AM
for that second tip... at least here in California, the motorcycle handbook says to stay in the middle unless there is some heavy oil stains.. then of course you would ride to the right or left of center... Otherwise when following a car... you give them the minimum 2 second lead and you follow in the MIDDLE of the lane since the car in front of you can see you best from the rear view mirror as opposed to the side view mirrors... Also, if you tend to stick to the left side of the lane that can potential lead to cars coming into your lane thinking theres room...

So basically, when riding, occupy that portion of the lane that makes you most visible to everyone... which is near the CENTER... and thats my :2cents:

I think if you use enough following distance, the most visible place to ride is to the inside of whatever lane you are occupying. On highways that have much big rig traffic, the asphalt gets rutted and the middle of the lane is higher than the outer sub-lanes. That makes stability an issue, having to constantly balance on a hump.

Snake
November 26th, 2010, 07:08 AM

Very good points Jimmy. The rest of you please comment on this and I will change the tip accordingly.

JMcDonald
November 26th, 2010, 08:33 AM
That is the first time I've ever seen anyone advocate riding in the center. I sure as hell won't be doing it, though. I can't stand not being able to see the road ahead. If you think someone is going to try to "share" your lane, then ride on the inside of that lane. That, or put your boot through their window when they try :P . But, being on the left side of the lane (assuming there is a left-side shoulder) gives you time to glide over (and requires you to only move a foot or two to avoid a collision, rather than several feet) if someone tries to pull in. I did have to go on the shoulder once when someone changed lanes without signaling when I was passing them. But I had intentionally moved to the opposite side of the lane when passing them, a set-up which made avoiding them that much easier. Had I been in the middle, it would have been a much closer call.

In almost 5000 city and in-city highway miles this season I have only ever once had someone pull out in front of me when I wasn't doing anything legally wrong. I was in the right lane of a 2&2-lane road, and there was a car ahead of me in the left lane. A left-turner from opposing traffic tried to turn behind the car ahead of me, almost taking me out. The thing is, I KNEW where I was riding was a dangerous place, but I was being lazy since I was turning right in a half mile. Never again.

Since then, it's all about seeing and being seen. In the MSF course, they show an example video of how riding to one side actually increases visibility to the driver in front of you. A LOT of this is because your headlight hits their mirror, whereas with most any truck or SUV it is too low to be seen in the interior rear-view mirror. If nothing else, you have to consider that relying on the rear-view mirror is not as safe because 1) vehicle's aren't technically required to have an interior rear-view mirror, and 2) again in many larger vehicles (and even a lot of smaller cars) they might barely be able to make out a section of your jacket and handlebars due to poor visibility in that mirror. In the side mirror they will be able to see much more, INCLUDING your headlight (which should be on bright during the day).

And following 2-seconds behind a car in the middle, good luck dodging that shattered chair in the road that pops out from under that car's bumper! Yeah, if you are robotically alert 100% of the time, I'm sure it would be fine. But we are all human and counting on one's own reaction time as the only saving grace, rather than taking advantage of simple environmental benefits to add to safety, is not a good idea. At least when riding on one side of the lane, you have at least one of two guarantees if an object ahead is directly in your path. First, the driver will swerve if he feels whatever is in the road will damage his tires, giving you a larger lead time to react. Or, second, his tires will hit the object, largely destroying it or moving it out of the way. I've seen these things happen on multiple occasions, and early on I've run over small things (like books and stuff) from absentmindedly riding in the center (even with 2 or more seconds behind).

Further, being on one side of the lane gives you an easy out should the car ahead quickly stop. This is not only to keep you from hitting that car, but more importantly it is you let you squeeze by while the car behind you skids into the exact location you would have found yourself.

Finally, even assuming the driver directly ahead can see you well in his rear-view mirror, nobody else can. The cars to his sides can't see you in any of their mirrors. The cars ahead of him can't see you in any of their mirrors. Remember, they can't see you if you can't see their faces in their mirrors. In heavy traffic I can look at the faces of people several cars ahead in their side mirrors.

The only time I am even momentarily in the center is when I am crossing to the other side of the lane to be seen. I am in the left side of the lane a good 95% of the time so I can see ahead and be seen by opposing left-turners (which, statistically, is the most common type of wreck between a car and motorcycle). However, if a car is trying to pull into traffic from the right side of the road, I will weave over there for a second or two to make sure they see I am there.

bluepoof
November 26th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I always ride to the lefthand side of the lane, unless there's an obvious obstacle there. I was taught that in the MSF and it's worked very well for me over the years.

I firmly believe that it gives you more space in the lane and makes it easier for drivers to see you (when I'm in a car and a motorcyclist is behind me in the righthand part of the lane, it can be difficult for me to see him/her).

I've never before seen anyone advocate riding in the center, either.

Note that when I say "lefthand side", I mean pretty much behind the driver -- NOT over on the very lefthand lane divider stripe. I see people riding on the freeway sometimes that are so far to the left or right that they're basically in the driver's blind spots...wtf?

Snake
November 26th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the input. I think I will keep it as is.

JMcDonald
November 26th, 2010, 01:06 PM
To me, riding behind the driver still puts you to the "inside" of their car, in which case they might still not be able to see you in the left side mirror. I often ride far enough to the left that I could reach my leg over and drag it on the center line if I wanted to. This again ensures I am quite visible to that driver, and gives me all the other advantages I mentioned.

I don't feel like you could be in their blindspot if you are still inside their lane and keeping an appropriate following distance. Even the most poorly-adjusted side mirrors will still allow the driver to see down the side of his or her car which, in my case, puts my headlight right in their vision.

But I am far more concerned about people turning across my lane from ahead, again in which case being to the outside of the car ahead makes me the most visible. I know that last bit is not really applicable to interstate riding, but still.

revstriker
November 26th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Great thread.

I never ride in the center of a lane. I always ride on the left or the right of the lane depending on the situation. Too many issues with the center of the lane.

bluepoof
November 26th, 2010, 03:34 PM
To me, riding behind the driver still puts you to the "inside" of their car, in which case they might still not be able to see you in the left side mirror.

I checked on my ride today (admittedly not on the interstate, so my following distance was a bit closer than it would be on the highway) -- every time I rode behind a driver, I could see his face in both his rearview and lefthand sideview mirror. That means he could see me in both of those mirrors. :thumbup:

nate-bama
November 26th, 2010, 04:16 PM
#3) Never try to race the guy that keeps trying to get you to race.
This seems pretty straight forward. Seems like almost everytime I'm on the highway someone tries to race me (speed up slow down speed up slow down) right beside me as if edging me on to just floor it. Most of the time I ignore them but sometimes when I see a problem that could occur i speed up and lose them then resume normal speeds.

most mininvans can beat a ninja on the high way lol

JMcDonald
November 26th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Ive only ever had one car try to race me, and thats because i was already riding "with spirit" on my own :P. But yeah youd have a hard time outrunning most cars on the highway heh.

And yeah you are prolly right, blue. But like I said, being seen by the driver in front of me is not a large concern of mine. However, being seen by several cars ahead and, more importantly, several cars behind, is much more likely if you are positioned well to the side.
Posted via Mobile Device

bluepoof
November 26th, 2010, 05:51 PM
And yeah you are prolly right, blue. But like I said, being seen by the driver in front of me is not a large concern of mine. However, being seen by several cars ahead and, more importantly, several cars behind, is much more likely if you are positioned well to the side.

From what I can tell from what you've posted, you and I are in violent agreement. :D :thumbup:

TrueFader
November 26th, 2010, 06:01 PM
i ride in the tire tracks so debris cant sneak up on me from under the car in front of me. also keeps me close to an escape route if needed.

JMcDonald
November 26th, 2010, 06:40 PM
From what I can tell from what you've posted, you and I are in violent agreement. :D :thumbup:

Hahaha, well sounds good!

ninja3575
November 29th, 2010, 10:56 AM
In my initial post I stated that you should stay away from the left side of the lane... That was actually meant to be the OUTSIDE of the lane... sticking to far to the outside (which makes it the way right side of the lane) gives the appearance that the lane is open and cars may accidentally try and slip in next to you.

Next, I stated that you should give the car ahead a MINIMUM 2 second lead... A minimum means of course that anything closer is dangerous... and in practice, I give them far more than that.

As far as riding the center... Thats just what is stated in the California Handbook in order to obtain the license/permit... I didnt advocate riding directly center, and given certain circumstances riding the direct center can be a potential danger... I prefaced that comment with the need to ride where you can be MOST visible... so if you feel the inside portion where you'd appear in the left side review mirror is best... by all means do so...

I for one when driving my car... Look through the rear view mirror the most...

When I jump aboard my ninja... I cant say that I stick to any portion of the lane in particular... when the lanes are empty i occupy the center if its the smoothest part of the lane... if its oil stained, I'll stick to the left of center... In heavy traffic... I just ensure that i'll be visible to them in their rear view... and if you hang back far enough, doesnt matter if your right or left of center, they can see you through the rear view...

anyway, I've been really enjoying this thread and all the posts... I say listen to those with the most mileage under there belts... Be safe ! :D

JMcDonald
November 29th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I say listen to those with the most mileage under there belts... Be safe ! :D

I've met a few guys who have been riding quite a while and a lot of the reason they are still alive is dumb luck. Seriously, I've seen them ride in the center in heavy traffic, while tailgating, or riding 5 below the speed limit in the left lane on the highway, forcing car after car to squeeze around them. So, I wouldn't take everything one says for gospel just because they have more miles.

Also, if all someone does is make a cross-country trip once per year and put 5000 open highway miles on the bike in two weeks, that is a lot different than the guy who put 5000 miles in a season riding to work through rush-hour highway traffic. They both put 5000 miles a year on their bikes, but the guy who does it day in and day out through much more dangerous conditions will have gained more practical experience for safe riding. So, again, mileage provides direct evidence for neither useful riding knowledge nor relevant experience.

If you are looking for metrics by which to judge information, go by what makes the most sense and or is backed by the most logical evidence.

*edit*

And I, too, very much enjoy these discussions and what I've learned from them :) .

ninja3575
November 29th, 2010, 06:43 PM
If you are looking for metrics by which to judge information, go by what makes the most sense and or is backed by the most logical evidence.

I stand corrected ... :D I've only put in about 600 miles on this little ninja... city mileage under some heavy local traffic... Had 5 close calls, and all as a result of those in their auto's not paying attention ... some using cell phones and others using their vanity mirror... and of those 5 close calls... 4 were women drivers :eek: I'm not trying to imply anything... just pointing out a recent trend ;)

Anyway, I agree... literal mileage means nothing if theres nothing "upstairs" or they havent had enough time in day to day city riding... So for those about to hit the road for the first time... or even the seasoned veteran...

Watch out for women drivers ! :p J/k

JMcDonald
November 29th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Best advice yet :) .

I am due for 5k miles this week, actually. Started riding daily in June, sold my car in August :P . Been averaging about 40 miles per day or so, mostly city riding with a few miles of intra-city highway riding here and there.

bluepoof
November 29th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Watching out for cell phone drivers is a great tip for this thread! It seems like waaaay too many times that I see someone driving erratically, I'll get up next to them and they have a phone attached to their ear (or worse, they're texting).

So, what number are we on?

14. Keep your distance from drivers that look distracted.
Cars weaving in their own lane or changing speeds for no apparent reason often have distracted drivers. Either speed up to get them behind you (safely, of course!), change lanes, or let them fly past you.

tapdiggy
November 29th, 2010, 09:25 PM
15. Ride like a "Lifestyler"
Sometimes, the easiest way to be seen is to ride like people are watching. That is not to say be a "stun'ah", more like a "biker". Try to exude arrogant superiority over the cagers around you, real or not.;) It is gonna get you noticed more often than not.

JMcDonald
November 29th, 2010, 09:27 PM
How about this?

16) In an emergency situation, be prepared to move laterally as well as to slow.
When someone changes lanes without signalling into the spot you are about to pass through, or someone slows down all of a sudden when they see their exit, consider going left or right, rather than stopping or abruptly slowing. First, you don't want traffic behind you barreling into you. Further, especially on these bikes, it is going to take a bit to get your speed back up, which means during this time you will be at the mercy of drivers behind you. Finally, going left or right tends to give you more time to react than just panic slowing / stopping. Think about if a

I have only significantly slowed once when someone switched lanes into me. My chirping rear tire got them to move back over. There was a curb to my right, but even still I got as close to it as possible during this event to give me more time to slow down without lodging myself into the bumper of the car behind me.

Every other time something like this has happened, I have just gone around, including another case like the above. The car was in the turn lane in a 3-lane road, and suddenly merged back into the strait lane. I just went around to the right, about a foot away from the curb. There was too much traffic behind me to risk an abrupt stop.

Another time, I was merging onto a city street with its traffic moving about 45mph. the car ahead of me got scared and stopped. I was leaning pretty hard, building momentum for my entry, when this happened. Instead of just stopping and possibly getting squished from behind, I steered into the turn to raise the bike back up, then I went to the right of the stopped car and went on my way.

On another onramp, a driver a few cars ahead again panicked and stopped. The two cars between me and her slammed into the back of her in a 3-car pileup. I slowed down because I didn't know if they were going to end up blocking the whole onramp as I passed, but I was watching traffic behind me to make sure I didn't need to just go for it.

I've also had two cases of having to ride on the shoulder when someone moved over to where I was. Both times, moving to the shoulder gave me much more time to make a safe decision, rather than abruptly slowing and hoping I don't have any trouble from behind. One of these times I was able to slow enough to merge back in behind the offending driver without really affective traffic further back. The other time I was going fast enough that I was able to just go around the car on the shoulder.

In all of these, by far the scariest was in the first case when I had to get on the brakes. This was both because that was a last resort given the circumstances, and because I was trying to draw the fine line between braking too much and having traffic run up on me, and not braking enough only to have her rear bumper knock my front wheel out frm under me.

*edit*

As far as the above, actually that kinda makes sense. Riding like you own the road rather than hiding amongst traffic can help keep you seen and thus help keep you safe. This could just mean anything from trying to stay ahead of the patch of cars around you, to occasionally changing lane positions or even lanes just to add horizontal movement to catch the eyes of drivers behind you.

ryu hayabusa
November 30th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Ah you lucky bastards! They don't let us use the HOV lanes up here :(

i resent that remark, however i would have accepted "S.O.B." and turd.... lol