View Full Version : CHEAPPPPP One Piece Leather Suit!

RaceBikeRentals
November 3rd, 2010, 01:20 PM
Not awesome quality, but CHEAP!

http://www.cyclegear.com/in-store/

Looks like its this one: http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=FTL_FTL300-BR-38_G

austexjg
November 3rd, 2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the heads-up - heading there in the morning, they are a holding an all black one for me.

ChaosFromAbove
November 3rd, 2010, 03:50 PM
hmm...i'm tempted...but it seems those leathers have a lot of bad reviews. everything from not fitting well to poor stitching...anyone know anything about this suit?

2WheelGuy
November 3rd, 2010, 03:56 PM
I've seen a lot of blown seams on Frank Thomas suits at the track.

ChaosFromAbove
November 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
rawr...i hate not having enough money for a good one piece =\

austexjg
November 4th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Well I decided to pull the trigger and bought a set of these. Funny thing, when I entered the store an employee was on the phone looking for a set for himself - this price is cheaper than the employee discount.

All this time I thought I was a 42 - glad I bought one in-store instead of online. Turns out I needed a 40.

Sure, this suit does not compare with the Dianese one that I tried on, but the additional $1000 I could not justify at this point. The XTi II suit seems to be a great product for the price - the fit was spot on with a little extra room in the back for a spine protector. My Sidi Vortice fit perfectly with the pant leg tucked inside. I'm happy about the purchase considering the great price. The guys at the shop were surprised when I pulled out the coupon at the last second. I was the first person to show up with one, and the guy looking for one on the phone when I first arrived, had been trying to find it after an employee from another store called looking for a suit in his size and spilled the beans about the coupon.

Thanks again Richard for the heads up.

ChaosFromAbove
November 4th, 2010, 04:35 PM
lol thats awsome! I too decided to get them, figured cheap protection is better then none. So I drove 45min to bear delaware to pick one up. I also thought i was a 42 so good thing it was an in store only deal. Turns out im a 44 :( (on a side note, we need some offensive fat people smilies). Oh and on the way home, about 1/4 mile from the store I get rear ended (in my truck). Thanks to the rain, while i was changing lanes a girl speeding saw me at the last second and tried to dodge me, clipped my bumper (leaving a small dent) and ripped her headlight and fender off. I decided to be nice and am not gonna file a claim :thumbup:

rockNroll
November 4th, 2010, 06:46 PM
she was a hottie so I decided to be nice and am not gonna file a claim :thumbup:

fixed it
:D

ChaosFromAbove
November 4th, 2010, 06:59 PM
fixed it
:D

:rotflmao:

Rexbo
November 4th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I've seen a lot of blown seams on Frank Thomas suits at the track.

YUP! Friend of mine had 3 blown seams from going down on the track at around 25 mph... would have been bad had it been faster!

ChaosFromAbove
November 5th, 2010, 05:19 AM
YUP! Friend of mine had 3 blown seams from going down on the track at around 25 mph... would have been bad had it been faster!

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

JeffroJ
November 5th, 2010, 05:53 AM
I've used that suit for the last race season. Went down twice, one low side at Jennings (T9), and one high at Barber (museum turn), both times were in the rain at around 45-50 mph. Suit held up great and no blown seams on mine, still using it. But, I would say that the leg cuffs are bit large and get annoying to stuff in the boots.

ChaosFromAbove
November 5th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I would say that the leg cuffs are bit large and get annoying to stuff in the boots.

i noticed that too...kind of hurts my outer ankles. It's because of where the seam is on the doubled up part, i found moving them around til i got a comfortable spot worked, i'll be testing them on an actual ride tmrw.

austexjg
November 5th, 2010, 09:13 AM
The leg cuffs are a bit larger than I would like - might have them altered if the price is right.

JeffM
November 9th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Bought one too. Noticed the same thing about the leg cuffs; however, a little adjusting goes along way. I had been eye-balling the XTi suit for quite a while and held off because the original XTi looked a little sketchy. The gen 2 version (the one I bought) seems a lot better quality than the 1st gen version. I do not race but feel that the suit will do fine for canyon rides and some track days. It fits me well except for being a tiny bit loose around my bird leg thighs. I figure some padded shorts underneath will adjust that.

wyckedflesh
January 4th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I waited, and waited and waited...and picked one up last weekend on "blow out clearance" for $199.

The biggest comment regarding FT's and their seams, the suits are cut for comfort, so are meant to be lightly snug, and not snug-tight.

CC Cowboy
January 5th, 2011, 03:10 PM

What track was that?

Did he get rear ended for going so slow?

Was he in the pits?

I could keep going but I still think it's just too laughable.