View Full Version : Turning Signals..

supermanzdead
November 6th, 2010, 08:11 PM
...as you all know, I am new to riding and one of the hardest things for me is turning the turning signal off. I am sure that sounds lame but after driving a car for so long and not having to worry about it I forget all the time. (I am sure I look real smart with the left signal on for half a mile..)

If it is dark out the flashing green light usually catches my eye fast but in the middle of the day when the sun is out I tend to miss it.

Did you have this problem?

00NissanNinja
November 6th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Yep for the first couple of weeks I sometimes forgot it was on. Eventually you get used to it. I got in the habit of turning it off right after I finish my turn. You should just try to poke at it every once in awhile to turn it off to be sure its off till you get used to turning it off

kkim
November 6th, 2010, 08:30 PM
develop a mental checklist.

supermanzdead
November 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I am typically coming out of turns and upshifting and forgetting about the signal...

I am sure it will take some getting used to, I was better today but I had to think about it. I will hopefully get to where I don't have to think about it...

Flashmonkey
November 6th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I press to cancel the signal button every 2 or 3 minutes or so. It's second nature now. I even give it a press or two when sitting idle at lights.

supermanzdead
November 7th, 2010, 07:37 AM
You must be very fidgety...lol

JeffM
November 7th, 2010, 07:57 AM
It becomes a habit to push the switch after each turn. I check my signal switch when I check my mirrors.

It really isn't being fidgety. Canceling the signals can save you from getting mowed over by a cager.

Ever hit the horn button instead of the turn switch?:rolleyes:

supermanzdead
November 7th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I have hit the horn on accident a few times...but it is just the stock horn that isn't really loud enough to hear...LOL

JMcDonald
November 7th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Before I got my license, but couldn't keep myself off the bike, I spent several hours just riding around my parents' neighborhood (after many more hours in a nearby parking lot practicing stops and the box test :P ) , and got into the habit of using my signal EVERY time I made any turn, and deliberately canceling it afterwords. I think that helped a whole lot in developing my habit, but I still did it a few times during real riding.

Now I find myself subconsciously pressing the switch to cancel, probably every 20 or 30 seconds of normal riding. It's a good habit because I can remember a couple of times I've felt it click (turning the signal off) when I didn't think I had left it on. So, I think this is a pretty good habit. Though at times it is [comically] annoying because at long lights I will continually, subconsciously turn off my turn signal when I really mean to have it on, haha. But hey, I'd rather accidentally turn it off while I'm sitting in the turn lane, than accidentally leave it on and have someone pull out in front of me thinking I'm going to turn.

RedCromwell
November 7th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I have hit the horn on accident a few times...but it is just the stock horn that isn't really loud enough to hear...LOL

I too, hit the horn every now and then by accident. Usually I never find it when I do want to "beep" at someone.

I used to always forget to turn my turn signals off, but now I always remember... unless, something happens during my turn/lane change to distract me.

Havok
November 7th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I press to cancel the signal button every 2 or 3 minutes or so. It's second nature now. I even give it a press or two when sitting idle at lights.

+1 I do this as well.

supermanzdead
November 7th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I did better today, only left it on once...been riding all day...

tapdiggy
November 7th, 2010, 07:38 PM

I do that too. my signal switch has failed to cancel several times, so I neurotically jab at it periodically.

onetruevibe
November 7th, 2010, 07:59 PM

Funny how many people do this. I do it too...maybe even more frequently. When I used to smoke, I used to subconsciously and continually flick my cigarette to kick off ash. The turn signal switch is a similar fidget for me.

I guess it's better than picking my nose. :thumbup:

rockNroll
November 8th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Get into the habit of leaving your thumb on the button until you've completed the turn and are ready to cancel the signal.

Flashmonkey
November 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I do that too. my signal switch has failed to cancel several times, so I neurotically jab at it periodically.

Haha yeah mine too. In fact, the signal button on my current bike is actually quite stiff and probably a little corroded so I sometimes I hold the damn thing down to cancel.

kkim
November 8th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Haha yeah mine too. In fact, the signal button on my current bike is actually quite stiff and probably a little corroded so I sometimes I hold the damn thing down to cancel.

spray some teflon based lubricant in there and work the switch a few times.

Flashmonkey
November 8th, 2010, 02:30 PM
spray some teflon based lubricant in there and work the switch a few times.

Thanks, Kelly. That's definitely on the to-do list as the switch has gotten progressively worse since I got it. I'll lump that in with the other winter-time work that I have laid out. :D

kkim
November 8th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks, Kelly. That's definitely on the to-do list as the switch has gotten progressively worse since I got it. I'll lump that in with the other winter-time work that I have laid out. :D

takes 2 seconds. :suspicious:

Flashmonkey
November 8th, 2010, 06:59 PM
takes 2 seconds. :suspicious:

I keep forgetting. It's like a condition :D