View Full Version : Wind gusts. I know what the answer will be but...

JeffM
November 7th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I want to see what your reactions are to when a gust of wind pushes you off line in a corner. Could a big gust cause a low side?

The proper response to a big gust, I'm sure, is to relax and go with it but crap, it is hard to ignore.

JMcDonald
November 7th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I think the correction one would make after being hit by a gust would be the cause of a crash.

Despite living in OK, the first time I was hit by a gust in the middle of a harder corner was today, actually. I was hanging off and doing about 55mph, and I did notice it, but it wasn't unnerving or anything. But then again, I do live in live in OK, so being surprised by the wind would be like getting surprised when rain comes out of dark clouds :P .

One stretch with that nice tailwind allowed me to do 110 on the speedo, though (101mph actual :) ) .

spooph
November 7th, 2010, 11:55 AM
If it's windy out I tend to keep it a gear higher than I normally would, to have power. A gust of wind hits, my first reaction is to twist the throttle and grip with my legs simultaneously. Being relaxed on the bars, the bike will drop, but stay straight. Someone is going to disagree with me on this, but if the cross wind is greater than your forward speed (50mph gust at 35mph), it might be better to shift your weight to the inside of the "turn"... You are you, and so you're going to have to figure out what you find to be the best for you.... Experience is the best teacher.

Alex
November 7th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I found this link in the sticky at the top of this area, it might have some good tips...

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11498

FrugalNinja250
November 8th, 2010, 06:44 AM
I've had strong wind gusts push me all the way to the outside shoulder of a turn, almost lowsided there. Another time (same day, gusts over 50 mph!) I was going straight down the freeway at around 70 with the wind coming from my right front at a steady 40+. Another gust hit and lifted the front enough to unload the front tire and cause it to hop over a foot. I barely avoided lowsiding there as well, and dropped my speed to 55 which helped dramatically. I'm never riding in winds like that again.