View Full Version : What would we do....

dubojr1
November 11th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I'm curious to know how others were reacting this morning when the board went down. I was steady trying to refresh IE hoping that was the only issue. I even restarted my work PC a couple of times thinking that would surely fix the problem. :fightputer:

Becoming a nervous wreck the longer is was down, I had almost decided to call our IT guys to see if they had blocked it. :mad:

Finally it was wonderful to her my iPhone "blong" telling me I had email. It was a thread notification. A quick refresh of IE on the PC and things are working again. :dancecool:

Man I was feeling as if I had lost my best friend.... Do I need to get a life or what? :rolleyes:

Thanks Alex for getting us up and going again. Much appreciated! :allhail:

backinthesaddleagain
November 11th, 2010, 11:49 AM
haha -I was busy all morning so didnt notice. Another forum I am on was down for a couple days recently (well the posts were missing but the header was there). You think someone on that site would have posted a message up like Alex did.

Alex
November 11th, 2010, 12:00 PM
No worries, happy it's back up and running as well. :thumbup:

Here's the notice I put up a short while ago, and will take down later today:

Sorry folks. I let the disk space creep up there, and this morning we hit a limit, which took the forums offline for a few hours. My bad. We're back up now, nothing was lost, other than the accumulated wisdom that would have been posted over the past 3 hrs. :)

This forum runs on a reasonably sized VPS (more info on what a VPS is in this thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=92180&postcount=18)). One of the unique traits of a VPS is that you want to keep the portion of used disk space to total disk space pretty high, to better manage the total disk space on the physical server, and also to speed the production of daily backups of the slice.

So if for example the forum really needs 7 GB of space, the slice might only be at 8 GB total space. Not usually a problem, as the logs autorotate, the pics loaded here are resized to reasonable amount, etc. I don't think we've added more than a GB or 2 in the entire past year, in fact. But, things crept closer to the limit in the past week or two and I didn't get around to confirming old logs were deleted, and some other tweaks you can do to limit space usage. But once I realized things were down (I do get automated messages when the site is down, so I knew about it while on the train this morning, but didn't have a free moment to deal with it until later in the day), I had our host bump up the slice size by a couple GB, and once that was done everything came back up without a hitch.

Running a dedicated server with a large amount of disk space (Heck, I've got 5TB+ in my home systems alone!) will make sense at some point, but in the meantime we just don't need it and the costs don't yet justify it.

Happy posting, folks! :p

Alex
November 11th, 2010, 12:09 PM
/thread moved to Forum Info

(but link will remain here in Off Topic for a week as well)

areifel
November 11th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Hahaha my iPhone beeped also. That's how I knew it was back up.

kkim
November 11th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I was fine... really... I was....

:crazyloco::Cry::faint::help::hitputer::hurt::ibeenripped::jaw::juggle::mmph: :ohno::ohwell::nono::playball::pray::rant::runaway2::sad: :suspicious: :taz: :tape2: :yield:

dubojr1
November 11th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I was fine... really... I was....

:crazyloco::Cry::faint::help::hitputer::hurt::ibeenripped::jaw::juggle::mmph: :ohno::ohwell::nono::playball::pray::rant::runaway2::sad: :suspicious: :taz: :tape2: :yield:

Yep... if my emotions this morning could be seen, they would look just like your smilies! :)

Snake
November 11th, 2010, 07:51 PM
During my training I don't have access to a computer so I did not notice. Glad to see it is back up.

Alex
November 11th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Turns out that it was definitely my fault. :hitself: I updated the backup software a few days back, and it was now writing in a slightly different directory, so it was doubling the space needed to hold the backups as the old ones were still there. That's what caused it to run into the disk ceiling, and once realizing that, we're well below the limit and will be for quite some time. (using < 5GB and now have 10GB space to play with).

dubojr1
November 12th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Everyone is allowed to make a mistake or two... Keep it to a minimim though for our healths sake. :rolleyes:

Alex
November 12th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Keep it to a minimim

So this one was yours? :p

dubojr1
November 12th, 2010, 11:19 AM

:hurt: understood...:ashamed20:

ally99
November 13th, 2010, 04:20 PM

LOL! Alex, you don't miss a THING!