View Full Version : Advice for track day in the rain

dino74
November 16th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Looks like I jumped the gun too early. Signed up for two days at Streets of Willow and now the forecast is calling for rain this weekend. :( Even if it rains, I'd like to try at least one day in the rain but I'm looking for some advice. How much can I safely push my bike around corners? I have no idea about the limits of a 250 in the rain.

Some background on me and my bike:
This would be my 4th track day. I can lean / corner fast enough to consistently drag knee if needed.

Bike:
Used and abuse '09 250. (Fairings are already scratched)
Tires: BT-045 with good amount of thread.

ithaca00
November 16th, 2010, 07:24 PM
A good amount actually. Definitely not 100% but pretty quick. Just take the first few laps easy and progressively ramp up the speed. Look for standing water and avoid it if it's mid turn. Also, you may want to drop the pressure in your tires a pound or two, depending on how cold it is (water sucks heat away from the tires).

almost40
November 17th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Take it easy, its a trackday not a race. SMOOTH SMOOTH SMOOTH. SLOW SLOW SLOW. No need to try to press it, too much anyway.

dino74
November 22nd, 2010, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the advice and I had a great time in the rain. It definitely made me very aware of how smooth or not smooth I was. I found that when it cleared in the afternoon, the awareness remained. Unfortunately, I crashed :( on the dry track. I post more about this later as I have some questions about it.

Nemesis
November 22nd, 2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the advice and I had a great time in the rain. It definitely made me very aware of how smooth or not smooth I was. I found that when it cleared in the afternoon, the awareness remained. Unfortunately, I crashed :( on the dry track. I post more about this later as I have some questions about it.

That sucks but all part of learning.

Post up pics and vid if you have any.