View Full Version : gotta love patriotism

sombo
November 16th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Not sure how many are aware of this story. However, it seems that a middle school in California told 13 year old Cody Alicea, that he had to take down the American flag he has been flying on the back of his bike. They told him it was because of safety concerns because some students were uncomfortable with it. They claimed that it was making him a target. Therefore they banned him from displaying his patriotism with the American flag on the back of his bike while in America.

The school district got a lot of feedback about this from around the world. They quickly lifted the ban and issued an apology. On Monday morning Cody led a small parade of bikers (apparently from Patriot Guard Riders) and towns folk to school with everyone waving American flags. Here are a couple of videos of this event.

6U2hB-Pz4zs&NR=1

mQtizxN6l5o&feature

Cazper
November 16th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Wow... this is the first I'm hearing of this one... Sad that he was originally told he couldn't fly the flag. Glad it was overturned.

Proudly serving my country
Staff Sergeant Jewell, Dustin J.
United States Marine Corps

Taurfox82
November 16th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I remember hearing a little bit about this, so glad about the turnout. When is America going to wake up.

*salute* to the boy, this coming from prior 926th Hvy Eng Bttln, Alpha Company, out of Alabama.

TonyKZ1
November 17th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Excellent! Glad there was enough opposition to make them change their minds.
Thanks for posting this.
Tony

Bleak21
November 17th, 2010, 06:39 PM
What the F*** was wrong with the person who made that decision in the first place? Idiots like that really prove the idiom "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach".

I understand it was out of fear of reprisal due to the history of displaying the foreign mexican flag in school, but even then, are we not allowed to display diversity. This is arguable I can see.

But unsafe to display your OWN flag on your OWN soil? This undermines the very principles of sovereignty western civilization was built upon. What a slap in the face to the ability of servicemen/women who fought to protect the US and the dignity of our very citizenship. Good letter by the congressman btw.

Cab305
November 17th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I don't think he's a target anymore!

Team America F-ck Yeah!

sombo
November 18th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I like this quote used in the PVT Murphy's Law comic. I think it's fitting for this topic.

http://www.pvtmurphy.com/strips/full/memorial-Day-2008.jpg

scotty
November 18th, 2010, 09:21 PM
This is such a good story, and makes me mad to no end that the school would even think that he couldnt have an american flag.