View Full Version : Technical ?

Cab305
November 18th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Something has been bothering me since september.

I was at Miami Homestead Speedway track day, I just had a pair of bt003s put on. I was running late for my first session so when I picked up my bike from tire vendor, I din't go over it. (Lesson learned don't rush) It was the orientation lap so I didn't want to miss it. This is my current street bike so there is no safety wiring.(soon to be remedied)

Well the bike felt really wrong right from the go, I din't want to push the new tires so I was riding very timidly. It just seemed squirley. By the second lap, my mind was all over the place I was completely out of the proper line, and I had to ride her out into the grass.

Sure enough I knew not to touch breaks, but it didn't matter I dropped it on the left side and slid on the grass. My gear shifter got mangled so I had to call the truck to come get me. When I got back to the pits, I was looking over the bike with my buddies pit mechanic and we noticed that the 4 nuts behind the rear wheel spacer were hand loose.

This is what's killing me.... could a simple drop in the grass cause those bolts to come completely loose, or did some assh_le almost kill me cause he forgot to tighten them after changing tires? I told the guy afterwards, and he tightened them up and played it off like it was crash.

Could having those loose make the bike feel squirlie, of course right? In my mind I don't trust myself to remember if bike was that loose or was it just my nerves because of fresh tires (everyone scared the crap out of me telling me how they would be super slick first laps, etc...)

Either way, my thumb is healed (sprained it on grass) and I'm getting ready for December track day, still need new rear set. Still feeling a bit nervous from falling, I know I need to just get back out there.

But I'm a bit scare.... hold me cowboy.

ztrack157
November 18th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I would have been more worried with tire pressure being accurate.

Cab305
November 18th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I've ridden the bike on the street and top speed on highway and it felt fine. Tires have definitely way more grip.

The tire vendor is a track guy, I was very specific to ask him to check pressure, then I went of to rider meeting, suit, pee break, etc... by the time I got bike back, my group was rolling out. I think he mounted tires fine, just didn't adjust rear tire.

Rexbo
November 19th, 2010, 12:58 AM
its definitely possible that the bolts were loose, and it would cause the bike to feel terrible riding around. When I had my bt-003s brand new, they didnt feel slippery at all even before getting full heat into them.

Lesson learned I guess, always do a full check before you ride!

kkim
November 19th, 2010, 01:48 AM
if the rear axle nut was tightened, those nuts being loose wouldn't matter, correct? was the rear axle nut tightened down to spec?

rockNroll
November 19th, 2010, 11:38 AM
if the rear axle nut was tightened, those nuts being loose wouldn't matter, correct? was the rear axle nut tightened down to spec?

That's correct, once the axle nut is tightened down it doesn't matter if those nuts are tight or not. Was the wheel installed straight?

Cab305
November 19th, 2010, 12:15 PM
After dropping it, no. He had to realign it with a malet and then re-tighten.

I'm seriously leaning to: he was negligent. Im not gonna bring it up or anything. But it taught me a good lesson.

Always check your ride before going on track!

JS73
November 19th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Cab, now that you are doing track days, you might want to look at safety wiring a few things.

Cab305
November 19th, 2010, 01:02 PM
safety wiring a few things.

Amen, brotha. Gonna be slapping on that GSXR shock this week, will start wiring her up.

Are you going to be heading south for PBR this weekend or are you heading for Jennings?

steadyeddie
November 20th, 2010, 05:09 PM
If you don't already know, learn how to change your own wheels. If you do it yourself then you can be sure it was done correctly. Personally, I only trust 1 other person to work on my bike, and it's not a tire vendor.

Cab305
November 20th, 2010, 06:46 PM
If you don't already know, learn how to change your own wheels. If you do it yourself then you can be sure it was done correctly. Personally, I only trust 1 other person to work on my bike, and it's not a tire vendor.

He had to mount the oo3's for me, otherwise I'm with you 100%. Seen the wd40 and lighter trick on car tires, didn't want to do it on my ninjette.

I've taught myself to do everything that has come up so far...... The DIY forum is a god-send, then you have YouTube. That's all the knowledge I could poss. need.

5wa1CQ3eZRg

ztrack157
November 22nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Thats ether not wd-40

JS73
November 22nd, 2010, 12:09 PM
Are you going to be heading south for PBR this weekend or are you heading for Jennings?

Will be at JGP on Dec 4th and 5th. Hopefully you can make it then.
Now go back to wrenchin' and get that scooter ready!:D

ithaca00
November 23rd, 2010, 11:25 AM
He had to mount the oo3's for me, otherwise I'm with you 100%.

That's why there are stands. You put the bike on stands, take the wheels off and deliver to tire guy. Wait until they're ready and reinstall.

Cab305
November 23rd, 2010, 11:35 AM
Yes this would be the ideal.... However I wouldn't have had time. I was at rider meeting, novice class and suit rental while bike was being prepped. As is I barely even got out to track in time for orientation lap.

I have stands...

randomwalk101
November 23rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
i always prep the bike way ahead of time (days)...

Cab305
November 23rd, 2010, 03:13 PM
I agree, but the vendor didn't have the tires till that morning. The whole thing was just a comedy of errors.

Trust me I learned my lesson. Plus every time I have to use force with my right thumb, I'm reminded.

ithaca00
November 23rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Trust me I learned my lesson. Plus every time I have to use force with my right thumb, I'm reminded.

Good, now don't go hitchhiking for at least 3 weeks. ;) :thumbup:

nope
November 24th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I bet the rear axle itself wasn't fully tightened and the drop nudged the wheel back. Like others have said, loose adjuster nuts don't really matter with a fully tightened axle.

But aside, NO bolts should be loose after a slow drop in grass. It's probably not worth pursuing any compensation from the dude, but I'd definitely go tell him he's a dick in front of his peers.

Cab305
November 24th, 2010, 04:37 PM
It's probably not worth pursuing any compensation from the dude, but I'd definitely go tell him he's a dick in front of his peers.

Thanks for all the feed back, I appreciate everyones experience!

The dude is not a bad guy, I'm not the type that would make an issue of it.
He was prob. surprised that I didn't go off on him to begin with.

It was a bit hectic, he had a bunch of guys on his _ss. I think it was a good lesson with a painful reminder, could have been worse. It was really my fault for not doing what all of you have recommended.

"Do it yourself" or "Check that it's done right"

Won't happen again I can guarantee. <----(knocks on wood)

ithaca00
November 25th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I'm a firm believer of "Make sure it's done right, do it yourself" for exactly the situation that happened to you. A friend of mine had a worse experience where the tire guy didn't install the brakes properly on the front wheel and well, let me have him tell you...

EdKPyb4UKmQ

Cab305
November 25th, 2010, 06:11 PM
That's fockin hilarious!

By the way, I got a free track day in exchange, lol.

Cab305
April 15th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Finally got back to Homestead after posting this last year. Had much better results.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee92/Cab305/HSW_T3a_sm.jpg

JS73
April 18th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Looking good Cab, glad to hear things went well. :thumbup: When are you going to Jennings?

HKr1
April 18th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Nice pic :thumbup:

sowega
April 18th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Here's the deal for every ride, whether you're going to the corner store or trying to beat the other dudes around the track:

It is far, far more desirable to be a little late than to crash because you didn't take the time to check the important stuff. "To finish first, you must first finish", etc.

Lesson learned; keep on truckin'.