View Full Version : Sports rack carrier / Pillion grab rail - for '08+ 250R's

Den
November 30th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Here is something interesting I've found...

It's two products: a luggage rack or a grab rail.
They both look fairly well, at least much better then any other version I saw previously...

http://www.renntec.co.uk/c2/uploads/c2ag_250x183_3_10332p2%20web.jpg http://www.renntec.co.uk/c2/uploads/c2ag_300x206_3_7327p2%20web.jpg

http://www.renntec.co.uk/ninja_250r.html

The carrier is fairly a practical mod. Where the grab rail is not as outstanding, can make more comfort for the pillion, and possibly be a place where a helmet could be locked...

I'm actually considering one :)

slolane
November 30th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Looks good!

CZroe
November 30th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Here is something interesting I've found...

The carrier is fairly a practical mod. Where the grab rail is not as outstanding, can make more comfort for the pillion, and possibly be a place where a helmet could be locked...

I'm actually considering one :)

While interesting, it actually blocks the place the bike has already for locking helmets. You slip the D-ring from your helmet strap on a hook under the seat (one on each side; pick one) then lock the seat back down.

wild-bill
November 30th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Looks like a good idea. I wonder how much weight the rack can hold. And how much it would cost to ship to the USA-could not find either on website.

Den
December 1st, 2010, 12:39 AM
While interesting, it actually blocks the place the bike has already for locking helmets. You slip the D-ring from your helmet strap on a hook under the seat (one on each side; pick one) then lock the seat back down.

I don't trust the seat lock. Once the mechanism broke and I inserted a long and think (BBQ) stick, pushed it through and opened the seat. It takes 5 seconds! It seemed too easy to do, so it got me worried...

I might post a separate thread with pictures how I did it.

bob706
December 1st, 2010, 05:31 AM
Good find :thumbup:

JMcDonald
December 1st, 2010, 11:34 AM
Yeah I figured out how to do that also. I don't know if I many would want you to post a How-To for breaking into our bikes, but I do think it is good advice to say not to keep valubles in the trunk of this bike. That is the reason I stopped occasionally locking my firearm under there (and because if a couple of guys threw my bike in the back of their truck and sped off, which is far more likely than me needing my weapon and actually having time to retrieve it from under the locked seat, they also have my weapon).

However, for my beat-up $70 helmet I am more worried about the annoyance of some kid walking off with it to spite me / because it's cool, than I am about a professional thief jimmying the lock to make off with a pretty much worthless prize :P . So yeah, while I don't trust the lock with much, a helmet is still far safer than hanging on the handlebar. But perhaps a couple of cheap keyed locks could be hung off this bar to replicate that.

I have definitely been looking for something like this for passenger comfort. I really wish the rack was removable, though. I do like the idea of a rack because I don't have a personal car and some errands would be easier with the rack, but I wouldn't want it on there all the time.

Den
December 1st, 2010, 12:19 PM
occasionally locking my firearm under there
:eek: :thumbup:

Den
December 1st, 2010, 12:24 PM
I don't know if I many would want you to post a How-To for breaking into our bikes

I think you're right :) if there was a 'Certified members only' section or similar, I would probably do it there... Otherwise any jackass could get the How-to from here and break in my bike... I won't be digging a grave for myself, not just yet :rolleyes:

JMcDonald
December 1st, 2010, 05:26 PM
Haha exactly.

I have been considering making something like this, but only loosely. The main goal would be more passenger comfort and safety.
Posted via Mobile Device

CZroe
December 3rd, 2010, 02:52 PM
I've used mine over a thousand times and the mechanism has never broken. What happened?

Den
December 3rd, 2010, 03:07 PM
The plastic bit holding the cable, that is right under the metal plate.
It must've been my D lock that was bouncing up/down when riding...
Superglued it a few times by now, and it seems to be holding now :)