View Full Version : WRECKED. "A ghost is all that's left..."

8gauge
December 4th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Two days ago I slammed into a car while on my bike. (keep in mind there's no winter on Guam.) I won't go into detail because from what i do know and can remember it's all said in my testimonial video.

PLEASE wear a helmet. I'm alive today because I wore mine!

Kt7-3nGPYEw
MoH1dWIK1rI
*on the video footage of my bike I was a bit in shock, which is why i didn't say much and why it was so short.

CZroe
December 4th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Wow! Glad you're still here and made it through. Thanks for sharing with us as well. Any word on a replacement?

Heal up quick!

8gauge
December 4th, 2010, 04:46 AM
lol i'm not even thinking of a replacement right now, but more concentrating on making sure i can even think straight. the doctor said my "decision making skills" may be off for the next 2 weeks, which i'm guessing is common with concussions.

as soon as I get the police report... CHA-CHING!!!! which will probably leave me only with a few bucks after paying everything off :(

DaBlue1
December 4th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Sorry to here of your accident. Thank goodness for gear. Get well soon.

Sailariel
December 4th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Adam, I am very happy that you made it through that crash. You certainly present a good argument for ATGATT. It is a powerful testimonial that anyone riding should see. What got you through, is your intelligence (thankfully preserved by a good helmet) and some intervention from the Lord. After one has had a near death experience, it helps to try to relax--even meditate. Often this sort of experience becomes a pivotal stage in one's life. Certainly, if one is a person of faith, this is a signpost that says the Lord has something in mind for you. That is often the case. By the sound of your testimonial, you'll get through this concussion fine. Thank you for sharing.

Raven
December 4th, 2010, 06:34 AM
This is a bold testament of how even a 250 is still capable of ending your life. Many people like to scoff away and say that it could been of preventable. Not always in all situations.

So sorry about the bike, and your concussions. Thankfully, you did not turn up any worse for us to hear. :thumbup:

bob706
December 4th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Get well soon :thumbup:

slolane
December 4th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Glad your ok, take your time, get better and decide what to do next after some time has passed. Once again, glad your ok!

scotty
December 4th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Wow dude, that sucks, but what matters is that your okay, a bike is replacable, a life is'nt. I hope you get healed up fast!

blade
December 4th, 2010, 10:43 AM
first off glad to hear that u are ok , sorry about the bike ,things will work out ok for u i hope

lrentz
December 4th, 2010, 12:17 PM
You have but one life. Bikes come and go. I am glad your ok. Get well soon.

Lee

TenaciousD
December 4th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks for sharing your story, bro. Glad to see you are intact and alive.

oroboros
December 4th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks for sharing. Hopefully the video and telling the story was cathartic and that you are back on top very soon.

Ash
December 4th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Get well soon!

SVBS
December 4th, 2010, 01:40 PM
glad you're okay bro, give you a reason to start a project bike now :D

00NissanNinja
December 4th, 2010, 01:56 PM
glad you are okay, and thanks for sharing your story. I hope you get better soon!

Rosie
December 4th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Thank you for sharing and glad to hear you are ok. Get well soon and just relax for a few months. Decisions on a new bike can wait for now :thumbup:

Yasko
December 4th, 2010, 10:21 PM
:pray: Hope you get well soon.

8gauge
December 5th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Thank you everyone for the kind words of encouragement. I didn't realize how lucky I am to only walk away with just a concussion! (Thank you God!!!) It doesn't really matter how many cc's is in your bike, but when you hit your head hard enough, it's all the same. :banghead:

Everything still seems a bit hazy till now. I'm guessing my short term memory is shot to hell for now, because I even have a hard time remembering a few things that happened yesterday.

I'd like to use video games to pass time while i'm off from work, but this damned thumb splint I have on is in the way :p

smiley424
December 5th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Yo Adam,

Bro, I'm glad to see you are alive and well. Was this over by Harmon Loop? I remember hearing about it on the radio. I'm happy to see you are still with us and get better soon.

8gauge
December 5th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Yo Adam,

Bro, I'm glad to see you are alive and well. Was this over by Harmon Loop? I remember hearing about it on the radio. I'm happy to see you are still with us and get better soon.

no way! on the radio, huh? yup that was me. you know the turn past the soccer field that goes in to the dededo flea maket area? that's where it happened. the guy tried making a left hand turn and stopped in the middle of the road. :mad:

Azhyen
December 5th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Glad you're still alive. All I can say is get well and I hope this doesn't permanently deter you from riding again.

Memengkamatis
December 6th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Really, really glad you're still with us. Borrow a friend's ride. It will quicken the healing of the nerves. A friend kept putting off getting back on. He never did. Always vocal about riding again but only in his dreams. Ride safe.

Meng

Sailariel
December 6th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Adam, Sounds like you are recovering nicely. Things will feel a bit scrambled for a while--that's normal. With concussions, many patients report feeling better wearing sunglasses--ask me how I know. Never crashed a motorcycle, but crashed a lot bicycle racing. Keep us posted on your progress.

8gauge
December 6th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Adam, Sounds like you are recovering nicely. Things will feel a bit scrambled for a while--that's normal. With concussions, many patients report feeling better wearing sunglasses--ask me how I know. Never crashed a motorcycle, but crashed a lot bicycle racing. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for that bit of info. I'm not really having sensitivity issues with light (probably because i've been in my room for a while with the shades drawn in) but I am having sensitivity with loud noises. Any slight noise seems like it pierces straight to my brain :eek:

tjkamper
December 6th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I'm glad to hear that you are okay and recovering. Best of LUCK

Sailariel
December 6th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks for that bit of info. I'm not really having sensitivity issues with light (probably because i've been in my room for a while with the shades drawn in) but I am having sensitivity with loud noises. Any slight noise seems like it pierces straight to my brain :eek:

Sorry, Forgot to mention that--same same as a hangover--It's the brain healing itself from having its chemistry upset. Concussions upset one's chemistry a bit.

JS73
December 6th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident, but I am glad that you are ok.
Thank you for posting your video. Its a very good reminder to all of us that gear can save your life.

Heal well and heal soon. :thumbup:

hoodadooda
December 14th, 2010, 02:30 AM
I had a nearmiss the other day because somebody in a Ford Explorer decided to stop halfway rather than commit to the turn or stay stopped. Nervous, indecisive drivers give me the chills, especially my little brother who recently started driving. :(
Hopefully, it won't be your last bike and the best part is that you are alive to make that decision to ride again. :thumbup:
Wishing you a speedy recovery of both body and mind.

Sailariel
December 14th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Distracted drivers scare the hell out of me. Just this morning a woman talking on her cell phone ran into me with her grocery cart. We are even moving targets in the grocery store.

SVBS
December 14th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Distracted drivers scare the hell out of me. Just this morning a woman talking on her cell phone ran into me with her grocery cart. We are even moving targets in the grocery store.

Classic fail, :D, now try and put her into a full size SUV :thumbup:

hoodadooda
December 14th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Classic fail, :D, now try and put her into a full size SUV :thumbup:

*shudder* There are enough Suzietalksalots in SUVs already! :mad:

8gauge
December 17th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Ok everyone, quick update.

Everything seems to be back to normal with my brain (at least I hope so). It feels like nothing happened to begin with.

SO...I kept harassing the insurance company of the idiot who smacked into me with his Nissan Quest. It turns out, that there IS a motorcycle God. I had a feeling that the assistant claims manager would be as cheap as possible and consult kelly blue book to determine the "value" of my bike. Which he did. So he looks up the bike not knowing squat about motorcycles and engine displacements. I'm guessing because he searched "EX250JAFA" instead of "2010 kawasaki ninja 250R" He didn't get a hit in the search results on KBB. But as I already know what to type when searching, the bike comes out to around $3K. which barely comes out to me scraping by on breaking even on what i paid for.

I get a phone call today from the manager with him being crazy confused saying..."um...your bike 'EX250JAFA' isn't showing on KBB. There's multiple bikes showing up. Is it a 650R? ZX-6, or ZX-14?" :jaw:

I just hope I don't jinx myself by pre-celebrating that he thinks my bike is worth 8k. Hopefully he won't be thorough and i'll be able to get that check by next wednesday :)

8gauge
December 17th, 2010, 09:32 AM
oh yeah, and before he went to inspect the bike the insurance guy asks me, "if it's fixable, would you want to fix it?"

I told him, "that bike was hit so hard, my testicles left an indent on the gas tank. you tell me if that's fixable."

He calls me back 4 hours later after inspection and says "wow..."

backinthesaddleagain
December 17th, 2010, 10:13 AM
nothing like testicular indentation to describe something, ouch

Rosie
December 17th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I told him, "that bike was hit so hard, my testicles left an indent on the gas tank. you tell me if that's fixable."

:lol: Sorry.. I know that must not have been funny when it happened, but I wish I had seen the face of the insurance guy when you told him that.. :rolleyes:

hoodadooda
December 17th, 2010, 11:29 AM
LOL Insurance! :thumbup:

randomwalk101
December 17th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Get a lawyer and get some medical payment too?

Speedy recovery.

jmgrande
December 17th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Cars and bike can be replaced, but you can't! Glad to hear you're okay. Don't forget you should get compensation to pay for the bike, medical, and also other future problems. Most claims can stay open for 2 years.

8gauge
December 18th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Get a lawyer and get some medical payment too?

Speedy recovery.

well, my medical bills will be covered as I took pictures of all bruising and all. still havent filed for the bodily injury claims and lost income because my medical bills are still being processed and haven't been sent to me yet.

ninja3575
December 18th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Just watched your video .. glad were able to walk away from such a serious accident... i also saw the photos of that wreck... that bike is totallly still ridable... with a little elbow grease and sledge hammer you could get that thing up and running on one wheel in no time... :D

But seriously, hope you get back on two wheels sometime soon... and you work things all out with the insurance... take care .. :thumbup:

8gauge
December 18th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Just watched your video .. glad were able to walk away from such a serious accident... i also saw the photos of that wreck... that bike is totallly still ridable... with a little elbow grease and sledge hammer you could get that thing up and running on one wheel in no time... :D

But seriously, hope you get back on two wheels sometime soon... and you work things all out with the insurance... take care .. :thumbup:

thanks, but i'm not sure how safe the bike would be if it were to be repaired. When i took those photos I was only able to stand upright from all the drugs prescribed to me at the time. Even with that, I could barely squat down and get close enough to take a close look, much less remember what I was even looking at.

I'm not too sure, but I wouldn't want to risk incurring more costs on something that might just be more trouble down the road or even be hazardous to ride. I'm guessing i'd probably have the gyroscopic effect and fly right off or be tinkering around and spending more and more trying to fix whatever problems would pop up in the future. From what I do recall, the gas tank and back might be able to be salvaged, but that's about 50% of the bike.

I'd rather just get another pre-owned bike from a reliable owner and play it safe. The P.O. from the bike that was wrecked, (a buddy from my high school years) knows the situation and knows a dozen bikes that i'd be interested in purchasing once i'm ready. So I think I'm covered in that part.

Other than that, thank you everyone for the encouraging thoughts and responses!! Ninjette.org and all it's members made the recover process much easier. Happy holidays everyone, and God bless!

n4mwd
May 26th, 2011, 06:00 AM
I just heard about your accident. I'm glad you're OK. Sorry about the bike. Its like losing a friend.

There are all sorts of nuts on the road. A few months ago a guy attempting to make a left turn pulled in front of me and just stopped in the middle of the road when he saw me pretty much exactly as you describe happened to you. Fortunately, I had about a hundred feet to react and was able to swerve in front of him. That was risky in that he could have hit the gas and run me over, but the gamble paid off and I avoided an accident.

I hope you are feeling better and that you get another Ninja soon.

coondog
May 26th, 2011, 07:41 AM
lol i'm not even thinking of a replacement right now, but more concentrating on making sure i can even think straight. the doctor said my "decision making skills" may be off for the next 2 weeks, which i'm guessing is common with concussions.

as soon as I get the police report... CHA-CHING!!!! which will probably leave me only with a few bucks after paying everything off :(

I didn't think in Guam you'd be responsible for any costs if it was the cagers fault. None at all, just like the States, plus a ongoing medical and seperate vehicle settlements. Sorry, what I mean is God blees and keep you and yours.

Kevin2109
May 26th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Glad your doing alright man :thumbup:

Hope everything is going well

bdavison
May 26th, 2011, 10:46 AM
You are one blessed dude. God was lookin out for you that day for sure.
I think I remember reading somewhere that it takes about 1000lbs of force to bend the front forks back like that. To walk away with a concussion, sprained thumb and some bruises...WOW.

KawiKid860
May 26th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I'm a little late to this.. but glad you're okay! man you're so lucky. I've been hit by a car while riding a pedal bike before (in that case it was a stupid decision on my part) so I can relate to your accident. My advice would be to just get back riding asap if you're still interested and physically capable because the quicker you get on the less time it will take to heal mentally, hopefully. Anyways really glad you didn't get severely injured, good luck!