View Full Version : Patience....

Apex
December 7th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Patience is often overlooked when riding a motorcycle, but is a vital aspect to staying safe.

A great example of patience would be my ride home last night. For some reason, and I don't know why, I was getting a short fuse when I was riding. Normally I am laid back, but last night I was not. I think it was the fact that my hands felt like icicles. :lol:

Anyway, a guy was constantly tapping his brakes in front of me, pacing a car in the right lane, and just not really paying attention to what he was doing. I really wanted to get around him because he was brake happy. I prefer being behind someone who can go 100yds while driving at 60mph without touching their brakes (no cars in front of them). This guy couldn't. An opening popped up, I shot over real quick and started to calm down. Light turned yellow, I gave it a little gas and made it through the intersection safely, he stopped. Ahhh, sweet relief!

Some people got on the road in front of me and were traveling about 40mph (limit is 60). I saw a nice opening between two cars. Left lane car was behind the truck in the right lane by about a school bus length. PLENTY OF ROOM! I am trucking it at 60, put on my blinker, and move to the left lane. It was around this time the truck decided to change lanes without a blinker. :eek: I got on the brakes quickly and gradually applied more and more pressure. The nose of the bike dove big time. I slowed to 10ft from his rear bumper (could have slowed more quickly, but the situation did not warrant that action). I immediately checked my mirrors to make sure that car wasn't right on me, and it was not.

Normally I am more patient riding, and by not being patient, it almost cost me a nice bike repair bill (not to mention possible body repair bills). Be patient out there. It never hurts to slow down that extra 5 mph to be safe, to double check that mirror. Your life is worth more than that.

That was my reminder to take it easy on the bike...and I will. :)

JMcDonald
December 7th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean :) .

In the future, you might look for outs to the left and right before or at least while getting on the brakes. Was there no shoulder to the left? When that has happened to me, that is what I've done (gone around them, rather than jumping on the brakes and putting my rear at risk).

Apex
December 7th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Didn't need to take an out, I had plenty of room to brake. It was just closer than I would have liked. I know if I was in laid back mode, I would have never been in the situation.

JMcDonald
December 7th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Ah nvm I getcha. Good post!

spooph
December 8th, 2010, 08:31 AM
thanks for the reminder.... and while we're being patient we can cuss out the inferior drivers out there who freak out over nothing, for what ever reason! :P

Foreigner
December 8th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I once saw this really great list of tips from a guy who used to be a motorcycle courier for several years (gotta try find that list again). One of his tips was just that - patience. A lot of time you actually end up getting to your destination faster (not to mention, in one piece) if you're patient.

I've seen so many examples of that here where I've held back and some crazy guy on a scooter/1000cc missile zooms ahead of me way over the speed limit (these guys are almost as dangerous to other riders as car drivers over here). A minute later, I'm overtaking said guy who is stuck in traffic because he's squeezed himself into a dead end instead of waiting to judge which route is safest/quickest. :rolleyes:

Mind you, I'm guilty of lacking in patience from time to time, but I've had one or two close calls and that's enough to wake you up!! Glad you and the bike are ok!

Misti
December 10th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Very important reminder, especially for riding on the street. But, patience does play a role in riding on the track and even in racing as well. Best to pick the right time to pass someone and do it well as opposed to trying to hurry the pass and screwing up!

Cheers,
Misti