View Full Version : heated grips

bhalv
December 7th, 2010, 06:17 PM
anyone got recommendations as far as heated grips for my 93 ninja? finally getting cold enough that they are starting to become a necessity.

DR1300R
December 7th, 2010, 07:00 PM
anyone got recommendations as far as heated grips for my 93 ninja? finally getting cold enough that they are starting to become a necessity.

This is what i have on the Busa, they work decent for the money.. :cool:
http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm

I have heard that Hot Grips are supposed to be real good, although pricey.. :thumbup:
http://www.hotgrips.com/

greg737
December 7th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I've got HotGrips on my 2005. I love them.

I installed them with the standard "Off-Low-High" three position switch. Every once in a while I feel that something between Low and High might feel better so I've considered installing the continuously-variable pulse width modulated power controller so I can fine-tune the heat. Haven't gotten around to that mod yet.

I guess it's because most of the time I'm just insanely happy with them as they are.

bob706
December 7th, 2010, 07:44 PM
These are the ones I have - http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=67&navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&keyword=HEATED+HAND+GRIPS&prodFamilyId=23097

bhalv
December 7th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I've got HotGrips on my 2005. I love them.

I installed them with the standard "Off-Low-High" three position switch. Every once in a while I feel that something between Low and High might feel better so I've considered installing the continuously-variable pulse width modulated power controller so I can fine-tune the heat. Haven't gotten around to that mod yet.

I guess it's because most of the time I'm just insanely happy with them as they are.

which model did you get if you remember, trying to figure out exactly which one i need to order

KTRacing38
December 12th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I've tried several different brands over the years that I've had bikes. Out of all them, the Hot Grips ones are the best. I LOVE them! They were super easy to install and they have different heat settings - I found that most of the time 30% is enough, but it's nice to have more choice than off or on. I got mine off of ebay. Here's a link to the seller that I bought from. Delivery was quick and I had no problems.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400179016216

Foreigner
December 12th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Hey Brent I have a couple of questions. How cold is it out there? How long will you be riding daily?

Reason I ask is that my personal experience with heated grips is that they definitely help, but the outside off my hand still freezes when it gets anywhere below -6 degrees celcius, and I'm riding at speed for any length of time. I switched heated grips for heated glove liners. I use the Gerbing's glove liners with Rev'It! Kelvin gloves. Not a cheap investment, but at least my fingers are nice and toasty all around (sometimes roasting!).

If you'll be riding for long stretches at very cold temps, I'd go for the heated gloves/glove liners. Otherwise, HotGrips are for you :thumbup:

bhalv
December 12th, 2010, 09:00 AM
worst it gets here is 10 Fahrenheit but part of my commute involves a 70+mph freeway section and that's the part that sucks the most

Foreigner
December 14th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Wow I just checked and that's pretty cold! Considering the type of riding you do, I'd look into heated gloves. The benefit is you can use them on any bike with a 12v battery with no problem, and you don't have to physically alter the bike to do it (like ungluing and removing the stock grips).

Firebrick
December 24th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I was looking into the aerostich velcro ones that go over your grips so I could move it between bikes. Anyone ever used this type?

SV_Hadder
January 17th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I have a set of heated grips on my bike, just the simple kind that you wrap around the handlebar. I have noticed that the bar end weights get pretty warm, obviously wasting some of the heat from the grip heaters, so that got me to thinking... what if you stuck the adhesive side of the heating element, to the inside of the rubber grip? Would it be more effective? I'm thinking of giving it a shot.