View Full Version : "Sorry, I didn't see you . . ."

gfloyd2002
December 19th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I got those dreaded 5 words . . . I was having a nice break-of-dawn ride in sunny Barbados. Riding through . . .

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk28/gfloyd2002/SugarCaneRoad.jpg

when someone in a big white van ran a . . .

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk28/gfloyd2002/Stop_Sign-300x225.jpg

so I did a . . .

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk28/gfloyd2002/Stoppie.jpg

I kept from hitting the van, but got myself a . . .

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk28/gfloyd2002/RoadRash.jpg

Guy gave the "Sorry, I didn't see you" excuse, to which I replied "That's funny because I'm pretty sure that the sign doesn't say 'stop unless you aren't looking carefully and decide to just run through it full speed.'"

Good news: The bike is fine, just minor scratches on the right bar slider and foot peg. More good news: Now I know how to do a stoppie (except for the graceful ending part :p), which I'd never had the courage/stupidity to try before. Great news: I'm using the scraped leg to get out of yard duty and watch football all day. :thumbup:

Snake
December 19th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Glad to hear you are ok. I would have cussed them out severely. You sound like you a bit more restrained.

gfloyd2002
December 19th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Glad to hear you are ok. I would have cussed them out severely. You sound like you a bit more restrained.

Well, in fairness, the actual quote from me was: "That's funny, you &*!hole, because I'm pretty sure the sign doesn't read 'stop unless you are aren't looking carefully and decide to just run through it full speed', you *&$!ing &*!hole!"

I would have liked to have been more eloquent, but there you have it. Convenient day to be on the couch though, fantasy football playoffs. :)

CZroe
December 19th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Glad to hear you are OK! Loved the way you told the story... I'm sure bdavison will love seeing his pic incorporated :D

00NissanNinja
December 19th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Glad you are okay, did you report him? Then again I guess the police wouldn't care unless you crashed into him.

gfloyd2002
December 19th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Glad you are okay, did you report him? Then again I guess the police wouldn't care unless you crashed into him.

Nah, nothing but a few scratches, not worth the hassle. A good reminder to constantly anticipate that the other guy doesn't see you and ride defensively.

FrugalNinja250
December 20th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I would ask the guy to pull out all the money he had in his pockets and hand it over. If he failed to do so call the police. If he left then he committed a felony. Minimum to repaint a bike is around $500, plus your hassle. I stopped believing in letting people get away from responsibility for their actions when I realized it only encouraged them to keep doing what they're doing. Eventually they'll kill somebody.

You're lucky.

bdavison
December 20th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Sweet, I thought I recognized me.

gfloyd2002
December 20th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Heh, just typed "ninja 250 stoppie" into google pics and selected the nicest one, seeing as I was too busy crapping myself to grab my camera and take self-portrait at the time of incident.

Nice pic! Looking closer at it, it isn't a real stoppie, right? Shopped?

greg737
December 20th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah, the whole world is photoshopped now. Nothing is real.

Sorry about your unfortunate luck.

Probably the worst danger we motorcyclists face is human nature. Your brush with death is a perfect example. Here's how human nature plays out and you end up dead (or very lucky and still able to post on ninjette.org)

Let's say your van driver goes through that intersection once, twice or even more than twice a day. If that intersection is regularly empty the van driver will come to expect it to be empty and will begin ignoring the stop sign (from slow-rolling it to blowing through at speed).

Quite often it's not that they didn't see us, it's that they weren't even looking in the first place.

gfloyd2002
December 20th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Probably the worst danger we motorcyclists face is human nature. Your brush with death is a perfect example. Here's how human nature plays out and you end up dead (or very lucky and still able to post on ninjette.org)

This turns darwinism on its head. How is it that stupid people who should be removed from the gene pool get to take us smart, sophisticated ninja riders out of the great evolutionary chain? :drivingcrash:

:pound:

8gauge
December 20th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Yeah, the whole world is photoshopped now. Nothing is real.

Sorry about your unfortunate luck.

Let's say your van driver goes through that intersection once, twice or even more than twice a day. If that intersection is regularly empty the van driver will come to expect it to be empty and will begin ignoring the stop sign (from slow-rolling it to blowing through at speed).

Quite often it's not that they didn't see us, it's that they weren't even looking in the first place.

I hate vans now. Especially Nissan Quests. I crashed into a Quest.

00NissanNinja
December 20th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I hate vans now. Especially Nissan Quests. I crashed into a Quest.

I hate toyota camrys, I was nearly ran into a wall by one, would have hurt like h*** if that happened (or waking up in a hospital). Hate vans too, have had too many van drivers just pull into my lane on the highway, not cool.

I would have made him pay since he caused you to have an accident, but thats just me. Yeah it kinda is like Darwinism but backwards huh lol

Blackwidow
December 22nd, 2010, 10:40 AM
its not so much the car as it is the driver...

funny OP though, love the visuals. Glad you were able to walk away from it to tell the story. Though I do think you should have punished the guy by making him pay for the minor damages...sometimes hurting the pocket keeps them from being stupid on the road in the future.