View Full Version : Preparation as a Skill

gfloyd2002
January 14th, 2011, 03:10 AM
I'm in the process of reading More Proficient Motorcycling (http://www.amazon.com/More-Proficient-Motorcycling-Mastering-Ride/dp/1931993033) by David Hough. I enjoy it more than the classic "Proficient Motorcycling," and recommend it as a must read focusing on street accident avoidance. One of the main principles of the book is that accidents, even those apparently not the riders fault, are avoidable with appropriate preparation and caution.

I had a real world example of this two days ago on the way home from work. I was behind a local on a gixxer. He sees me, pulls a wheelie and leaves me in his dust. I just happily kept my usual pace and let him go about his business. A hundred yards ahead, still in a wheelie (one hell of a wheelie, the rider was very skilled technically), a car makes a right turn in front of him from a side road (we drive on the left here, so it's the equivalent of a left turner in the US). I see the brake light (from rear wheel braking only) and the gixxer front wheel comes down from the wheelie, hits the ground about a foot in front of the car, and the bike t-bones the car at about 60 mph. The bike explodes into confetti as the car wraps around bike and rider. I see the bike engine, skidding across the highway, but the rider is just still in a bloody lump. I pulled up, but thank god the car in front of me has a doctor in it, so she takes the motorcyclist as I check on the car driver (pretty shaken up, likely broken arm and a nasty headache, he'll recover.) The cyclist ended up dead on arrival at the hospital. I remain pretty upset about it.

Surprising to me is that others at the scene, including the police, concluded that the car was at fault for pulling out in front of the motorcyle. And that is how it will show up in the statistics. Technically true, but the motorcyclist's death sits firmly on his own shoulders. The obvious cause is the stupidity of doing a wheelie at night, pointing his headlight at Jupiter and taking away 80% of stopping power. But he also had dark clothes on for his ride, and no reflective stripes. (See Study on Clothing Safety (http://www.bmj.com/content/328/7444/857.abstract).) He wasn't worried about cars pulling out, and wasn't focused on the front wheel of the car on the side road. (The front wheel shows early movement easy to spot. When you see movement on that front wheel, time to cover that front brake and start looking for outs.) He was doing 60 in a 40. (According to the Motorcycle Stopping Distance Calculator (http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/images/StoppingDistance.xls), it takes 150 feet to stop from 60mph, 66 feet to stop from 40mph, and 37 feet to stop from 30MPH. A small intersection is 48 feet wide. If you simply do the speed limit, and slow down to 30 if there is a car that looks like it may pull out in front of you, an emergency stop can avoid almost any accident.)

So my conclusion after seeing someone die? Very different from others at the scene. Motorcycles aren't death machines. I was on the same road and firmly believe I wasn't in danger of a right-turner at any time. The right clothes, speed and focus on the front wheels of potentially turning cars keeps me reasonably safe. There are people who ride hundreds of thousands of miles accident free, and not because they are lucky, or because they can pull a 100 yard wheelie or a 70mph corner. I think they are just better prepared.

setasai
January 14th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Wow, Thanks for the story. Truly a difficult sight to behold. Makes you wonder if he's done similar acts on other days/nights. Anyways, I totally agree with the preparation and caution. Being on the road is like trying to read a person's face sometimes. Look around and many times, you can either emergency brake it or predict hazards. I dont know how many times I look at a car right in front of me that seems to be leaning towards my lane. You can bet on it that they'll lane change without signaling and barely looking regardless on if I'm driving or riding.

Great recommendation on the book as well. I've just started accumulating some reading material.

g21-30
January 14th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Floyd,

I would only add one thing to this: Always cover the front brake and clutch lever. See this thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41411

Misti
January 17th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Wow that is quite the story and it must be so difficult to have watched it happen. I can't imagine having to deal with that :(

You make some really good points about preparation as a skill and I totally agree with you when you say that most accidents are unavoidable. Sure there are situations where cars turn in front of you or change lanes into you but the more prepared you are in all manners, the better chances you have of avoiding major injury. Wearing the proper gear, not doing stupid things (like wheelies at night or on busy roads etc) and keeping your eyes open and on the lookout for potential danger can all make a difference.

I remember during my first year of riding I was complaining to a friend of mine (who had been riding over 10 years by that point) about how "stupid drivers" kept cutting me off. He said very simply that it was my fault for not seeing it happening. I was pretty mad at first until he explained that he pretends the other cars are ALWAYS going to cut him off so he always expects it and leaves himself lots of room. When I started doing that I was able to see the cars moving across much much sooner and I was expecting it so it didn't come as a surprise. Pretty soon I was "seeing" many more bad situations happening before they actually happened and was able to avoid a lot of potential accidents because of it.

Misti

coondog
January 17th, 2011, 05:44 PM
GFLOYD the first mantra i taught my son, well before even getting on the first bike, was "I am invisible." He's still not ready for my 250 but is progressing well on a moto to street convert with a lifan 125cc engine with 14" wheels. He has ridden the ninja 250 (MSF) but he's with me until further notice. We live in a glorious place like the barbados and keep it to the ocean road and locals backroad home. He can touch 60 mph on these one laners so he gets the thrill plenty in spots with no turn-outs. Great post as far as knowledge and more importantly applying it for yourself i'm sure. Thanks.

JMcDonald
January 17th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Wow, GREAT post! heh, you really caught me off guard since you're post was basically like "So I'm reading this book.... and two days ago I saw someone die a violent death right in front of my eyes...!" Sorry you had to witness that, but Im sure you will be a better rider because of it.

I try to do my best to see potential problems before they happen, and the more I ride the more I start to understand ques to look for. For example, if I am passing a car in the left-turn lane (for us in the States, a car stopping in a turn-only lane to turn left across opposing traffic), I make sure to ride as far to the right of my lane as possible (provided there isn't a car in front of me blocking his sight of me). I've had cars quickly pull back out into traffic in front of me when they decide they'd go rather go strait than turn, requiring me to swirve to get around them (one time I had to hit the shoulder, and the other I just had to squeeze real close to the curb). I decided if I am already on the opposite side of the lane for that moment, it just gives me that much more of a cushion.

The second biggest reason I don't want to get a more powerful bike is I am affraid I'll do something stupid like that and kill myself (or go to jail). At least, that's what Im telling myself to stifle that itch.

gfloyd2002
January 22nd, 2011, 04:04 AM
Floyd,

I would only add one thing to this: Always cover the front brake and clutch lever. See this thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41411

I don't cover at all times, but appreciate the need when approaching intersections or at sign of potential trouble. The stopping distances I list below are once you start to apply the brakes. If you add reaction time and the time to get your hands onto the clutch and brake, you significantly add distance to your stop. Stats taken from More Proficient Motorcycling (http://www.amazon.com/More-Proficient-Motorcycling-Mastering-Ride/dp/1931993033): Reaction time of 1/2 second to recgonize a problem and cover the brakes in an emergency stop increases stopping distance from 50MPH by 37 feet (from 90 to 127 feet).

So covering the brake (and clutch) at any potential need to stop - before you need to stop - is a really good thing that is the equivalent of giving yourself significantly better stopping power.

g21-30
January 22nd, 2011, 06:28 AM
^^^As a result of reading Gary's books, I now cover both levers (with one finger) all the time, even while shifting. It actually seems to make the shifts smoother. :eek:

Animal78
February 5th, 2011, 06:08 PM
My wife no matter how prepared she was, was no match for the drunk driver who hit her from behind. Lucky she lived to tell about it or what she vaguely remembers of it. Now having a steel plate instead of a whole collarbone and seven screws attaching it. I have been riding for about 16 years and have seen all sorts of crashes and unfortunately it has been caused by the rider 99% of the time. Even one of my own boneheaded moves landed me in the ER. Luckily it was just my foot that was crushed.

Being a defensive rider is the only way you will make it. You have to be vigilant. Your skills of observation are needed 100% of the time. That second you think you can get away with something is when you don't!

ally99
February 6th, 2011, 10:03 AM
OMG, that's awful. Thanks for the reminder that we all need to be more defensive while on the street!

Sailariel
February 6th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Floyd, Sorry that you had to see that. Your reaction was quite normal. After two tours in Vietnam as a combat medic and 11 years as a PA, I have not become numb to the carnage--It really affects you every time as if it was the first time.

Misti's post was also very relevant. Her friend told her to assume that every car is about to cut her off. Excellent advice! My late father, who was a very avid motorcyclist, gave me the same advice 40 some years ago. I have been crash free for that whole time--and lucky. With impaired drivers, all bets are off.

Animal78
February 7th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Yeah even worse is being impaired on a motorcycle. I have seen that several times too. It never ends well.

coondog
February 7th, 2011, 08:17 AM
My wife no matter how prepared she was, was no match for the drunk driver who hit her from behind. Lucky she lived to tell about it or what she vaguely remembers of it. Now having a steel plate instead of a whole collarbone and seven screws attaching it. I have been riding for about 16 years and have seen all sorts of crashes and unfortunately it has been caused by the rider 99% of the time. Even one of my own boneheaded moves landed me in the ER. Luckily it was just my foot that was crushed.

Being a defensive rider is the only way you will make it. You have to be vigilant. Your skills of observation are needed 100% of the time. That second you think you can get away with something is when you don't!

God bless and keep you and yours man. I've been wondering where a neighbor went lately. He's in hospital after being hit from behind from DUI going 80+ according to accident report. First thing I drilled and keep saying to my son is "you're invisible."

Blackwidow
February 7th, 2011, 09:51 AM
what a tragic story! Its unfortunate you had to see something like that. It really is an eye opener.

I just don't understand why the car would be at fault in this situation, like you said, the motorcyclists headlight was pointing upwards, he pretty much cut his visibility by 80% by doing that wheelie. However, here in the states, if you're the one making the turn and you get into an accident, there is 90% chance its your fault.

Blackwidow
February 7th, 2011, 09:53 AM

My goodness! This thread gets more and more heart crenching!

i'm so sorry to hear about your wife, how is she now? Does she still ride?
How did the incident with your foot happen?

Jinx250
February 7th, 2011, 10:55 AM
You make some really good points about preparation as a skill and I totally agree with you when you say that most accidents are unavoidable.

I don't think that was a point that was made in the OP, but maybe I missed it.

Personally, I hate using the term "accident" to describe a collision, because an accident implies that nothing could be done to prevent it. I will concede that there *may* be situations in which something totally unexpected happens, but on the whole, I think the majority of collisions were totally preventable if one or both parties involved had paid more attention.

To the OP, it sucks that you had to witness that situation, and thanks for sharing with the rest of us. There is nearly always some kernel of knowledge to be gleaned from a situation such as this. Too bad the price is a life.

gfloyd2002
February 8th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Personally, I hate using the term "accident" to describe a collision, because an accident implies that nothing could be done to prevent it. I will concede that there *may* be situations in which something totally unexpected happens, but on the whole, I think the majority of collisions were totally preventable if one or both parties involved had paid more attention.

This is really what I was getting at. Statistically speaking, accidents are mostly a result of stupid decisions by the rider. Preparation (even for a moderately unskilled rider) can eliminate a large majority of accidents collisions.

Jinx250
February 8th, 2011, 09:47 AM
This is really what I was getting at. Statistically speaking, accidents are mostly a result of stupid decisions by the rider. Preparation (even for a moderately unskilled rider) can eliminate a large majority of accidents collisions.

I don't know that I agree with you completely. I understand your point though, and I think it's not so much the rider's poor decisions (excluding up on one in traffic, running reds at high speed, etc.) A lot of the bike vs. car situations that I've seen or heard of first or second hand seemed to stem from riders not being proactive, or a newb plain old not recognizing the danger that a veteran rider could or would. Far too many riders take the "ride like you're invisible" as an old adage rather than a life saving piece of advice.

Yasko
February 8th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Floyd how are you doing now that some time has past???That image of a down rider is hard to shake...I hope you are OK...

gfloyd2002
February 8th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Floyd how are you doing now that some time has past???That image of a down rider is hard to shake...I hope you are OK...

Fine really, but thanks. The image I'll remember is one EMT arms folded looking away, the other on the phone probably phoning the morgue, neither making an attempt to resuscitate or help the rider at his feet. You knew he was beyond help, already gone. But I try to think of it as a warning not to be an idiot and ride prepared. Maybe it'll do some good that way. If I have that image anytime I start to lose focus, it's a positive.

Yasko
February 8th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Good...Glad you're OK...I love how this web site helps to keep me focused...

Animal78
February 9th, 2011, 07:21 AM
My wife doesn't ride at the moment. However she is trhinking about getting on the 250. She was riding a Buell when this happened. I wasn't with her on my R6 but it was probably a good thing cause I would have been either injured as well or in jail for beating the snot out of the drunk driver. I had to take care of my wife for about 3 months after it happened she had no use of her right arm. It sucked.

As far as what happened to my foot. I was being stupid coming up on a turn too fast. I didn't realize I wasn't going to make the turn at the speed I was going until too late. I layed on the brakes. The rear wheel lifted (read as unintentional stoppie) I eased of the front brakethe rear wheel touched down but in my panic I still had the rear brake applied. That started my slide. At this point I had to just try to make it around. I got on the gas and went for it. Still sliding going around the corner They had a curb dividing the turn from the other lanes. I slide into the curb. This forced the bike back over the other direction trying to throw me off. Instead the bike pinned my left foot between the stator cover and the curb crushing the crap out of it and also somewhere in all of this my hand got caught up I lost part of 2 fingernails. Also kiddies please wear real riding boots. My shoe flew off during this whole fiasco I had to retrive it from the middle of the intersection. I grabbed my shoe put it back on my left foot really not noticing anything wrong with my foot. Me and a passer by picked up the bike and rolled it to the shoulder. After about 2-3 mins it started. I rode it home about 2 miles. Still really didn't notice anything wrong with my foot just my bloody fingers hurt. I walked inside my roommate was like what the hell happened to you! I went to my room put my stuff down removed my shoe put my foot on the floor and then it happened. SNAP! I went down to the floor. My foot started swelling imediately. I was unable to get up to walk. My roomate couldn't drive me anywhere. So I went out to my car and drove myself to the ER! I hobbled thru the parking lot and finally reached the doors. It sucked!

Motofool
August 11th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Bump. A must read for any rider. :thumbup:

ai4px
August 13th, 2012, 06:00 AM
I'm in the process of reading Surprising to me is that others at the scene, including the police, concluded that the car was at fault for pulling out in front of the motorcyle. And that is how it will show up in the statistics. Technically true, but the motorcyclist's death sits firmly on his own shoulders. The obvious cause is the stupidity of doing a wheelie at night, pointing his headlight at Jupiter and taking away 80% of stopping power. But he also had dark clothes on for his ride, and no reflective stripes.

In truth, how is a cager supposed to see a bike's bottom with the headlight pointing in the sky? How's a cager supposed to see reflective clothing when a bike is obstructing their view of the rider's torso? I've had crotch rockets pass in on the interstate doing 80mph wheelies. The only reason I didn't change lanes into them as they passed me was because I gave a quick shoulder check. Usually, you can see a headlight in the mirror or the grill of a car, but the smooth bottom of a bike? no chance. Maybe these guys should put reflective tape on the bottom of their fairings? or maybe no do wheelies at night in traffic????

I'm sure I'll crash one day. I had a few close calls through the years. But I want to give the cagers every opportunity I can to see me. Headlight modulator, brake modulator, a huge reflective patch on my back (that says Can You See Me Now). Making sure they see me also includes not going 2x the speed limit in a curve. How are they not to pull out in front of me when they actually looked a second ago and I really wasn't there? At 100 mph, I can actually appear from around a curve after they start moving. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

We have a duty to other riders to not act like fools on the road. One of my goals is to act responsibly so that other motorists see that all guys on crotch rockets are not fools. Also, despite lane splitting being legal in CA, really guys, it just pisses the cagers off. Again this is a respect thing. Sit there in traffic with the rest of them and they'll respect you. I have sat in the rain stopped in traffic getting soaked when I could have ridden up the center or shoulder. Again, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

No respect = them seeing you as an object and not a human being they would otherwise lookout for. One of the tips I saw for truckers regarding motorcycles was to think of them as people instead of small vehicles.

csmith12
August 13th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Preparation, Anticipation and Prediction should all be skills.

gfloyd2002
August 13th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks, ai4px, good post. If you are interested in being seen, take a look at this study on motorcycle accidents and visibility (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?b=166). Some key findings:

•Drivers wearing any reflective or fluorescent clothing had a 37% lower risk than other drivers.
•Compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk.
•Light coloured helmet versus dark coloured helmet was associated with a 19% lower risk.
•Three quarters of motorcycle riders had their headlight turned on during the day, and this was associated with a 27% lower risk.