View Full Version : BT-003rs question?

MKlein3004
January 15th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I know this has been covered before but my question is simple. I am going to be doing 3 track days this season. In deciding this i made the choice that i need to get different tired besides the stock ones. I am looking at the BT-003rs is the choice i am going to go with.

From what i understand about the tires is that they are not good in the wet. I don't plan on riding in the wet, track or street, so i don't think that will be a problem. The main question is, how will these hold on if I use them for dual riding. Street/Track, considering when it warms back up i will be using the bike to commute on all the days that it's not raining.

Thanks in Advance,
Mitchell

Alex
January 15th, 2011, 09:09 PM
They'll work fine on the street, but don't expect to get nearly the mileage you experienced on the stock tires.

KURT
January 15th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Bridgestone says the tread pattern has been enhanced for wet pavement. That said, I bought them for my 250, 'cause I knew my wife wouldn't be riding in the rain anyway.

The "Racing Street" compound, is designed to last longer than the track tire. I estimated I'll get at least 2 years of use, out of our set.

llenta
January 16th, 2011, 12:07 AM
They'll work fine on the street, but don't expect to get nearly the mileage you experienced on the stock tires.

+1

mileage will depend on how you ride. also wet traction will be significantly reduced compared to the stock ones. be careful in wet weather, but street riding the bt-003rs is fine. i got about 10,000 on my bt-45 but about 2,500 on my bt-003rs. bt-45 was all road, the bt-003rs was a mix of road and track.

Cab305
January 16th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Bridgestone says the tread pattern has been enhanced for wet pavement. That said, I bought them for my 250, 'cause I knew my wife wouldn't be riding in the rain anyway.

I've run them through serious South Florida thunder storms at highway speed, handled it fine.

I don't comute (bike's a toy) so they have held up pretty good, have put maybe 1000 miles on them so far.

MKlein3004
January 16th, 2011, 06:43 PM
ok so if i plan on using them for mix riding/track(3x a year) i will probably need to replace them every season. I will be putting some miles on my bike with gas going up like it is once it warms up so maybe i would be better off with some bt-016 first. I just don't ride in the rain and want the best grip possible for the price. the two different sets run about the same online anyways.

ztrack157
January 16th, 2011, 08:04 PM
2Wheelguy ran his 003rs tires for a huge chunk of the year last year. How far spaced apart will the track days be and how much mileage can you estimate in between. he probably had 15 track days and 4 race weekends on the 003rs tire set he had before I changed them out for him. And he then put the used tires on his wife's bike.

Rexbo
January 16th, 2011, 11:31 PM
15 track days and 4 race weekends on the 003rs tire set he had before I changed them out for him. And he then put the used tires on his wife's bike.

guess he doesnt like his wife that much! jk jk

MKlein3004
January 17th, 2011, 01:25 AM
The track days are in different time lengths. The first one is roughly 1.5 months distance apart. Amd the third would be 6 months away. And roughly 50 miles a day so between the first two track days would be about 1500 miles and the next track day would probably be about 3000-4000 miles between them. I am thinking that it is going to be two many miles for the last track day.

llenta
January 17th, 2011, 10:40 AM
he probably had 15 track days and 4 race weekends on the 003rs tire set he had before I changed them out for him.

holy snap, how do you get that many track days out of a single set of tires:eek:

i guess it all comes down to how hard you ride. even if you babied them i wouldn't guess the BT003rs would last that long, kudos to Bridgestone for making such a good tire.:thumbup:

ztrack157
January 17th, 2011, 02:19 PM
holy snap, how do you get that many track days out of a single set of tires:eek:

i guess it all comes down to how hard you ride. even if you babied them i wouldn't guess the BT003rs would last that long, kudos to Bridgestone for making such a good tire.:thumbup:

The track day total is a rough estimate. Craig takes other bikes to ride but logs a bunch of time on the 250. He isn't a slow poke either.

HKr1
January 17th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Kinda depends on how the track is to your tires. Like Jennings down here rips tires apart, and Road Atlanta left them looking new.

MKlein3004
January 18th, 2011, 05:30 PM
yeah, i think i am just going to get these tires and if i have to replace them before the october track day then i will.

thanks for the input

Daeldren
January 21st, 2011, 04:23 AM
15 track days is pretty impressive, however not too far fetched. There are a few guys running 1 set of tires per race season in E-Superstock. Sounds much better than spending 400 dollars on race rubber every race day on top of track fees.

Granted they probably only run 1 or 2 races per weekend 1 a month or something like that.

KTRacing38
January 21st, 2011, 06:54 AM
I did 2 race weekends on mine and then about 3000 kms of street riding (mostly commuting to work). They are done. I wouldn't recommend them for street tires if you plan to use them for commuting (especially if it's highway most of the way). You'll wear a flat spot into them in no time at all. Just my $0.02.

K.

MKlein3004
January 21st, 2011, 10:54 PM
so the bt-016 would be best for that then? what about getting ahold of some bt-090?

KTRacing38
January 23rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
so the bt-016 would be best for that then? what about getting ahold of some bt-090?

BT-016 will last you longer on the street. For the track, it depends how aggressive/experienced you are. My first year of track days, I used my street tires. Now, I wouldn't even dream of it.

There's always a compromise when you try to use dual purpose tires.

Depending on your budget, you could get a spare set of rims and mount track tires to them so that when you're at the track, you can use track specific tires.

I haven't tried the BT-090s. They aren't available in Canada and my understanding is they've been discontinued in the States. I may be wrong about that though.

ztrack157
January 23rd, 2011, 10:23 AM
090's are still available. They are a dual sport tire. I prefer them to the 003rs. But they wear out faster too.

MKlein3004
January 23rd, 2011, 08:05 PM
I have another question about tires then, my stock tires still have a little life in them, would it be ok if used them for the first track day, or would that be troublesome. I have the dunlop gt501s on there just FYI. I am just a little worried about the tire profile differences between the 150/60 of the bt-016and the 140/70 for the bt-003rs. Is there a big difference between the profiles and which is better for someone who is new to track days?

ztrack157
January 23rd, 2011, 08:29 PM
I like the 140's better. The 150's wiggle around. I wouldn't run the gt-501's if they have been on there for awhile.

MKlein3004
January 24th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Ok. I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the bt-003rs and if the wear down and I have to get new tires then oh well.