View Full Version : 2008 250J shock installed

JeffM
January 23rd, 2011, 06:10 PM
Today I installed a 250J shock that I purchased from a forum member. Installation was very easy and took only about 30 minutes.

After the install I sat on the bike and noticed that the sag was way less than the OEM shock. I weigh about 185-190 with gear (178 without) and have the shock set on the second lightest pre-load setting.

Took a brief ride to check out how the new shock felt and can only say that the rear of the bike felt firmer. Overall the rear felt more controlled and less like a marshmallow. I can not wait to get a little more time on the bike (It has been a wee bit like the frozen tundra around here lately) and play around with the pre-load.

Replacing the OEM is one of those mods to the 250EX that really makes a difference if you are are a heavier rider. :thumbup:

kkim
January 23rd, 2011, 07:11 PM
you'll notice a bit quicker steering, too, as the new shock raises the back end a bit and thereby decreases steering head rake. people that I know who have done this mod to their pregens love their bikes with the shock change.

better tires help too. ;)

JeffM
January 23rd, 2011, 09:28 PM
Kelly, I didn't notice the steering being quicker....yet. However the little 15 minute ride was not enough to notice.

Better tires - check. Pirelli Diablo Scooters.

kkim
January 23rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
I didn't notice the steering being quicker....yet.

you will once the weather gets better and you're back in the canyons. I think you'll really like the change. :ride:

HKr1
January 25th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I think the geometry of the linkage is a bit different between the two gens. Cause the 08(up) is a bit stiffer over all, swap does make a diff. But I was a little dissapointed it wasnt as firm.....

Jinx250
January 28th, 2011, 04:06 PM
It doesn't change the height of the rear. It only seems that way since the bike isn't sagging under its own weight anymore, and is compressing less with the rider's weight.

kkim
January 28th, 2011, 05:24 PM
It only seems that way since the bike isn't sagging under its own weight anymore, and is compressing less with the rider's weight.

wouldn't that alone cause the rear of the bike to sit higher thereby affecting front end rake angle?

also, IIRC, the newgen shock is longer, eye to eye, than the pregen shocks. I tried looking for a picture that was posted on this forum before, but was unable to find it, but I think I remember it showing the newgen shock next to two iterations of pregen shocks and I remember it being about an inch longer.

Alex
January 28th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Hi Kelly -

Here's a link to a pic of the two shocks next to eachother. The new-gen sure does look a bit longer:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=59926&postcount=15

Here's another link of Craig's that tends to agree that the bike sits approx 1" higher in the rear:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=209285&postcount=2

kkim
January 28th, 2011, 06:40 PM
thanks, Alex.

:yo:

HKr1
January 29th, 2011, 07:52 PM
It's a tad longer. When its on the center stand, the tire is still on the ground.
You have to put the center stand on a 1/2" piece of wood :)

JeffM
January 30th, 2011, 07:27 AM
With Pirelli Diablos, my rear tire just clears the ground when the bike is on the center stand, no wood needed. The rear ride height only matters when you are on the bike. That is the geometry that will change rake angle when riding.

Clearance issues aside, it is the amount of sag that is the biggest initial difference. My OEM shock compressed a lot when I sat on the bike. I haven't measured sag, before and after, but it is now only about 2 inches. Prior to changing the shock, it had to be about 4.

Yesterday, I went for an hour ride, on city streets, and I am pleased with the transformation. The bike now feels more balanced fore and aft. The OEM sprung bike felt like I was overwhelming the rear suspension and would compress and unload a ton over bumps. I used to worry about bottoming out when cornering. Once I actually did and never wanted to repeat that surprise.

So far I am pleased. Not a bad upgrade for $50 and thirty minutes of my time.

ninjette997
July 19th, 2011, 01:27 PM
So far I am pleased. Not a bad upgrade for $50 and thirty minutes of my time.

For $40, and a little more time, you can also install a fully adjustable OEM GSX-R shock that includes: spring pre-load, compression damping and rebound damping.

For several hundred dollars, you could install a used Penske or Ohlins from a GSX-R.

JeffM
July 19th, 2011, 02:09 PM
For $40, and a little more time, you can also install a fully adjustable OEM GSX-R shock that includes: spring pre-load, compression damping and rebound damping.

For several hundred dollars, you could install a used Penske or Ohlins from a GSX-R.

I used the 2009 due to ease of installation (literally 10-15 minutes, plug and play), price, and I felt that it was a great option for the type of riding I do. Commuting and canyon riding. Further, I think a Penske or Ohlins would be way overkill for our 250's unless your are serious about racing.

I considered the GSX-R but went with ease of installation of the new OEM ninja unit.

Jeff

ninjette997
July 19th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I used the 2009 due to ease of installation (literally 10-15 minutes, plug and play), price, and I felt that it was a great option for the type of riding I do. Commuting and canyon riding. Further, I think a Penske or Ohlins would be way overkill for our 250's unless your are serious about racing.

I considered the GSX-R but went with ease of installation of the new OEM ninja unit.

Jeff

You bet, glad that you are happy with your modification. We just installed the Gixxer unit on my wife's 250.

JeffM
July 19th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Pictures?

ninjette997
July 19th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Pictures?

No pictures now. Perhaps when we replace the tires in the next few weeks.

Snake
July 19th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I just purchased a 250 J shock from a member and am waiting for it to arrive. While I have the rear wheel off for the shock mod I am thinking about pulling the swingarm off and painting it black like the newgens.
My stock shock is sticking so this is the perfect opportunity to upgrade.

ninjette997
July 19th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I just purchased a 250 J shock from a member and am waiting for it to arrive. While I have the rear wheel off for the shock mod I am thinking about pulling the swingarm off and painting it black like the newgens.
My stock shock is sticking so this is the perfect opportunity to upgrade.

Hell yes paint that swing arm black!

I wanted to paint my ZZR600 frame and swingarm black so freakin' bad. I did it a little differently though, I sold the ZZR and bought an R6 that already came black from the factory.

Black swingarms and frames are nice looking!

Snake
July 19th, 2011, 03:55 PM
JeffM,
How hard is it to adjust the preload after the shock is installed? Do you have to take it off to re-adjust?

JeffM
July 19th, 2011, 04:10 PM
JeffM,
How hard is it to adjust the preload after the shock is installed? Do you have to take it off to re-adjust?

No need to take the shock off. I found you do have to take off the left side panel to get enough access to get the adjuster wrench on the adjuster ring. On the right side the brake reservoir gets in the way.

Oh, and you will really like the difference. I weigh 180+- and initally had it set to the second to lowest setting and found that stiffer than the old-gen OEM. For my track day I set it to the next to stiffest setting and have left it there. Good for the canyons.

Jeff

Snake
July 19th, 2011, 04:35 PM
JeffM, Addjuster wrench. That is something I have not thought of. Where is the best place to buy and adjuster wrench and what size do I need?
Thanks,
Rick

EsrTek
July 19th, 2011, 06:55 PM
JeffM, Addjuster wrench. That is something I have not thought of. Where is the best place to buy and adjuster wrench and what size do I need?
Thanks,
Rick
It's a custom shape, I believe.
Probably your best bet is to buy a tool kit from someone selling parts from a crashed newgen.

Cuongism
July 20th, 2011, 01:11 AM
It's a spanner wrench. Cycle gear sells a spanner attachment that connects to a ratchet, but it's not as sturdy as the one from the toolkit. It's only $6.58 from bikebandit, part 92110B. I do recommend also getting the extension tool to add leverage, part 92111.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2008-kawasaki-ex250j8f-ninja-250r/o/m17215#sch550353

Snake
July 20th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the link Cuong.

CynicalC
July 20th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the reminder. I need to do mine! Got it about 2 weeks ago and it's just been sitting.

choneofakind
July 20th, 2011, 06:06 AM
this sounds dumb, but if you do this swap, make sure to re adjust your headlight. I finally adjusted mine and it helps a ton

JeffM
July 20th, 2011, 07:24 AM
this sounds dumb, but if you do this swap, make sure to re adjust your headlight. I finally adjusted mine and it helps a ton

Funny, I never thought to do that. I'll have to check how ny healight is aimed. I'm sure it is a little low as the new-gen shock raises the rear of my pre-gen up. Even with the sag I'd imagine the light is aimed a tad low.

Thanks!:D

choneofakind
July 20th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Yeah I never thought to either until I realized even my bright light wasnt cutting it on a backroad. Duh it was way too low. It took like 3 full turns of the screw driver in the adjuster to get it closer. The low beam is actualy not worthless now and the high beam is perfect