View Full Version : high speed + wind

onizthegnome
January 29th, 2011, 12:47 PM
nice and sunny today, i took the ninjette out for a ride by the scenic twisties out here. i was mostly going 45-55mph but there were some times when it was just me, a straight road, and a slow car in front. obviously i made sure there was no traffic on the other lane before overtaking. id speed up to about 65-70mph and then id start to feel either the wind hitting me hard from the side or just the oncoming wind from riding fast blowing me hard. it makes my helmet/body wobble a bit and sometimes i feel the bike might be wobbling too. it makes me feel like i might lose control so my reaction is to reduce speed. is this normal at higher speeds or should i be fully tucked to avoid the blast of air?

kingkang204
January 29th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but at higher speeds the bike is more stable due to the gyroscopic motion of the crankshaft. Previously reading through other thread I think the major recontamination was just relax. I've had some pretty strong gusts hit me from the side and its surprising but as long as you compensate some for the wind you'll be fine. As far a tucking behind the windscreen it would help some because you're reducing the area in which the wind could affect.
Hope this helps.

coondog
January 29th, 2011, 01:42 PM
lean forward where helmet is extension of windscreen and counter steer with side winds. if not cumfy going 65-70 don't do it yet. it will always be there waiting for yah dude, patience, happy trails.

Yasko
January 29th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Also very windy in Texas today...:plane:

Alex
January 29th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Riding in the wind (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11498) thread (from the sticky at the top of the riding skills area). :thumbup:

gfloyd2002
January 29th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Wind speeds of 20mph pretty much constant here this time of year, and can get 40mph gusts when the daily storm fronts pass through. I stay in if gusts are stronger than that. Here's how I cope:

*keep your shoulders/arms relaxed so you getting blown doesn't jerk the handlebars and make you feel like you've got the wobbles;
*minimize the "sail" area on the bike, so go into tuck, don't have tailbags/backpack/etc.;
*countersteer into the wind - countersteering forces are stronger than the strongest gusts. Lean into it like a corner if you have to;
*going slower doesn't help. The bike is more stable at speed, taking advantage of gyroscopic effect and inertia;
*move to the upwind side of the lane to give you more leeway if you get blown a bit;
*watch the trees/plants in your peripheral vision and you can get a few seconds warning of a big gust coming your way. When you see it coming, get upwind in the lane, be ready to countersteer and make sure your arms are relaxed;
*be careful of effect of wind around big trucks/buildings - it can intensify the gusts.

JMcDonald
January 30th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Great advice! Though, I pretty much always have a backpack. I mostly notice the bike moving underneath me, and no so much that I myself get blown around much.

Yasko
January 30th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Wind speeds of 20mph pretty much constant here this time of year, and can get 40mph gusts when the daily storm fronts pass through. I stay in if gusts are stronger than that. Here's how I cope:

*keep your shoulders/arms relaxed so you getting blown doesn't jerk the handlebars and make you feel like you've got the wobbles;
*minimize the "sail" area on the bike, so go into tuck, don't have tailbags/backpack/etc.;
*countersteer into the wind - countersteering forces are stronger than the strongest gusts. Lean into it like a corner if you have to;
*going slower doesn't help. The bike is more stable at speed, taking advantage of gyroscopic effect and inertia;
*move to the upwind side of the lane to give you more leeway if you get blown a bit;
*watch the trees/plants in your peripheral vision and you can get a few seconds warning of a big gust coming your way. When you see it coming, get upwind in the lane, be ready to countersteer and make sure your arms are relaxed;
*be careful of effect of wind around big trucks/buildings - it can intensify the gusts.

Good...Thanks...:thumbup:

FrugalNinja250
February 4th, 2011, 11:47 AM
FWIW, gyroscopic forces from the crank are negligible.

Alex
February 4th, 2011, 12:45 PM
On a 250, perhaps. But on a literbike with a 30+ pound crank spinning at 10,000 RPM, the gyro effect is very noticeable. Now that the surrounding parts/engineering/design and even weight are so similar between the 600 class and the 1000 class; the gyroscopic force of the larger engine is pretty much the only factor that make them more effort to turn, and lowers ultimate corner speed compared to a smaller (but not lighter) bike.

JMcDonald
February 4th, 2011, 12:52 PM
In any case, I think he mostly meant gyroscopic forces from the wheels :) .

Animal78
February 4th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Yeah the gyro force of the wheels is pretty much keeping you upright. The wind is a problem. You have to stay relaxed though. I still sometimes struggle with this. I have ridden through a rainstorm with 50-60mph gusts. As was mentioned before going slower made things much much worse. I unfortunately had to slow down cause the driving rain was effecting my vision and stinging the crap out of my forearms. Figures I would forget my jacket and get caught in such a awful storm. I ended up after riding a few miles finding a place to take shelter. Dry off a bit wait for the wind to die down then set out again only to be riding in that same storm for another 60 miles.

The best advice I could give anyone is to stay calm and if you find yourself unable to deal with the wind stop and take a break. Personally if the wind is more than a steady 20-25 mph crossing me I park it. It just takes the fun outta riding.

JMcDonald
February 4th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Yeah the gyro force of the wheels is pretty much keeping you upright.
The same forces also minimize the change in direction for a given amount of wind pressure. So, the faster you go, the less erratic the bike will be under higher cross winds.

Personally if the wind is more than a steady 20-25 mph crossing me I park it. It just takes the fun outta riding.
Aww that ain't so bad :) .

Animal78
February 5th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Yeah 20-25 mph wind isn't too bad until you go over a very tall bridge where the wind is blowing harder or if you are going less than 50mph. I noticed today that if you have the engine revved over 8K and are doing 40 it isn't too bad but if you upshift there is a small difference as well. So the engines forces do help some too. Nothing like the force of the wheels though.

Kipawa
February 18th, 2011, 06:20 AM
In any case, I think he mostly meant gyroscopic forces from the wheels :) .

:thumbup:

bhalv
March 26th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I usually just hunker down on the bike and focus in not getting pushed out of the lane

Yasko
May 29th, 2011, 07:42 PM
It's kind of fun to ride in the wind, now that I've been riding everyday...:plane:

It good what time in the seat will do for your confidence...:thumbup:

Boom King
May 31st, 2011, 05:11 PM
First time I had a strong wind gust, it was a bit nerve racking. I leaned into the wind but the bike was still drifting. I didn't want to lean too much as I was afraid the tires might slip out from underneath me. Second time this happened, I corrected my previous mistakes by remembering to tuck in a bit, lean but also add some counter steer and focusing my eyes on where I wanted to go and not where the wind was pushing me. My technique is not perfect yet but I found that these corrections helped.

phr3ek
May 31st, 2011, 06:18 PM
on the 250, i hide next to a car :p

on the 636 i power it out :D

Havok
May 31st, 2011, 06:58 PM
Riding home from the last tech day it was pretty fun to have to lean over as if you were turning just to go straight the wind was so bad.

Relax your arms and shoulders, i think what you are feeling is the sensation of speed on a motorcycle, soon enough you will be WOT on that sucker just stick to your comfort zone.

Linuss
May 31st, 2011, 07:34 PM
One of the first few times I rode, I rode in some pretty strong wind, to the point where I was leaning my bike as if I was cornering, but just to keep it straight. A couple of strong gusts would push me from one side of the lane to the other, once almost off a bridge.

Now I refuse to ride if the wind is above 20-25ish, which it has been this week. I just don't find it fun, or safe.

Mizono
May 31st, 2011, 09:29 PM
yeah high winds are no fun. even though i know im relatively ok its still unnerving feeling the bike sway so much. i know eventually i wont be bothered too much by it but still

setasai
June 1st, 2011, 12:31 AM
You get used to it. Important thing is to know your limit. If you feel uneasy then that's a sign to either ride a little more to see if you get used to it or take a break. A few times even in a car, I felt like the wind was too much and I end up pulling over for a shake or froyo.

ricochet08
June 1st, 2011, 12:06 PM
I felt like the wind was too much and I end up pulling over for a shake or froyo.

I still haven't had any Froyo yet :( but i love stopping to get shakes :D

I remember my first big gust of wind, i got scared poopless!
you get used to it afterwhile, kinda fun, except when on the highway next to a semi :D

DarC
June 1st, 2011, 01:53 PM
In El Paso the winds are something you MUST know how to ride in, they are always here and they are bad. 45 with gusts in the 60's are very common. I have multiple backup routes planned if it happens to rain with these winds, or if they are just so horrible or I'm tired. It just takes getting used to how your bike is going to react. Definitely loosen your grip on the bars. Other than that I do the same as quoted below....

*watch the trees/plants in your peripheral vision and you can get a few seconds warning of a big gust coming your way. When you see it coming, get upwind in the lane, be ready to countersteer and make sure your arms are relaxed; I have a huge American flag at the beginning of my commute and I judge using that.

I can't wait to go somewhere without crazy winds!!!

peachdiddy
June 1st, 2011, 09:42 PM
Just today I took my lovely on a couple hundred mile trip. The weather channel was actually advising 40-50+ wind gusts with a steady wind of 20-30. It was a newer experience for me. I was all geared up and ready to take it on. I have stomp grips, so it helps me to clench with my legs and loosen my upper body. I had a ten mile stretch of road that my helmet was actually trying to lift right up off my head. The important thing is to stay vigilant and relaxed. And enjoy powering through the wind :D. Oh, and if your uncomfortable, don't hog the road, let people pass. Youlll find that very beneficial.

Yasko
June 19th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I rode my bike today in 30mph+ wind on the highway, and it's funny how it's no big deal for me now, after 4500+ miles...:thumbup: I never thought I'd get so comfortable on a 250cc motorcycle...:confused: