View Full Version : Make yourself visible.

JeffM
February 19th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Here is a video that shows some techniques you can use to make drivers see you while riding. Pay particular attention to the demonstrations that show how small bikes can look while approaching and how weaving makes your more visible when approaching a situation where a conflict could occur. I think motorists mistake the visual cues of an approaching bike. They are normally looking for larger vehicles and misjudge approach rates of motorcycles.

Interesting that the author states that Hi-Vis gear, while recommended, can also break-up your silhouette.

eqQBubilSXU

wvninja
February 19th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Hmm good advice. I'm going to start using that.

Snake
February 19th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I usualy flash my lights from bright (I always use my brights during the day) to low and back to bright when aproaching a car at an intersection to make sure he sees me. The weaving teqnique is some great advice.

Yasko
February 19th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Thank you so much...That's a life saver video...:thumbup:

JeffM
February 19th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I usualy flash my lights from bright (I always use my brights during the day) to low and back to bright when aproaching a car at an intersection to make sure he sees me. The weaving teqnique is some great advice.

Just make sure that flashing your lights is not interpreted as a sign to go ahead by the other driver.

gogoKawi
February 19th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Funny thing is I do that all the time. I don't trust drivers to see or hear me at all. Making yourself more visible by weaving does help. But you should also prepare yourself for any sudden pull out by the driver as well. Despite the weaving, the driver still might not see you and decide to just make the turn. Has happened to me a couple of times. Luckily, no accidents yet.

S.I.D.S.Y.! LOL. That is exactly what I hear all the time.

Great vid. Ride safe!

gfloyd2002
February 20th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Just make sure that flashing your lights is not interpreted as a sign to go ahead by the other driver.

That may depend on local custom. Here in the Caribbean, flashing lights is a the common way to communicate "please go ahead." Due to politeness of Bajans, it is very common to stop in the middle of the road to let someone in from a side road, and the way you let them know about it is is the light flashing. It would be VERY dangerous here to use it as a visibility tool. Not sure where else this is common, but you'd better know your local culture well.

Weaving is something I usually do, gets the tires warm and makes you more visable. Double bonus! Great vid, thanks for posting!