View Full Version : Racing: Tires & Chain/Sprocket setup...

Order
February 21st, 2011, 07:30 PM
I'm prepping my '08 and wanted to ask what others were running, if I was headed in the right direction or not. I've read through some threads on here, but wanted more directed input.

TIRES: I was considering running this tire setup //
110/70-17 Pirelli SuperCorsa (Cold:29/Hot:31)
140/70-17 Bridgestone BT-003RS (Cold:25/Hot:30-31)

I thought about the Bridgestone BT-090 140/70-17 but from what I've been told/read the 003RS is the better choice.. true?

CHAIN/SPROCKETS //
Still on the fence here, I've read mixed things about the 428 setup, but am considering a 520 stock gearing setup with a few extra rear sprockets (+1/+3) to see how it feels.

Thoughts?

tiggen
February 22nd, 2011, 05:52 AM
All the Southeast racers run 003's front and rear. One guys runs Michelin, don't know the model. As of last season people are starting to ditch the 110 for the 120/70 up front as well (and winning on it).

Most in the SE run 520, some have a 428. Obviously gearing depends on your track.

I have a 13T and 14T front and a 45T, 46T, and 47T rear. Our biggest track is Road Atlanta, with a looong back straight, and I'm pretty sure everybody runs stock. All the other stuff is for the tighter tracks.

I'm prepping my '08 and wanted to ask what others were running, if I was headed in the right direction or not. I've read through some threads on here, but wanted more directed input.

I thought about the Bridgestone BT-090 140/70-17 but from what I've been told/read the 003RS is the better choice.. true?

CHAIN/SPROCKETS //
Still on the fence here, I've read mixed things about the 428 setup, but am considering a 520 stock gearing setup with a few extra rear sprockets (+1/+3) to see how it feels.

Thoughts?

Rexbo
February 22nd, 2011, 10:18 AM
the pirelli SC1 and bt-003rs is what I'll be running this year on my race bike. Couldn't tell you about tire pressures though, I haven't had a chance to get that combo on the track yet. I'll be running the 520 chain at stock gearing as well, but have a couple different sprockets as well so again, will be playing with different combos. I'd really like a 420 chain setup but maybe later in the season.

Order
February 22nd, 2011, 10:29 AM
the pirelli SC1 and bt-003rs is what I'll be running this year on my race bike. Couldn't tell you about tire pressures though, I haven't had a chance to get that combo on the track yet. I'll be running the 520 chain at stock gearing as well, but have a couple different sprockets as well so again, will be playing with different combos. I'd really like a 420 chain setup but maybe later in the season.

Have you raced with the BT-003RS front/rear? Why are you using the SC1?

Do you know where to get the 420 setup? ;)

Rexbo
February 22nd, 2011, 10:40 AM
Have you raced with the BT-003RS front/rear? Why are you using the SC1?

Do you know where to get the 420 setup? ;)

I did a pretty low-key track day with the 003rs front/rear combo (had to fly to Boston the next day, so didn't feel like having a self-inflicted crash!) and the grip was great on the tires. The front tire did feel a little vague, but that was also with my stock front forks, which may have just been riding on the bumpstops with the higher grip that the tires have. It definitely did have lots of grip, but I was being lazy and didn't play with tire pressures or rear shock at all to possibly improve the front end grip.

Are the people in your series just shoehorning a 120 width tire onto the smaller width rim?

Order
February 22nd, 2011, 12:23 PM
I did a pretty low-key track day with the 003rs front/rear combo (had to fly to Boston the next day, so didn't feel like having a self-inflicted crash!) and the grip was great on the tires. The front tire did feel a little vague, but that was also with my stock front forks, which may have just been riding on the bumpstops with the higher grip that the tires have. It definitely did have lots of grip, but I was being lazy and didn't play with tire pressures or rear shock at all to possibly improve the front end grip.

Are the people in your series just shoehorning a 120 width tire onto the smaller width rim?

The Ninja class is starting out this season, so everyone is trying to figure out what to run. So I'm all ears as to what's already proven.

Order
February 22nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
All the Southeast racers run 003's front and rear. One guys runs Michelin, don't know the model. As of last season people are starting to ditch the 110 for the 120/70 up front as well (and winning on it).

Most in the SE run 520, some have a 428. Obviously gearing depends on your track.

I have a 13T and 14T front and a 45T, 46T, and 47T rear. Our biggest track is Road Atlanta, with a looong back straight, and I'm pretty sure everybody runs stock. All the other stuff is for the tighter tracks.

Good to know about the 003's and 120... it's starting to sound like 120 front is the route to go.

Where are people getting 428 setups? Also curious where people are ordering their 520's from.

I really want to ride Road Atlanta. I'm sure I'll start with stock gearing to see how it pans out.

Nemesis
February 22nd, 2011, 12:39 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31562

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28663

tiggen
February 22nd, 2011, 01:25 PM
Good to know about the 003's and 120... it's starting to sound like 120 front is the route to go.

Where are people getting 428 setups? Also curious where people are ordering their 520's from.

I really want to ride Road Atlanta. I'm sure I'll start with stock gearing to see how it pans out.

Guy named thrak at superbikeconnection.com runs it. You can ask him. Don't know anything about them.

As for where for 520:

Pit Bull, new gen rear sprockets are part# 04058, and are labeled for R6, R1, and Gixxer of various years. I don't know the part number for new gen front sprockets, as I run an old gen motor/bike.

Vortex also makes them, don't know anything about them.

tiggen
February 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
The Ninja class is starting out this season, so everyone is trying to figure out what to run. So I'm all ears as to what's already proven.

More info here:

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=257086

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=198385

V2Neal
February 22nd, 2011, 01:58 PM

CHAIN/SPROCKETS //

I ran BT003's front and rear last year. I *think* I was told 28 PSI front and rear hot off the track. Pretty happy with the tires. Most were running them, but a couple guys are running Pirelli's.

I ran a 520 chain and sprockets. MRDL6 chain, stock front sprocket, Rebel Gears rear sprockets. For rears I had 44-47. Used mostly stock hearing for the short track and dropped to a 44 rear for the long track. I will have a 43 rear this year as I was banging the rev limiter through turn 1 which was killing me.

Dmitriy
February 24th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I have ran with a 45, 44 & 43. 43 Works great for tail-wind / drafting on a long straight situation as it affords you a few more RPM.

As for chain size think about this:
How hard would it be for you to get a replacement chain / sprocket on a moments notice at a race weekend / trackday? I know 520 is EXTREMELY common. 428 not so much from the parts vendor. So if you think your weekend would be ruined by lack of spare parts you might want to go with a common size.

kingkang204
February 25th, 2011, 08:02 PM
This is really convenient because I was just going to post about running a 120/140 setup on bt-003 rs's. After reading through old bt-090 threads its seems like running a 120 in the front would help the tip-in into a corner because the profile of the tire is taller, thus more round(correct me if I'm wrong though).

Order- I might see you at the Ninja cup this summer, I'm still on the edge about racing it. You guys will most likely lap me, but I think it'll be a good time. Would I need any prior racing experience ex) track day school?

tiggen
February 26th, 2011, 01:54 PM
This is really convenient because I was just going to post about running a 120/140 setup on bt-003 rs's. After reading through old bt-090 threads its seems like running a 120 in the front would help the tip-in into a corner because the profile of the tire is taller, thus more round(correct me if I'm wrong though).

Order- I might see you at the Ninja cup this summer, I'm still on the edge about racing it. You guys will most likely lap me, but I think it'll be a good time. Would I need any prior racing experience ex) track day school?

Do you want to race WERA? WERA requires a race school. They put one on sometimes the Friday of race weekend. Or you could do Ed Bargy's school, which, by all accounts, is good. Where in AL are you?

Don't worry about getting lapped. In the SE there are slow riders and fast riders, and we all have a blast. Good people too. Come join the fun!

kingkang204
February 26th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Do you want to race WERA? WERA requires a race school. They put one on sometimes the Friday of race weekend. Or you could do Ed Bargy's school, which, by all accounts, is good. Where in AL are you?

Don't worry about getting lapped. In the SE there are slow riders and fast riders, and we all have a blast. Good people too. Come join the fun!

Sorry, never changed my side info. I actually live in Washington.

I'm only 17 and I'm heading off to college this summer so I don't think I'll actually do club/league racing more like track days. I haven't read through the whole Ninja Cup rules, just sort of skimmed through to know if I need to attend a class or anything first and how long it lasts(If I can participate in 1 or 2 maybe).

But as for the tires, I'm trying to decide between the 090's and the 003's. I'm more towards the 090's because from what I read the were actually made for smaller displacement bikes unlike the 003's, which from what I've read were a bigger bike tire (600cc+) but made in a smaller size for our bikes. The only reason I'm a little hesitant about the 090's is that people are saying they only get about 2000 miles out of the rear tire, because I do ride often(If the weather permits.)

As far as size wise I think I'm going to get 120/140 either way because I believe it was KKim, Kurosaki and some other people awhile ago that were wanting 120's over 110's because it would help the tip-in.

Alex
February 26th, 2011, 09:46 PM
As far as size wise I think I'm going to get 120/140 either way because I believe it was KKim, Kurosaki and some other people awhile ago that were wanting 120's over 110's because it would help the tip-in.

Nope. AFAICR, (as far as I can remember :)) none of those folks have ever recommended the 120 front. The profile on the front tire is even more important than the rear for feel. A 120 will also raise the front end quite a bit, exactly what one would not want for quick steering and better ultimate performance.

kkim
February 26th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I have 110 F and 150 R. When the 150 wears out (long time from now :p), I think I'll be headed back down to a 140 or 130 if I can find suitable radials.

kingkang204
February 26th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Nope. AFAICR, (as far as I can remember :)) none of those folks have ever recommended the 120 front. The profile on the front tire is even more important than the rear for feel. A 120 will also raise the front end quite a bit, exactly what one would not want for quick steering and better ultimate performance.

http://www.kawiforums.com/group-buys/123026-bt-090-tires-look-here-3.html
that was the thread I was basing my info off of, but other than stuff I read I really have no knowledge in terms of tires because the only set of motorcycle tires I've ever had are these IRC's which I'am hoping to replace soon. So 110/140 will most likely be the combo I pick now.

KKim- If it were your choice would you choose the 003's or the 090's?

ztrack157
February 26th, 2011, 10:04 PM
All the fast guys are on a 110 front. The 090 is a slightly stickier tire but it wears out a little faster and has a harder carcass than the 003 rs. I am also not a fan of their tri compound on the 003rs tire.

kkim
February 26th, 2011, 10:16 PM
KKim- If it were your choice would you choose the 003's or the 090's?

for street use, neither. I had the 090s and they wore way too fast... very sticky, though. I'd recommend the 016 110/150 for a good street setup. It's too bad the smallest they make in the 016 is a 150, but fortunately, it's a "smaller" sized 150 compared to others, so it's more than passable for street duty as well as canyon work. :ride:

tiggen
February 27th, 2011, 06:20 AM

All the fast guys are on a 110 front. The 090 is a slightly stickier tire but it wears out a little faster and has a harder carcass than the 003 rs. I am also not a fan of their tri compound on the 003rs tire.

I think I need to clarify that 120/70 003 front that the SE guys run is the race tire, not the R/S. We use race front and R/S rear. Seems to be working, and with as little trail as these bikes have, I'm okay with a bigger front.

Alex
February 27th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Makes sense - do you drop the forks like crazy to try and compensate? All of the bikes I've seen sitting on 120's look like choppers they are lifted so high in the front.

ztrack157
February 27th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I knew that john. Other than gary I don't think anyone else runs anything other than bridgestones in the se. Your pirelli vendor is not up to expectations down there from what I have heard from racers which sucks cause their fronts are truly the top dog. I don't want to take business away from stick cause I know you all are loyal to him. I recommend the rears in the 140's from bridgestone but not the fronts. In the end its a personal preference.

tiggen
February 27th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Makes sense - do you drop the forks like crazy to try and compensate? All of the bikes I've seen sitting on 120's look like choppers they are lifted so high in the front.

I don't know. I have an old gen that I just put the 17in wheels on, so everything that I have posted is just the info that I've been given as I get ready for the new tires.

The B-stone 003 120/70/17 was actually 18mm less in circumference than the Dunlop GT501 110/90/16 I used to run, and the 140/70/17 R/S is 22mm less than my old 130/90/16. Think that translates to almost a quarter inch in height lost in the front and about 1/3 of an inch in the rear.

I'm not gonna change any frame geometry until I ride the new tires and see what it feels like.

I did try a GT501 120/80/16 front, and it def. looked like a chopper. I only ran it for one race, and it felt awful, but most of that may be attributable to the fact that my tire pressure gauge was off by +4psi (as I later found out). Tipping the bike over with any speed sent the bike into a jackhammer that skipped to the outside. Calibrate those tire gauges!!

ithaca00
March 2nd, 2011, 12:15 AM
For the racers with AFM that tried the 120 front tire, they all changed back to a 110. The word is that it slowed direction changes noticeably.

esi7esi7
March 3rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
For the racers with AFM that tried the 120 front tire, they all changed back to a 110. The word is that it slowed direction changes noticeably.

So is everyone on 110 fronts using the BT090?

I tried the 110 front with the Pirelli setup but didn't' care too much for the 150 rear.

ztrack157
March 3rd, 2011, 09:07 PM
The rs is what the track providers carry. most use it with the 110 pirelli

ithaca00
March 3rd, 2011, 09:55 PM
So is everyone on 110 fronts using the BT090?

I tried the 110 front with the Pirelli setup but didn't' care too much for the 150 rear.

For those that aren't sponsored by a tire manufacturer, or should I say single manufacturer, they're using the 110 Pirelli and the 140 Bridgestone 003RS. I'm slow and had no issues on the 110/140 003RS, but at least I'm faster than Matt! :p

esi7esi7
March 4th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Aaahhh that makes sense. I may try that for my next set. :)

tiggen
March 4th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Do you guys not chase contingecy money out there? Or just not tire contingency money?

Order
March 4th, 2011, 11:26 AM
For those that aren't sponsored by a tire manufacturer, or should I say single manufacturer, they're using the 110 Pirelli and the 140 Bridgestone 003RS. I'm slow and had no issues on the 110/140 003RS, but at least I'm faster than Matt! :p

What compound of the Pirelli 110 are you running and the 140 003RS only comes in one compound, right?