View Full Version : Advanced Rider Course - Sport Bike Technique

oroboros
February 24th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Have you taken this course?

It is an MSF course and it is being offered here locally (Knoxville, TN).

Description
Based on the military Sport Bike Rider Course, this one-day course is for experienced riders who desire to learn and
practice more in-depth riding techniques. Classroom activities use small group discussions and interactive activities
to address personal risk management strategies; to discuss options for cornering, braking and swerving; and to
improve visual perception to identify collision traps. Oncycle range exercises provide practice in cornering, braking
and swerving. There is no skill test in this course. The class is open to all licensed riders no matter what type of
motorcycle they ride. Riders must have proof of insurance and bikes must pass a pre-course inspection. Riders must
wear proper gear and no passengers are allowed. An MSF completion card will be issued which can be used for
insurance discounts. Classroom time is three hours with five hours range time. Class is limited to 12.

I saw another thread regarding the "Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Rider Clinic". That looks awesome but I know of nothing like that near me.

Nemesis
February 24th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I've taken it long time ago and it's a good course to take to brush up or enhance on your skills.

Also, some insurance companies offer a discount on your insurance for taking advance courses such as these.

JeffM
February 26th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Took it two or three years ago. Like Nemesis said, it is a good course to brush up on skills and to shake off some off-season rust from your riding.

I remember that it was similar to the beginner class, without the testing, and emphasized much finer skills. My instructors were very good at pointing out small issues in my riding.

It was worth my time and money and ended up being a fun day hanging out with other riders.

almost40
February 26th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Trackday is next on the agenda. I think a trackday with instruction is your best bet. After a few trackdays and some spirited riding on the track the street feels tame by comparison. You learn the capabilities of your machine and that in turn makes you a safer rider. (In my opinion)

Cazper
February 26th, 2011, 01:28 PM
In the military not only are these courses mandatory... they are free as well! I've taken of coarse the Basic Rider Course, Military SportBike Rider Course and the Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic levels 1 & 2. All of the courses were great in their own right and I love the fact that I got out of work for the time and never spent a penny!

Even if I did have to pay for them I believe I would knowing what I know now having gone through the courses... highly recommended! :thumbup:

oroboros
February 26th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Awesome, thanks the feedback. I am signing up for the class and looking forward to it. I agree about getting to the track. That's what I want to do but I don't now of anything around me. Basically Google does not show anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
February 26th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Take it... what have you got to lose?

gfloyd2002
February 26th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I had hoped to take an advanced rider course when back in the U.S. in first 2 weeks of July, but having trouble finding a course available at that time. MSF, Lee Parks school, Superbike School schedules all don't seem to work. Any suggestions relatively convenient to California most welcome.

KJohnson21
March 15th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I work at an Air Force Base and I got to take the Advanced MSF course for free a few years ago, even though I'm a contractor. Contractors were "wait listed" and could only participate if all the slots weren't taken by the military. At that time, they figured they're going to teach the class anyway (the MSF instructors were AF members), they might as well fill it up. I think they send 'em off to another base, or something, these days.

The class was great. I've been riding for years, and I did well, but it still helped me clean up a number of "bad habits" that I didn't think were a big deal before.

oroboros
March 15th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I signed up for the class. It's this Saturday and the weather looks like its going be nice. 70 and sunny. It was $95 though it sounds like it will be well worth it. Looking forward to learning!
Posted via Mobile Device

bob706
March 15th, 2011, 06:49 PM
ARC is a great class and some insurers I'm told will give you a bit of a break for taking the coarse.

oroboros
March 20th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Trackday is next on the agenda. I think a trackday with instruction is your best bet. After a few trackdays and some spirited riding on the track the street feels tame by comparison. You learn the capabilities of your machine and that in turn makes you a safer rider. (In my opinion)

So I took the ARC class yesterday. I guess perhaps I may have been slightly mislead by the "sportbike technique" description. I can't complain really, perhaps just my expectations were a little different.

Now I want a track day. I did just find this track school which looks like a great intro http://www.schwantzschoolnews.com/ For $2K and a couple hours drive to Birmingham...now I just need $2K :eek:

I was the youngest guy at the ARC by 20 + years and the only sports bike! It was 4 Honda Goldwings and an ST 1300. It was kinda comical watching the GW's try and swerve. One gentleman was a bit more elderly and did not seem to care where the cones where. He just kinda meandered around the lot and failed to follow basic instructions like how to leave the staging area. I imagine he is on his way to Florida with his turn signal on.

One instructor grew very fond of the little Ninja as the day progressed. (He drove a GW) He was talking about getting himself one by the end of the day.

Basically there were 5 Hondas in my way all day. Other than that it was nice to have a big parking lot to practice on. I did not get much instruction so I guess I did well. But what the heck, doing a quick swerve or decreasing radius turn on a Ninja 250 is pretty damn easy compared to 900# GoldWing.

RedCromwell
March 20th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I was looking at taking the ARC in my area. It's only $35 for in-state residents.

It's also advertised as a "Sports Bike Techniques" class. I was thinking of taking a peek at what they do first before I actually sign-up.

Last year when I took the MSF class, I think the class coming in after us was the ARC. One of the instructors was screaming at the class. I mean, he was in their face yelling at them. Didn't actually get to see what they were doing wrong to have him fly off like that.

Regardless, I don't think I'd like to attend a class he's teaching.

oroboros
March 20th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Well, for $35 and a Saturday its probably worth it just to ride the drills (unless your being verbally abused!)
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
March 20th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I'd take the course, if I were you. If yelling starts, leave. Turn his name in to the MSF national office with your complaints. Better still, wear a GoPro while you're at the course and your have video documentation, if abuse occurs.

Around here, the ARC and sport bike safety classes are 2 different courses.

AMMOCAN
March 21st, 2011, 02:12 AM
@ gfloyd2002:

I am not sure where in California you are looking to take it, but here are some of the places that offer the Advanced Riders Course. However, it looks like the Long Beach facility is the only one who is in exact association with MSF. They only show the courses they have scheduled next month, but in April they will start listing May's schedule and so on. Hope this helps!

CFGS Travis AFB DRMO LOT (MILITARY ONLY)
Contact Provider
(855) 842-7232 Travis AFB CA

SIERRA COLLEGE COMMUNITY EDUCATION SIERRA COLLEGE EAST
Contact Provider
(916) 660-7160 ROCKLIN CA

BIKESMART MOTORCYCLE TRAINING SAN JOSE AIRPORT
Contact Provider
(408) 244-0197 SAN JOSE CA

MSF - CMSP DRTC Discovery Rider Training Center - Lot P
1 class scheduled
from 04/17/2011 16yrs and up.
$100.00 - $100.00
(866) 804-5537
5901 E. 7th Street, LONG BEACH, CA 90822

MCB CAMP PENDLETON Staff Club
Contact Provider
(760) 725-2897 CAMP PENDLETON CA

PACIFIC SAFETY COUNCIL PACIFIC SAFETY COUNCIL-RANGE 3 (NORTH)
Contact Provider
(858) 621-2313 CHULA VISTA CA

PACIFIC SAFETY COUNCIL PACIFIC SAFETY COUNCIL-RANGE 4 (SOUTH)
Contact Provider
(858) 621-2313 CHULA VISTA CA

Cuongism
March 21st, 2011, 11:03 AM
Do they still do surveys for MSF's? I remember my instructor said the foundation are usually responsive to the surveys given to everyone right after a course, so that can be another option if they start yelling.