View Full Version : Lost some weight

Bueller999
February 28th, 2011, 06:23 PM
So I am giving this new battery technology a try on the 250 that I am prepping. It was brought up in our race orgs forum, so when the battery in my Buell crapped out, I stole the battery out of the ninja to get it running and used this as an excuse to purchase this new battery for the race bike.

http://www.motydesign.com/
The OEM battery weighs 6 lbs 1.5 oz

4 cell next to my Droid
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/Bikes/NinjaPics/th_CIMG3081.jpg (http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/Bikes/NinjaPics/CIMG3081.jpg)

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/Bikes/NinjaPics/th_CIMG3086.jpg (http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/Bikes/NinjaPics/CIMG3086.jpg)

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/Bikes/NinjaPics/th_CIMG3089.jpg (http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/Bikes/NinjaPics/CIMG3089.jpg)

wayanlam
February 28th, 2011, 07:14 PM
how long do they claim that these Lithium batteries can hold out for?

did you get the 4 cell, or the 4 cell (2x2)? whats the difference? price is the same, and amps are the same... kind of clueless with electronics still.

the price isnt that bad actually, $110 for the 4 cell, compared to the $180 that it costs to buy an OEM battery here.

would they be suitable for day to day use, with the lights running and such?

Bueller999
March 1st, 2011, 06:23 AM
Only difference with the 4 cell units is how the cells are arranged.
This is going in a race bike so lights and other electronics are not a concern, but I am pretty sure it could handle it, there is a relay that keeps the headlight off until you start the bike. For street use you might want to consider the 8 cell.

BTW the shipping was free and priority mail so very quick!

kkim
March 1st, 2011, 12:26 PM
I've been using the same battery technology from TurnTech (http://www.turntechbattery.com/TurnTech%20Battery/Welcome.html) in the e-start dirt bikes for a few years now. The batteries are feather light and have never failed to start the bikes in a day of riding. Very important to me as the bikes have no backup kickstarter.

I do keep them on a smart charger when not in use, sitting in the garage between rides, to assure a full charge when starting out, though.

spooph
March 1st, 2011, 04:10 PM
ooo, that's some sparky stuff! I likey! Any word on if they'll blow up like the LiPO's? Should one take any precautions against thermal overload?

Bueller999
March 1st, 2011, 06:32 PM
They are supposed to be very stable and no special charging or balancing of cells. They actually recommend not using trickle chargers, as they don't have the capacity drop that lead acid batteries do.

kkim
March 1st, 2011, 06:49 PM
they don't have the capacity drop that lead acid batteries do.

that's not what I've found and will continue smart charging mine despite what they recommend.

warlord
March 1st, 2011, 07:56 PM
So they're using LiFe A123 cells (26650) producing 12.8v and 2.3Ah in a 4 cell pack. Not the greatest quality cells; good quality $9 26650 cell would produce 12.8v and 3.3Ah in a 4 cell pack.

Anyway, does the pack have a protection circuit built in to prevent over charging and discharging of the cells? Because you can buy a premade 12.8v 3.3Ah 4 cell pack for $50 or 6.6Ah 8 cell pack for $98. Or you can buy the cells for $10 each with tabs and make your own pack.

ithaca00
March 2nd, 2011, 12:09 AM
I'm not sure who you're racing with (WERA?) but make sure that batteries like that are legal for your class.

Jesse8931
March 28th, 2011, 12:36 PM
So just wondering for a race bike why not us a cap and just push start the bike ?

Nemesis
March 28th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I've had that on my 600rr for a couple years now (never battery tendered) and it has started EVERY SINGLE time. I've let the bike sit over a 6 month period and the bike started in its first push of a button. :thumbup:

A 6 lbs (give or take) drop is huge IMO.

ithaca00
March 28th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I've had that on my 600rr for a couple years now (never battery tendered) and it has started EVERY SINGLE time. I've let the bike sit over a 6 month period and the bike started in its first push of a button. :thumbup:

A 6 lbs (give or take) drop is huge IMO.

The capacitor would store the charge for that long? It wouldn't dissipate at all?

Jesse8931
March 28th, 2011, 01:36 PM
The capacitor would store the charge for that long? It wouldn't dissipate at all?

I think he is talking about a battery. I have used caps in racing scoots and it worked great so I'm sure it would work good for racing bigger bikes.

Nemesis
March 28th, 2011, 03:26 PM

Yeah...I was surprised too. Actually, I think it was sitting longer than 6 months.

Yeah, I'm talking about the battery itself.

spencerkro
March 28th, 2011, 03:32 PM
So, would these batteries work on a street bike that has to power several lights? Someone already asked this, but I'd like to hear more opinions.

Jesse8931
March 28th, 2011, 03:48 PM
So, would these batteries work on a street bike that has to power several lights? Someone already asked this, but I'd like to hear more opinions.

I wouldn't thats alot of money for a battery for the street.

Nemesis
March 28th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't thats alot of money for a battery for the street.

I would ask the seller. He's really up front about it.m
Posted via Mobile Device

spencerkro
April 5th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I would be losing about 5.5lbs.... street or racing thats a lot of weight!! The battery is also fairly high up, so I'd be lowering my center of gravity as well. I emailed the company, so we'll see if it can support the demands of a street bike.

spencerkro
April 5th, 2011, 05:52 PM
BTW does anyone know of any other companies that sell similar batteries and where they can be found? Maybe there are some for less money??

k-os
April 5th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Prices will be pretty similar. There's also Ballistic Performance Components (I ordered one of these for a different bike, and am waiting for it) and Shorai. Those are the other two I've heard of.

JS73
April 6th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Would like to try those, but they are illegal for WERA :(

spencerkro
April 6th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I emailed the company and asked if there 4 cell battery would supply adequate power to a (street) ninja 250. For those interested, the response I got was this

"yes the 4 cell has been proven a great battery in the street 250Rs. you would be fine, however we actually suggest that you do not hook it up to a tender as it will shorten the life of the battery and possibly damage the cells. if the battery was to go dead from leaving the bike on, it would be okay to use the tender to bring it back up to voltage. Just to be clear, these batteries require no manitenace, in the winter just unplug it from the bike and store in a cool dry place and it will not loose voltage in storage like a lead battery will."

sharky nrk
April 7th, 2011, 04:06 AM
yeah these ne Li batteries seem to be all the rage. I will probably be making the switch to one in my track bike, but not sure about the street bike yet. I had just bought a new AGM battery for the 6R last year and while 5 lbs is huge on a bike, for street riding I just don't see the need.

Bueller999
April 8th, 2011, 07:21 AM
I'm not sure who you're racing with (WERA?) but make sure that batteries like that are legal for your class.
Our first year, but at this time rules only state charging system must remain and function.
So just wondering for a race bike why not us a cap and just push start the bike ?
Why? 12oz's and I keep the magic button. I have had enough kick/push start dirt bikes in my life to not have elect. start on a RR bike.

I emailed the company and asked if there 4 cell battery would supply adequate power to a (street) ninja 250.

Multiple starts with out running long enough replace charge on several occasions and the battery has shown no problems.
This is for a race bike though.

sowega
April 18th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Would like to try those, but they are illegal for WERA :(

Exactly. :(

Rexbo
January 7th, 2012, 10:55 AM
not to revive an old thread, but further proof Jon's an attention whore:

http://www.motydesign.com/sponsorship.php

4th pic down hahahah

Nemesis
January 7th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Cuz I truly believe in this product. It has NEVER, EVER, let me down. And apparently John Marquez can say the same too...hahaha <--he benefited from my crash (needed battery). LOL

Really guys, you want weight saving this is the way to go. You want reliability this is the way to go.

I'll ask my sponsor if he'll do a group for us specifically for a really good price if you guys are interested.

icbm
January 7th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I have been using Turntec batteries in two of my bikes one being a Turbocharged ZRX1200R and the other a Hayabusa. No problems with starting or charging for 2 years now. The only problem is cold ass weather. Once it hits in the 40s it takes a bit for the batteries to start the bikes but after a few cranks it warms up and does it's job.

wayanlam
January 8th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I'll ask my sponsor if he'll do a group for us specifically for a really good price if you guys are interested.

i could be interested :rolleyes:

Zyconic17
January 9th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I would also be interested in a GB! :)

TnNinjaGirl
March 23rd, 2012, 12:48 PM
Still on for a GB for lithium batteries?