View Full Version : Track related riding gear question

JeffM
March 13th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Thought about posting in the regular Gear Section but felt that I might get a more informed response here about armor (you actually may have crashed wearing them :o ).

What do you wear (shorts and/or back-chest protectors) and what are the positive and negative points of your gear?

Jeff

08ninja250
March 13th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I just wear a back protector but I hav'nt crashed on my back yet so I don't know how good they are although Its comfortable and i don't even rewalise its there when im rididng... I had a crash lastyear and landed on my chest... hurt quite a bit so I'm definately looking for a chest protector this year.

ztrack157
March 13th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I use a knox contour race back protector which is very comfortable and hands down the best out there. Really didn't run a chest protector last year but had a racer take a bike to the chest and it killed him so I will have one this year. Shopping around still probably going to get an impact one made. Short wise the hockey shorts with pads are actually a good fit.

V2Neal
March 13th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I use the Forcefield Pro Sub 4 Back Protector, Race-Lite Chest Protector, and Action Shorts. Very happy with them so far, but have yet to test them. :cool:

http://www.forcefieldperformance.com/

Daeldren
March 14th, 2011, 04:09 AM
As stated above the knox, Forcefield, and alpinestars back protectors are all good choices (dianese and spidi probably aren't bad either). I need to pick up a proper ce2 rated back and chest protector too.

tiggen
March 14th, 2011, 04:52 AM
I wear Knox front and back. I have the older chest protector. Think they make a thinner one now. If you haven't bought leathers yet, make sure to try leathers on with chest and back protector on. I bought my leathers a few years ago and have since added the back protector and then the chest protector. It's a tight squeeze to fit it all in.

kogary
March 14th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I wear a full one-piece AlpineStars race suit and an AlpineStarts back protector vest. I kind of wish the vest had better protection on the chest area though. It just has about 8 hard'ish pads sewn into the vest itself.

JeffM
March 15th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks everyone. Seems that the Knox and Forcefield armor are popular.

Rexbo
March 20th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I wear the dainese armored shorts and back protector (wave2). They're both awesome, but that may be because they happen to fit me pretty well, might not be for everyone. Lowsided once with the shorts on doing about 40 at the track and walked away without even a bruise on my hip that I slid on. Helps that my leathers have a little padding there on top of the plastic armor and padding the shorts have, but imo every bit helps, and sure did in that crash! Haven't had a chance to test the back protector, but I'm definitely looking at getting the back/chest protector. Dainese all the way!

JeffM
March 20th, 2011, 02:11 PM
One more brand to check out. Thanks Steve.

JeffM
May 24th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Bought a TEKNIC Speedstar Spine Guard from a gentleman at my 1st track day / riding school.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/images/InitialSet/teknic_speedstar_spine_guard_400.jpg

Street / racing spec CE spine guard
Developed specifically by Teknic in Italy
Full anatomical spine profile for maximum comfort
8 interlinked plates for energy dispersion, anti-torsion and negative spine distortion
Unique lower spine pivot system
Exceeds new EN1621-2 new CE standards
Breathable comfort backing
Fully adjustable, elastic shoulder and waist straps

It fits well under my leathers and I didn't even notice I was wearing it 90% of the time.

Thanks again for your contributions to my question.

Jeff