View Full Version : So I Crashed!!

HKr1
March 14th, 2011, 11:30 AM
We went to the track this weekend(jenningsgp). Morning was really fun, afternoon we were just taking it easy........ Ever since my first time at this track, T10-11 were not my favorite corners. Well thats what bit me :(
Front took off on me, thought I had it saved up to the point where my head hit the ground.

Anyway, Right thumb is scewed up(wasnt letting go)/left knee/left elbo and some fractured ribs. Think me and gear are more hurt than the bike......
Track days arnt suppose to end with a trip to the hospital.

dubojr1
March 14th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Wow Kerry! Sucks to hear that!

Nemesis
March 14th, 2011, 11:37 AM
That sucks! Heal fast man.

Did they get any pics of the crash? Do you know exactly what you did wrong?

Alex
March 14th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Ouch! Which bike were you on?

slolane
March 14th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Sorry to hear this, wishing you a speedy recovery.

kkim
March 14th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Ouch! Which bike were you on?

I'm guessing the R1... 250s can't go fast enough to get hurt. ;)

Heal up quickly, Kerry. Very sorry to hear of your mishap. :( Are you on pain killers and washing it down with lots of rum or skipping the pain killers and using just the rum? :p

"A"
March 14th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Do you know what happened?
too much speed?
too little speed?
too much brake?
too much lean?
did you hang off the moto enough?

almost40
March 14th, 2011, 12:32 PM
ouch. hope you heal fast.
Funny how "crashes" seem to come about when your taking it easy.
Lack of focus maybe?? Been there, done that.

Indy250r
March 14th, 2011, 01:06 PM
ouch. hope you heal fast.
Funny how "crashes" seem to come about when your taking it easy.
Lack of focus maybe?? Been there, done that.

I read Nick Ienatsch's Sport riding techniques, and he said that it was not unusual for his student's lap times to go down at the end of the day when they were finished with training and were just out riding laps and relaxing.

Alex
March 14th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I think you mean their lap times went down (got better).

rockNroll
March 14th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Or to the side :thumbup:

... heal quick, Kerry.

CC Cowboy
March 14th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Kerry, I heard you were about to better Ben's time, right before you went down.

Hope you feel better soon. Pride takes a while to heal.

HKr1
March 14th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Been in pain/had surgery before..... But these cracked ribs freaking take the cake. Have some pain killers, they dont seem to do much. Either did the shot at the hospital. Cant lay down, can only like sit up.... People at the Valdosta Georgia hospital where cool, big thanks to them.
Also big sorry to the wife for the trauma I put her thru..

Dont know if anybody got pictures. I know I didnt get my CD of pics, the lady there was gonna make me one.

For my speed, I do 1:25's in the morning. After lunch 1:30's. Was following another bike around for a few laps, my little voice saying just hange here and be cool. I did notice a 1:32 before the start of my last lap. Corner is around 70 I think looking at some of my old videos.

Anyway, I remember the front sliding, I caught the bike with my knee, thought I had saved it, I remember a strange engine note.... like maybe the lean angle sensor killed the motor?? Then the front took off, and I was on the ground. Thats all I can really run thru my head.... they ask me a bunch of questions, since it took me awhile to get up. Got all the questions right but what year it is.
Was doing my same riding style, so guess it was just one of those things...

kkim
March 14th, 2011, 03:58 PM
have you asked them for a different pain killer? I know some that I've been given in the past just didn't work and when they switched to different pain medicine, it worked a lot better than the first.

take it easy and heal up, bud. :)

HKr1
March 14th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Wife was trying to get me an appt with our family doctor, I told her no. We had X-rays/CT scan, so what else could they do.

Kelly, my brother is like you. He said go get more pain killers :)
They gave vicodin's, I have a bunch of 7.5 & 10 Lortabs from my surgery's. So Iam taking all of them!

Oh, and I learned dont drink rum with meds! It will get me throwing up, I dont think I could survive that right now :eek:

HKr1
March 14th, 2011, 04:25 PM
My gear.

Really sucks is I dont what jacket and helmet I wanna get...... Boots, yeah. Guess were looking at solid color for a helmet :mad:

austexjg
March 14th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Glad you came out okay for the most part.

davisw4089
March 14th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Well looks like the gear also took quite a beating. Get well soon

mrlmd
March 14th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Take it from me, a retired thoracic/cardiac surgeon, who's seen a lot of chest injuries and fractured ribs in my career --
instead of all those narcotic type meds trying to give you pain relief, get to a thoracic surgeon and ask him to do an intercostal nerve block with local anesthesia of all the levels of broken ribs and the one above and the one below (because of how the intercostal nerves overlap). The pain will be gone within 10 seconds and when the local wears off, the discomfort may be a grade 2 or 3/10 instead of the 7-8-9/10 you're feeling now, and very easily managed then with oral meds. It seems that once you get relief and the pain cycle is broken, it never comes back with the original intensity again. It only takes a few min. to do this and you'll love me (and him) when it's over. I've done this innumerable times and it always works and is the best way to take care of this misery. BTW, be prepared - the pain and soreness of broken ribs is going to last a few weeks. Sorry about the whole thing, at least you will heal fine from the injury and nothing else really bad happened to you.

kkim
March 14th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Take it from me, a retired thoracic/cardiac surgeon, who's seen a lot of chest injuries and fractured ribs in my career --
instead of all those narcotic type meds trying to give you pain relief, get to a thoracic surgeon and ask him to do an intercostal nerve block with local anesthesia of all the levels of broken ribs and the one above and the one below (because of how the intercostal nerves overlap). The pain will be gone within 10 seconds and when the local wears off, the discomfort may be a grade 2 or 3/10 instead of the 7-8-9/10 you're feeling now, and very easily managed then with oral meds. It seems that once you get relief and the pain cycle is broken, it never comes back with the original intensity again. It only takes a few min. to do this and you'll love me (and him) when it's over. I've done this innumerable times and it always works and is the best way to take care of this misery. BTW, be prepared - the pain and soreness of broken ribs is going to last a few weeks. Sorry about the whole thing, at least you will heal fine from the injury and nothing else really bad happened to you.

perhaps you can just bop on over to his house and do this for him in his living room? :p

thanks for some good info. :thumbup:

Indy250r
March 14th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I think you mean their lap times went down (got better).

Oops! Yes, that's what I meant to say. :o

mrlmd
March 14th, 2011, 06:00 PM
kkim - I honestly wish I could. It would make us both feel better (him more than me I bet).
I did this for my 78 year old mother in her bedroom when she fell down and fractured 6 ribs after hitting the curb. You have no idea how quick the relief from pain is.

CThunder-blue
March 15th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Kerry, Sorry to hear you went down, but glad to hear you're still alive. Take care!

CC Cowboy
March 15th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Kerry, I broke a rib playing soccer years back and it took over a year for the pain to go away. Listen to the Doc and go get the right pain treatment. Then send me the rum and other meds and I'll tell you if they make me puke.

Ash
March 15th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Sorry to hear about the crash, get well soon!

HKr1
March 15th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Yeah Marc, stop on by. Iam gonna be home all day :) Thanks for the info, think will have to go thru family doc for a referral.... ER doc said 3-8 weeks, and I fractured 4 & 5. Do you count from the top down, or bottom up?

Tom, you can have all my bottles of rum! IDK about those pills, they come in handy :p

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts :)

mrlmd
March 15th, 2011, 09:17 PM
If you cracked #4 and 5, you would inject the intercostal space below the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th ribs (where the nerves are, below the ribs) to numb the area of your broken ones. Each intercostal nerve as it comes out from the spine has 3 branches that overlap and innervate that particular rib and the one above and the one below. So to totally anesthetize one rib, you have to get three nerves, that one and the one above and the one below, because of the overlap. Clear?
I'd gladly take a trip out there if I had a vial of Lidocaine and some needles and a syringe. I don't need the Fl. license, just do it.
If you can find a doc to do this, if he has Marcaine that's even better - longer lasting, but they both work really well. Maybe by the time you can find someone to do this, your pain might be a little more tolerable, but if you get it done, you'll say "Aaahhh. Thanks."
You might ask your GP, if he doesn't know a local chest surgeon, to see if one of the local anesthesiologists would do that, or call the hospital in Valdosta and see what you can find out from them. How big is the hospital in Pensacola?

bob706
March 15th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Sorry to hear about your wreck Kerry. Get well soon :thumbup:

zilaniz
March 15th, 2011, 09:30 PM
^^^ wouldn't the pain be back after 1-2 hours when the lidocaine wears off though?

mrlmd
March 16th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Zilaniz- It's interesting, but when that local anesthesia wears off the pain never returns at that original level and is much more manageable. Like I said before, it may be a 2-3/10 when it returns, compared to 7-8-9/10 before.

And HKr1- another way to control or manage the pain much better than you are doing now if you don't find someone to inject your back -- Ask your doctor for a prescription for Duragesic patches. They come in three strengths, 25, 50, and 100 micrograms. It is a very potent pain killer called fentanyl in a patch placed on your skin and in what's called a transdermal delivery system. You get a constant absorption of the medicine through the skin, the patch lasts 3 days, then you remove it and replace another one somewhere else on your body (chest, side, eg,). The advantage of this is that there's constant pain relief, not up and down like a roller coaster when you take a pain pill every 4 hours or so, and this drug works much better than Percocet or oxycodone, and there are no side effects at all, like nausea, headache, dizziness, anything.
FYI, you don't get addicted to pain killers or narcotic type drugs if you take them for pain, when the pain is gone and you stop the drug, you're fine and there is no withdrawal or anything so you don't have to worry about that.
You would probably be OK with the 50 microgram patch, they usually come in a box of 5 patches so it would last you 15 days which would probably be enough to get you over this. And if you still needed a little extra pain relief, you could still take one of your pills and you wouldn't OD.
Most doctors are a little reluctant or afraid to prescribe something like this, either because they don't realize how painful and uncomfortable fractured ribs are, they are unaware of this type of therapy, they are afraid of some authority finding out they prescribed a narcotic (which is what this is supposed too be used for), or they don't give a crap how you feel. If your doctor has any compassion or smarts, he may give you an Rx for this if your pain is not controlled with the pills you are taking.

HKr1
March 16th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Maybe by the time you can find someone to do this, your pain might be a little more tolerable, but if you get it done, you'll say "Aaahhh. Thanks."

Aaaahhhh would be great. Hate the whole thing of getting an appt, going for another appt.
But, WOW Lots of info!! Have to think all this over... Wife is leaving in the mornng for Cali, so Iam gonna be on my own now :(

CC Cowboy
March 16th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Kerry, you feeling better yet?

HKr1
March 17th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Kerry, you feeling better yet?

No, thumb is getting better. It's not twice its normal size :rolleyes:

Have an appt with my family doctor tomorrow. Going to tell him all the things you mentioned Marc :thumbup:

Heres a pic for you :)

kkim
March 17th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I'm no doctor (but I did stay in a Holiday Inn), but why are the left and right lungs not symmetrical in the xray? is that due to the swelling occurring below the injury?

sucks to hear you're still in pain. get it resolved asap.

gfloyd2002
March 17th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Heres a pic for you :)

Any incident that results in x-rays posted deserves all of these:

:tsk::Twofinger::suspicious::squint::sorry::shocked::shifty::sad::runaway2: :rant::ohno::mad2::mmph::frown::flipthebird::fear::Cry::crutch::confused30::mad:

mrlmd
March 17th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Kkim - the oval shaped thing in the bottom bulging out to the right side of the picture is called the heart (it's in the left chest).

HKr1 - I don't have the actual film in front of me and any other views, but blowing up that pic you sent to as large as it gets and the quality of it, I only see # 5 fractured, altho it would be easy to miss any others based solely on the quality of that photo.

Let us know what your doc tells you. Have fun driving in the car and go slow, don't make any sudden moves.

kkim
March 17th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Kkim - the oval shaped thing in the bottom bulging out to the right side of the picture is called the heart (it's in the left chest).

lol... cancel my reservations at Holiday Inn, then. :D

I wasn't aware the heart was positioned so low, but now that I think about it, that is about a fist's height above the belly button as they teach you on where to position your compressions in CPR. :)

HKr1
March 17th, 2011, 03:58 PM
First thing the wife said, was look at your heart. I was like, look at that cracked rib :p

Had to drive today. No "ricky racer".... just had to putt along :)

Iam just hoping for drugs from the family doctor. He always sends me else where for other things :(

We have another view of the ribs, side shot. Kinda looks like you can see the other break.....
Couple other favorite pics!

mrlmd
March 17th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Oooh, a big booboo on your thumb too. What color is it now?

HKr1
March 18th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Oooh, a big booboo on your thumb too. What color is it now?

You can see something on that? I was happy not seeing anything on it broken... I thought it was broke, casue it didnt work any more. Swelling is going down(looked like the skin was going to burst, hot dog on broil). But funny you mention the color.... I noticed the other day it's color changing. Looks like a dark yellow/gold I think.

Family doc gave more meds, didnt look at my disk. Got paper work from ER to read. Going back in two weeks........

Need to heal up, so I can work on my bike! And I missing all the nice riding weather!! :)

Fly'in Ninja
March 18th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Wow!!
Wishing you a FAST recovery!! :thumbup: