View Full Version : iOSAT potassium iodide "nuke pills" (thyroid blocker tablets) for *SAN DIEGO* buyers

CZroe
March 18th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hey guys. My mother sent me a few packs of these for Christmas and it seems that everyone in SoCal is going nuts for them. I finally found mine today and figured that if people want to pay such extreme prices, why not sell the extra?

I'm at work in downtown San Diego (Little Italy area) until midnight but I have them with me and they are available for immediate pick-up. We have a lot of SD members here, so I figured I'd mention it here too.

FWIW, I will NOT be consuming mine unless the situation changes drastically, but they will be even harder to get so I am saving mine. I already had a very interesting conversation with a doctor who specializes in treating thyroid cancers with radiation (happened to bump into him at work) and I already know how skeptical people are, but it *is* proven to prevent a certain type of cancer commonly caused by exposure to radioactive materials. That said, save that debate for elsewhere. The research is up to you.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/hab/2275056538.html

$20 for a Ninjetter. :)

CZroe
March 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I'm not sure why it will not let me upload a second pic when I edit my original post, so here it is:

What are you looking at? My 2010 Christmas gift from my mother! The foil things are wallets to keep people from wirelessly stealing my credit card numbers. :D

Actually, I borrowed the gas mask for comedic effect. ;)

CZroe
March 18th, 2011, 10:56 PM
For whatever reason my ad *still* isn't searchable on craigslist. From what I've been told, if it doesn't show within 20 minutes, it isn't going to show, so I guess this is the only place I can sell it.

scotty
March 18th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Is this legal?? Lol Why do people need these type of pills if you don't mind me asking. Is there that much radioactive stuff in San Diego?

CZroe
March 18th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Is this legal?? Lol Why do people need these type of pills if you don't mind me asking. Is there that much radioactive stuff in San Diego?

It's FDA approved and the government stockpiles it anywhere there's a reactor for just this purpose.

It isn't a magical "radiation antidote." It just loads your thyroid gland with an iodine substitue so that it doesn't retain any radioactive iodine from the environment. It's proven to reduce thyroid cancer in exposure events, which is one of the common deadly cancers caused by exposure to radioactive particles.

Basically, the measurable plume from Japan arrived in SoCal today and extra-cautious people had already ran stocks dry days ago. I happened to find the ones my mother sent me for Christmas and decided that if people want to pay so much for it, they can.

00NissanNinja
March 18th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Well they need them to protect their thyroids from radiation. Remember the quake in japan and then the tsunami? Well that caused a couple of their reactors to shut down and they may have an immanent meltdown. There was also damaged that may have caused some radiation to be released into the atmosphere and may flow towards Cali. This means their is a chance of exposure to radiation, which some people in the media suspect will travel 5000 miles to the coast of California. Better safe than sorry I suppose
Edit: beat me to it

kkim
March 19th, 2011, 12:03 AM
:runaway2:

CZroe
March 19th, 2011, 12:36 AM
:runaway2:

:D That's how my mother is acting even though she's on the east coast!

kkim is my canary. I won't be worried until he shows signs. ;)

CC Cowboy
March 19th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I hear they make you turn green (kinda glowing).

bluepoof
March 19th, 2011, 11:15 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42135438/ns/health-health_care/

"[Dr Leonard Wartofsky, spokesman for the Endocrine Society and a thyroid expert] warned that the drug could cause serious reactions in some people and even backfire in the case of an actual emergency, putting people past a two-week window of safe dosage. After that period of time, the drug can induce severe hypothyroidism, a condition that essentially shuts down thyroid function.

'It is inappropriate, foolhardy and dangerous to be taking iodine supplements at this time,' Wartofsky said. 'It’s very important to hold off until it’s absolutely necessary.'

Medical and government officials have stressed that the risk of radiation reaching the U.S. is negligible, and that the risk of any health effects is less than that."

CynicalC
March 19th, 2011, 12:49 PM
The foil things are wallets to keep people from wirelessly stealing my credit card numbers. :D

Are you sure they're not to make hats out of to keep people from stealing your thoughts? ;)

And quoted for truth:

"[Dr Leonard Wartofsky, spokesman for the Endocrine Society and a thyroid expert] warned that the drug could cause serious reactions in some people and even backfire in the case of an actual emergency, putting people past a two-week window of safe dosage. After that period of time, the drug can induce severe hypothyroidism, a condition that essentially shuts down thyroid function.

'It is inappropriate, foolhardy and dangerous to be taking iodine supplements at this time,' Wartofsky said. 'It’s very important to hold off until it’s absolutely necessary.'

Medical and government officials have stressed that the risk of radiation reaching the U.S. is negligible, and that the risk of any health effects is less than that."

CZroe
March 19th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Are you sure they're not to make hats out of to keep people from stealing your thoughts? ;)

And quoted for truth:
Looks like my mother used all the foil making the foil wallets. :tinfoil3:

Exactly, but many people are misinterpreting that as reason not to buy them. If the need arises and you do not have them when the experts DO advise taking them, it's too late. They are already sold out.

CZroe
March 19th, 2011, 10:32 PM
OK, I was "ghosted" on CL. Not sure why but they let me post a much less thorough ad. The Ninjette price is in the OP. :)

FrugalNinja250
March 21st, 2011, 07:11 AM
It's highly unlikely that anything that could possibly happen in a Japanese reactor would be able to release enough radioactive Iodine in sufficient quantities to have any meaningful or significant quantity arrive in this country. In Japan, maybe, but not here.

CZroe
March 22nd, 2011, 10:18 AM
Sold!

It's highly unlikely that anything that could possibly happen in a Japanese reactor would be able to release enough radioactive Iodine in sufficient quantities to have any meaningful or significant quantity arrive in this country. In Japan, maybe, but not here.

The local reactors are a different story. The point is to have them in advance. Weren't we supposed to be saving that discussion for elsewhere? ;)

wvninja
March 22nd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Thyroid and Tyroid Diseases:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/thyroiddiseases.html

Not saying to not buy this, but do so for the right reasons. I 100% agree that when you need it, well it might not be available. Consult your doctor before taking anything you are not familiar with.

CZroe
March 22nd, 2011, 11:17 AM
Thyroid and Tyroid Diseases:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/thyroiddiseases.html

Not saying to not buy this, but do so for the right reasons. I 100% agree that when you need it, well it might not be available. Consult your doctor before taking anything you are not familiar with.

They're already sold. :) I do agree though. They only protect against thyroid cancer caused by the thyroid gland's uptake of radioactive iodine, which was a common cause of death among those exposed at Chernobyl. That radioactivity can still cause cancer anywhere else and you are still vulnerable to all other negative effects of radiation. The only reason to buy them is to be ready to take them when the experts say to. They are stockpiled in regions near reactors but you would have to line up for them when it may make more sense to be getting out of there ahead of the other evacuees. Roads out may be jammed, gas stations may be out of gas, and your little Ninja's range, maneuverability, and fuel economy would then be more important than ever. ;)

wtfh4xx
June 5th, 2011, 11:35 AM

Wrong.
Tepco and Japans gov't admitted recently that reactors #1,2, and 4 are in complete meltdown stage and that containment vessels have multiple 3-4" fissures.
This was last week, right before a super typhoon passed over the same area this last weekend. Where do the wind and sea currents carry all this radiation that includes Cesium-137 which has a 30 year half life (making it deadly for 600 years)? Right to the west coast.

Stay informed. :thumbup:

FrugalNinja250
June 6th, 2011, 06:18 AM
You may say "wrong" all you like, but it doesn't affect the facts. My comment was about radioactive iodine, a very short-lived isotope which has essentially zero chance of making it here. This topic is about pills designed to saturate the thyroid with iodine such that no new iodine can be taken up, presumably useful in an environment where there's a lot of free radioactive iodine available to be absorbed through food and drink, but not here where there is basically none.

I'm very informed on this subject, BTW, probably moreso than many people on this country.

wtfh4xx
June 6th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Lol, go figure. Not 12 hours after I make this post then there is front page CNN confirmation.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/06/06/japan.nuclear.meltdown/index.html

Radioactive iodine is from radioactive isotopes, IE any radioactive substance.
With 3 reactors in full meltdown and multiple containment breaches combined with a super typhoon that had winds up to 150mph im guessing there is a high chance us californians are getting radiation.
Perhaps not deadly but then why did the US up the danger levels of radioactive substances in milk, food , and water by over 3000% from pre-fukushima levels?
Check the 3rd party radiation networks, there are danger level readings fro mall over the US. Even Texas and Arkansas had crazy high readings.
If it got that far it definitely reached us.

My wrong comment was to radioactive isotopes reaching US soil which you say "has essentially zero chance of making it here". I beg to differ.
You are dead on about how the pills work.
I agree the KiO3 pills are a viable solution should a serious situation arise. Not that the gov't would ever tell us. :P

p.s. Even Iodine-131 which is the "short lifed" isotope you refer to has a half life of 8 days.
Wind currents from Japan reach here in 2-3 without storms or pressure systems assisting.

FrugalNinja250
June 6th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Feel free to take a bunch of these pills if it'll make you feel better, mentally that is, physically there are some pretty tough side effects that could put you in the hospital.

I've come to change my mind over the years from staunch pro-nuke to pretty staunch anti-nuke, mainly for economic and political reasons but also because I finally realized that there just isn't a way to do it without a significant risk of just this happening. That being said, I'm not paranoid over radioactives at the levels making it here from Japan via the air. I'm more concerned about the longer-lived calcium analogs such as strontium that wind up in the ocean food chain because humans depend on that food chain quite a bit.

These pills won't make a hill of beans difference to anyone here, and are mainly being sold as a panic/hysteria supplement.

CZroe
June 7th, 2011, 08:35 AM

These pills won't make a hill of beans difference to anyone here, and are mainly being sold as a panic/hysteria supplement.They may if a reactor in your back yard has a problem. The government stockpiles them nearby because of the San Onofre nuclear reactor in San Diego county.

Because I sold the rest of mine too, I'll be in line with everyone else instead of evacuating on my Ninjette. :( San Diego is over-due for a "big one."

CynicalC
June 8th, 2011, 06:22 PM
They may if a reactor in your back yard has a problem. The government stockpiles them nearby because of the San Onofre nuclear reactor in San Diego county.

Because I sold the rest of mine too, I'll be in line with everyone else instead of evacuating on my Ninjette. :( San Diego is over-due for a "big one."

If that's you in your avatar, you should have no problem surviving a little nuclear meltdown. :D

CynicalC
June 8th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Wrong.
Tepco and Japans gov't admitted recently that reactors #1,2, and 4 are in complete meltdown stage and that containment vessels have multiple 3-4" fissures.
This was last week, right before a super typhoon passed over the same area this last weekend. Where do the wind and sea currents carry all this radiation that includes Cesium-137 which has a 30 year half life (making it deadly for 600 years)? Right to the west coast.

Stay informed. :thumbup:

http://xkcd.com/radiation/

azimmer11
July 29th, 2011, 05:09 AM
haters gonna hate

almost40
July 30th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Back from the dead with this thread and were all still here. Go figure, the west coast and its residents arent glowing and azimmer11 is saying haters gona hate.

CZroe
July 31st, 2011, 02:45 AM
Back from the dead with this thread and were all still here. Go figure, the west coast and its residents arent glowing and azimmer11 is saying haters gona hate.

It was never meant to treat or cure glowing neighbors. :)