View Full Version : Where to start?

Mekkakat
March 22nd, 2011, 12:42 PM
So seems the pre-gens don't get a lot of mod love, or at least not nearly as much as the newer gens.

Here's my wishlist, and please help me by adding to it.

Chopped tail
Integrated tail/turns
Flushmount side turn signals
new bar ends
reflective wheel tape
oil change/filter
new sparkies
removing the original decals
new decals

Anything else? I'm not looking for anything performance-wise, and the stock cans are also fine with me. Maybe a new chain or whatever that 15 tooth sprocket mod? Idk, you guys might be able to fill me in though :D

Thank you all in advance!

choneofakind
March 22nd, 2011, 08:45 PM
shim the needles. seriously takes 15 minutes and makes a world of difference. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11963&highlight=DIY+needle+shim

Economical suspension upgrades (front and back).

New tires (I love my BT45's. many people rave about sport demons).

SS brake lines stop the fade you get during hard riding. I'm looking into that this summer.

If you really want to go to pods and rejet, more power to you...

new decals go to http://aavinyl.webs.com/ Kevin's a great guy, also a member of ninjette.

Here's what my bike looks like after a bunch of the cosmetic mods you're looking at doing. Judge for yourself what you want to do.

Yasko
March 22nd, 2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the tips...Nice post...Looking forward to seeing more tips...

Mekkakat
March 23rd, 2011, 02:27 AM
Your bike looks stellar man! Thanks for the shim link too!
Posted via Mobile Device

Mekkakat
March 23rd, 2011, 02:30 AM
Also, is that shim link applicable to our bikes? I shouldn't have any problems doing those basic steps for our bikes right?
Posted via Mobile Device

choneofakind
March 23rd, 2011, 02:23 PM
Yeah the shimming is the same, only difference is getting our fairings off is easier. Go with the recommendations of 1 for stock, 1-2 for slipon, and 2-3 for full system. That will generally get you in the ballpark. Just be careful not to strip the screws.

oh and if you want to re-jet due to a muzzy or AP full system etc, but want to keep the stock airbox, theres a thread on here somewhere on here about how to change the jets without taking off the carbs (real PITA with the airbox) I haven't tried it, but the classic and newgen bikes are basically the same setup I don't see why it wouldn't work

*edit*
here's the thread about changing jets without taking off the carbs. I'm really itching to try this, but Im planning on going to pods and rejet this summer anyways.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10640
*/edit*

Mekkakat
March 23rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
If I was to shim a totally stock bike (i.e. mine), what benefits would I gain?

Just the easier start and more balanced low end throttle?

choneofakind
March 23rd, 2011, 07:18 PM
Exactly. You'll also notice that when you're in a high gear and low rpms, when you give it gas, instead of chugging a couple times as it tries to pull, it just pulls smoothly and much more strongly. If it's a stock bike, just put one washer on each needle and enjoy the results.

Snake
March 23rd, 2011, 07:23 PM
The first mod most people do is install a 15T front sprocket. I highly recommend it. Makes highway riding a joy.

kkim
March 23rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
I put 2 shims on each needle on an otherwise stock pregen and the owner really liked the results.

Mekkakat
March 23rd, 2011, 07:49 PM
The first mod most people do is install a 15T front sprocket. I highly recommend it. Makes highway riding a joy.

Now I've read about this a few times, and all the links I've read are *really* confusing to me.

(I apologize, but I'm still learning about bikes)

From my understanding, I'll need a whole new chain for that though, right?

This could be a big mod for me, just because I'll be doing a lot of highway riding (commuting) with this bike, so it could be a big asset.

Can I just buy any 15t sprocket for my bike, slap it on, throw the stock chain over it and roll?

I'm also beyond lost on chains in general. The links, the size, etc. It's all a little confusing to me lol.

Thank you to the shim advice folks too ^ *very* helpful, and I *will* be doing that mod for sure.

Alex
March 23rd, 2011, 08:09 PM
No need to change chains when going from the 14-tooth front sprocket to a 15-tooth one. All you need to buy is the new sprocket, there should be links in that diy thread to a couple different sprocket manufacturers.

It's not a life-changing mod. Some people swear by it, but all it's really doing is making the revs 14/15ths of what they were prior at the same speed. So if the revs were at 9000 before, now they are at 8400 for that same speed. Lower, but not lifechanging. Some people go way taller on sprockets, to something like 15 up front and 41 in back, which means 9000 rpm stock is now at 7650 rpm, for the same road speed.

Snake
March 23rd, 2011, 08:10 PM
You can use the original chain as long as it is not worn. If it is then you will want to replace the chain and both front and year sprocket at the same time. Your local dealership can order you exactly what you need.

Mekkakat
March 24th, 2011, 08:23 AM
alright, I'm feeling confident about the sprocket thing.

So my bike has 15k miles on it (I hope that's not *too* many in your opinions), and I want to change the oil/filter and clean it super good. I'll probably shim the needles and maybe change that sprocket, but what other maintenance things should I consider? I have a year warranty through the dealer on it.

speedgsx98
March 24th, 2011, 08:58 AM
You'll love the 15t frt sprocket. I commute on the freeway. The bike is really most happy(torquey) in the 8-9500 rpm range. Stock sprockets at 80mph indicated had me at 10500 rpm with the smaller MT-75 tires. I just put on a taller rear tire and have a 15t sprocket on the way. I've run a 15t before on my last 250 ninja and they are def welcome. You'll hardly notice a diff in acceleration, but reduced vibration at highway speeds and better fuel economy.

I just threw on some Volar motorsport mini mirrors yesterday that I had left over in my garage that I was going to try on my ZX-10R. Put them on the 250 and they look cool, but they're non really functional as the mirrors are much smaller and are not convex. I'll leave them on for now as they're good for lane splitting here in CA. I'll get pics up in a few days. Keep an eye out for that =)

I also ordered from D2Moto.com yesterday the in-tail turn signal lenses and lights as well as some aftermarket flush mount front signals that I'm going to try and make work. Use the code WS40 for 40% off which is good for one more day. I also ordered some Volar Motorsport type 1 gloves that were $24 after discount. My "good" gloves wore a hole through the fingers in 1k miles, so this time I'm going cheap ;-)

Mekkakat
March 24th, 2011, 09:06 AM
you're the man Dave, thanks!

CZroe
March 24th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Some suggestions:
-Because AsianCycles.com no longer sells the pre-gen turn signals, I suggest getting new mirrors with integrated blinkers (look on eBay).
-Install mesh in the fairing vents
-I think chrome exhaust when the rest of the hardware is black just looks funny/distracting. I'd take some sandpaper and a can of Rustoleum High Heat flat black paint to it.

-Reshape the front fender. (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51876)
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/bike4.jpg

Is your bike black?
If so:
-Make a cool headlight shape using black tape.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4159&stc=1&d=1253211832
(also, note the mirrors are the same style as the ones with integrated turn signals on eBay)

If not:
-I have yet to see anyone do this, but if you can afford the color-matched paints from ColorRite, I'd love to see someone paint the outer part of a Zero Gravity double-bubble windscreen. While you're at it, you could clean up the squarish headlight.
-You can buy and paint a cowl from Airtech (http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/images/ex24%7E1.JPG) or buy and install a seat cover from CustomSeatCreations.com to make the seat look a lot more modern.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4158&stc=1&d=1253209107
http://www.customseatcreations.com/sitebuilder/images/AS_Black_AS_Silver_COWL_installed-600x435.jpg

choneofakind
March 24th, 2011, 11:05 AM
If you want to go the shaping the headlight route, in this thread, sudapuff used EFX headlight sheet to do his. I've never used it before though.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55970

kkim
March 24th, 2011, 12:25 PM
So my bike has 15k miles on it (I hope that's not *too* many in your opinions), and I want to change the oil/filter and clean it super good. I'll probably shim the needles and maybe change that sprocket, but what other maintenance things should I consider? I have a year warranty through the dealer on it.

When was the last time the valves were checked/adjusted?

Mekkakat
March 24th, 2011, 01:38 PM
When was the last time the valves were checked/adjusted?

Sadly, not a clue. I've been asking the dealership over and over and they all just shrug saying "the parts guys wouldn't let the bike leave without being it top condition". I'm thinking of having someone else look at them to be sure though.

Also, (slightly off topic) what about those ugly little square reflectors? Is there a way to remove or make them... better? lol

choneofakind
March 24th, 2011, 02:05 PM
...sounds like it may be a good time to adjust the valves then

the fender hack will take care of those dopey little reflectors

kkim
March 24th, 2011, 02:32 PM
If you have no written documentation to support that the maintenance was done, work on the assumption that it wasn't. When I buy a used bike, I do preliminary work to bring the bike back up to what it's current maintenance level should be, before I start looking at upgrading any parts. Get it back to a fine, reliable running condition first and then add mods later if you desire.

timely (as per the maintenance schedule) valve adjustments/checks are crucial to the longevity of your engine.

current state of a running bike that I bought that had no records at all (haven't even taken it out for a ride since purchase). I am going on the assumption that nothing was done, so I stripped it down to the frame and am rebuilding/repairing every sub assembly as I gradually rebuild it.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_geC920GCq38/TYuz5-lPMYI/AAAAAAAAGvM/mRBrBFpDK8Q/s720/DSC05800-1.JPG

Mekkakat
March 24th, 2011, 02:34 PM
...sounds like it may be a good time to adjust the valves then

the fender hack will take care of those dopey little reflectors

From my understanding, the guy in that thread got rid of those reflectors only by taking them off, filling the holes with putty, and painting over them.

I don't wanna paint the bike, just remove or make them look better (the reflectors that is)

Mekkakat
March 24th, 2011, 02:46 PM
If you have no written documentation to support that the maintenance was done, work on the assumption that it wasn't. When I buy a used bike, I do preliminary work to bring the bike back up to what it's current maintenance level should be, before I start looking at upgrading any parts. Get it back to a fine, reliable running condition first and then add mods later if you desire.

timely (as per the maintenance schedule) valve adjustments/checks are crucial to the longevity of your engine.

current state of a running bike that I bought that had no records at all (haven't even taken it out for a ride since purchase). I am going on the assumption that nothing was done, so I stripped it down to the frame and am rebuilding/repairing every sub assembly as I gradually rebuild it.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_geC920GCq38/TYuz5-lPMYI/AAAAAAAAGvM/mRBrBFpDK8Q/s720/DSC05800-1.JPG

Holy crap Kkim, I wish I was as skilled as you in bikes, but the truth is, I'm a newbie.

I'm trying my best to start with only the basics, and I called my dealership and they told me they were doing almost word for word what you said. It's been a week and I still can't pick up my bike because they're going through it, adjusting and fixing everything and anything that looks worn. I specifically asked to talk to parts and the guy told me they adjusted the valves as a priority, so I guess I should take their words, as they seem to really be taking care of me. They also slapped new tires on it.

I'm still going to oil change/filter, spark plugs, and have a mechanic friend (that does cars) give it his best look though.

Then it might be (in this general order):

shim
new brake pads if needed
15t
new chain if needed
(possibly) different shocks, but I'll need to look into all that jazz

then cosmetics:

decal removal
fender cut
tail light integration
reflective wheel tape
one of those blinky tail light modulators (can't seem to find an 07 one)
tank pad
flush side markers
xenon headlight bulb (recommendations appreciated)
bar ends
nicer mirrors
new softer grips (recommendations appreciated)
new rider and passenger footpegs
my own decals :P

And that should do it. Do any of those things sound useless or not good for the bike? All in all, it should be a cheap job. From stock to how I want it, basically I've bookmarked and priced everything to about $200 flat, which is awesome.

Now that the bike is getting up to par, and I have all of my gear (except good pants), I feel like I can start considering these small upgrades (and I'll post pictures of course! hehe)

Thoughts?

kkim
March 24th, 2011, 03:01 PM
may I suggest you find a service manual for your bike and start learning to do some work on your own to save money? plus, you'll know what's been done and not have to rely on someone's word that it has?

if you missed it, here's a good place to start for people looking to learn how to work on their bikes...
http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

I'm not suggesting your strip your bike back down to the frame, but was merely pointing out how anal I am about taking someone's word about what has been done and my remedy.

here's a link to the maintenance schedule for your bike...
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Service_Schedule

Mekkakat
March 24th, 2011, 03:05 PM
may I suggest you find a service manual for your bike and start learning to do some work on your own to save money? plus, you'll know what's been done and not have to rely on someone's word that it has?

if you missed it, here's a good place to start for people looking to learn how to work on their bikes...
http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

I'm not suggesting your strip your bike back down to the frame, but was merely pointing out how anal I am about taking someone's word about what has been done and my remedy.

here's a link to the maintenance schedule for your bike...
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Service_Schedule

I have the manual, but I'm baffled by a lot of the exploded views and descriptions. I'll surely look into learning more about my bike and how it works though. Thank you for the links.

choneofakind
March 24th, 2011, 03:06 PM
You forgot the most important part right after changing the oil and checking things over. RIDE IT and HAVE FUN! Go out and ride it to see what we're talking about changing so you understand why we want to share our experiences with you. Figure out all the bikes little nit picky parts of its' attitude and then go about modding it. Make it how you want, not just how all us crackpots online say it should be. I've made changes to my bike after asking lots of questions and reading tons, but I haven't yet made a change that I didn't think either a) fixed a problem or b) made it more aesthetically pleasing to me, myself, and I.

and kkim. damn. dedication and knowhow :thumbup:

Mekkakat
March 24th, 2011, 03:09 PM
You forgot the most important part right after changing the oil and checking things over. RIDE IT and HAVE FUN! Go out and ride it to see what we're talking about changing so you understand why we want to share our experiences with you. Figure out all the bikes little nit picky parts of its' attitude and then go about modding it. Make it how you want, not just how all us crackpots online say it should be. I've made changes to my bike after asking lots of questions and reading tons, but I haven't yet made a change that I didn't think either a) fixed a problem or b) made it more aesthetically pleasing to me, myself, and I.

and kkim. damn. dedication and knowhow :thumbup:

Well yeah, I def want to ride it a good bit to see how things are feeling and what I think needs changed/fixed/modified, so I know what's up.

You guys are all so helpful. Thank you all again.

kkim
March 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM
we try to help those that are willing to listen to avoid having them waste their time on failures we have experienced/seen. That you take the time to listen shows that you're on your way to a long and successful riding career.

yes... get the bike running well first and then deal with fixing, modifying what doesn't work for you. The best thing you can do right now is experience the feeling of riding. Once you're hooked, you'll be willing to do anything to keep your baby well maintained and a source of pride.

as a rider of multiple bikes, I've learned that each has their own quirks and "must have fixes" before they are reliable and a bike that you can begin to build some sort of trust with. no bike is perfect, so work on the warts before you start tying ribbons on yours. :)

ride and enjoy the bike and you'll soon find you can't wipe that $hit eating grin off your face, no matter how hard you try. :D

GL...

Mekkakat
March 24th, 2011, 03:20 PM
we try to help those that are willing to listen to avoid having them waste their time on failures we have experienced/seen. That you take the time to listen shows that you're on your way to a long and successful riding career.

yes... get the bike running well first and then deal with fixing, modifying what doesn't work for you. The best thing you can do right now is experience the feeling of riding. Once you're hooked, you'll be willing to do anything to keep your baby well maintained and a source of pride.

as a rider of multiple bikes, I've learned that each has their own quirks and "must have fixes" before they are reliable and a bike that you can begin to build some sort of trust with. no bike is perfect, so work on the warts before you start tying ribbons on yours. :)

ride and enjoy the bike and you'll soon find you can't wipe that $hit eating grin off your face, no matter how hard you try. :D

GL...

Thanks Kkim :)

mhobie16
April 3rd, 2011, 10:31 PM
good thoughts on gearing,thanks